Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Gamespot has posted their hands on preview of MLB 2K9.

Quote:
"Like all of the core titles in 2K Sports' roster of sports games, MLB 2K9 has been pulled into internal development. The result is a baseball game that, at least graphically, has been built from the ground up. Producers told us that while the AI code has been modified and built from previous entries in the MLB 2K series, the look and feel of the game are new."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Motown @ 01/27/09 11:04 AM
I just hope the PS3 version is on par w/ the 360 this year.

# 62 buzzguy @ 01/27/09 11:21 AM
Looking good! Can't wait to see the game in-motion!

# 63 Goffs @ 01/27/09 11:28 AM
any news that this will be on PC? i will be getting this if it were...

# 64 BadKermit @ 01/27/09 11:39 AM
I have the same concern as some of the other people that the controls are a bit "dumbed-down," as I loved the pitching mechanic last year. However, I'm taking a GS hands-on with a grain of salt. I don't think a baseball video gamer would make this mistake:

Quote:
Then, when the ball crosses the mound, you can swing as you normally would.
I'm going to look awfully silly if I swing when the ball crosses the mound.

# 65 brendanrfoley @ 01/27/09 11:46 AM
That's a fair point. I'll take gameplay from OS far more seriously than Gamespot.

Now that Gamespot as blown the lid of its "exclusive" however, I imagine more hands-on reports are just around the corner.

# 66 BadKermit @ 01/27/09 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
That's a fair point. I'll take gameplay from OS far more seriously than Gamespot.

Now that Gamespot as blown the lid of its "exclusive" however, I imagine more hands-on reports are just around the corner.
Exactly. I'm hoping for a flood of information, and I'll be looking forward to the O.S. impressions of the game.

# 67 brendanrfoley @ 01/27/09 12:07 PM
Is there any word if/when OS will get its hands on 2K9?

# 68 ronnyballgame @ 01/27/09 12:14 PM
Loving the sound of it, I am getting more and more excited for this game!

# 69 dtigers63 @ 01/27/09 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Why does it matter to PS3ers if MLB 2k sucks? You have a great game in The Show. For us 360ers, all we got is 2k (which is why I haven't bought a baseball game since MVP 2005).
Why do 360 users constantly use this as an excuse for the game not playing the same on both consoles? Yes, the Show is a great game, but what does that have to do with a game that is developed for multiple systems, not playing the same on multiple systems. If your not going to make the effort to have the same results for the PS3 as you do for the 360, than you shouldn't be producing the game for both formats. I agree 360 users should get a much better product than they have from 2K over the past couple of years, but not at the expense of a half a**** job on the PS3.

Now that being said, I have a pretty good feeling so far that VC is going to be more committed to putting out a decent game for us PS3 owners. I still have some uestions about franchise that I'm a little concerned about but hopefully they'll be answered soon enough. (Are there still real minor league stadiums? Can you still play AAA - A games in franchise?)

# 70 bakesalee @ 01/27/09 01:54 PM
So glad they're keeping all the sticks. Hey, why don't they have us push up on the left thumbstick to move the baserunners left leg 1-step, and the same thing for the R-stick. To move a baserunner from base to base, it'll look a little something like this:

R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick up, R-stick up, L-stick u

Totally realistic! They need to concentrate more on removing fun and adding monotonous realistic play.

# 71 brunnoce @ 01/27/09 02:05 PM
this worries me:
"and while fielding remains virtually unchanged"

# 72 Fatalah @ 01/27/09 02:09 PM
I'm not in the camp that has fond memories of MLB2K7. The only thing I remember from that game is that it played like glue--- just like every MLB game from 2K this generation.

What I'm big on is animation, and you all should be too. Animation is king in videogames, check out an old Aki game for reference. Player models need to move swiftly and fluidly when you're running down a ball in the outfield.

I am VERY weary that Gamespot experienced graphical bugs at this point in development. I do enjoy the clean look of the graphics, but framerate issues means this game is not worth my time (again).

# 73 JBucc @ 01/27/09 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnoce
this worries me:
"and while fielding remains virtually unchanged"
I think he just means the controls are the same. I hope.

# 74 CMH @ 01/27/09 02:22 PM
Being able to control all 30 teams just pushed my hopes up high for this title.

I really do hope there is zone hitting. I am not a fan of MVP's hitting system. Hold up and in to hit a homerun? No thank you.

Not sure how I'm going to feel about that just yet.

# 75 mdiggitydawg @ 01/27/09 02:56 PM
as mentioned above...the fielding comment scares me, i thought they were working on making the double play better, improving the outfield throws and working out how to better steal bases. i want to believe, but am like an abused puppy scared in the corner waiting for the next disappointment.

# 76 VG31 @ 01/27/09 03:55 PM
I didn't see anything about it, but does anyone know if there will be some sort of superstar mode?

# 77 BadKermit @ 01/27/09 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG31
I didn't see anything about it, but does anyone know if there will be some sort of superstar mode?
I highly doubt it. I'm sure they'd be hyping the heck out of it if there was one.

# 78 SoxFan01605 @ 01/27/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
So basically, since Sony puts forth the effort to make their own baseball game, and Microsoft doesn't, the PS3 users shouldn't be allowed two solid offerings?

Haha, what a ridiculous sentiment.
You know what sucks is that MS has a perfectly good baseball franchise to work with if they wanted to put the effort into making a baseball title (didn't they purchase the High Heat series?).

I would love to see that game given some new life

It would likely push 2K to make a solid product even more. Win-Win-Win...lol.

# 79 dtigers63 @ 01/27/09 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
You know what sucks is that MS has a perfectly good baseball franchise to work with if they wanted to put the effort into making a baseball title (didn't they purchase the High Heat series?).

I would love to see that game given some new life

It would likely push 2K to make a solid product even more. Win-Win-Win...lol.

I agree, the more the merrier. From what I've heard a re-birth of High Heat would really get some peoples interest peaked. (never played the game myself but have heard really good things).

# 80 SoxFan01605 @ 01/27/09 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtigers63
I agree, the more the merrier. From what I've heard a re-birth of High Heat would really get some peoples interest peaked. (never played the game myself but have heard really good things).
Yeah, it was a very good playing game with some strong customization.

It was not the most visually appealing title though...lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.