Home
News Post

With Major League Baseball’s winter meetings now in the rear-view window, many people around the country are wondering how their favorite teams are going to cope with the latest signings and trades that have been made.

The biggest moves have been made by the New York Mets and the New York Yankees, while a few other teams have made very few moves in the offseason. All of this will mean that the team rankings in MLB 09 will be very different.Also, while a lot of teams have been strengthened by trades and free-agent signings this winter, there are more than a few teams that will suffer when it comes to overall team rankings in MLB 09.

Read More - What the Offseason Moves Mean for Baseball Gamers

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 LL-Cool-P @ 12/22/08 01:07 PM
Nice, don't fancy playing the Mets too often in '09, or the Yankees for that matter!

# 2 jpup @ 12/22/08 01:20 PM
The Reds have signed Arthur Rhodes to replace Affeldt in the bullpen. Judging the Freel/Hernandez trade on batting average is also suspicious. The trade had very little to do with offense. The Reds needed a catcher to put with their young pitchers Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto. Cueto speaks very little English and the backup catcher, Ryan Hanigan did well last season, but it was a very small sample. Research my friend. It's a little early to be judging the offseason since there are so many free agents left out there.

The Reds have one of the better bullpens in baseball considering Cordero, a healthy Jared Burton, Bill Bray, Arthur Rhodes, David Weathers is back, & either Nick Masset or Ramon Ramirez will be the other guy to be the long reliever. The bullpen has nothing to do with their problems.

The Reds need offense and lots of it. They traded Adam Dunn for Micah Owings and desperately need something to replace his on base ability. The Reds have only one outfielder that is a sure fire starter in Jay Bruce. Chris Dickerson should be the centerfielder, but questions remain about whether is late season call up performance was for real or just a mirage.

For once, the pitching in the Queen City is very good. Aaron Harang will surely be healthy and back to his normal self, Edinson Volquez is one of the best young pitchers in baseball, Bronson Arroyo is a league average guy in the 3 spot. Johnny Cueto has tremendous stuff and will certainly take a step up in his second year. The 5th starter spot will be a fight between, Homer Bailey, Ramon Ramirez, Owings, Darryl Thompson, and possibly a veteran brought in this offseason.

The Reds just need a shortstop, another big hitting outfielder (Bobby Abreu, Milton Bradley, etc.) to go along with the bats of Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Edwin Encarnacion.

So, your reasoning is pretty far off IMO.

# 3 Rod_Carew29 @ 12/22/08 01:34 PM
well...for those of us who REALLY care about ACCURATE rosters BEFORE we play, we already know and/or don't really care too much about rankings--we just want the rosters to be as close to 100% a mirror of the majors rosters when we start our franchise or season.

And there's also a group of us who continually update ALL rosters, to ALL 30 teams consistently throughout the season--to keep up with the actually major league doings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
With Major League Baseball’s winter meetings now in the rear-view window, many people around the country are wondering how their favorite teams are going to cope with the latest signings and trades that have been made.

The biggest moves have been made by the New York Mets and the New York Yankees, while a few other teams have made very few moves in the offseason. All of this will mean that the team rankings in MLB 09 will be very different.Also, while a lot of teams have been strengthened by trades and free-agent signings this winter, there are more than a few teams that will suffer when it comes to overall team rankings in MLB 09.

Read More - What the Offseason Moves Mean for Baseball Gamers

# 4 Alliball @ 12/22/08 01:43 PM
It means never being able to hear Hells Bells when Hoffy comes in now that they've added the new audio feature.

# 5 Rod_Carew29 @ 12/22/08 01:46 PM
Honestly, it IS tedious a lot of the time...LMAO

but...like a pot head, I'm addicted to what I do

LOLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
You are me, or visa versa. I actually have a lot of fun doing this, where many people think it's just too tedious. Not me.

# 6 mAiLmAn 502 @ 12/22/08 02:15 PM
it sucks, baseball needs a salary cap sooooo bad, if u have a good free agent yr, u play in new york, it sickening. and then u are embarrassed bcuz new york teems cant get it done, lol struggle to make playoffs. 250 million dollars tied up in 2 pitchers, 1 of whom stays injured and inconsistent, and the other is a dominating regular season pitcher, who is the worst post season pitcher around. Go rays and marlins and twins, keep sticking it to them, i will still be using my atrocious now DUNNless reds....

# 7 ARMORALLL @ 12/22/08 07:28 PM
Hmm no mention of the Jays.

# 8 teebee @ 12/22/08 09:34 PM
It wasn't Lillibridge ATL had to give up, it was Yunel Escobar and Tommy Hansen, still would have been a good deal for ATL

# 9 Rob_NYY @ 12/23/08 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
The Mets and Yankees will never be good....their teams are full of over-paid egos!
This is a forum for MLB The Show the video game. Being overpaid and having egos has nothing to do with video games. LL was commenting on how playing these teams, in a video game, will be tough because they have good players.

I don't see why so many people on here have to get into team and player bashing. This shouldn't be the place for that. There is a general MLB forum on this site, take that stuff there. It doesn't matter if you are a Yankees fan, a Cardinals fan, a Royals fan, etc., we are all fans of The Show.

# 10 The Management @ 12/23/08 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAiLmAn 502
it sucks, baseball needs a salary cap sooooo bad, if u have a good free agent yr, u play in new york, it sickening. and then u are embarrassed bcuz new york teems cant get it done, lol struggle to make playoffs. 250 million dollars tied up in 2 pitchers, 1 of whom stays injured and inconsistent, and the other is a dominating regular season pitcher, who is the worst post season pitcher around. Go rays and marlins and twins, keep sticking it to them, i will still be using my atrocious now DUNNless reds....
I'm playing a sad song on a really small violin for you buddy.

# 11 Eski33 @ 12/23/08 02:42 PM
Does anyone think that the pickups the Yankees made will matter? They spend the most money every year and they under-achieve every year....

# 12 ronnyballgame @ 12/23/08 03:12 PM
Ratings wise, yeah those teams are going to get better overall from where they are on a videogame format, which is what I believe the author is trying to explain, and not their real life counterparts. Adding K Rod and Putz to a videogame roster(both have to be mid 90's) is a little scary being a Phillies fan, but our bullpen is solid also. I am very excited to play next years game with all these rosters moves, and the ones that are going to come.

# 13 giants79 @ 12/23/08 04:52 PM
well you can now add Big Tex to the Yankees

# 14 The Management @ 12/23/08 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management
I'm playing a sad song on a really small violin for you buddy.
Now I'm playing a really sad song

# 15 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/23/08 05:45 PM
What it means now is, the leagues run on here better take advantage of the fantasy drafts put in '09. Or there is going to be lopsided blowouts.

# 16 Russell_SCEA @ 12/23/08 06:15 PM
It means that over 90% of the games I play online against random people will be against the Yank's with CC at the mound.

# 17 SoxChamp @ 12/23/08 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
It means that over 90% of the games I play online against random people will be against the Yank's with CC at the mound.
...which is why I don't play online. Any game. Ever. I choose not to expose myself to the idiocy.

# 18 jpup @ 12/23/08 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
...which is why I don't play online. Any game. Ever.
same here.

# 19 The Management @ 12/23/08 06:40 PM
It seemed like I faced Santana 90% of the time last year when the game first came out and I was usually Royals. After a while people started using different teams so it's all good.

Madden is worse. You almost always play the Patriots/Cowboys

# 20 nemesis04 @ 12/23/08 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Gotta play with the right people. I can tell you that a lot of the guys here play straight up and the games are highly competitive.
I have had a lot of fun with many guys in these forums. You weed out the riffraff and you can end up with a great core of players.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.