Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

OK, here is the very first gameplay video from Major League Baseball 2K9. Pay no attention to my sliding skills (or lack thereof), while trying to swipe second... Pushed the wrong analog stick, the wrong way...

Anyways, the bottom of the 1st will be posted in the morning, along with some franchise screenshots. We'll have plenty of videos to come tonight and over the weekend as well. Remember to keep conversation on topic, please.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Knight165 @ 02/13/09 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjwm
Yeah, what would happen if they couldn't get back in there for whatever reason? lol
The game would go haywire.
Haha...

They had a little meeting at the mound...right before going off the field...
"We must make the dugout...AT ALL COSTS" HOORAAH!

Okay, watched the video again.

I'm on board with the real time atmosphere. VERY cool.
It's not something you pick up right away...but it's going to make playing through game....much more interesting.....I like the idea of the feeling that the other team is a living breathing entity of sorts.
Crowds look MUCH better.

I'm still seeing the hitching in the video. At the same time every time.
For instance...when the camera is showing Zambrano after a hit to the outfield...it's a shot from the outfield....he kind of does this jerking motion. Looks like the girl from The Ring coming out of the TV.
I notice it on the pitches too. Seems like the ball misses a frame right in the middle of the pitch.

Overall....I'd say much improved so far over 2k8.
I'd say the switch to VC was a good move.

M.K.
Knight165

# 82 boomhauertjs @ 02/13/09 11:13 AM
I like what I see (still need to play the demo and get some OS impressions of the full game before I totally commit). I love the NBA series, so I'm glad to see that VC has definitely put its imprint on this game.

# 83 mwjr @ 02/13/09 11:14 AM
The hits to the outfield concern me.

1. The double - Did the OF have the batter shaded to left? I couldn't tell. If they didn't, there's no way that the CF would be able to get to the ball before it hits the wall.

2. The final out - Seems like it gets to Soriano real quickly and he's able to backhand it about waist-high.

Not so sure about those plays.

And, yes, I saw some hiccups, too.

# 84 mwjr @ 02/13/09 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
-My concerns about Steve Phillips are diminishing (not my hate though). He sounds pretty fluid actually. The commentary is another BIG plus.
Only concerns I had from the commentary:

1. Thorne says, "Shumaker, here we go!" almost back-to-back when Shumaker (sp?) dives back into 1st base and when he tries to steal on the subsequent pitch.

2. Phillips says (I'm paraphrasing), "The Cubs continue to draw well, even when they're not at home." Seems curiously out of place considering that the Cubs are at home.

# 85 mwjr @ 02/13/09 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
-That damn organ..
I've read this from a number of posters. Why are people bothered by the organ? The organ is a part of nearly every baseball park in America. They're omnipresent. Why is it bothersome in the game?

# 86 Blzer @ 02/13/09 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
I've read this from a number of posters. Why are people bothered by the organ? The organ is a part of nearly every baseball park in America. They're omnipresent. Why is it bothersome in the game?
When for six consecutive installments of the game you hear How Much Is That Doggy in the Window in the bottom of the ninth of a tight game, you know that it's time for the organ to go.

# 87 Woodweaver @ 02/13/09 11:25 AM
Quote:
Only concerns I had from the commentary:

1. Thorne says, "Shumaker, here we go!" almost back-to-back when Shumaker (sp?) dives back into 1st base and when he tries to steal on the subsequent pitch.

2. Phillips says (I'm paraphrasing), "The Cubs continue to draw well, even when they're not at home." Seems curiously out of place considering that the Cubs are at home.
Also the Shumaker steal attempt itself looked odd. No slide. It just looked like he was rounding the base. No collision detection during the tag either. They just passed right through each other.

# 88 brendanrfoley @ 02/13/09 11:28 AM
Four things put me at ease about the framerate we see in this video:

• It's a Beta (unoptimized) copy

• The vids are encoded at 30fps, the game is 60fps -- hence the lost frames

• It already runs more smoothly than MLB 2K8

• Visual Concepts has delivered, so far

# 89 brendanrfoley @ 02/13/09 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Also the Shumaker steal attempt itself looked odd. No slide. It just looked like he was rounding the base. No collision detection during the tag either. They just passed right through each other.
Agree about the "Here we go!" line.

But, Steve already mentioned he forgot to push the button to slide; that was user error.

# 90 Woodweaver @ 02/13/09 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Agree about the "Here we go!" line.

But, Steve already mentioned he forgot to push the button to slide; that was user error.
I figured it was probably user error. But, don't you normally stop at the base when you are stealing even if you don't slide?

# 91 mwjr @ 02/13/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
Also the Shumaker steal attempt itself looked odd. No slide. It just looked like he was rounding the base.
I chalked that up to the user not knowing which controls to use to do that. I hope that's what it was.

# 92 lived @ 02/13/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
I figured it was probably user error. But, don't you normally stop at the base when you are stealing even if you don't slide?
I believe there is an option to make it user-controlled or automatic for sliding. I know it was in 2k8, they may or may not have tooken it out

# 93 brendanrfoley @ 02/13/09 11:48 AM
Quote:
He also mentioned he hit the analog stick and sent the runner to third.

# 94 bryan_05 @ 02/13/09 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Isn't Wrigley one of the few stadiums that plays the organ during games? Hopefully, it's just a Wrigley thing and not an every stadium thing this year. And if they are going to offer the organ, give us an option to shut it off.
Yes Wrigley uses an organ. I've heard a few Johnny Cash songs pre-game, it's magnificent!

# 95 Checmate101 @ 02/13/09 11:56 AM
Man, the games looks great, other some problems which I can by pass..The game looks wonderful..Like how they have zambrano talking to himself.

and on that pop up, Zambrano usually catches those infront of the mound, one of the few picthers that like to field. So that's not unusual

# 96 brendanrfoley @ 02/13/09 12:03 PM
Why are people complaining about the Cardinals' double, and how quickly the center fielder reached the ball?

Not only was the center fielder playing deep, but he was shaded heavily to left center. Oh, and the throw to second? Used the cut off man. Looked like a bang-bang baseball play to me.

# 97 Trevytrev11 @ 02/13/09 12:04 PM
Quote:
Most stadiums, at least the handfulls of ones I have been to do not use the Organ at all. Most use newer technology to play their music and use other computer generated sound effects. In the past few years I've been to Oakland, SF, Old Busch, Houston and Arlington and I cannot recall once hearing any organ music at all.

As someone else said, Wrigley still does, so I'm hoping it's ballpark specific.

# 98 Trevytrev11 @ 02/13/09 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Why are people complaining about the Cardinals' double, and how quickly the center fielder reached the ball?

Not only was the center fielder playing deep, but he was shaded heavily to left center. Oh, and the throw to second? Used the cut off man. Looked like a bang-bang baseball play to me.
I know he's playing deep and shaded that way, but he still covers a ton of ground in what I counted to be about 2 seconds from contact to catch...hopefully it was just due to the dramatic shift.

Without trying to look too much into it, that is one hell of a shift regardless of the batter. Who plays 5 feet in front of the warning track?

# 99 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
- Pujols batting stance seemed off.
It's hard to tell from the batting view since we're so used to seeing him from the pitching view in real life, but the screenshot gamespot posted from a different angle looked to have his stance right.

# 100 brendanrfoley @ 02/13/09 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I know he's playing deep and shaded that way, but he still covers a ton of ground in what I counted to be about 2 seconds from contact to catch...hopefully it was just due to the dramatic shift.

Without trying to look too much into it, that is one hell of a shift regardless of the batter. Who plays 5 feet in front of the warning track?
It didn't strike me as odd, but it will be worth watching. I've been around this board long enough to know you're one person to trust when it comes to understanding the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.