Home

AO International Tennis

This is a discussion on AO International Tennis within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #193
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: AO International Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDring
I am not sure if it just due to the huge disappointment I had after buying Tennis World Tour, but this game seems pretty good so far despite the reviews.

It's not perfect, but it certainly fills the huge gap left since Virtua Tennis and Top Spin ended.

The less said about TWT the better.
I too am having fun with AO - I was originally waiting for TWT but the delayed and botched launch meant I bought AO on the basis of a handful of more recent youtube vids that said 'its got a bit better with patches'.

In fairness to TWT, AO (the game) also had a terrible not finished launch way back in January (just in Australia / NZ) to meet the tie in deadline with AO coverage in real life. A lot of the early reviews said it was unplayable and apparently v1 was pretty terrible... its since had multiple patches and was launched in the rest of the world in May in a better state (not perfect but playable). It also has some design choices (how movement / aiming and timing works) and animation (its unrealistic for a pro tennis player some say) that divides opinion - I like both but others hate it.. and these are things that can't really be patched out without a total rewrite or upsetting those that do like it as it is. So I'm going to reserve final judgement on TWT and breakpoint studio for 4 months (same time AO took to shape up)... but then I'm lucky and didn't pre-order TWT at full price like those that are so angry have... I will probably be able to pick it up fairly cheaply by then.

However, with regards to BigBen (the publisher of TWT who apparently admitted in interview that its no where near finished but they are happy it will still make a profit due to a lack of return options at retail, so they can just fix it over the coming year or in the next version), I will NEVER buy one of their game at full price unless I know its in a working, final state - seriously, we all know companies release unfinished product sometimes but to be so blatant and unapologetic, is terrible*

*with the caveat that I have only read a poorly translated version of the quote - perhaps it lost something in translation / was out of context but BigBen should be doing damage control asap if that's the case.

Last edited by nicols; 06-06-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: accidentally posted before finishing
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #194
Rookie

TMuss's Arena

OVR: 2

A thing I've found that AO does extremely well vs other tennis games like the Top Spin series is the number of unforced errors that occur. I've been thinking the past few days that I'm not having near the winners that I'm used to and that the unforced errors are way too high. But now that I think back on it (and compared to real life), Top Spin and other games were the other way around where you would hit way too many winners vs unforced errors. I guess over the years my mind has been trained to win points due to hitting killer shots down the line vs keeping a rally alive just to force a long or wide shot.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #195
Rookie

www youtube com/watch?v=pRmW-0qy6M0&t=597s

At minute 9:57 there's a shot bug, where the player tries to hit the ball with a 2 hands backhand shot but the ball follow a wrong direction and is damn to fast. It's easy to spot and I guess easy to fix.

Also I've noticed smash shots are way to fast. Their speed should be lowered down a little to feel more realistic.

A guy in the live comments talked about a possible aces-streak bug.

Alla bugs that can be easily fixe, luckily 👍

I'm still hoping in summer sales on Steam for AO Tennis because TWT key costs 23,27€ but the game sucks IMHO, also considering the horrible news about this alleged scam by Big Ben.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #196
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hi everyone,

I downloaded the game yesterday for PS4 and I have the patch 1.09, but I cant update to latest version.

Someone can help me?

Tks...
Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #197
Rookie

Bulletproof86's Arena

To play online is still very irritating!
The speed and physics of the ball makes no difference on different surfaces.
Me and my friend playing against each other: it is a Ace Battle!!
And it doesn't matter if the ball comes with 150 kmh or 230 it's the same!
Offline is ok to play against AI but online it makes no sense!
I hope you will patch this!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Operation Sports mobile app

- Michael GOAT Jordan -
Old 06-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #198
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof86
To play online is still very irritating!
The speed and physics of the ball makes no difference on different surfaces.
Me and my friend playing against each other: it is a Ace Battle!!
And it doesn't matter if the ball comes with 150 kmh or 230 it's the same!
Offline is ok to play against AI but online it makes no sense!
I hope you will patch this!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Operation Sports mobile app

You will like an upcoming patch for sure
Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #199
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FELIX1970
Hi everyone,

I downloaded the game yesterday for PS4 and I have the patch 1.09, but I cant update to latest version.

Someone can help me?

Tks...

PS4 should be updated automatically when online and signed in.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #200
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicols
I too am having fun with AO - I was originally waiting for TWT but the delayed and botched launch meant I bought AO on the basis of a handful of more recent youtube vids that said 'its got a bit better with patches'.

In fairness to TWT, AO (the game) also had a terrible not finished launch way back in January (just in Australia / NZ) to meet the tie in deadline with AO coverage in real life. A lot of the early reviews said it was unplayable and apparently v1 was pretty terrible... its since had multiple patches and was launched in the rest of the world in May in a better state (not perfect but playable). It also has some design choices (how movement / aiming and timing works) and animation (its unrealistic for a pro tennis player some say) that divides opinion - I like both but others hate it.. and these are things that can't really be patched out without a total rewrite or upsetting those that do like it as it is. So I'm going to reserve final judgement on TWT and breakpoint studio for 4 months (same time AO took to shape up)... but then I'm lucky and didn't pre-order TWT at full price like those that are so angry have... I will probably be able to pick it up fairly cheaply by then.

However, with regards to BigBen (the publisher of TWT who apparently admitted in interview that its no where near finished but they are happy it will still make a profit due to a lack of return options at retail, so they can just fix it over the coming year or in the next version), I will NEVER buy one of their game at full price unless I know its in a working, final state - seriously, we all know companies release unfinished product sometimes but to be so blatant and unapologetic, is terrible*

*with the caveat that I have only read a poorly translated version of the quote - perhaps it lost something in translation / was out of context but BigBen should be doing damage control asap if that's the case.

I won't directly address the issues of BigBen but will say that the issues with AO in January were poor design choices - we just screwed up the movement and control systems - focus groups enjoyed it and we kept going down that path. We have since listened to the vast majority of requests and have set about implanting the changes asked for.

Last weeks and this weeks patches, hopefully live by the weekend, change gameplay quite fundamentally, we are on a path to redemption, we understand what we released was not what people wanted.

All updates, that be for patches, content (expect more in January for the AO) or access will be free for the entire life of this product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »