Home

User QB play - major issue with Madden/Football games?

This is a discussion on User QB play - major issue with Madden/Football games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2021, 06:02 AM   #1
Rookie

lawspecter816's Arena

OVR: 0

Hello everyone,

just wanted to post one impression/issue I have and see if anyone else thinks similar and maybe is even able to provide a "fix":

User QB play: Over the years I got pretty good at reading coverages and in particular quick post snap reads. To be honest: This is in my opinion the number one skill for a QB to have. Best examples are Brady and Manning: Both did never have the most spectacular arm. But they did excel at the mental part of being a QB.

This mental part however, is completely done by the user when playing offense. Rating do not play a role in this. There begins my problem in Franchise: I do not need an Elite QB. All I need is a decently accurate QB to do most things I want to do on the field. If he is a bit athletic as well, that's a plus. Best example: Justin Fields. He has a big arm, is rather accurate and athletic. But in real life he has major problems with the mental part, in particular reading defenses quick enough and getting rid of the ball quick enough. These flaws do not apply if I user him, however. Therefore I could be Elite with him from the get go (if would not have such a bad supporting cast in Chicago).

I think you understand where my problem ist. Anyone feels similar? Actually that's not a critiscim of EA here. It is hard to imagine how to implement a more rating based approach in User QB play without handcuffing the game play too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #2
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Re: User QB play - major issue with Madden/Football games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawspecter816
Hello everyone,

just wanted to post one impression/issue I have and see if anyone else thinks similar and maybe is even able to provide a "fix":

User QB play: Over the years I got pretty good at reading coverages and in particular quick post snap reads. To be honest: This is in my opinion the number one skill for a QB to have. Best examples are Brady and Manning: Both did never have the most spectacular arm. But they did excel at the mental part of being a QB.

This mental part however, is completely done by the user when playing offense. Rating do not play a role in this. There begins my problem in Franchise: I do not need an Elite QB. All I need is a decently accurate QB to do most things I want to do on the field. If he is a bit athletic as well, that's a plus. Best example: Justin Fields. He has a big arm, is rather accurate and athletic. But in real life he has major problems with the mental part, in particular reading defenses quick enough and getting rid of the ball quick enough. These flaws do not apply if I user him, however. Therefore I could be Elite with him from the get go (if would not have such a bad supporting cast in Chicago).

I think you understand where my problem ist. Anyone feels similar? Actually that's not a critiscim of EA here. It is hard to imagine how to implement a more rating based approach in User QB play without handcuffing the game play too much.
The best thing madden can do for QB is the vision cone or some kind of vision mechanic. I know it was controversial bc some people found it hard but it was the most innovative they’ve done. Move it with the right stick or use one of the triggers and the receiver icon to “snap” to that receiver.

The god view on madden makes it to easy to quickly read the defense and get the ball out, and they try to alleviate this by making pass blocking suck even if the offensive line has good ratings(at least on all-madden)
Old 12-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawspecter816
Hello everyone,

They did have a fix for that with the vision cone yrs ago but people hated it. But it was rhe most realistic thing that people didn't want. They claim they want simulation but when it was really implemented they complained so EA took it out

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
Rookie

lawspecter816's Arena

Heard about the vision cone before. But that was before I started with Madden.

I tried to use the zoom cam for passing. But contrary to the "god view" in standard cam I am under the impression that you see not enough of the field.. especially to the outside. Also the higher difficulty for passing would influence all the QB the same.. ideally I would like some differentiation.. right now, to be honest, in Franchise it is just not worth it to invest into a top tier QB. I do it nonetheless to keep things balanced...

Last edited by lawspecter816; 12-09-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Unfortunately I think the only way around this is a mechanic that’s ratings based and not user based which is obviously something the competitive crowd would freak about. The vision cone while a neat mechanic is still user-based so a good user can be good with a poor quarterback. In my opinion quarterbacks with less awareness need to have more of a penalty when throwing under pressure and just be less accurate in general. Again something the competitive crowd won’t go for and we already know they won’t make it so just for franchise mode or simulation mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
Unfortunately I think the only way around this is a mechanic that’s ratings based and not user based which is obviously something the competitive crowd would freak about. The vision cone while a neat mechanic is still user-based so a good user can be good with a poor quarterback. In my opinion quarterbacks with less awareness need to have more of a penalty when throwing under pressure and just be less accurate in general. Again something the competitive crowd won’t go for and we already know they won’t make it so just for franchise mode or simulation mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Not really with the vision cone mediocre qbs had a thin cone that turned slower so it was definitely ratings based not user based that's why people hated because they said they could see their player open but the qb couldn't because his vision cone was not turned to him or was fast enough. Have you actually played it with a bad qb it was hard

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

The only thing that would remotely make QB similar to RL would be making it VR. Giving users the god mode view eliminates the blind side, prevents the defense from following the QBs eyes or obstructing his vision, eliminates most weather effects, and makes it just as easy to read defenses as 5'10 Kyler Murray as 6'6 Justin Herbert.

I personally don't see the problem in a user being able to outperform the RL player by using their brain - that's the whole reason I enjoy playing the video game. But the user has advantages in the interface that the RL player never will.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Rookie

They could have a sort of vision attribute for QB's, and blur out parts of the screen where his vision attribute is weak. Sort of like the squiggly lines when the other team has momentum but without the shaking.

Or maybe just actually make it blurry. Imagine that plus the other team having momentum... I don't know about you but if the defense were blurred out in spots while also having squiggly lines all over the field I'd definitely feel like a rookie QB.

As the QB progresses (not all QB's obviously) the defense gets clearer and clearer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »