Home
Madden 09 News Post

This edition of stating the obvious comes from the Electronic Gaming Summit, an event EA attended and spoke at yesterday. At the event EA Sports President Peter Moore spoke about and demoed Madden 09 on the Wii and also talked about the oft controversial NFL license. According to Kotaku, Moore said that EA plans to renew the NFL license exclusivity deal when it runs out after the 2012 NFL season.

While this news is hardly surprising the timing is a bit odd considering 2012 is so far off (and a new labor agreement away) at this point. It will also make EA PR earn their money once again since surely this is not going to be the most popular thing to ever leave Peter Moore's mouth. With that in mind, I have to assume that Moore was asked about the NFL license at the event, otherwise I'm not sure why he'd be discussing a new license agreement already.

Is this news shocking? No. Disappointing...?

EA Plans to Reup NFL License When it Expires [Kotaku]

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Scott @ 05/22/08 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
It is up to you!!!! IF you don't buy there games than they won't have the money to renew it!!!!

EA fears Backbreaker

# 22 spankdatazz22 @ 05/22/08 08:04 PM
The news is disappointing but not surprising. I would think before a deal is made this would be the time for consumers to be more vocal in their reasons why they wouldn't want the deal to occur. But I guess many will likely be just as ambivelant towards the deal as they were the first go round - unless Disney does get the license lol. Either way, we can easily see how competition makes for better games - it's just sad we're having to compare 2K5 and APF as games Madden should compare to. Gamers have shown an immense amount of patience with Madden this gen - so I guess there isn't much they wouldn't put up with going forward.

# 23 countryboy @ 05/22/08 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
It is up to you!!!! IF you don't buy there games than they won't have the money to renew it!!!!

EA fears Backbreaker
you're going to have to convince a few more people than just those on OS if you want to keep EA from having the money to renew the license.

And

EA= NFL License
Backbreaker = no NFL license

Yeah, I am sure that EA is shaking in their boots right now.

# 24 Nza @ 05/22/08 11:55 PM
Not that it matters, since there won't be a world after 2012.

:P

# 25 FlyingFinn @ 05/23/08 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack
as long as u dont say they were scared of 2k so they quickly got the NFL license
They were scared of 2k which is why they bought the license.

# 26 Skyboxer @ 05/23/08 12:24 PM
F'it I'm boycotting EA. (Starting sometime after August)

# 27 mercalnd @ 05/23/08 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
F'it I'm boycotting EA. (Starting sometime after August)

Yeah me too but I'll start after September cause I must get NHL 09...

# 28 countryboy @ 05/23/08 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack
as long as u dont say they were scared of 2k so they quickly got the NFL license
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
They were scared of 2k which is why they bought the license.

# 29 Crawi @ 05/23/08 06:23 PM
Lol, nobody was scared of 2k. The NFL contacted them both to bid on it.

# 30 SageInfinite @ 05/23/08 07:33 PM
EA was SHOOK!!!! *Plays Mobb Deep Shook Ones*

# 31 turftickler @ 05/23/08 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizeezyc
This edition of stating the obvious comes from the Electronic Gaming Summit, an event EA attended and spoke at yesterday. At the event EA Sports President Peter Moore spoke about and demoed Madden 09 on the Wii and also talked about the oft controversial NFL license. According to Kotaku, Moore said that EA plans to renew the NFL license exclusivity deal when it runs out after the 2012 NFL season.

While this news is hardly surprising the timing is a bit odd considering 2012 is so far off (and a new labor agreement away) at this point. It will also make EA PR earn their money once again since surely this is not going to be the most popular thing to ever leave Peter Moore's mouth. With that in mind, I have to assume that Moore was asked about the NFL license at the event, otherwise I'm not sure why he'd be discussing a new license agreement already.

Is this news shocking? No. Disappointing...?

EA Plans to Reup NFL License When it Expires [Kotaku]
If they are going to make a true next gen experience in 2012 on the PS4 and XBOX 720 then they can have it.

# 32 jmood88 @ 05/24/08 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawi
Lol, nobody was scared of 2k. The NFL contacted them both to bid on it.
We've talked about this numerous times but EA was trying to get the NFL to have the exclusive license for years.

# 33 countryboy @ 05/24/08 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
We've talked about this numerous times but EA was trying to get the NFL to have the exclusive license for years.
the NFL could've said no.

# 34 jmood88 @ 05/24/08 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
the NFL could've said no.
Yeah they could've but people keep forgetting that going after these exclusive licenses is EA's MO.

# 35 countryboy @ 05/24/08 02:43 PM
Quote:
Yeah they could've but people keep forgetting that going after these exclusive licenses is EA's MO.
whether its EA's MO or not(and I think it is) it takes two to tango. Each one of these sports could've said no, but they didn't.

# 36 jmood88 @ 05/24/08 02:45 PM
He was acting like EA was minding it's own business when the NFL told them to bid on it, EA was trying to get it all along.

# 37 countryboy @ 05/24/08 02:48 PM
Quote:
He was acting like EA was minding it's own business when the NFL told them to bid on it, EA was trying to get it all along.
I agree with you. But to solely lay the blame at EA's doorstep is wrong. EA is at faulti(if you dislike the exclusive deal which almost everyone does) but so is the NFL and all the other sports that chose to sign exclusive deals.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.