Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Right-analog stick control was first devised in baseball games with the release of MVP 06 NCAA Baseball from EA Sports. In the game, both "Load" and "Fire" batting and Precision Throw Control were introduced, allowing you to bat and throw, respectively, using only the right-analog stick. EA Sports continued the trend with its next baseball title, MVP 07 NCAA Baseball, which reinvented its old button-based pitching system with a new "Rock" and "Fire" pitching system, again mapped to the right-analog stick. This system allowed users to simulate the back-and-forth motion a pitcher would make during his windup, and influenced where the ball would be pitched. Now, a year after Rock and Fire Pitching, which baseball game -- 2K8 or The Show –- has constructed the most fun and intuitive pitching system?

Read More: Trying to Create the Perfect Video Game Pitching Controls

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Trevytrev11 @ 11/07/08 02:43 PM
There are a few things 2K could do to make their system more realistic:

1st) Get rid of the whole idea of a meatball. The outcome of a pitch should be based soley on the results of the motions and not randomness that decides that when you miss big, you miss down the middle. If you miss early with a release, the pitch should be higher than anticipated and if you miss late, it should be lower...just like release points. Also, if they make the stop point a very fine point, missing left (counter clockwise) or right (Clockwise) on thecontroller should make the pitch miss in the same direction.

2nd) It's far too easy to locate a pitchwith everyone. It's as easy with Barry Zito as it is with Greg Maddux. They need to take a few steps to change this.
a) the location icon that you move around to your location should be different for each pitcther and each pitch. A fastball should have a smaller circle than a curveball and a Maddux fastball should be much Smaller than a Zito fastball. The result of a successful pitch would then land anywhere in this circle. So maybe a maddux fastball is slightly bigger than a baseball and a Zito fastball is the size of a volley ball. A Zito curve, maybe the size of a beach ball. (Currenly every pitcher has the ability to pinpoint every pitch which is not realistic at all).
-this would lead to more walks and mistakes would happen naturally. If you try and nibble with Zito (his volleyball sized circle would be half in and half out of the zone), you'll probably throw a lot of balls and will be forced to move more to the center of the zone. Then your at a higher risk for some pitches out over the middle of the plate. Pitching with Zito should be a challenge. Every pitch should require total focus or else you get hammered.
b) The speed of the meter could also change from pitch to pitch as well as pitcher to pitcher. Using Maddux and Zito again, Maddux would have mostly a smooth and steady speed. You should usually be able to get into a pretty good rhythem. With Zito, on every pitch the meter should/could move at a different speed, requiring a lot of attention to throw successful pitches. One fastball may move at medium speed, the next at super slow speed. (Think of what happens when you bring in a fresh pitcher after one that is dead tired in 2K8). You couldn't just mindlessly throw a pitch or you'd get punished.

In both of these systems, early success would lead to your pitcher getting in a groove and in a) the icon getting smaller over the course of the game and b) the meter having more stability in its speed. And early trouble would make things just get worse and worse. When a pitcher is in a groove, things come easy, there isn't a lot of thinking going on and when you struggle, every pitch is a battle. This needs to be reflected.

Also, the game should force you to call/choose your pitch before starting any motion so that it can properly react to a miss. It would know you were at least trying to throw a curveball and throw a flat curve when you miss big instead of a 92MPH fastball down the middle.

Finally, the game needs to do a better job with pitch physics. Pitches down in the zone tend to have more life to them (bigger, sharper breaks, more sink, more movement, bite, whatever) and pitches up in the zone tend to flatten out. A pitch up in the zone is a risky pitch, but in this game, it's a deadly pitch because it is unrealistic.

# 2 Trevytrev11 @ 11/07/08 02:53 PM
After playing 2K8, I don't think I could go back to button pressing for pitching. Even though some of the motions might not perfectly represent the pitchers throwing motion, the required motions on the analog stick all kind of make sense to me and in a way mimick the pitchers arm angle or wrist motion of throwing the pitch. Plus it makes every pitch a bit of a challenge and makes throwing a curevball or slider harder than throwing a fastball, which is the way it should be.

I know others prefer button pressing or just a back and forth motion, but I feel the current system adds a bit of realism in the fact that every pitch is thrown slightly different, whether it be a different speed, arm angle/slot, grip, release point, wrist motion, etc.

# 3 ehh @ 11/07/08 03:07 PM
I like the idea behind 2K8's system because it's more fun and I really don't think it was difficult at all after a few games. The meatball definitely needs to go as mentioned above.

The meter has become old, I prefer the one-button classic pitching in The Show over the meter. Granted it's as simple as can be it does provide the best realism because the game calculates ratings + fatigue to give you a realistic pitch location. My only problem is that it's almost 2009, we need something besides "aim and push X" for a pitching system.

# 4 Trevytrev11 @ 11/07/08 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
I think 2K8's pitching is overrated and pointless....It just makes it more complex to throw a pitch, and it doesn't even come close to feeling like I am actually throwing a certain pitch......Oh yeah, 2K8 was a terrible game anyway.....
No offense, but nothing in the game, running (pressing a direction), throwing (pressing a direction with the other stick), catching (doing nothing at all), hitting, which may be the closest (back and forth motion) feels like your doing any of those things in real life.

Pitching is a very tough thing to do in real life and should probably be somewhat complex, at least IMO. If it were easy, there'd a be a lot more great pitchers out there. If you want pressing a button, it's already out there as an option.

# 5 lilrosati56 @ 11/07/08 03:55 PM
As a 360 owner, unfortunately I never got to play The Show. The lone thing about 2k8 that I liked was the pitching, but I agree with the article about the meatball part. A mistake pitch shouldn't necessarily be a meatball, but more often than not, a ball. This would add more walks to the game, something somebody like myself, who like realistic, sim style games, would really enjoy. However, if the only thing 2K addresses is the pitching, I still won't be buying this game next year after the disaster that was 2k8.

# 6 asu666 @ 11/07/08 05:24 PM
I love MLB's Classic setup with the outfield camera. I got use to using MVP 2005's click system, but over the course of 162 game season I mostly just want to select the pitch, its location, and let the CPU figure out the rest. I find that over time I get so good at the timing of click or analog systems that I have to keep adjusting the diffiuclt to conpensate. There's no need to worry about that either with the CPU in control and it places more of an emphasis on the player I sign and their rating.

# 7 nemesis04 @ 11/07/08 06:08 PM
As far analog pitching goes, I enjoyed MVP's pitching better than the one in 2k. The meat pitch got really annoying after a while. As far as a button press pitching system, I enjoy the classic version of the Show but if I was to have my ultimate choice it would be the pitching in HH.

# 8 BIG CAROLINA @ 11/07/08 08:04 PM
I know that most guys here have not played it but PYS5 has the best Pitching Controls in my Opinion as well as hitting.

# 9 dodgerblue @ 11/07/08 09:08 PM
I got to play them both and aside from the fact that the show is vastly superior in every facet, 2k8 was certainly new and unique. However, as previously mentioned, totalcontrol pitching needs work. I do like the different type of motion for each pitch, it keeps things interesting.

In the end, repetition makes pitching easy to master if you play enough games. I think there needs to be more variability or more difficulty (like the tuning feature in mvp mods) or any system ends up too easy.

# 10 HechticSooner @ 11/08/08 01:32 AM
Trevytrev11 that is the best idea I have ever seen. Truly innovative hopefully the 2k guys see that and make it into the game. It would be something that could say them the baseball competition.

# 11 MillardMavs @ 11/08/08 04:03 PM
i love the right analog pitching motion

# 12 Shinyhubcaps @ 11/08/08 09:15 PM
I really dislike the MLB 2K8 system of pitching. After a while, you just want to get a pitch off without making semicircles with your analog stick. Mapping pitching to an analog stick doesn't make it more fun or even more lifelike; it just makes it more tedious. As wsu_gb23 said, it just makes it more complex without really achieving any additional level of control.

Beyond that, there are some things that are overlooked; first, it seems to take too long to throw a pitch in MLB 2K8. Second, the system in MLB 08: The Show is much more precise to button-presses (no delays). Third, in MLB 08, you can influence the pitch with the left stick even after your wind-up has begun. So for execution, MLB 08 is definitely preferred. For the idea behind it... maybe I just don't get it, but when you add in MLB 08's late adjustments, MLB 08 also wins.

Sorry, but I don't think MLB 2K8's pitching really adds anything except deadweight complexity.

# 13 Gossennator @ 11/10/08 11:47 AM
Griffey baseball for 64

# 14 vaughn99 @ 11/10/08 04:02 PM
In most baseball games there's a "manager mode" that always had this little dialogue (or similar):

• Pitch to Batter
• Pitch Around Batter
• Intentional Walk
• Hit Batter

And you could select one and watch how it played out. Seems perfect to me.

The less control you have over pitching, the more control you feel like you have over the situation. Remember -- it's baseball -- and the macro is so much more important than the micro.

It's a chess match, not "adjusting your shot on the way to hoop" NBA one-on-one match-up.

# 15 asu666 @ 11/10/08 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn99
In most baseball games there's a "manager mode" that always had this little dialogue (or similar):

• Pitch to Batter
• Pitch Around Batter
• Intentional Walk
• Hit Batter

The less control you have over pitching, the more control you feel like you have over the situation. Remember -- it's baseball -- and the macro is so much more important than the micro.

It's a chess match, not "adjusting your shot on the way to hoop" NBA one-on-one match-up.
I know I wouldn't want to be able to pick the pitch and its location. That would mean losing the battle between the pitcher and hitter. It turns it into a roll of the dice. I like to believe that it's more than just a role of the dice. Pitch a guy low and away to encourage him to hit it on the groud, or high and in to try to make him pop out, that kind of detail is lost with out control. Not to mention when I think the CPU is going to try to bunt I throw a high curve to make it difficult to get the ball on the ground. If I'm wrong the CPU has a good shot at putting the ball outside the park. I see where you're going, but The Show's classic system is perfect imo.

# 16 Trevytrev11 @ 11/11/08 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn99

• Pitch to Batter
• Pitch Around Batter
• Intentional Walk
• Hit Batter

This doesn't make sense to me at all. Every individual pitch (the micro) dictates the outcome (the macro). You can't just say pitch to a hitter and hope for a double play ball. You have to execute the proper pitches in hopes the hitter will put the ball on the ground. This is the chess match that is baseball. It's setting hitters up, moving them off the plate a few inches on one pitch to go away on the corner with the next pitch. It's throwing a curveball in a fastball count. It is the micor because one pitch, any pitch, can change a game. You can hope and pray for a groundball, but if you can't execute the pitch in the bottom 1/3 of the zone, chances are the balls going to be hit in the air.

Do you feel this way about hitting and fielding as well as far as less physical control and more computer control?

If not, why have complete control over the hitter or the fielder and not the pitcher? For hitting, why not just have "hit behind runner, hit ball in air,etc." as your options instead of actually swinging the bat?

If so, then I'm confused as to why next gen baseball games would appeal to you. It seems like stat based sims would better suit you...or a MLB game like NFL head coach. I don't think the goal of this game is to be either of those things.

# 17 vaughn99 @ 11/11/08 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
This doesn't make sense to me at all. Every individual pitch (the micro) dictates the outcome (the macro). You can't just say pitch to a hitter and hope for a double play ball. You have to execute the proper pitches in hopes the hitter will put the ball on the ground. This is the chess match that is baseball. It's setting hitters up, moving them off the plate a few inches on one pitch to go away on the corner with the next pitch. It's throwing a curveball in a fastball count. It is the micor because one pitch, any pitch, can change a game. You can hope and pray for a groundball, but if you can't execute the pitch in the bottom 1/3 of the zone, chances are the balls going to be hit in the air.

Do you feel this way about hitting and fielding as well as far as less physical control and more computer control?

If not, why have complete control over the hitter or the fielder and not the pitcher? For hitting, why not just have "hit behind runner, hit ball in air,etc." as your options instead of actually swinging the bat?

If so, then I'm confused as to why next gen baseball games would appeal to you. It seems like stat based sims would better suit you...or a MLB game like NFL head coach. I don't think the goal of this game is to be either of those things.
That would be the optimum, that you choose what to do when hitting as well -- but just like in real life -- IT IS a "roll of the dice" so-to-speak. It would be nice as well if you had deeper options in hitting and pitching . . . but this discourse is specific to pitching and what's actually out there.

I think my disconnect with sports gaming is where the blur occurs between controlling a player and a team. These are team sports and yet we can switch to nearest player to make a tackle, or in Baseball -- we are the pitcher and catcher and nearest fielder. I don't think the 1st person POV is ever the (or even an) answer, so IMO it should revert back to you're a manager, you can call pitches, but you're leaving it up to a player (or here a game's AI) to determine the outcome.

# 18 vaughn99 @ 11/11/08 11:49 AM
And you're right -- I enjoy NFL Head Coach and I even had an import version of Football Manager (the Euro sim game for soccer) ordered before I even had my 360, (which so happens to be region-free). And I'm stoked for the MLB General Manager . . . Why next gen? I do like these pretty pictures -- and the processing power is amazing, too.

# 19 Beantown @ 11/11/08 03:51 PM
I enjoy the button scheme a lot more than the right-stick scheme that debuted in MLB this year. The stick control was innovative and would be cool...if I didn't despise it.

# 20 Chitown1211 @ 11/11/08 07:59 PM
I like the idea behind 2K8's pitching system and it is fun, but I only use it when I want to play an in depth game. IMO 2K3, or WSB at the time, worked just fine. Aim and press a button. Let the ratings and randomness be the judge of what happens. There was a "pitching variabillity" slider that worked great. If I could just get that back and REAL cursor hitting I would be set.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.