Home
News Post

We've just posted another gameplay clip from NBA 2K9.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 23 @ 09/23/08 01:13 AM
yeah i noticed Deuce

They were going to him in the clutch, lol

# 22 uscpaperboy @ 09/23/08 01:18 AM
lol @ haywood da hero...i wonder what level and gm spd dat was. i liked da crowd chants too. Can u sim thru assoc mode and show a vid with playoff atmosphere plz

# 23 NumberOneRB @ 09/23/08 01:25 AM
I've seen it in the other videos as well, but I just love that 2K fixed all the fadeaway jumpers. In the past (as you all know) you couldn't time the shot properly because the shooter would release the ball WAY too quickly. Now, you can actually get some air under your shot and release it at your own discretion.

# 24 volantPenguin @ 09/23/08 01:34 AM
I also think this is the best video so far...nice natural alley oop, good post play, players look a lot better, overall presentation

Spacing could be improved (the dinky 2 ft pass), and A.I. reaction (gilbert should have driven/moved after the calderon reach in) ...but overall it's looking great!

btw..thanks Steve for your dedication to this coverage...keep up the good work!

# 25 NumberOneRB @ 09/23/08 01:44 AM
OK, THIS GAME LOOKS SICK! I can't stop watching this video. Just to see the difference, I watched a video of NBA2K8 and last year's version looked like a "game," compared to 2k9 which looks like reality. The animations (and transitions) are some of the best and they really bring these player models to life like I've never seen before. The sheer subtleties of the animations are what really makes this game look so life-like.

# 26 Checmate101 @ 09/23/08 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodima
Yea, it looked like the offense was going through Haywood, thought it would of been more likely to see Stevenson fake then jack that three.

Then again it's a video game.

As a Wizard fan, the wizards do go through Haywood at the start of games, to get him off and feeling good, seems like when he feels like he's involved early he plays better, as to the improvement of him this year. So that vid seem about right to be for them to go through haywood, and usually when haywood gets the ball he's not passing it. So that's about right.

# 27 Superman @ 09/23/08 01:49 AM
Caron reading the defense and taking a jumper off the dribble in the delayed fastbreak niiiice!
Arenas' midair collission, very niiice! They had midair collisions last year but it always looked like they were getting sucked in to the animation, this one is butter.

But this is the last vid I'm gonna watch. I want to see whats left of the new animations and hear the new commentaries when I actually have the game in my hands. Thanks for all the effort thought Steve

# 28 Nodima @ 09/23/08 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
They had midair collisions last year but it always looked like they were getting sucked in to the animation, this one is butter.

Yup, I also liked seeing Calderon get by Jamison for that layup. Way too often I get in there with CP3 or A.I. only to get sucked into a blocking animation by Earl Boykins or Radmanovic.

# 29 XenoZograscope @ 09/23/08 01:57 AM
This vid was good, man this game plays so well. I like the stat overlay when Arenas was at the line gives it more of a TV broadcast feel when playing the game. Watching that guy's live 2K9 gameplay will turn u off from the game, but this vid really got me hype up more for 2K9. The wait is killing me!!

# 30 Jano @ 09/23/08 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceDiggla
So nobody else noticed the first 6 or so shots by the AI were Haywood jumpers and a leaning 3pt shot? Other then that oop, their offense looked slow and predictable.
I've just come to accept that the AI isn't going to run an extremely dangerous offense. And I think its because of the super fast recovery speed that defensive players possess.

Like for instance in Live in order to really stop a team you've got to play really good D because you don't have as much room for error like in 2K games.

For example on ball defense in 2K8 wasn't that hard because of the defense recovery speed you can keep up with a player even if he has beaten you off the dribble. While in Live if you get burned off the dribble you really get worried because if your help defense doesn't react quick enough you know you might be giving up 2 easy points or a foul.

Same thing goes for off ball defense you can keep up with offensive players because screeners never really search for you, they always set the pick in the same spot. So that makes guarding players off the ball really easy. Or you can do other things like let the screen hit you because you know that you'll still be able to keep up with the offensive player.

Not to mention going for steals in 2K isn't that bad because they never really put you out of position when playing D.

Basically what I'm saying is on past 2K games as a defender the amount of errors you can make while playing defense is just too high. Especially while making those same errors you can still prevent the other team from scoring. Hopefully this years game addresses these issues because I think it would make the half court game even better.

# 31 flyriceboii @ 09/23/08 02:19 AM
Great vid! Thanks Steve

# 32 caml17 @ 09/23/08 02:22 AM
A few comments, coming from a big raps fan...

-Sweet "Let's go raptors" chant! Did not expect that!
-When Ukic subbed in, it was definitely a pic of some random guy.. hopefully that is fixed for release.
-They made A.Parker darker for some reason, it now looks less like the real AP.
-Bosh automatically setting picks for Jose! I like
-I think there were some defensive stopper "sig" animations right around the 1 minute mark, JO guarding Haywood.
-Some nice baskets by Butler... He is finding ways to score other than going to the rim and catch-and-shoot.
-Hopefully they have Jose's "three fingers" sig animation after he nails a 3. I have a feeling it will be in there.
-Moon has a new sig shot, Calderon has new sig dribbling.
-Why doesn't moon have a highflyer symbol?

Bosh-star
Calderon- three
AP - three
Kapono - three
JO - stopper
Moon- stopper

Nice looking lineup!!

# 33 youvalss @ 09/23/08 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
Why? You always have the Live demo
I think that was the torture he was talking about...

# 34 fluent2332 @ 09/23/08 02:33 AM
A.I. continues to look dumb and predictable, but there's something about this game that is incredibly sterile, I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the commentary and how it follows the ridiculous "bucket = one-liner" philosophy to a T. It's too bad the Live demo feels like I'm playing a game from 2005, or this would be the first year since 2003 that I bought Live instead of 2K.

# 35 youvalss @ 09/23/08 02:40 AM
Very nice vid. The speed seemed just right and the flow of the game is great! Thanks Steve!

# 36 fluent2332 @ 09/23/08 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
Seeing more things I dislike than like. Maybe I'm too cynical but every basket was assisted for by the Wizards. Way too much interior passing (Brendan Haywood can barely catch the ball let alone make those type of passes).

All in all it is just a video game. But taking that into account I feel like NBA2k is where Madden was in 2005, everybody else seemed to enjoy it but I felt like I was playing the same game I had been since 1995 (thus I enjoyed NFL 2k series more, just as many bugs but a new challenge). 2k's lack of CPU one on one isolation play is just too glaring not to mention it. Every CPU team will average 30 assists a game again against me! This along with the lack of changes to player customization makes me doubting a release day purchase. I may just wait until gamefly can send me a copy.

Thanks Steve and OS for making these decisions easier! I love what this site has become since the old days (just forum). We have developers and homemade videos and all kinds of goodies. One of the best communities there is.
You're not too cynical, alot of people feel the same way. It's crazy to think I probably won't be buying any NBA game this year (I've been buying them every year since Live 95). The lack of feeling like you're playing against the real team is too glaring as well. I think that's what is making the game so sterile.

Team specific playbooks and playsets is a must before I buy NBA 2K again.

# 37 DueceDiggla @ 09/23/08 03:15 AM
[quote=fluent2332;2038735995] The lack of feeling like you're playing against the real team is too glaring as well. I think that's what is making the game so sterile.

[quote]

Agreed. It'll be another year of every AI team playing the same and big men not utilizing their size and strength in the post.

Everyone will say that its the best bball game ever made for the first couple of months, and then the repetitiveness will be too much to be ignored.

# 38 freecss @ 09/23/08 03:23 AM
wow. this video was amazing. calderon dribbles like how he dribbles in real life! nuts. the gameplay looks really smooth. i'm a raptors fan so watching this video and hearing the crowds chant "lets go raptors" was awesome.

i'm not too much into all the extra features like dynasty mode and all that stuff. i like playing the game with my siblings and cousins and friends. the experience comes from kicking their asses or getting my own *** kicked. its more fun.

so.. this leads to my biggest concern in a sim ball game: gameplay. gameplay is very important. and it looks like nba 2k9's gameplay has improved from last year. i hate how last year, if u go up for a shot, u can't change the shot to a pass.

i haven't seen anything on the play calling yet. nba live 09's play calling looks great this year. man.. i just don't know what to buy. i own the 2k8 last year, but this year, i'm stuck in between the two. and both game's demo is not out for the ps3 so i'm constantly on OS awaiting new videos and articles on the two game. sigh

# 39 blingballa333 @ 09/23/08 03:31 AM
The cpu never plays great out of the box. Way too many inside shots taken, very few midrange shots taken, and as previously stated lack of one on one iso play. But if you take the time to edit both player and team tendencies, you can alter the cpu to play pretty much however you want them too. I've been able to edit these in 2k8 for some teams and resolove many of the AI problems you guys have been mentioning. But again it takes time, research, alot of cpu vs. cpu testing to really get it right.

btw, as someone already commented about, i loved seeing the cpu pull off an alley oop. Something you never saw in 2k8.

# 40 youvalss @ 09/23/08 03:36 AM
Btw, not sure if anyone posted this but I read at the 2K forums that the demo is supposed to come out on Sept 25.
And someone gave this link, but I'm not sure if it's reliable:

http://nba2k9.blogspot.com/2008/09/nba-2k9-demo.html

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.