Home
News Post

IGN has posted 4 video clips from NCAA Football 09.

NCAA Football 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bad_philanthropy @ 05/01/08 11:24 PM
Those are definitely new Cal unis.

# 42 ex carrabba fan @ 05/01/08 11:36 PM
Looks prettier.. but looks like it plays the same as the past few years

# 43 spit_bubble @ 05/02/08 12:44 AM
After seeing those videos I can't wait to play... Backbreaker this year.

The least they could do is get someone to play without dropping back 10-15 yards each time.

You kind of get the sense that the new "wide open" gameplay that they are touting is gonna mean few blocking lanes to run through, lots of running to the open parts of the field, and Nessler screaming, "He's at the 20... The 10..." time and time again.

It just doesn't really look like football at this point.

# 44 JBucc @ 05/02/08 01:02 AM
In the "tiger in the flat" video it almost looked like a pocket was trying to form until the dork playing kept dropping back. Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.

# 45 Soonerd2 @ 05/02/08 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
In the "tiger in the flat" video it almost looked like a pocket was trying to form until the dork playing kept dropping back. Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.
totally agree

# 46 mauro78 @ 05/02/08 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingmgt
this game sucks
IMHO It's too early to tell.
NCAA 09 seems like a blend between old gen and next gen.

# 47 twisted88 @ 05/02/08 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingmgt
this game sucks
Wow! That's pretty thought provoking considering nobody has actually played the final version yet.

# 48 Anaxamander @ 05/02/08 02:40 AM
The Noles have some of the best unis in all of football. Why screw them up by making them all black? Ugh, I think I'm the only one on Earth who hates this trend. The day the Sooners show up in black jerseys is the day I retire from the world.

The gameplay definitely looks faster, but I don't know if that's a good thing. And, of course, I can't tell much from these IGN videos because their motto is: the deeper the dropback, the better. I swear, every year it's deja vu all over again with the earliest videos featuring the worst players possible.

# 49 Kodii Rockets @ 05/02/08 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
The day the Sooners show up in black jerseys is the day I retire from the world.

# 50 jpringle @ 05/02/08 06:15 AM
you really can't tell if the pocket will form from these vids. the user just keep dropping 10 steps back, instead of dropping at the most 5 steps and just standing there. game speed has definately improved. this game can't drop fast enough

# 51 FlyingFinn @ 05/02/08 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpringle
you really can't tell if the pocket will form from these vids. the user just keep dropping 10 steps back, instead of dropping at the most 5 steps and just standing there. game speed has definately improved. this game can't drop fast enough

The fact the user is not penalized for doing this is what is troubling. In addition, this is not NCAA Blitz so they better have all the real rules/clock settings in the the game.

# 52 noplace @ 05/02/08 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
The fact the user is not penalized for doing this is what is troubling. In addition, this is not NCAA Blitz so they better have all the real rules/clock settings in the the game.
I agree, the problem is why aren't the DE's rushing up field to stop those 20-30 yrd drops. A small pocket formed in one of those vids but instead of pursuing the QB they were sucked into the OT's...sigh

# 53 callmetaternuts @ 05/02/08 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.sick
Man, those FSU all blacks look certainly delightful!!! And am I the only one who plays these games and actually takes 5-7 step drops and stays in the "pocket"? The QB ****ery that I'm seeing on these videos is ridiculous.
FSU unis are nice. was hoping we'd get the black on black. I agree on the drops, when did college coaches put in the 15 step drop play? I wanna see someone drop back and just throw from the pocket, or see if there is a pocket

# 54 muggins @ 05/02/08 08:55 AM
I think I saw a baby pocket forming there. Hard to tell when the stupid user drops back 15 yards. I think on one play I did see the center TURN AROUND and run backwards to block, though. Ran back like 5-8 yards.

# 55 ProStylez @ 05/02/08 09:16 AM
I want to eat the grass!

# 56 radiohead @ 05/02/08 09:42 AM
it is REALLY disappointing to hear the same commentary that's in ncaa 2004.

# 57 Methlab @ 05/02/08 09:57 AM
What I hate:

Lack of a pocket. As we all do. APF did an excellent job on the first go...is it really this tough?

The cut scenes are horrible. It just looks terrible..every single cutscene I saw was awful and slow moving compared to the on field action, and made no sense. We all have GTA IV, we know how a cutscene should be. That injury to Antone was seriously horrible presentation.

The anouncing. It blows and is the same thing every year.

The stagnation of EA. Nothing has changed that much. Why not try and actually remake the game and get creative? No..the corporate culture at Tiburon is not creative enough for something like that. They would rather count their money and ruin sports gaming in the process.

Drew Weatherford at QB. I hope to god it's Ponder and D'vo in real life, and they are somewhat good in this game, because they are much better then Drew.

What I liked:

The FSU play book. It looks like they actually paid attention and implented the single back offense that Jimbo likes to run. That is very cool. I wonder if LSU has a pistol formation. That would be very cool, and should be in the game.

The crowd sounded good.

The game is a bit too fast, but it is slowly getting somewhat decent at replicating how a football game really looks.

The Standard EA mantra:

Make a new game version, add one feature, HYPE it like crazy and simply reuse the same engine over and over again is OLD!!!! It's an insult to the consumer. I hope this game is good because I love a good football game, but who wants to bet it is just a 10% improvement on last years?

# 58 spankdatazz22 @ 05/02/08 09:59 AM
The good: looks like a much prettier version of NCAA last gen
The bad: looks like a much prettier version of NCAA last gen

All things considered I thought the videos were nice - will be interesting to see extended gameplay video. Game is still really lacking in physics, player interaction, and the QB anims (anims are better, but throwing anims are still really bad). Also, missing last gen's momentum system. They seem to have done a good job with the footplanting, considering the player models noticeably skated over top of the turf the past few years. And especially considering you had IGN's practically idiotic people playing the game stupidly (people have long needed to stop making IGN's sports game opinions/reviews relevant). The lateral movement seems fairly well done.

I like the running animations better and the game speed seems more appropriate. Not seeing much room for the new juke system w/the lack of a momentum system. Great job w/the player proportions and the lighting, and the models articulate at the waist similar to last gen. The good with trying to model the game after last gen is that the game is better than what it's been the past two years; the bad is that it has those same limitations that plagued it last gen will plague it this gen. Tiburon's [seeming] inattention to OL/DL interaction (and player interaction overall) is frustrating. Game looks gorgeous, but it's easy to see some of the basic fundamentals it's lacking in - it's holding the game back

# 59 aukevin @ 05/02/08 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
it is REALLY disappointing to hear the same commentary that's in ncaa 2004.
yeah me too. It's starting to get pretty old 5 years later.

The game looked pretty.

# 60 coogrfan @ 05/02/08 10:42 AM
spank, re:the momentum system.

Have you read Pasta's take on this yet?

Quote:
At first it took a little while to get acclimated to the player weight, momentum, and foot planting. Movement looks and feels much more natural but at first felt a little heavy. After a few minutes playing though it really began to feel like it was just right. User control is big especially in the running game or in the run after the catch. Elusiveness and acceleration attributes are huge. You can really see the burst and taking bad angles as a defender is punished severely.
That sure sounds to me like some form of momentum has been implemented. It may be one of those things that can't fully understood until one has put in some time with the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.