Home
News Post

Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ICARUS @ 08/21/08 12:51 AM
I really have to give it to 2K there animations are just on another level its not even close. But live looks very good graphically animation wise still needs a ton of work to compete with 2K

# 22 vaballer34 @ 08/21/08 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
Here's some little details I noticed:

At 0:47, Odom inbounded the ball while running onto the floor. I haven't seen that before. It looked realistic.

At 1:02, there was some excitement on the Warriors bench after the dunk.

At 1:35, a player from the Lakers bench seemed to throw up his arms in frustration after the made 3 pointer by Golden State.

All 3 were in NBA 2k8

# 23 23 @ 08/21/08 01:25 AM
and?

# 24 Bornindamecca @ 08/21/08 01:28 AM
I'm still on the fence. The vid didn't show me anything that changed my opinion one way or another. Showing a bunch of mostly contested jumpers swishing in doesn't really show me much. I'd like to see more random collisions. When Belinelli went for that drive, it looked like he should have been bumped off of his move, but he just seemed to have a protective bubble around him when he spun.

Court spacing looked good. Animations looked better in general, sans that Kobe dunk, as someone previously mentioned. I liked the camera cuts. The sound was great, the chatter, the commentary etc. They should have edited some misses, rebounds and defense into that vid though.

We'll see what the demo has to say.

# 25 vaballer34 @ 08/21/08 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
that dunk by Kobe was absolutley atrocious! Another showing of weird animations from NBA LIve. It ceraintly does look improved, but it just isn't up to par in the animations department...Something Live needs to learn from 2k.

I agree that Kobe dunk was akward and jerky but its good to see that those weird dunk/layup animations from Live 08 are not as common in 09.

# 26 vaballer34 @ 08/21/08 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
and?

Live 09 does look good and I'm glad to see animations like that in the Live series but they seem to always be a year behind 2k when it comes to gameplay animations and maybe gameplay in general. Before this year Live to me was like Sportscenter...nothing but highlights and focusing on dunks and dribble animations while 2k was close to a real basketball game. I'm just happy to see that Live is becoming more and more like a real basketball game instead of fancy dribbles and dunks.

# 27 RubenDouglas @ 08/21/08 02:12 AM
CPU transistion defense... where is it? that has nothing to do with the way these guys were playing and everything to do with the AI of teammates and the CPU team. everyone seems to guard just the man their designated to and not switch?

far too many fastbreak dunks when there are opponents in that vicinity to do something.

also before EVERY game cutscene, there is alot of warping and glitching:

lasts not even half a second but it was in the other nba live vid and is in this one.

moments later its back to where it should be
.. its like they start the replays before the players are fully rendered.. not a good look:

this game needs a mature ratings asap

# 28 Bornindamecca @ 08/21/08 02:22 AM
Hopefully they fix that before it goes gold.

# 29 blingballa333 @ 08/21/08 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaballer34
I agree that Kobe dunk was akward and jerky but its good to see that those weird dunk/layup animations from Live 08 are not as common in 09.
Ehhhhhh, ummmm idk. It seems to me that almost every dunk/layup has jerkiness to it. I saw that with the big men, dunks are the only ones that look smooth, but when Kobe or Iggy throw it down, it's jerky.

# 30 eDotd @ 08/21/08 01:04 PM
Looks ok.

One thing that bugs me, and EA does this in a lot of their sports games, is that the crowd/bench/baselines are running at a MUCH lower frame rate than the actual players/coaches/mascots/refs are. It just looks bad (to me at least), especially when you're bringing the ball up court at a reasonable pace, or on free throws or replays.

# 31 stephensonmc @ 08/21/08 01:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

# 32 Pared @ 08/21/08 01:27 PM
Game looks good; Much better than last year. Dunks were being forced up with proper hand as well.

Sadly, the pump fake sliding bug looks to be in effect here, over from 2k.

# 33 vaballer34 @ 08/21/08 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
Ehhhhhh, ummmm idk. It seems to me that almost every dunk/layup has jerkiness to it. I saw that with the big men, dunks are the only ones that look smooth, but when Kobe or Iggy throw it down, it's jerky.

Yeah I noticed that too when i was watching the Pick and Roll video on IGN...Haywood's dunk was very smooth while Iggy's dunk was jerky. At first I thought the flashier the dunk/layup means more jerkiness to that animation but after seeing how jerky that simple Kobe dunk was caused me to think differently.

I think the dunks would be alot better if they reworked the takeoffs. Once the player is in the air the dunks are not that bad...could be better but still not that bad. Its just the funny looking takeoffs that ruin the whole dunk. The layups need to be redone completely....but thats just my opinion.

# 34 rdelizo35 @ 08/21/08 01:45 PM
Dunks and layups look better than last year, although as evidenced by the Kobe dunk, there still are going to be some awkward moments in the game. Overall, though, the game looks more polished and smoother than it was in last year's game. Glad that a ton of animations are in.

Wish that the gameplay videos would showcase teams running set plays, because I think that is one of the areas that NBA Live '09 has shown improvement over Live '08, but most of the people playing in the videos we've seen just like to drive at will to the basket which does the strategic part of the game no justice.

# 35 ehh @ 08/21/08 02:03 PM
The graphics and lighting seem drastically improved as do the animations and general smoothness/flow of the game.

The ball physics still seem to be off though, it was tough to tell though because there were only a few missed shots in the vid. That Kobe FT was a goddamn line drive though.

This actually gives me hope that NCAA Basketball 09 will be a playable game.

# 36 stephensonmc @ 08/21/08 02:27 PM
Hey guys, I'd like you to keep in mind (if you choose of course) that this was filmed at our EA SPORTS Studio Showcase last week. I was not there (and Chase can speak to it of course), but usually at conventions or media events like this, people are in a line and go one after the other. I'm sure Chase made no substitutions and if he was with one of our producers demoing (don't know if he was or not), then they are going through new things with the game and not really playing in the context of a true representation of NBA basketball.

I could be wrong here, but I just wanted to put some background behind this.

I'm talking to our production team right now, and we're going to try and get some gameplay with the two of them. Remember, now that code has been sent out as well, you'll start to see videos like this as well.

# 37 stephensonmc @ 08/21/08 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
The graphics and lighting seem drastically improved as do the animations and general smoothness/flow of the game.

The ball physics still seem to be off though, it was tough to tell though because there were only a few missed shots in the vid. That Kobe FT was a goddamn line drive though.

This actually gives me hope that NCAA Basketball 09 will be a playable game.
We're actually doing our NCAA Basketball 09 Community Event the second week of September (yes OS is going). Look for more info then buddy.

# 38 ehh @ 08/21/08 02:29 PM
Great, can't wait to see the first preview!

# 39 WTF @ 08/21/08 02:32 PM
Thanks stephensonmc. Appreciate all the info. Can't wait to see someone who actually knows how to play, play.

# 40 rdelizo35 @ 08/21/08 02:41 PM
Thanks, Stephensonmc. I appreciate the time you spend with us in terms of answering our questions and providing feedback and interacting with the community. It will definitely be interesting to see what the gameplay vids show.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.