Home
News Post

NHL 09 is, by most accounts, a truly great game. However, there is one feature in NHL which is just subpar, the fighting engine. Alexander Senate checks in today with an article discussing how to fix the fighting engine in NHL 09 to bring it up to par with the rest of the games quality. Check out his thoughts and be sure to add your own two cents!

Quote:
"NHL 09 is the favorite to win my personal Game of the Year award at this point. Unless one of the NBA games comes and knocks it off next month (I’m looking at you 2K9), the race is already over. We can leave the argument for MLB 08: The Show for another time, but what we can’t debate is that no matter how impressive NHL 09 is in terms of gameplay and replayability, there is one thing that is missing. It is something that is one of the most popular aspects of all hockey video games, if not the sport of hockey as a whole. I am of course speaking about the lack of a fully immersive fighting mode. It is something that 09 is plagued by. I did however come up with the way to fix it."

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 tabulaRasa @ 09/30/08 10:21 AM
They should focus on getting accurate calls for interference and fix the exploit move that is stick lifting . It´s absurd when you meet players online that sticklift 250 times a game and get called once or twice.

# 2 mrnickyb @ 09/30/08 11:10 AM
Stupid article. Fighting is idiotic in real life. Why would we want to bring it to the game. It's the first thing I turn off in the options menu. It's a great Hockey game. If I want Fight Night I'll play Fight Night...

# 3 rellix1 @ 09/30/08 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnickyb
Stupid article. Fighting is idiotic in real life. Why would we want to bring it to the game. It's the first thing I turn off in the options menu. It's a great Hockey game. If I want Fight Night I'll play Fight Night...
Too bad fighting is part of hockey. Ever been to a game or seen one on TV?

# 4 roCCityroller @ 09/30/08 11:32 AM
agreed, fighting is a part of hockey and a part of hockey strategy. And it's going to stay because the fans love it and it puts people in the seats. You want a realistic game of hockey but you turn fighting? So, you only want semi-realistic hockey?

# 5 BIG CAROLINA @ 09/30/08 11:41 AM
Thats cool if they want to fix the fighting, i understand that it is a big part of hockey, but so are power plays and penalty kills. I would rather they fix penalties so that you have them on all levels of play.

# 6 roCCityroller @ 09/30/08 12:04 PM
This is just a suggestion for 2010. I don't know how you guys are bringing PP's into the situation?

# 7 adayinthelife @ 09/30/08 12:30 PM
the 'fight night' style of fighting would be a great addition to the game for sure.

personally i think the best fighting i've ever seen in a videogame was in that chronicles of riddick game on the original xbox. first person view, left trigger is your left hand, right trigger is your right hand and getting clocked in the face actually throws you off balance (i don't care how tough you are, getting punched in the face sucks).

it'd be great if they could do something like that perhaps..

# 8 welshman11 @ 09/30/08 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Um, I've been watching hockey since Jacques Plante played for the Canadiens, and I also think fighting is ridiculous, both in real hockey and in hockey video games. And in case you didn't notice, it is slowly being pushed out of hockey.

On top of that, fighting in real hockey is borne out of emotion in the moment. So there's at least some merit or sense to it. But what's video hockey fighting borne out of? Some jacked-up video geek getting their jollies by playing "Punch the virtual person in the face!"

Whoopie, yeah, fun stuff. Really worth defending.

By slowly being pushed out of hockey...does that include the two fights in the last PRE-season game i saw

I think ideally people would like to see the enforcer role being played in the video game hockey as well. Other team takes a roughing liberty on Gagne - Cote comes back and fights other teams enforcer or person who roughed skilled player. Players rule the ice in real life in order to maintain stability in highly emotional and physical games. I'd love to see that in the game eventually.

# 9 roCCityroller @ 09/30/08 02:14 PM
Like Cote’s fight in the first period? The only pushing there was Cotelace pushing the dude off the ice.

# 10 welshman11 @ 09/30/08 02:18 PM
Not many NHL fights conclude in knockout blows like the videogame

# 11 Matt Diesel @ 09/30/08 02:26 PM
Why is fighting stupid in hockey? Some people say its stupid, but why is it stupid? Whats your reason?

It is a part of the game in the way that pitching inside on a hitter is to baseball or fouling hard someone driving the lane in basketball.

I could see if all of a sudden fighting wasnt in hockey and it just started.

Fighting in hockey is a checks and balances system amongst the players.

Some people like their sports to be represented in the highest fidelity possible. So if there is fighting in the real game of hockey, their absolutely should be fighting in the virtual representation. I think it is worth every bit defending. It is part of the game.

# 12 Matt Diesel @ 09/30/08 02:28 PM
Oh, yeah they need to fix the fighting engine. Rarely is anyone ever knocked out and their is hardly a clear winner all the time. Fix that and the open ice checking out of nowhere for no interference call and we are butter.

# 13 welshman11 @ 09/30/08 02:40 PM
are you calling me a neanderthal good sir!

# 14 LP @ 09/30/08 03:25 PM
As long as hockey players still fight, I want it in my game period. If somebody takes a shot at one of the Sedins, somebody better be dropping the gloves.

# 15 Stormyhog @ 09/30/08 08:09 PM
Fighting keeps the cheapshot artist's in check and they will think twice before going after the star players. Look back at the 80's Oilers if you tried to mess with Gretzky you had to deal with Semenko, Mcsorely and McClelland to name a few.

# 16 Roscosuper II @ 09/30/08 08:53 PM
Fighting in hockey is about the players policing themselves, especially at the pro level. And there's more to it than fighting. Players are held responsible for their actions, just ask Claude Lemieux. If you think there's cheap shots in hockey now, it would be insane with out fighting. One guy runs another into the boards, in return that guy gets hit low, etc etc and on and on. As for the people who say "ohhh fighting is stupid, wahh" they're probably people who would be to afraid to be in that position or people whose parents didn't hold them accountable for anything and resolved all their problems for them.

# 17 kenp86 @ 10/01/08 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic78
id rather they fix the penalties stuff and the hitting being ridiculous even with power at 1.... even at zero its still a bit much...petr prucha can flatten everyone on the ice and still be skating around without any risk....
Agreed fighting needs to be re-done.. Its too easy.. 1-2 punches and its over... I also think they should add this idea into the game next year If you go after their star player(Ovechkin or Crosby or someone like that), pick a fight with the wrong person or to many times, or just plain injure someone; they should send thier toghest line out their with the big tought player and he should start goinf after you. Trying to pick a fight or just smashing you any chance they get.. That would be cool

# 18 savoie2006 @ 10/01/08 03:18 PM
I just feel it's the last aspect of the game that needs improved. While it would be nice if it really had an effect on team momentum and such. As it is though, it doesn't really mean anything in regards to the game, thus isn't that important to me.

I would rather see Teammate AI, Dynasty Depth, and other aspects of the game improved first.

# 19 Roscosuper II @ 10/01/08 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Or they could be confident, intelligent adults who tell their kids and others that smacking someone in the face with your fist is juvenile, it resolves nothing, and it only brings you down to the other person's level. Honestly, that really could be it. And in my case, it is.
Well, in hockey it keeps the things from getting to out of hand. Honestly, it does. And I wish you would go watch something else and stop ruining hockey with this yuppie ideology.

# 20 LP @ 10/01/08 09:14 PM
No need to throw insults, or make assumptions about ones character. Why is it that people who don't agree on something can't have a decent discussion?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.