Home
News Post

Shawn Drotar over at 5W-G has posted a article called NHL 09: Community Event Recap.

Quote:
"EA Canada has been a surprisingly nimble studio in the last few years, especially in contract with sister studio EA Tiburon in Florida, as the Burnaby-based developer has been able to make momentous strides from year to year with its products rather than incremental ones."

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Flyermania @ 04/08/08 10:29 AM
It truly is amazing to think how far this series has come since it went to next-gen. The last EA effort I enjoyed previously was NHL 2004 on the PC, but NHL 07 and especially NHL 08 made tremendous strides in getting this series back on track. The developer's passion for the sport is obvious, and it is great to read that they solicited feedback and ideas from the community as they look to move forward with NHL 09.

# 2 mdgoalie37 @ 04/08/08 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
It truly is amazing to think how far this series has come since it went to next-gen. The last EA effort I enjoyed previously was NHL 2004 on the PC, but NHL 07 and especially NHL 08 made tremendous strides in getting this series back on track. The developer's passion for the sport is obvious, and it is great to read that they solicited feedback and ideas from the community as they look to move forward with NHL 09.
Yeah, it's funny, I'm actually thinking of skipping 09 - not because I'm frustrated with the current edition (See: Madden, NCAA Football) but because I am enjoying the current version so much that I may not need it.

# 3 savoie2006 @ 04/08/08 11:00 AM
After seeing the improvement made from 07 to 08,I've actually been very anxious to get my mits on 09.I wish 2K would have kept the passion they had at one point for their hockey game.In any case it is amazing to think of EA putting so much passion and effort into their hockey series of all sports series.

# 4 mdgoalie37 @ 04/08/08 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
After seeing the improvement made from 07 to 08,I've actually been very anxious to get my mits on 09.I wish 2K would have kept the passion they had at one point for their hockey game.In any case it is amazing to think of EA putting so much passion and effort into their hockey series of all sports series.
I probably should have ended my previous post with "yeah, and who am I kidding?"

# 5 Flyermania @ 04/08/08 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
I probably should have ended my previous post with "yeah, and who am I kidding?"
I feel the same way. As much as I enjoy 08, NHL 09 (barring some catastrophic change of direction in the series) will be a release day pick-up for me.

# 6 Money99 @ 04/08/08 01:25 PM
Absolutely.
Bangpow from Consolesports.net, who attended, made it sound like all our gripes are on their 'fix list'.

I think if 2K gave their team more money and resources they would be right up there too.
What's funny is, 2K8 had a lot of good to it.
They just need to polish the game up and dumb-down the controls a bit. There's no need for two speed buttons. Analog should do it all.

# 7 catcatch22 @ 04/08/08 01:48 PM
I was thinking about skipping 09 as well since I thought there was no way EA can duplicate this effort. Why hockey though. I guess there is less people to complain about it not being fun with too much sim elements. I will definitely pick this one up the first day.

# 8 Jonesey @ 04/08/08 02:19 PM
fixing the franchise mode and upgrading the presentation will be enough for me.

# 9 canucksss @ 04/08/08 03:57 PM
when chasing the puck as a defenceman, stop skating backward please............ annoying.

yea i agree totally about the offensive side of this game. just improve on the defensive sides (last man back or change to the man you want) and goalie..... to many top shelf goals. this would be perfect.

it owuld be a BIG PLUS if they can improve their chise mode.

# 10 JimmyDeicide @ 04/08/08 06:19 PM
Wow you lot must like 1 timers in the top corners then, not me, games offense has grown very stale.
I couldnt play 09 if the offensive AI acted the same way as 08 .

I hope they make a lot of changes again as some of the ones they made in 08 like the AI leaning heavily to 1 timer chances which was probly a result of the realy good AI actually and their ability to get open but led to a more frustrating less organic feel than even 07 was.

# 11 Money99 @ 04/08/08 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
Wow you lot must like 1 timers in the top corners then, not me, games offense has grown very stale.
I couldnt play 09 if the offensive AI acted the same way as 08 .

I hope they make a lot of changes again as some of the ones they made in 08 like the AI leaning heavily to 1 timer chances which was probly a result of the realy good AI actually and their ability to get open but led to a more frustrating less organic feel than even 07 was.
Jimmy, I thought the same thing. But then I downloaded the latest rosters (March 26th I believe) and used Catch22's Superstar sliders.
The game plays completely different now.

Since doing both, I started a Hawks franchise and in 8 games, I have yet to see a CPU one-timer goal. Lots more variety and it has to do (IMO) because the goalies are human and play more realistically. And the puck has a lot softer bounces making for more goal mouth scrambles.

# 12 Splitter77 @ 04/08/08 09:19 PM
hopefully they add alot more goalie animations

# 13 JimmyDeicide @ 04/08/08 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Jimmy, I thought the same thing. But then I downloaded the latest rosters (March 26th I believe) and used Catch22's Superstar sliders.
The game plays completely different now.

Since doing both, I started a Hawks franchise and in 8 games, I have yet to see a CPU one-timer goal. Lots more variety and it has to do (IMO) because the goalies are human and play more realistically. And the puck has a lot softer bounces making for more goal mouth scrambles.

I tried it, still seemed they cycled until they had a chance to get a 1 timer off or just hit one off the rush.
I can feel the changes but it hasnt changed the ai's mentality im afraid.

# 14 Money99 @ 04/09/08 11:14 AM
Quote:
I tried it, still seemed they cycled until they had a chance to get a 1 timer off or just hit one off the rush.
I can feel the changes but it hasnt changed the ai's mentality im afraid.
That's strange.
In 10+ games, I've yet to see a CPU one-timer goal from the high slot. And I've barely seen them even attempt this kind of goal.

Actually, last night I saw two sweet CPU goals. Even though I pounded on Nashville 5-2, both their goals were nice. On their first one, while on the PP, Ryan Suter won a puck battle along the wall, swooped in from the goalies left, made a quick deke and then while continuing to skate to the right, he fired back to the left over Lalime's shoulder. It was a great individual effort.
On their 2nd goal, Hamhuis fired a shot from the point, which deflected off my defenders pants, off of Radek Bonk's stick and into the net. Sweet.

# 15 JimmyDeicide @ 04/09/08 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
That's strange.
In 10+ games, I've yet to see a CPU one-timer goal from the high slot. And I've barely seen them even attempt this kind of goal.

Actually, last night I saw two sweet CPU goals. Even though I pounded on Nashville 5-2, both their goals were nice. On their first one, while on the PP, Ryan Suter won a puck battle along the wall, swooped in from the goalies left, made a quick deke and then while continuing to skate to the right, he fired back to the left over Lalime's shoulder. It was a great individual effort.
On their 2nd goal, Hamhuis fired a shot from the point, which deflected off my defenders pants, off of Radek Bonk's stick and into the net. Sweet.
I find that hard to believe , 10+ games? come on, maybe not a goal but 50 attempts at it then.

Is there a key to look for in the roster file , a player or a player stat to make sure we're on the same page before i call BS
Im pretty sure im using the updated update from march tho.

# 16 Money99 @ 04/09/08 02:25 PM
Quote:
I find that hard to believe , 10+ games? come on, maybe not a goal but 50 attempts at it then.

Is there a key to look for in the roster file , a player or a player stat to make sure we're on the same page before i call BS
Yeah, it's the latest roster update.

And I'm telling you, no word of a lie, that the CPU barely ever goes for that same goal. A majority of their goals come from rebounds, deflections or straight shots from good passing. Nothing like it was before. And trust me, I barely touched this game over the last 3 months because of the one-timer happy CPU. I was also sick and tired of watching 5th and 6th dmen like Keith Carney floating in top-shelf goals from the point on a non-screened goalie. All of that has disappeared.

I don't know what to tell you. But all I can say is that I hated it like you are now, but after the latest roster updates and using Catch22's Superstar Sliders the game is completely different for me.

# 17 catcatch22 @ 04/09/08 04:19 PM
Quote:

In the videos I posted they score in different ways. Even with visual evidence people will contradict.

Also if you refuse to change the way you play defense the AI will take what you give. If you leave a lane for the AI to walk through and deke out your goalie it will do that, if you leave room for a one timer they will do that, if you leave room up top for a slap shot they will do that, if you give them no options and have them hemmed up on the side board they will throw one on the net. Basically they will take what you give and if you don't want them shooting one timers then play to stop that play specifically, look at the videos where am I most of the time? The slot protecting it when I see the AI is using overload and cycling.

Teams that use the overload strat on offense are gonna do one timers. Look for it and it is stopped, before patch and after. If you refuse to do so don't blame the game for being stubborn and not wanting to adjust and want a easy layup win like in 2k. If it's too hard don't play it.

I don't play Street Fighter anymore cause they jacked up the difficulty soo much that I am no longer capable of playing the game against the AI on anything but the easiest difficulty levels.

I just don't want to put the time and energy nor take the frustration. If that is the case then you should do the same with NHL 08. Not every game is for everyone.

# 18 JimmyDeicide @ 04/09/08 05:05 PM
The game isnt too hard for me catcatch nor am i saying they dont get a variety of goals im saying they 1 timer too much.

No need to be so defensive i never even watched or care to watch your visual evidence.

You say the game is stubborn well hell yes isnt that what im saying.

# 19 catcatch22 @ 04/09/08 05:36 PM
Quote:
The game isnt too hard for me catcatch nor am i saying they dont get a variety of goals im saying they 1 timer too much.
So you rather them not shoot it and just get checked. If it's there they should take it. Their supposed to cycle and cycle till they get to the net open or they can quickly get a one time shot in there. I do the same thing.

The thing is you can easily stop it by just guarding the open guy or pick a different strategy.

There are certain teams that will rip any shot from distance wether it be a slapper or a one timer, not sure if it has to do with ratings or because of the high offensive aggressiveness at which the team employs as their strategy. Teams like Ottawa, for some reason take a whole lot of shots and will cycle and cycle and cycle in the game no matter which line is out there.

How many one timers do you take in a game? Count the amount of onetimers they take compared to the amount you take in the team comparison menu and you will see that its not as much as you would think. I have yet to be out onetimered in any game I have played against the AI whenever I check this stat. Either I am well ahead or its even.

If you take away one opportunity they will try something else. If you leave the onetimer open they will take it. If you leave something else open they will take that too.

# 20 Flyermania @ 04/09/08 05:37 PM
I do agree with catcatch22 in that the AI in NHL 08 takes what you give it. I rarely give up one-timer goals to the CPU as I always try to cut off the passing lanes. If I do give up a one-timer it is more than likely caused by a defensive slip-up on my part. As a result of my defense the CPU tries to either generate rebounds from point shots or to work the offense from behind my net.

It's one of the great things I love about the game...the CPU adapts to what I am doing and really forces me to give my best effort for the full 60 minutes.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.