Home
News Post

GameSpot has posted their first look of NHL 09.

Quote:
"As with the Be a Pro mode in FIFA, when you're on the ice in NHL 09's Be a Pro mode, you'll be focused on your player alone, thanks to a third-person camera that will be focused tight (but not too tight) on your created player."

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Flyermania @ 06/06/08 10:48 PM
Game looks and sounds great...looks like defensive controls and presentation got some serious attention --- which is a good thing.

# 22 phillyfan23 @ 06/07/08 01:29 AM
you just have to love this dev team. What they added this year is what most of the customers asked for. A be a pro mode, and enhanced defensive controls.

I can't wait to do the superstar mode with a created james van riemsdyk.....last year's #2 selection by the flyers

so much potential...

# 23 LP @ 06/07/08 02:36 AM
I want to see board play. There is just so much of it in the NHL and it was non existent in 08.

# 24 blinkfan77 @ 06/07/08 03:16 AM
I highly doubt Chara makes the cover over Phaneuf (who was the main focus to the intro of the first trailer). First off, he's a Bruin, and that would just be too good to be true for me, and second, Phaneuf is a rising star, and is the top young Defensemen in the league, not to mention just a flat out top d-man in the league overall. However, Chara still deserves it. He should be the Norris winner this year, with a slight advantage over Lidstrom because of the playing time he missed.

# 25 Vince @ 06/07/08 04:13 AM
Gameplay wise, I just want them to make it harder to get into the opponents defensive zone. As it is, I can go up and down with ease and makes utilizing dump and chase useless.

As we saw in the Cup Final, the Wings absolutely shut down Crosby and Malkin from free wheeling into the zone and they were relegated to being dump and chase guys.

# 26 RaychelSnr @ 06/07/08 10:32 AM
NHL 08 was my favorite sports game last year, I cannot believe how much I played it. If 09 can tighten things up and such, which looks to be the case, I might be giving it a lot of time in my console as well.

# 27 kayto @ 06/07/08 12:08 PM
I hope they add ranked online team play....plzzzz.

# 28 Eddie1967 @ 06/07/08 12:14 PM
Figures EA would add something trivial like be a pro mode and not address line changes board play and other critical areas of hockey that should be in the game already. Last year was a disappointment IMO and this year looks like it might be another rental to see any so called improvements for myself.

# 29 ohyeahbaby123 @ 06/07/08 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Figures EA would add something trivial like be a pro mode and not address line changes board play and other critical areas of hockey that should be in the game already. Last year was a disappointment IMO and this year looks like it might be another rental to see any so called improvements for myself.
You again...

How do you know they didn't change board play and line changes? Have you played it yet? How about you wait for some more info before you go out and already say it's "just a rental."

# 30 cake612 @ 06/07/08 01:16 PM
So pumped for NHL '09 too bad it's still so far off, NCAA is still more than a month away seems like it'll never come out. I'm pretty happy about be a pro mode as long as it's like Captain your Country in EURO 08 where it's the same camera as normal gameplay but you just control the one guy. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with line changes though. Being able to dump the puck will be nice although I'm still in wait and see mode with the goalies. They slowly get better each year but every problem they fix seems to create a new though less serious issue.

# 31 Flyermania @ 06/07/08 03:20 PM
Quote:
Maybe they should add something "non-trivial" like Cinemotion?

Based on some of your other posts, I really doubt anything EA does would get you to like 09. Hopefully VC can re-invent the 2k series for you.

# 32 Knight165 @ 06/07/08 03:31 PM
I might be one of the few guys who actually liked both titles last year.
After a while, I came to realize what nice steps EA had taken with NHL08. Really solid title.

I just hope they can address a few things.

First being more icing and offsides. I get maybe 1 or 2 icings a game....same for the CPU(but mostly none)

Another has already been mentioned and that's moving the check off of the stick. I think if they just switched the tie-up(A button) and the check(the stick) it would be a better configuration.

and lastly, they have to improve the CPU teammates A.I. A lot of times it's pretty lacking....especially the defense. That...is almost non-existent.

The flow of the game(other than missing the offsides and icing) is excellent.
Once you get the feel and hang of the passing with the trigger and the shooting with the stick....it's really a nice combo.

One last thing would be maybe and extra difficulty right between PRO and ALL-STAR....

M.K.
Knight165

# 33 blinkfan77 @ 06/08/08 01:21 AM
Call me stupid but even if you miss lifting the stick and hitting someone in the face, wouldn't that be a MAX of 4 minutes?(and I'm sure blood will not be in the game)

Also, maybe they'll unveil some kind of new fighting system? I know fighting in games is kind of pointless, and I'd much rather they focus on other aspects, but I think is the year they focus a little on fighting.

# 34 savoie2006 @ 06/08/08 01:48 AM
Quote:
It's Ok man,I know you're feelin this game already.Just the things they have mentioned so far are everything hockey fans have been drooling for.Face it,you and everyone on these boards knows EA is taking Hockey gaming to a level of realism it has NEVER seen and this is only year 3.Imagine what this game is gonna be like in two more years....

# 35 Money99 @ 06/08/08 08:26 AM
I absolutely cannot wait for the Superstar Mode in 09.
I have a feeling that's all I'll be doing with this game.

But if they add online Dynasty, where you can compete against 29 other GM's trading, drafting and signing players, I'll be even more stoked.

# 36 Jgainsey @ 06/08/08 10:43 AM
An online dynasty would be awesome. Especially after the lackluster online league features last year. What would be even better is if you could have an online dynasty and be able to do the six on six team play as well. Granted, you'd need like 180 guys to complete a whole league but having the option to do it would be incredible.

I really hope that they focus alot on board play. When you watch a game of hockey on tv or live and then play a game of NHL 08 this has to stand out as one of the most unrealistic aspects of NHL 08. Just think about it... you've got one of the major factors in the game of hockey that is almost non-existant in NHL 08. Maybe alot of casual hockey fans don't care about board play but for me it's like not being able to deke or not being able to take a one timer.

# 37 Vince @ 06/08/08 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by getinthevan87
An online dynasty would be awesome. Especially after the lackluster online league features last year. What would be even better is if you could have an online dynasty and be able to do the six on six team play as well. Granted, you'd need like 180 guys to complete a whole league but having the option to do it would be incredible.

I really hope that they focus alot on board play. When you watch a game of hockey on tv or live and then play a game of NHL 08 this has to stand out as one of the most unrealistic aspects of NHL 08. Just think about it... you've got one of the major factors in the game of hockey that is almost non-existant in NHL 08. Maybe alot of casual hockey fans don't care about board play but for me it's like not being able to deke or not being able to take a one timer.

Agreed. Playoffs = all about board play and chip and chase.

# 38 Trick_ @ 06/08/08 06:28 PM
i'm so excited about this. i intentionally did not follow until after the 08 season (sort of not wanting to get my hopes up) but i can't help it. haven't been this excited for a sports game in years...i always get madden and ncaa on release as its tradition now but i'm stoked about nhl. i will be able to do the sweden 94 deke in perfection. maybe the unveiled feature will be the create a goalie helmet...that would be sweet. 6 on 6 is going to be crazy. and i already know i'm gonna create at least 3 pros...goalie, enforcer and sniper. Enforcer is my dream job, get paid to try and take people out.

Board work i'm sure will be addressed because its a major part of hockey...fights could use improvement but i could care less. I just hope they added where you could check people into the bench...i miss that.

# 39 Jgainsey @ 06/08/08 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Was there any mention of 'dirty-ing up the gameplay a bit? NHL 08 was too clean. Real NHL hockey has scrumms, garbage in front of the net, sloppy play, fanning on shots, the puck bouncing over sticks and flipping and fluttering. Real hockey has all of this sloppiness in it....so when a perfectly executed play and goal are pulled off, it is much more appreciated

There should be more aggressive board play and scraps in the corners, facials and after whistle pushing and shoving in front of the goalie.

Any mention of any of this?

Also better puck physics like NHL 2K8.....In NHL 2008, the puck seemed to feel magnetically parallel to the ice, it didnt flutter, carom, flip or deflect realistically
Very true. This game could definitely benefit from some sloppiness. Every pass shouldn't be tape to tape. I'd love to see some new animations where a pass is off a bit and the player recieving it has to lunge for it or reach his stick behind him to control it. I'd also like to be able to make a through pass with out having to saucer the puck.

I'm not really concerned about the fighting, even though is sucks horribly.. But I hate how the human player is the only one who can initiate the fight. I like how it was in older versions where it would come up on the bottom of the screen and you'd just have to press a button to accept.

# 40 Trick_ @ 06/08/08 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Also better puck physics like NHL 2K8.....In NHL 2008, the puck seemed to feel magnetically parallel to the ice, it didnt flutter, carom, flip or deflect realistically
i agree with everything except this...so many of my replays i watch my goal wishing i could save them (thats for a total different note though) but lots of times the puck going in was ugly, by that i mean rolling in on its side, being deflected or bounced in off my opponents stick or skate or the goalie knocking it in Marc Andre Fleury style j/k. it may not be perfect but i was really impressed. but then again i hadn't played a hockey game since 02. just my .02 cents

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.