Home
News Post

Patrick Williams (BigWill33) has posted an article on countering the slap pass in NHL 08 online.

Quote:
"If you have played NHL 08 online much this season you will have come to the realization that it is one of the most enjoyable games to play online in recent memory. You will also come to the realization that, like most games in this genre, it has plays that people can manipulate so they can cheese you to death."

NHL 08 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 08 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 08Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 25 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 JohnnytheSkin @ 04/09/08 01:30 AM
Wow...play positional "D"...who would've thought it. At least you're honest in saying that even then it doesn't prevent success that often.

That's why I try and stay away from the cheddar top ranked players and either play with friends, or set up a match to play with "similar skill level" players. The one timers are easy to counter as well as the simple dekes, the slap pass (or Sully and Skerik's cross-crease pass) are nigh impossible without extra teammates.

# 2 bukktown @ 04/10/08 08:40 PM
I think it helps if you control your centerman on Defense and guard the slot with him.

# 3 Bisch @ 04/12/08 11:55 AM
Is there any particular Defense you recommend? Puck side attack or contain?
I hate the cheese online, but when it's not a cheese game it's a lot of fun.
Why is the default skill online pro. I think if AS or SS was selectable or used if you skill/rank was bumped up then it would hopefully prevent the cheese easier (I don't know this for sure, but just a thought)

# 4 bigwill33 @ 04/12/08 06:29 PM
You can use your standard defense. They are all about the same success rate in defending this, which is slim. Alot of times you have to just beat the offense to a spot, whether it is low in the corner with the puck carrier, or in the front of the net with pass intendee. Just get there quickly if you can and take it away. Some people get frustrated if you shut it down a few times and move on to another tactic. If you can get out of a game with a slap passer with only giving up 2 slap pass goals then you have done the best you can do. Which really sucks, but that is the nature of the beast with this game.

# 5 Fiddy @ 04/12/08 07:06 PM
i have never had a problem defending this cheese. i use protect the net d setting and keep my stick in the passing lanes. like mentioned above, as soon as they see you have it defended they move on to something else..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.