Home
Madden 09 News Post

Jeremy Hartman checks in today with an article discussing the different types of way people have and will play franchise in Madden NFL Football. How do you play yours?

Quote:
"As far as sports videogaming is concerned, franchise play is synonymous with the Madden football games. True, other sports titles have introduced franchise play as an option but no other game has a franchise mode that has captivated users quite like Madden’s. Franchise mode has single-handedly changed sports video gaming. But the real question is how do you franchise?"

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 labguy @ 05/08/08 01:10 PM
The best way to run a franchise is online with friends and peers! Oh wait that is not an option thanks to EA.

# 2 mastershake88 @ 05/08/08 01:40 PM
well me personally as gamer i use to shoot straight to the superbowl or world series...but these days im more of sim franchise.. like to rebuild and go about the process naturally..im doing that in mlb 2k8

# 3 DJ @ 05/08/08 01:53 PM
I typically start my franchise with my favorite team (this case being the Giants for Madden), play through several seasons, then move to a team that has a bad record and try and build them up into a Super Bowl contender.

# 4 MrShowtime @ 05/08/08 02:57 PM
I always want to do a franchise, but everytime i see a team play on tv or player has a good week and jump ship and start a new one. How do you guys keep the 'chise fresh.

# 5 Computalover @ 05/08/08 03:12 PM
I take realism up to the actual roster i am using. I make sure that all the players are correct on all teams, then thats where it ends. my franchise is my own universe! I let the CPU handle trades.. crazy as they may be. I also do this in NCAA. my fav teams (ravens and Terps) I try to build the terps into a powerhouse, then draft as many Terps to the ravens. sometimes it works out well.. and sometimes they are major bust.. but its my house and i do what I want! LOL!

# 6 DLaren @ 05/08/08 03:26 PM
1) Create myself at the WR position for the Raiders; no I don't give myself all 99's

2) Update the rosters myself because I don't want to wait a month for EA to do it.

3) Start franchise mode with the Raiders.

4) Play with the Raiders until I turn them into a dynasty (3 rings in close range of each other).

5) Start a new franchise with a lowly rated, created-team from Los Angeles. Play with them until I turn them into a dynasty.

By the time I've done all of that it's usually time for the next version of Madden to come out; rinse, repeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShowtime
How do you guys keep the 'chise fresh.
Every year your franchise should feel fresh since there is so much movement with players going to different teams, players progressing/regressing, players being drafted, teams relocating, career ending injuries, coaching changes and so on...

# 7 mikeveli20 @ 05/08/08 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
I typically start my franchise with my favorite team (this case being the Giants for Madden), play through several seasons, then move to a team that has a bad record and try and build them up into a Super Bowl contender.
I like to do this too which is why I'm hoping they put the option from legacy gen into Madden 09 where you can change owners in the offseason to whichever team you like.

# 8 Shadymamba @ 05/08/08 04:23 PM
i usually do a chise with the dolphins getting rid of all the dead weight, it was funny because all the guys i traded away in 08 parcells cut, that was awesome, and of course i use ncaa for my college recruits, i used to be a junkie but maddens gameplay has become so bad lately with all the bugs and glitches i'm starting to phase it out

# 9 buttons0662 @ 05/08/08 04:53 PM
How Do I Franchise ... Well in a Word ... "ISAIAHVERSE"
Since MADDEN 04... 2003 in NBA Live now NBA 2K ... I have controlled EVERY TEAM (Can only Controll 8 in NBA) ... Sim some games Play most ... for the ENTIRE SEASON ... And at the End of my Year ... I import my DRAFT CLASSES ... Draft Players ... Make some Off -Season Moves ... Wait for next year ... Then I Edit the next year version of the game to reflect where I left off and do it ALL OVER AGAIN. This has caused SERIOUS problems with the NEXT GEN MADDENS since EDITing wasn't an option ... Have bought and Returned EVERY Next Gen MADDEN ... NBA has Less problems with the Editing ... The lack of being able to controll ALL the Teams hurts ... But I can play ANY game I want so I dont mind. Hopefully I can Revive My MADDEN ISAIAHVERSE

# 10 countryboy @ 05/08/08 06:15 PM
Get the game, start up a franchise with the Raiders, and never look back. After about 12-15 seasons, my Raiders make it to the playoffs.

# 11 Marino @ 05/08/08 09:36 PM
i normally either use my fav team (dolphins) or my home team (panthers) depends on who im feeling

# 12 callmetaternuts @ 05/09/08 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computalover
I take realism up to the actual roster i am using. I make sure that all the players are correct on all teams, then thats where it ends. my franchise is my own universe! I let the CPU handle trades.. crazy as they may be. I also do this in NCAA. my fav teams (ravens and Terps) I try to build the terps into a powerhouse, then draft as many Terps to the ravens. sometimes it works out well.. and sometimes they are major bust.. but its my house and i do what I want! LOL!
Thats about how i run mine. I make sure that everything is set up for opening day rosters, all players, starters etc. Then once day one hits, the franchise takes over. I dont do player movements or change lineups, i let the franchise become a living breathing thing. I play more of a realistic style. churning out yardage, trying to grind out games (im the Bucs in Madden).

# 13 KENYON06 @ 05/09/08 12:17 PM
Probably gonna pick my team, do a training drill in the preseason, and my player will get 1 year younger. Just like 07 and 08. Then I'm gonna watch as every team in the leagues Defensive ratings keep going down and down and every teams offensive ratings soars to 95 plus. Sorry but 07 and 08's franchise issues pissed me off hard.

# 14 hndavis @ 05/09/08 12:53 PM
i liek to win so every year i pick the highest rated team to do my fanschhice with. so i play every game and i sim it if i lose and i try to get to the super bowl every year and after 5 super bowls in a row it get boring so then i create a team and create all my players

# 15 CM Hooe @ 05/09/08 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaa6
has anyone out there actually seen CPU to CPU trades occur during a season? i have not.
only in 2K5 have i seen this.

anyone?
In-season CPU-CPU trades have never occurred in Madden, AFAIK. I know teams trade draft picks in the offseason during the draft, and the original NFL Head Coach may have CPU-CPU trades (not sure on that one).

All that said, in NFL2K5 the CPU-CPU trades were often ridiculous; it's not a good feature if it can't be done right.

Finally, in answer to the topic question, I've always been the Cowboys in franchise, but that's mainly because they used to be horrible and I like building up a Super Bowl contender from scratch.

# 16 mdgoalie37 @ 05/09/08 04:11 PM
1 - Start a franchise controlling the Raiders and Eagles

2 - Mess with my sliders

3 - Start over with new 'better' sliders

4 - Realize that those sliders suck too because the sliders didn't much matter
4a - remove disc from console and through it across the room

5 - rinse and repeat

6 - give up.

LOL, I did that last year, hopefully not again this year.
Hopefully it's just number 1.

# 17 JBH3 @ 05/09/08 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
That's what I do w/ the Iggles...

# 18 Beardown @ 05/09/08 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShowtime
I always want to do a franchise, but everytime i see a team play on tv or player has a good week and jump ship and start a new one. How do you guys keep the 'chise fresh.
There is my biggest challenge keeping it fresh after 4 or 5 years into the franchise. This is what I found works for me. I play with the Bears and in NCAA with Illinois, obviously my favorite teams which are the only ones I ever play with. When Madden drops I usually have 6 to 8 NCAA draft classes ready to go. First I set my sliders so that regardless of how the Bears are rated I do not win it all within the first few years. Next I use a different offensive playbook after about every two years, the repetition of the same plays kills me after having played Madden for so long, so I will go from the Bears book to a run heavy then balanced and if I draft Juice Williams maybe a run and gun. Defensively I use the same 4-3 playbook and it doesn't bother me, go figure. Lastly, I try to draft all of the Illinois players each year unless there are not enough for all seven rounds. By changing up the playbook every two years it keeps the play calling fresh and by drafting the Illinois players from my NCAA dynasty it gives me something to look forward to in seeing how they do in the NFL. I use to restart my franchises every two years but by applying these changes I have managed to get through 8 seasons or so.

# 19 Scott @ 05/09/08 05:16 PM
1. Start franchise with Dallas
2. Updated Rosters & Equipment (at least for Dallas)
3. Sliders that present a challenge
4. Try to predict the draft classes for 8 seasons (With Top Incoming Recruits)
5. I'll probably control all 32 teams, unless they've fixed the draft. (Don't wanna see Michael Crabtree go in the 6th round)

# 20 countryboy @ 05/10/08 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulk
Everyone who has played Franchise on a Next Gen system knows it is broken beyond repair.
thanks

And "broken beyond repair"? Are you referring to that you can't fix it for that particular game or that the franchise is and will continue to be broken in every Madden game from here on out?

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.