Home
News Post

Operation Sports staff members Chris Sanner, TJ Cutini, Chase Becotte, and Patrick Williams all check in this week with a four-way roundtable discussing the exclusive NFL license EA Sports just locked up until 2013.

Quote:
"Word came a couple of weeks ago that the NFL and EA Sports were going to extend their exclusive agreement until at least 2013. It can certainly be argued the deal has been bad for the industry - putting the up and coming NFL 2K series on the chopping block.

But has the deal even been good for EA Sports? Operation Sport's roundtable will discuss."

Game: Madden NFL 08Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / Wii / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 bhurst99 @ 02/27/08 03:36 PM
"But has the deal even been good for EA Sports?"

Is that a serious question? It has been a terrific deal for EA Sports as Madden sells like crazy every year because there is no NFL competition. There are very few brands that are as big as Madden. Has the product suffered because there is no competition? Sure, but that is a different question.

# 2 StormJH1 @ 02/27/08 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
"But has the deal even been good for EA Sports?"

Is that a serious question? It has been a terrific deal for EA Sports as Madden sells like crazy every year because there is no NFL competition. There are very few brands that are as big as Madden. Has the product suffered because there is no competition? Sure, but that is a different question.
I'm curious what they'll come up with on that as well. Sales figures are speculative in video gaming, but I think it's clear that Madden was dominant in sales both before and after 2004's exclusive deal.

But I never really saw EA's exclusive deal as an effort to generate more sales, and that's what's so sinister about it. Rather, I saw it as a defensive move against an up-and-comer that was willing to: a) Innovate their product from year to year, and b) Challenge industry standards by offering a top-level game for $19 at retail. EA didn't want to compete with that, and didn't want to lose sales...so they took a gamble that it would be more cost-effective to simply buy the NFL out, rather than lose momentum and sales.

You have to remember that 2k5 was really the first year the 2k had generated ANY significant buzz for its sports title, and a lot of that was because of the price. To this day, there are tons of people who never played 2k5, or viewed it as an inferior product, much the way 989 Sports was viewed early in this decade. EA was very afraid of losing their annual cash cow, so they reacted negatively.

Aside from the hardcore fans who understand the implications of the exclusive license (and realize what 2k could have been), there's little risk for EA. The biggest negative for them is probably negative PR, but they get so much positive PR from gaming publications, NFL players, Madden Nation TV shows, and so on, that it doesn't really matter.

# 3 StormJH1 @ 02/27/08 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolini
Even if you are a Madden fan, how can this be a positive?
Totally agree. I never get mad at anyone because they like Madden, or even if they say they hated 2k5. People are entitled to play game they like. But I ALWAYS get angry with Madden fans who can't fathom how their game would be different if there was ANY level of competition to push it forward.

By the way, this idea that if EA bought Take Two, that Madden would simply apply 2k's gameplay and controls and add graphics and polish...that's ridiculous. There is zero incentive for EA to change a product and risk alienating its fans, many of whom are not sophisiticated video gamers, by screwing with the control scheme and gameplay of a former competitor.

# 4 Blazelore @ 02/27/08 04:39 PM
I agree that Madden needs to step up but what people don't realize is the NFL offered this exclusive deal to the highest bidder because it was no longer interested in multilicensing. Disney was in the bidding too. What if they would have won? Could you imagine how things would be? EA did what everyone else was trying to do when the opportunity came. They didn't just go to the NFL and say we want exclusitivity. It was offered to whoever was interested as long as they're willing to pay for it. Madden needs to get better and I believe it will but people getting angry at EA getting the license are mad at the wrong people. Be mad at the NFL. They put all game developers in a position where a monopoly would get created by default. Its the NFL's doing!

# 5 Cardot @ 02/27/08 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
By the way, this idea that if EA bought Take Two, that Madden would simply apply 2k's gameplay and controls and add graphics and polish...that's ridiculous. There is zero incentive for EA to change a product and risk alienating its fans, many of whom are not sophisiticated video gamers, by screwing with the control scheme and gameplay of a former competitor.

Not to mention that it would be alot of work to integrate the two games together. Definately not worth it to EA.

# 6 TJdaSportsGuy @ 02/27/08 08:02 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys. You guys all need to set up your mini-avatars so they'll show up on the main page. Go to User CP to see how.

# 7 SageInfinite @ 02/27/08 08:42 PM
Good read guys. I share alot of the same thoughts as you guys. I wish the majority of the Madden and EA fans felt this way. The only way to show EA that we aren't feeling how the Madden franchise is moving along is through their wallets. Like I said in another post Madden is going to have to be a substantial improvement to get my 60 this year.

# 8 thaima1shu @ 02/27/08 09:19 PM
I agree with Sage. There's definitely no way that I would buy another Madden product unless I see a substantial improvement. It's frustrating that the game never seems to really get better with each year.

# 9 Scott @ 02/27/08 09:48 PM
I agree, I actually haven't bought Madden since 2005. I don't plan on buying it until NG plays better than CG.

# 10 spankdatazz22 @ 02/27/08 09:50 PM
Nice roundtable discussion. Really loving the new OS content; will be ashamed if the number of games and subjects that can be discussed is reduced further

# 11 Kramer5150 @ 02/27/08 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazelore
I agree that Madden needs to step up but what people don't realize is the NFL offered this exclusive deal to the highest bidder because it was no longer interested in multilicensing. Disney was in the bidding too. What if they would have won? Could you imagine how things would be? EA did what everyone else was trying to do when the opportunity came. They didn't just go to the NFL and say we want exclusitivity. It was offered to whoever was interested as long as they're willing to pay for it. Madden needs to get better and I believe it will but people getting angry at EA getting the license are mad at the wrong people. Be mad at the NFL. They put all game developers in a position where a monopoly would get created by default. Its the NFL's doing!
This is a post I wrote in the "Madden 09 will be special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
According to this,it was EA that "planted the seed"......

The deal, one EA admits to having lobbied for over the past few years, is an exclusive five-year licensing deal granting EA the sole rights to the NFL's teams, stadiums, and players. However, the publisher and Players Inc. denied a similar deal was in the works in May 2004, even requesting publications that ran the story run public retractions.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6114977.html

But the Madden 2005 game was seriously challenged by NFL 2K5, thanks to good reviews and a pricing war. NFL 2K5 was available in stores in July for $19.95. For three months, the Madden game was priced at $49.95, until the company finally relented on Nov. 8 and lowered it by $20.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1945691

But 2004 brought competition like EA had not experienced before. Take Two Interactive teamed up with Sega and ESPN to offer "ESPN NFL 2K5," which critics said was as good, if not better, than "Madden". Beyond that, the game was priced at a rock-bottom $19.99 (which EA finally matched on Nov. 8).
http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/comm...column_gaming/

Kind of coincidental huh? They face the competition,but instead of improving,they simply lock up exclusivity.
TBH....I have not seen ONE thing in Madden games that called for exclusivity.
As for the cats that say "09 is going to be great"...my question to you is, why do you think that?
This "wait till next year" mentality has been going on well since last gen....what makes you think 09 will be any different?

Now...based on that,it WAS indeed EA who was the first to initiate exclusivity. I'm tired of seeing "it was the NFL" or don't solely "blame EA".
As far as this whole "bidding" thing goes.....who did you really expect to win? I believe it was just a simple "formality" when in essence,everybody knew who was going to get it.

What would Disney want with it?? Everybody knows the 2 main players were EA and 2k.
As far as Madden getting better? It's hard to say. Based on the last 3 offerings,I wouldn't hold my breath on "groundbreaking" improvements.
What I believe it will be....minimal improvements,slap some ridiculous feature on the box...call it a day.

Remember....like I said in my quoted post. This whole "wait till next year" rap has been going on well since last gen.
What makes anybody think 09 will "be the year"?

# 12 unfriendlyghst @ 02/27/08 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazelore
Madden needs to get better and I believe it will but people getting angry at EA getting the license are mad at the wrong people.

This is a big misconseption(sp?) that a lot of people are mad that EA bought the license. Even though you can always find one or two people who do hate for that reason, the majority of people hate EA because THEY CANT/WONT IMPROVE UPON THEIR GAME. Anyone who denies this is kidding themselves. The fact remains that there is a lot of Madden haters, and a lot of Madden worshippers, but I would put money on the fact that if they made a great game year after year, the people who hated on EA would look extremely foolish. Case in point, no one ever complains about the GTA series because they make great games.

# 13 Kramer5150 @ 02/27/08 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Nice roundtable discussion. Really loving the new OS content; will be ashamed if the number of games and subjects that can be discussed is reduced further
I agree 100% . I feel this could be a really great and informative thread,as long as it doesn't get out of hand.....which I'm hoping cats can be adult enough about the topic.

# 14 Kramer5150 @ 02/27/08 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfriendlyghst
This is a big misconseption(sp?) that a lot of people are mad that EA bought the license. Even though you can always find one or two people who do hate for that reason, the majority of people hate EA because THEY CANT/WONT IMPROVE UPON THEIR GAME. Anyone who denies this is kidding themselves. The fact remains that there is a lot of Madden haters, and a lot of Madden worshippers, but I would put money on the fact that if they made a great game year after year, the people who hated on EA would look extremely foolish. Case in point, no one ever complains about the GTA series because they make great games.
This is actually a great point. I could really care less WHO got the license,as long as we were seeing the improvements.
As been said before....for every 3 steps forward,there's been 2 steps back.
I mean seriously......what has EA/Tiburon done with the Madden series that required exclusivity?
That isn't meant in a smartass way...I'm just seriously curious.

# 15 unfriendlyghst @ 02/27/08 10:52 PM
Oh yes, I almost forgot. The fact that the major gaming sites refuse to report accurately on any given Madden game is equally as frustrating. I'm not on here to be a jerk about this but come on, how many major glitches slipped past these "industry experts"? Yet, you wont find any reporting on this. It is really sad that independent gaming sites are absolutely afraid of saying anything bad about Madden for who knows what reason?

I think this also adds fuel to the "Hate Madden Machine".When people who legitimately care about the quality of the games they are buying become marginalized, it's like they are being spit on twice. Not only did they lose $60 on a worthless piece of software (Madden 06), but they are also being called fools by the people who are supposedly giving us accurate reviews of the games we may want to buy. You wont find this kind of select game coverage on any other franchise of games, or any other game for that matter.

# 16 Rocky @ 02/28/08 12:02 AM
Quote:
Oh yes, I almost forgot. The fact that the major gaming sites refuse to report accurately on any given Madden game is equally as frustrating. I'm not on here to be a jerk about this but come on, how many major glitches slipped past these "industry experts"? Yet, you wont find any reporting on this. It is really sad that independent gaming sites are absolutely afraid of saying anything bad about Madden for who knows what reason?

I think this also adds fuel to the "Hate Madden Machine".When people who legitimately care about the quality of the games they are buying become marginalized, it's like they are being spit on twice. Not only did they lose $60 on a worthless piece of software (Madden 06), but they are also being called fools by the people who are supposedly giving us accurate reviews of the games we may want to buy. You wont find this kind of select game coverage on any other franchise of games, or any other game for that matter.
Very good post.

# 17 HealyMonster @ 02/28/08 08:52 AM
Quote:

agreed. i checked out metacritic.com based off of the os podcast from yesterday and I was surprised to find out what some major outlets gave madden 08 a perfect score. off the top of my head yahoo basically said madden is the greatest thing to ever happen to them basically. alot of these reviewers never had to play madden to write their reviews. if u read them its all basically the same thing. they outline the back of the box and add that their opinion of it is that its great and innovative. we rarely see anyone break down the game and give an honest opinion. I also relate this to the fact that you have ppl reviewing halo 3 and madden in the same fashion. "game looks good, wow, when I press up the person runs that way, when i press a he throws the ball. omg the qb actually has a throwing animation" and then they freak out. u mean to tell me they have this awsome gameplay previously mentioned and they have superstar mode, owner mode, and franchise? im thankful ea blessed us with this game.

thats basically it and I dont feel as though i can blame EA for the reviews they get as much as I blame companys with big reputation not giving the gameing industry the reviews it deserves.

# 18 thaima1shu @ 02/28/08 09:14 AM
Quote:

Brilliant post. I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. It's a shame these "experts" don't seem to want to bring up valid flaws with the game.

# 19 FlyingFinn @ 02/28/08 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
I mean seriously......what has EA/Tiburon done with the Madden series that required exclusivity?
This is probably one of things that grinds my gears the most. I remember when exclusitivity was first announced, EA stated it would be a good thing because they would have access to things they never had before with NFL so the game would definitely benefit.

Based on the past 3 interations of next-gen Madden, the license was purchased only to eliminate competition. Although the NFL put the license up for sale , I bet if EA didn't pony up so much cash, the NFL would have withdrew the NFL exclusive proposal because it could have made more money by not being exclusive.

# 20 bkfount @ 02/28/08 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
thats basically it and I dont feel as though i can blame EA for the reviews they get as much as I blame companys with big reputation not giving the gameing industry the reviews it deserves.
well if you don't believe that the sites giving madden raving reviews are doing so because they genuinely like it, then it's obviously because EA is a power in the industry. If one site steps out and gives madden a 6 or so, then EA could easily label them a rouge site trying to make a name for themselves and hold advertising and early access to all of their games.

EA makes much more than just madden, and if they get a bad review, they could easily do what Ubisoft did to sites for receiving some negative reviews about Assassins Creed.

Part of it is because madden is popular and sites can piggyback on madden hype for views, and another is that EA puts out lots of games, and pissing them off wouldn't be great for business.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.