Home

WWE Off-Topic

This is a discussion on WWE Off-Topic within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #18441
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: WWE Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Dreamer is at least getting suspended for something he did this year. I've no clue what would have happened to Flair in WWE, but this stuff has been known on the record for a long time.
Can we not say this for just about every Dark Side though?

Sometimes a story is still worth telling, and if we can hear old stories and still point out that what happened to Bruiser Brody was ****ed up, what Moolah did was ****ed up, what Jimmy Snuka did was ****ed up, what Chris Benoit did was ****ed up, Owen Hart's death, Grizzly Smith, etc. then there's no real problem in hearing an old story and acknowledging that what Ric Flair did was ****ed up too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #18442

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

The thing about Flairs case is that everyone knows the stories, and that's part of the "legend" that is Ric Flair. So if people turn on him, it won't exactly make sense since we knew this all along and not just knew it, but he was basically celebrated for the "kiss stealing, wheeling and dealing" part of his life.

There's literally an episode of WWE Story Time where Flair mentions one of his (many) plane stories, which basically just was about him wearing his robe, I think the title, and nothing else, and showed it off to the flight attendant(s) and you can guess the rest.

Reading the reactions online, I think most seem to just brush off Flairs stuff because we know that's nothing new from him. The bigger takeaways I've read is that people obviously hate that this was what the lockerroom was like back then. Between things like that, and names like Hardcore Holly, JBL, Benoit and others running/bullying the lockerroom for years, it really makes you wonder about those eras.

And there's still old school people (not just from wrestling, even past sports players) who rip on the current generation for "playing video games backstage before and after the show". Like said before, would you rather a lockerroom play video games or do the things people did in the 00s,90s,80s and before.

Last edited by Majingir; 09-17-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #18443

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan

Sometimes a story is still worth telling, and if we can hear old stories and still point out that what happened to Bruiser Brody was ****ed up, what Moolah did was ****ed up, what Jimmy Snuka did was ****ed up, what Chris Benoit did was ****ed up, Owen Hart's death, Grizzly Smith, etc. then there's no real problem in hearing an old story and acknowledging that what Ric Flair did was ****ed up too.
It's 100% legit worth telling and acknowledging. My only thing is it's strange to need something to happen to these guys just because we saw a show on Vice in 2021.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #18444

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Just saw the episode.

Not as bad as I would've expected, but definitely horrible.

Fully see why Dreamer got in trouble. He not only acts like what happened was no big deal, he basically doubles down on it too and acts like people who had a problem with it are wrong.

The Scott Hall stuff, I do believe he has no memory of what he did. Definitely sounds like he was on a bunch of stuff beyond just being drunk like the others.

The Flair stuff obviously was horrible, and you just wonder what would've happened if he actually did get suspended or fired. Would he have ever gotten a second chance, gone elsewhere? Obviously Vince was the one calling those shots and clearly chose to keep Flair.

The worst part to me in all this was the RVD/Terri comments. Knowing the type of women WWE hired during the AE, you can't even imagine the stuff they probably went through during those times. Not sure how extreme of stuff Terri was implying, but definitely sounds beyond disgusting what happened to her. And RVD basically giving off the "this stuff is normal, don't dig deep into guys past because you won't like what you find".

Like I said before, I'm so glad we have the type of people we have in WWE now. If anything, the more stories I hear about the past, the more I really appreciate someone like a Cena for being that new lockerroom leader and not being the type of guy many of those other top stars seemed to be.

And a guy like Woods who you could argue is one of the big reasons why the lockerroom has turned into "video game nerds", in a good way. I know Kofi on their podcast has often spoken about how much better the lockerroom is now vs when he first started too.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #18445
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
Yeah we as fans already know and heard about the stories, so none of this is new to us except for the things like RVD saying a certain culture was treated as normal which is messed up. I think it was more so about the non fans hearing about this in 2021 and trying some cancel culture stuff.
Him saying it was normal isn't mind blowing though. I agree it's terrible but, again, if you've been following wrestling since the 80s/90s, it's not a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Who’s to say they aren’t though? I think it’d be naive to assume that they’re squeaky clean out here just because WE haven’t heard about it.
Bruh, it's different. Social media has proven that. We've seen Creed get down with Paige, Charlotte's Forrest Whitaker package, etc. We had to wait for playboy deals in our day to see anything close to that.

They may not be squeaky clean today but there's a clear difference from the past and today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan

Pretty much. It was "acceptable" then but still ****ed up. Today, it's unacceptable and still ****ed up.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #18446
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
The thing about Flairs case is that everyone knows the stories, and that's part of the "legend" that is Ric Flair. So if people turn on him, it won't exactly make sense since we knew this all along and not just knew it, but he was basically celebrated for the "kiss stealing, wheeling and dealing" part of his life.

There's literally an episode of WWE Story Time where Flair mentions one of his (many) plane stories, which basically just was about him wearing his robe, I think the title, and nothing else, and showed it off to the flight attendant(s) and you can guess the rest.
You’re not wrong, but I don’t think they ever mentioned “made other people touch him” as part of those stories though. That’s kinda where my line is, I guess. Flair putting on the robe and helicoptering around? I wouldn’t want to see it, but at least in a way he’s keeping it to himself. But taking someone’s hand and making them touch him? Nah, no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
It's 100% legit worth telling and acknowledging. My only thing is it's strange to need something to happen to these guys just because we saw a show on Vice in 2021.
I think we more or less agree on the overall points. I’m not speaking for or against any repercussions for any of these guys - I think that should be between them and their employers or potential employers - but we (speaking generally, not specific to here) don’t have to sweep stuff aside as a ‘everyone knows about it already’ thing.

There’s something to be said for being able to take a step back like JR and RVD seemed to and realize that something happened but also that it shouldn’t have. Or we could be like Tommy Dreamer, a 50 year old man who’s still putting over Ric Flair’s dick in 2021.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #18447
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Bruh, it's different. Social media has proven that. We've seen Creed get down with Paige, Charlotte's Forrest Whitaker package, etc. We had to wait for playboy deals in our day to see anything close to that.

They may not be squeaky clean today but there's a clear difference from the past and today.

Pretty much. It was "acceptable" then but still ****ed up. Today, it's unacceptable and still ****ed up.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
To me, the only difference are the consequences are “harsher” now, in the sense that it affects your money so they’ll go to great lengths to make sure their dirt doesn’t get out because they know social media will be on that ***.

Folks back then didn’t have to hide **** because there really wouldn’t be any type of real consequences from society. And like you said, it was accepted.

That’s just how I think personally because I assume most people got some type of dirt on them anyway, as far as this industry goes.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #18448
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Charlotte's Forrest Whitaker package,

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »