Home
Madden 09 News Post

Pasta Padre has posted his hands-on Madden NFL 09 impressions.

Quote:
"The pass defense does a great job defending the deep ball, and more so specifically the “jump” catches. Those spectacular catches from last year and the ones where a receiver sets and jumps straight up are usually negated by the defensive back swatting the ball, picking it off, or jarring the ball loose with a hit. The DB’s get high into the air to make plays and keep good position. Despite that I was able to complete a couple deep balls over the top when the receiver had a step or two advantage. It felt very fair when a deep pass was completed and I didn’t feel cheated one way or the other. Something neat is you’ll see the QB really get into a deep throw, lean back and throw it up higher than we have been used to. Looks much more natural in getting the power behind it and requires the QB have the time to do it."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 countryboy @ 05/31/08 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
No. Theres no conflict. I was enumerating problems in the past that were tied to the inability to spring long runs.
ok

# 42 maddenps2 @ 05/31/08 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
Don't know if I like that they added Tyree's catch. That never happens.
That combined with he fact he saw it on the first day he played.

It's REALLY disappointing you can't change the depth chart for online play. Many times the EA default roster is inaccurate and it should be ultimately up the user how they want there depth chart organized. I liked to put certain pass rushers in. Sometimes I like to put bruiser backs in at running back and the receivers with the best awareness and hands.

How many camera angles are there I still have an older 4:3 format television as many others do. The one camera angle really made it difficult for us to play.

# 43 K_GUN @ 05/31/08 02:25 PM
LT 2007 rushing stats

yds 1474
att 315

yds/att.....4.7

rushes OVER 20 yards.....13........once every 24 attempts
rushes OVER 40 yards.......2........once every 158 attempts

anything else?

# 44 maddenps2 @ 05/31/08 02:29 PM
The sliders won't work for online play correct? So that kinda defeats the purpose. Too bad users just can't have an option to use or to not use identical slider adjustments for online play.

# 45 dodgerblue @ 05/31/08 02:48 PM
Question about presentation?

The last second fieldgoal video, is there any excitement on the part of the announcer? It looks like the game just ends there.

Thanks

# 46 pastapadre @ 05/31/08 05:18 PM
So on to the running game issue, it was just an observation on my part. I'm not even sure if everyone else there felt the same way. Thinking back on it I had one run that went for about a 30 yard TD, that I had nothing to the inside and bounced outside. Other than that though most runs were in the loss to 11 yard range. It just seemed like most of the time it was "tough yards" that were being gained on the ground. It should probably be considered that with limited experience breaking out of animations/tackles that could be a factor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
Question about presentation?

The last second fieldgoal video, is there any excitement on the part of the announcer? It looks like the game just ends there.

Thanks
I don't remember the announcing at that point, but the video was off a replay and not live footage. I believe Russell may have recorded that kick live though.

# 47 countryboy @ 05/31/08 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastapadre
So on to the running game issue, it was just an observation on my part. I'm not even sure if everyone else there felt the same way. Thinking back on it I had one run that went for about a 30 yard TD, that I had nothing to the inside and bounced outside. Other than that though most runs were in the loss to 11 yard range. It just seemed like most of the time it was "tough yards" that were being gained on the ground. It should probably be considered that with limited experience breaking out of animations/tackles that could be a factor as well.
Thanks man and keep up the good work.

# 48 bad_philanthropy @ 05/31/08 05:54 PM
Quote:

I don't remember the announcing at that point, but the video was off a replay and not live footage. I believe Russell may have recorded that kick live though.
That sounds like the running game is modeled pretty accurately then. With the exception Peterson seeming to have tons of highlight plays off the running game last year, in the NFL the running game is definitely more about steady production than ripping off several big plays per game. And you said that you didn't have an issue with production so it seems pretty good overall.

Great coverage on your site btw really enjoyed it.

# 49 pastapadre @ 05/31/08 06:26 PM
So Dan (Moostache) posted a comment on my site letting me know that in our tournament his opponent with the Chargers had TD runs of 57 and 67 yards with LT.

So that goes to show that a small sample size such as just my games and observations from watching others isn't always ideally representative. Along with that I would chalk some of it up to inexperience with player control and breaking out of animations/tackles as well as we may be seeing more impact from player ratings than in the past (which would be a positive).

# 50 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostarac
@SoxFan: Why do you even pay attention to this troll a.k.a yvesdereuter?
lol...I don't know. I normally don't. Plus I normally stick to The Show section of things here as that's my "main" game at the moment...a lot less negativity over there (for obvious reasons I suppose) I haven't really been too interested in Madden in a few years for many of the same reasons others (including yvesdereuter) have been irritated. It's not that I don't agree that this franchise is seriously behind (for "next gen" in particular)...because it is. I'm not one to settle for mediocre, but I'm also a realist. This game needed (needs) serious rework at the core. From what I've seen so far this year, they are at least addressing things many of us have identified. They seem (key word) to have a new focus and actual plan for moving this game in the right direction. This is where I am hopeful. I'm seriously considering this game, but am not sold on it. The last few have been rentals, so we'll see. The irony is all the people who glorify 2K and bash EA (not directed at anyone in particular) seem to forget that 2K is not some fledgling company itself. In fact many people in the baseball gaming community feel 2K destroyed baseball. I guess I just got caught up in the frustration of hearing the same old "company X is the devil" kind of criticism.

Again, as I put in my edit, I normally don't even engage in those kind of debates...don't know why I did...boredom is a powerful drug, I guess

...end rambling

# 51 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 06:35 PM
Quote:
So Dan (Moostache) posted a comment on my site letting me know that in our tournament his opponent with the Chargers had TD runs of 57 and 67 yards with LT.

So that goes to show that a small sample size such as just my games and observations from watching others isn't always ideally representative. Along with that I would chalk some of it up to inexperience with player control and breaking out of animations/tackles as well as we may be seeing more impact from player ratings than in the past (which would be a positive).
That's good to hear. Hopefully, the new breakaway system makes running have a more rewarding feel once the controls are gotten down. Good job on your coverage. I'm actually somewhat looking forward to trying this one out.

# 52 Ceothachosen1 @ 05/31/08 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
LT 2007 rushing stats

yds 1474
att 315

yds/att.....4.7

rushes OVER 20 yards.....13........once every 24 attempts
rushes OVER 40 yards.......2........once every 158 attempts

anything else?
exactly thats not a bug its just realism

# 53 countryboy @ 05/31/08 07:52 PM
Quote:

Thats great news. And I think that with the new player control and breaking out of tackles animations, Madden is going to have a slight learning curve this year. Thank goodness for pre-season games.

# 54 BlackRome @ 06/01/08 09:41 AM
I'll take Pasta's opinion with a grain of salt. He continues to play NBA Live.
That's either loyalty or or a strange fetish.

The video clips were not promising.

1. The breaking of two tackles and the long run after the short catch was the same old Madden.

2. A 52 yard field goal into a 12 mile per hour wind and it's good.

I thought they fixed the kicking game.

# 55 countryboy @ 06/01/08 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
so because he likes and plays NBA Live, his opinions are not valid?

# 56 SageInfinite @ 06/01/08 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
so because he likes and plays NBA Live, his opinions are not valid?

Actually yes, liking NBA Live nowadays makes your credibility vanish. I'm sorry I hate Live like some of these cats over here hate Madden.

# 57 roadman @ 06/01/08 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
Also, Pasta told us after Community Days last year that presentation would be stepped up and radio guy gone.

# 58 countryboy @ 06/01/08 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
Actually yes, liking NBA Live nowadays makes your credibility vanish. I'm sorry I hate Live like some of these cats over here hate Madden.

OK.....

I'm glad that I don't play basketball games. Because if for some reason I liked Live, and given the fact that I like Madden and NCAA, I probably wouldn't be allowed on these forums.

# 59 SageInfinite @ 06/01/08 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

OK.....

I'm glad that I don't play basketball games. Because if for some reason I liked Live, and given the fact that I like Madden and NCAA, I probably wouldn't be allowed on these forums.

Be thankful everyday you weren't subjected to any next gen NBA Live's cb, lmao. Im sorry I'm an admitted Live *****, that's why you'll hardly ever catch me in those forums. Some people should take that approach over here .

# 60 countryboy @ 06/01/08 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
Be thankful everyday you weren't subjected to any next gen NBA Live's cb, lmao. Im sorry I'm an admitted Live *****, that's why you'll hardly ever catch me in those forums. Some people should take that approach over here .
you don't have to be sorry for hating Live. Like I said, I don't play b-ball games. Never could get into them.

And I agree, it would be nice if people who have nothing but hate for any game and had no intentions of buying it, that they stay out of that games forum.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.