Home
Madden 09 News Post

The big news coming out of the OS Forums and Madden Mania over the past few days has been the presence of Madden 09 Producers answering member questions directly. Patrick Williams talks about this in his latest articled entitled, "Feedback Being Heard Firsthand in the Forums".

Quote:
"These past few weeks and months EA Sports has taken a new approach when it comes to dealing with its customers though, one that is probably long overdue, but still very viable. On top of answering questions on the EA Sports forums, certain individuals like Lead Gameplay Designer (for Madden) Ian Cummings, among others, have been visiting the Operation Sports and Madden Mania forums answering questions and passing along feedback from registered members about Madden '09."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 auburntigersfan @ 05/30/08 02:53 PM
it is great that they are doing this, at the very least to show that they listen to what we say

# 2 bigwill33 @ 05/30/08 03:02 PM
Yes stewaat, the mods are trying to do their best to keep only relative threads around for the producers to see. We like giving everyone the chance to sound off though and bring forth their ideas or mistakes that nag the series. After the posts are made we try to go back through and just add them to a list compiled where the producer knows to check. He then can pass along that information to the correct department in the company.

# 3 Fu Man Ching @ 05/30/08 03:06 PM
Lets just hope it continues. I hate to say it like that. I just think it is messed up the way they did not make a lot of these changes earlier. Why didn't the communication start earlier?

The last three Madden's were garbage on next gen. They should make up for it by selling the 20th anniversary game cheaper and with head coach but no. They sell a bundle for more money.

I appreciate and respect the way that Ian is doing his job. He seems like he cares and is a funny dude.But, where are the guys that work on the other sides of the game ? If they are busy get them a secretary that searches sites for suggestions. It isn't that hard to figure out that the people that been buying your game since day one are the people you should listen to. This should of been going on a while ago.

# 4 yamabushi @ 05/30/08 03:26 PM
I for one really appreciate hearing from Ian and knowing that someone at EA cares and is trying to improve things for the players and not just the stockholders.
But I do get the feeling that when Peter Moore came on, the meeting with the sales slumping Madden team went something like a scene out of 'Glengarry Glen Ross'.

# 5 labguy @ 05/30/08 04:26 PM
I appreciate what Ian is doing as well. I wish some of his co-workers would do the same. It is a shame however that the communication started so late in the development cycle. Not like we have much time to influence anything but some minor tweaks at this point. I am kind of torn between deciding if his concern is legitimate or if it is a "hey we made decent strides this year with the game...stick with us we care" type of PR campaign.

# 6 stiffarmleft @ 05/30/08 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy
I appreciate what Ian is doing as well. I wish some of his co-workers would do the same. It is a shame however that the communication started so late in the development cycle. Not like we have much time to influence anything but some minor tweaks at this point. I am kind of torn between deciding if his concern is legitimate or if it is a "hey we made decent strides this year with the game...stick with us we care" type of PR campaign.
That's my fear, that this is just an elaborate marketing campaign, kinda like a stripper being nice to you to get that dollar, I've grown very cynical in my old age.

# 7 Dudd @ 05/30/08 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
That's my fear, that this is just an elaborate marketing campaign, kinda like a stripper being nice to you to get that dollar, I've grown very cynical in my old age.
It's not like anything that is being said on these forums should come as a great surprise to the devs. All they have to do is watch a real football game and then play a game of Madden and they'll know what needs fixing. If he sticks around past August, great, but I for one don't think that the guys working at EA are dumb enough that any of what they're hearing is news to them. It has to be a systemic issue that comes with the territory of pumping out a new game each year, and they must simply not have the resources at their disposal to completely overhaul the game, which is really what needs to be done. So, the next best step to actually improving the game is to talk about improving the game, and that's what I think this is, just another way of marketing a product.

# 8 ODogg @ 05/30/08 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
Well it could be but Ian must be a master at manipulation because he really seems to believe what he is saying.

# 9 Phobia @ 05/30/08 05:02 PM
I like Ian from what I know of him. But I am real interested if this line of communication with the community will continue throughout say another year are more OR when madden 09 drops will Ian and Simon disappear???

I hope they are not trying to play us like fools. I think that could turn around and back fire even worse for them if that is the case. If they tried to "sell" us a bunch of bull and the community finds out about it. That would hurt their sales and give them a even worse image as the big bully on the block with all the money to push company's around.

So hopfully both Ian and Simon are stand up guys and their word is true and we will see more of them!!!

# 10 DC @ 05/30/08 06:22 PM
They see the greatness of NBA 2K and how successful that series is because of feedback

# 11 jfsolo @ 05/30/08 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy

Realistically we really won't be able to make a fair analysis of the dialogue that is taking place now until we start seeing the feature list and vids for Madden 2010. If we see many, or even some, of the big ticket items that are being discussed now implemented in next year's game then we can say that this was a very positive experience.

Ian has put himself in somewhat a bind though, not in any real sense of course, but within the limited context of "message board credibility" If he doesn't get the green light from his superiors, then regardless of what gets talked about here we won't see the sweeping changes that we all desire so intently.

He can't come out directly and say, "Bob Smith mandated that Vision Cone 2.0 be our top priority, so the OL/DL interaction didn't get the development time it needed", so he he'll have to make a diplomatic statement about not being able to tune it to the level that they want it to be, and be excoriated on the boards as a liar for his troubles.

Too many message boards participants tend to lose perspective when looking at various issues.

# 12 thescoop @ 05/30/08 09:20 PM
I like they are coming and listening to us. I just hope they are over on the ncaa forums and try and get some of the issue we have with the lack of concern for smaller programs fixed.

As far as madden, drop the replay feature. Doubt they listen to that suggestion, but i'm making it anyway.

Thanks for listening EA and hopefully we do reach the point where we can start to be a little more pleased.

# 13 edubbs @ 05/30/08 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
They see the greatness of NBA 2K and how successful that series is because of feedback
The real test is after the game is released, will they still be around?

I mean Sept., Oct, Nov. etc....

That's what's separates the developers at 2k from most studios, particularly the Devs. that work on the NBA2K series.

They are around consistently even after the game has been out for a couple of months.

I have seen other cases where the Devs. are active pre-release and then, you do not see them around at all until the following year when it's time to 'hype' the next version.

# 14 ODogg @ 05/30/08 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
The real test is after the game is released, will they still be around?

I mean Sept., Oct, Nov. etc....

That's what's separates the developers at 2k from most studios, particularly the Devs. that work on the NBA2K series.

They are around consistently even after the game has been out for a couple of months.

I have seen other cases where the Devs. are active pre-release and then, you do not see them around at all until the following year when it's time to 'hype' the next version.
I'll bet a nickel no one from EA is seen again after August 15th until next year about this time..

# 15 Scott @ 05/30/08 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I'll bet a nickel no one from EA is seen again after August 15th until next year about this time..
You're probably right..after all they should be busy working on 2010 then with new features such as "Battle in the trenches" & "Route Running"

# 16 Ian_Cummings @ 05/31/08 12:25 AM
Quote:
You're on.

# 17 ODogg @ 05/31/08 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
You're on.
That's awesome, I will keep a shiny nickel here Ian and I swear I will mail that puppy to you if you don't get so sick of these forums and leave. I know you will have to have the patience of Job and skin as thick as an elephant come August 16th.

# 18 PVarck31 @ 05/31/08 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
You're on.
Hey Ian , while you're here. Can you give us some feedback on those IGN videos from tonight. It said they were pre-beta. Is the latest version a big improvement from that? Specifically the pocket and line interaction?

Thanks.

# 19 Hunkerdown @ 05/31/08 12:36 AM
I bet Ian, double nickels or nothing?

# 20 Hawaii_Stars @ 05/31/08 11:41 PM
Quote:
ODogg, I hope you are wrong.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.