Home
News Post

Peaks and valleys are a part of life and baseball. With that in mind, some of the guys on the list below are on the normal path of decline, some are young guys with long careers ahead of them, and one is still great, just not as much. However, all five of them deserve at least a slight drop in MLB 09: The Show.

5. Todd Helton - After taking advantage of Coors Field for the past decade or so, eventually Todd Helton was going to cool off. His home run totals have dipped over the years, but his batting average and on-base acumen were more than enough to keep his spot in the lineup. However, last year had to be tough for Helton. He missed half the season due to a back injury, and he only hit .264 when he was active. With a lot of players up in the air and Matt Holliday no longer slugging in Colorado, Helton could go to a team in need of a quick fix. If you try to trade for him in your franchise, be wary of his no-trade clause.

Read More - Who's Ratings Should be Dropped in MLB '09: The Show?

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/19/09 05:45 PM
Interesting. I would like to see something about players who need a boost as well.

# 2 sgthalka @ 02/19/09 05:53 PM
Rollins and Tulowitzki were hurt last year ... if you want to talk about overrated shortstops, look no further than Derek Jeter or Miguel Tejada.

I'm sure Gavin Floyd and Cliff Lee will be overly juiced up this year.

Oh, and Travis Hafner. I'll be surprised if he's still in the majors by the end of the year.

# 3 SoxFan01605 @ 02/19/09 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Davis
DAVID ORTIZ and ALEX RIOS!
I even love Ortiz but hes fallen off and I literally just read that hes not having shoulder issues which could mean BIG problems

I don't think an injury plagued year should drop a guy too much. If Ortiz is really declining after this year, then sure. That goes for any player coming off of injury too (like a couple on the list), not just Ortiz IMO.

# 4 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/19/09 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztiddarkangelman
of course a Sox fan would say that. I would suggest a big overhaul to big Papi's stats.
Of course a Yankee's fan would say that!

This is fun.

# 5 SoxFan01605 @ 02/19/09 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols/bravesfan
Derek Jeter overrated?
Purely on skill, it's true...especially as a fielder.

Overall though, it's hard to categorize the importance of how he conducts himself and plays the game.

# 6 JaSnake16 @ 02/19/09 06:42 PM
Sorry got to agree on Ortiz (I know I know Yankee fan). He looked lost last year and couldnt catch up with anyones good stuff. Maybe it was the injury, but he sure didnt look like himself before he got hurt. At his size and shape he looks like the type that can just fall off the cliff immediately like Mo Vaughn did.

By the way you probably can throw Posada on this list.

# 7 zito75 @ 02/19/09 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Peaks and valleys are a part of life and baseball. With that in mind, some of the guys on the list below are on the normal path of decline, some are young guys with long careers ahead of them, and one is still great, just not as much. However, all five of them deserve at least a slight drop in MLB 09: The Show.

5. Todd Helton - After taking advantage of Coors Field for the past decade or so, eventually Todd Helton was going to cool off. His home run totals have dipped over the years, but his batting average and on-base acumen were more than enough to keep his spot in the lineup. However, last year had to be tough for Helton. He missed half the season due to a back injury, and he only hit .264 when he was active. With a lot of players up in the air and Matt Holliday no longer slugging in Colorado, Helton could go to a team in need of a quick fix. If you try to trade for him in your franchise, be wary of his no-trade clause.

There's gonna be no trade clauses in this years game? Didn't know that.

# 8 scoobywho @ 02/19/09 07:55 PM
damn

# 9 JT30 @ 02/19/09 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
i'll agree even as a Yankees fan that Jeter has one of the worst fielding ranges for a SS but he's still one of the top hitting SS in baseball. Jeter always gets bashed for his defense declining each year but maybe if he roided like some of these other guys he'd be more productive. The fact that he has put up the consistant offensive numbers throughout his career, playing in the roid era without being a roider (lets face it we know Jeter is clean), makes his performance even more impressive. If only he wasn't robbed of the MVP twice (in 06 him and Mauer should have maybe split it but no way Morneau deserved it over those 2).
And how exactly would steroids help Jeter in the field?

# 10 el_jefe061 @ 02/19/09 08:36 PM
Troy Tulowitzki? You can't be more wrong. Besides the fact that he was hurt for the first half of the year, he was arguably the best hitter in baseball after he came back from his second injury. Here's his second half numbers last year:

.327/.389/.469/.858 with 5 Home Runs. And here's a ridiculously torrid July: .418/.468/.582/1.050

Tulo could very well be the BEST shortstop in the National League next year.

# 11 Rod_Carew29 @ 02/19/09 08:58 PM
Honestly? EVERYONES!

even something seemingly minute like the drag bunting attribute. MOST players NEVER even try to drop one, but EVERY PLAYER in the game has something for that attribute. Even if it's 20 clicks' worth, removing it, WILL matter in the final analysis of how high a rating will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

# 12 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/19/09 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_Carew29
Honestly? EVERYONES!

even something seemingly minute like the drag bunting attribute. MOST players NEVER even try to drop one, but EVERY PLAYER in the game has something for that attribute. Even if it's 20 clicks' worth, removing it, WILL matter in the final analysis of how high a rating will be.

This man speaks the truth.

# 13 Jason_19 @ 02/19/09 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_Carew29
Honestly? EVERYONES!

I couldn't agree more.

# 14 Senor_Herbatron @ 02/19/09 11:13 PM
Very nice article.

# 15 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/19/09 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
I think this is a loaded question because no matter you you state to back your argument up, there are just as many out there to crush the argument. I think the biggest example is Mariano Rivera.

He's a guy who throws only one pitch and has been around or 12 years now. By all accords, he should be dropping off in ability quite rapidly right now. Yet last year, he was the best he's ever been. It's INCREDIBLY difficult to predict if guys are going to be better or worse from year to year. It's something that I don't envy at ALL the guys at SCEA for having to try and predict/reproduce.
Exactly.

# 16 stefangrey @ 02/20/09 01:14 AM
Rollins said today in the Philadelphia Daily News that the ankle injury bothered him all year and that he commented about it to Prince Fielder in the playoffs. Apparently it was all scar tissue tearing up.

# 17 elTodd @ 02/20/09 01:35 AM
I don't think its fair to drop a guy's ratings substantially if he was hurt for the majority of the season. His numbers are obviously going to be below his norm, and when and if he does play, the injury will still be lingering. Basically, you wouldn't be judging him based on his entire ability.

# 18 BatsareBugs @ 02/20/09 03:18 AM
Andruw Jones
Josh Bard
Michael Barrett
Carlos Pena
Reggie Stocker

# 19 JoeRyan33 @ 02/20/09 03:41 AM
A-Roid. Now that everyone has their eyes on him, he might have to think twice before he injects himself. Expect his form to slide considerably.

# 20 brunnoce @ 02/20/09 07:15 AM
good article!
h.street should get his stats droped a bit too.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.