Home
News Post

Chris Sanner checks in with this article he has titled, NCAA Football 09: More of the Same?

Quote:
"Did anyone catch that smell coming out of Orlando?

That smell is the smell of the "EA Hype Machine" getting its gears in motion for NCAA Football 09, which is still presumably 3-4 months away from hitting store shelves. In fact, last week during an interview with GameTap, Kendall Boyd, NCAA Football's product manager, revealed some information about the '09 version of NCAA Football."

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ChaseB @ 03/15/08 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
I hear what you're saying... just felt the article title gave way to a tone completely different than the content therein.

Deep down inside we're all looking for more from EA. With the new staff writers I was hoping they would hold their feet to the fire. I've read time and time again that MaddenMania had become one of EA's harshest critics and their inability to capitalize on what could be the premier football games... but then I read this.

Personally I don't feel it's ever too early to hold EA accountable for '09. Because if you don't, what's going to happen is the same thing that happened last year. By then, it will be too late.

Some of you may think my perception is a bit negative and that's ok; Doesn't matter to me much. What matters is I have a football game to enjoy that does things next-gen games are supposed to do, not re-add in features I was utilizing 4 years ago on my PS2 and calling it the second coming.

You may claim it's early, but you never know when it will be too late.
If we're really splitting hairs here, I'd say it's already "too late" in terms of us making an impact. There's development time left (roughly 3 months) but whatever features etc they are going with, it's pretty much a given. It's one of the tricky parts about sports games, where when there's media days or preview pushes for other genres and there's a majority saying one thing you can make necessary tweaks and changes or have a delay....Doesn't work like that for annual sports games (and you probably know all this). Now once people see and play NCAA they can still make some tweaks but I think the major stuff is in or not at this point.

To your point about not being negative enough -- due to the subject title being misleading I guess -- that's perfectly alright to say that. It's personal opinion so it's not really something I can argue one way or the other. I still think we need to know more about the game then just this one interview from a Product Manager though before being too worried or hopeful or judgmental.

Now if someone was to simply write a completely op-ed historical piece on the pitfalls of the series the past few years then in that context it would make more sense to do what you're saying.

Either way I think cautious optimism sums up the entirety of the piece to me -- once again if you think Chris is calling it the "second coming" then that's not something I can argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
So you're going to judge the stance all of the former MM staff writers and even this author in particular off of one article?

I can tell you first hand from talking to all of them that they, in fact, are some of the harshest EA Sports and more specifically Madden and NCAA critics I've seen on these boards.
I wouldn't say he's judging us, I think he's being wary, which is fine. I think people like Pared questioning us constantly is a good thing anyway. This type of discussion, even if it is criticizing the piece, is a good thing not a bad thing because it keeps everyone on their toes. More people bringing up issues and all that will make people think harder about what they write or do not write.

# 22 countryboy @ 03/15/08 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizeezyc
If we're really splitting hairs here, I'd say it's already "too late" in terms of us making an impact. There's development time left (roughly 3 months) but whatever features etc they are going with, it's pretty much a given. It's one of the tricky parts about sports games, where when there's media days or preview pushes for other genres and there's a majority saying one thing you can make necessary tweaks and changes or have a delay....Doesn't work like that for annual sports games (and you probably know all this). Now once people see and play NCAA they can still make some tweaks but I think the major stuff is in or not at this point.

To your point about not being negative enough -- due to the subject title being misleading I guess -- that's perfectly alright to say that. It's personal opinion so it's not really something I can argue one way or the other. I still think we need to know more about the game then just this one interview from a Product Manager though before being too worried or hopeful or judgmental.

Now if someone was to simply write a completely op-ed historical piece on the pitfalls of the series the past few years then in that context it would make more sense to do what you're saying.

Either way I think cautious optimism sums up the entirety of the piece to me -- once again if you think Chris is calling it the "second coming" then that's not something I can argue.

I wouldn't say he's judging us, I think he's being wary, which is fine. I think people like Pared questioning us constantly is a good thing anyway. This type of discussion, even if it is criticizing the piece, is a good thing not a bad thing because it keeps everyone on their toes. More people bringing up issues and all that will make people think harder about what they write or do not write.

# 23 rolltide1017 @ 03/15/08 08:41 PM
I just wish the industry would move away from the annual sports game releases, that way they would actually have time too really fix things instead of just patching holes and applying a fresh coat of paint.

I think the MLB2K series is a prime example. They just don't have time to fix the problems from the previous year before it's time to push out the current year's game. The problems continue to snowball and they just can't recover. IMO the MLB2K series is worse then it was 3 years ago.

I will cut EA a break on NCAA because they did make some big improvements last year. 08 was much more playable then 07 but, the yearly release just doesn't allow the time for the 100% improvement that the hardcore fans here want to see. What makes it worse with NCAA is the fact that EA removed all of the little touches that made NCAA so great on the PS2/Xbox. If some of those little things (like player entrances) don't start showing up again this year then I'll probably give up on the series like I have with the MLB2K series.

Too really improve sports games, they have to get rid of the yearly release schedule. These really are talented guys making these games, they just need more time to truly put that talent to work.

# 24 fantasysportsguy @ 03/15/08 08:57 PM
Tide, a company with the resources of EA DOES have the time. The problem is, they don't have the will. They know they can save money up front (development, innovation, all the stuff that goes into the game), put out what amounts to glorified, patched up versions of the previous years game, and sell MILLIONS of games across all platforms.

The problem is one of will, NOT one of time. It costs money and requires a serious desire on their part, to want to really innovate (read as fix) and make a couple of darn fine football games, that their customers deserve.

The '08 EA games were a joke, lets be honest here, Madden had so many ridiculous bugs in it, that got through testing, that it makes you wonder how they could sit there, being interviewed, and say they were "pleased" with the game. How dare they! How dare they sit there and release an obviously flawed (read as crappy, I am trying to be polite here) game, charge us full price, and have the cojones to tell us this is a game they think the consumer will love?

EA is Wal-Mart, Exxon, etc, it's the bottom line, nothing else. They are so big, but they only have a desire to get larger, and quality be damned if it steps in the way. It's profit, profit, profit, not innovation, not quality, not desire, and until the consumer stands up and emphatically says "NO" to the Maddens, NBA LIVE's, NCAA's (March Madness and Football), and NASCAR's, we will continue to get mediocre games, with little innovation, little real effort, and quality that is lacking.

# 25 SteelerSpartan @ 03/16/08 01:23 AM
yeah seriously, EA could could do a lot more yet they choose not to because of $$$$....Why work harder/hire more devs when you can make millions being lazy and under staffed.

And I swear if in 09, I go to edit one my players and it resets my depth chart.....I'll make it my life's mission to destroy EA

# 26 Nza @ 03/16/08 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
yeah seriously, EA could could do a lot more yet they choose not to because of $$$$....Why work harder/hire more devs when you can make millions being lazy and under staffed.

And I swear if in 09, I go to edit one my players and it resets my depth chart.....I'll make it my life's mission to destroy EA

Seriously? That is STILL a bug in the 08 360/PS3 game?

lol, that's been a bug on the old gen game for a while now. Yeah, the 360/PS3 version sure is built from the ground up

# 27 bears5122 @ 03/16/08 05:11 AM
I didn't buy College Football last year for the first time in God knows how long. The info doesn't sound too promising. The tackling seems just like some new animations have been added and there doesn't seem to be much else. I have a bad feeling that if anything of importance was added to this years game, they'd be boasting about it. It'll be sad if it's some updated rosters and a few animations, but I've come to expect that from EA.

# 28 gta95 @ 03/16/08 06:03 AM
It looks to me that I may not play a decent football game for a while after Backbreaker comes out. I used to love football games.

# 29 darrin84 @ 03/16/08 10:25 AM
I think the worse thing that happen to football games is
only letting one company make the games I think sents 2k
cant make NFL and NCAA football games EA has went down
hill BIG TIME there's no compaition so EA dont care

# 30 Pared @ 03/17/08 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
So you're going to judge the stance all of the former MM staff writers and even this author in particular off of one article?

I can tell you first hand from talking to all of them that they, in fact, are some of the harshest EA Sports and more specifically Madden and NCAA critics I've seen on these boards.
Now where in my entire post did I say this? I was simply expecting more from all I've read. I haven't visited MM for about 3 or 4 years and I was simply going on the impression I came away with from other's comments, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizeezyc

I'm glad you're not seeing my comments as an attack on any one individual for whatever reason... I just expected more from the title and everything I've read about MM being one of their harshest critics. This was the first article I've read and thus was disappointed, especially after the tone I feel was set with the title.

I know some may feel Madden is fine in the state it is in, but maybe some others agree with me now that Madden isn't really in the shape it should be. Holding the game accountable for what it should be and not what it is is something I'd like to see more of. I know others have a better idea now that they've played the Show... but that's exactly how Sports Gaming should be in every single genre. Hockey has NHL08, Baseball has The Show, Basketball has NBA 2k8... why doesn't football, the sport that everyone feels is defining in this industry, have a comparable title?

Anyway, we're getting away from the original topic so I apologize for that. I look forward to reading some more articles in the future.

# 31 kmart2180 @ 03/17/08 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
I know some may feel Madden is fine in the state it is in, but maybe some others agree with me now that Madden isn't really in the shape it should be. Holding the game accountable for what it should be and not what it is is something I'd like to see more of. I know others have a better idea now that they've played the Show... but that's exactly how Sports Gaming should be in every single genre. Hockey has NHL08, Baseball has The Show, Basketball has NBA 2k8... why doesn't football, the sport that everyone feels is defining in this industry, have a comparable title?

I agree 100% I could not have said it better.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.