Home
Legends Of Wrestlemania News Post

WWE(R) Legends of WrestleMania(R) Playable Demo Now Available for Download via Xbox LIVE(R) Marketplace and PlayStation(R)Network

New World Wrestling Entertainment(R) Videogame Property Offers Consumers Game Sample Prior to March Launch

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 5, 2009-- THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAKK) today announced the WWE® Legends of WrestleMania® playable demo is now available for free download via Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, as well as PlayStation®Network for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The playable demo will allow players to participate in an exhibition match with Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and Bobby “the Brain” Heenan using the WrestleMania III arena. Players can also watch a highlight reel of Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock from WrestleMania XV before completing in-ring objectives to faithfully relive their historic match. WWE Legends of WrestleMania is scheduled for release on March 24, 2009 for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system.

“Our playable demo for WWE Legends of WrestleMania will allow consumers to embrace the game’s unique look and feel in several ways prior to our scheduled launch on March 24,” said Scott Guthrie, executive vice president, publishing, THQ. “We look forward to seeing how our fans will relive, rewrite, and redefine WWE history with this brand new videogame experience.”
“As we approach launch, we are pleased to offer a free downloadable demo for WWE Legends of WrestleMania,” said Nelo Lucich, senior vice president of interactive, JAKKS Pacific. “The game’s incredible roster and key features are certain to attract a wide audience.”

WWE Legends Of Wrestlemania screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: WWE Legends Of WrestlemaniaReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
WWE Legends Of Wrestlemania Videos
Member Comments
# 61 mgoblue @ 03/08/09 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I didnt play this demo but it does make me nervous that the UFC game is going to suck...
Wow, um this has absolutely nothing to do with the UFC game, I wouldn't be worried one bit. Every hands on impression of that game has been great, whereas this was known to be limited control wise and more arcade-based...

I personally cannot act all shocked and appalled, because this is exactly what THQ wanted to deliver...They wanted a basic, few button wrestling game without tons of depth or difficulty. I knew when I read about this that everyone here would be disappointed...if you feel the SvR series doesn't have much long term appeal I would definitely skip this...

# 62 vernond @ 03/09/09 02:26 AM
There is a hilarious video on youtube called "hitler rants about legends of wrestlemania controls". It's f'n funny. I'm not going to put the link up because there's a slur at the very end, which i'm not promoting but the rest of the video is funny looks like it's from Valkeyrie maybe?

# 63 johnprestonevans @ 03/09/09 11:28 AM
This demo was aweful. It was a very poor port of every other recent wrestling game with the oldschool favorites skinned overtop. The button mashing, poor camera work, lazy commentary and glossy graphics - it just felt like an old 80's arcade smash and grab. I was easily backdropping Andre from the get go. (The WHOLE point of Wrestlemania III was the buildup to Hogan finally being able to lift and slam The Giant). I felt like i was throwing Tito Santana around. Lame.

The "hints" were annoying. Controls are sluggish. If it wasnt for the nostalgic wrestlers I would have spent even less than the 5 minutes I did on this game. This was an immediate catch and release for me.

# 64 XiaNaphryz @ 03/09/09 01:23 PM
My initial reaction to the demo was lukewarm at best, but after several matches, getting comfortable with the controls, and not getting into the mindset of playing a more realistic wrestling game but more of an arcade game (which is pretty much the point of this title to being with), I really started to enjoy this. Also much more enjoyable playing with another person once they learn the controls as well. This has moved to a buy for me, even though I can't stand the SvR series.

Now if only the demo saved preferences so you didn't always have to disable Hints every time you started it up.

# 65 SmashMan @ 03/09/09 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernond
Anyone know what the adressess are like in the UK? Trying to create a UK account for ps3. Are they basically the same as in the states? Like

1234 Mockingbird Lane
Anytown, State Zip
Mine was 1234 England Road with a postal code of 8675309. So yeah, it'll accept pretty much anything you throw at it.

Demo was...okay. Someone hit the nail on the head when they said it feels like half the time I'm watching the game instead of playing it. I still haven't been able to willingly irish whip anyone (but a few accidental whips have occurred) and I wish that even if limited, they'd have a slightly larger move set.

That being said, my main reason for purchase is nostalgia, and on that front, they seem to have delivered. I still wish some game would get my beloved Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena in a game, but no luck on that one.

# 66 stephensonmc @ 03/09/09 02:23 PM
Really didn't expect to like it after I saw some videos on the gameplay.

After playing the demo, I'm going to purchase it. The nostalgia combined with the "relive" mode just captures your 12 yr old self.

I do think the chain system is a little bit overdone (things happening at wrong times), and I would like a little more control over my character than this game allows, but it's an average game that capitalizes on your childhood memories.

# 67 TimmeH @ 03/09/09 03:03 PM
I think too many people have just gotten so used to the SVR gameplay that they're finding it hard to adjust. It seems to be the same thing from most people who like the game, "At first I didn't like it, it's really different, but after a few games of learning the controls, it's actually very fun."

I know it's an "arcade" game, but IMO, when playing it, it feels more like what we see on Raw than SVR ever was. The action is back and forth, you can feel the momentum turning the match, etc.

It has it's flaws. Interaction outside the ring is lame. The lack of rope breaks is inexcusable. The RTE doesn't flow from one move to the next well. But for the most part, it doesn't take too much fun away from the game, it's stuff I can overlook. It is the first game in the series, afterall. It takes most sports games three years after implementing a new engine to really make a complete game.

I think RTE is a great direction for SIM wrestling games. Sure, it may take a LITTLE control out of the users hands, but at the same time, I think linking moves together like that just feels natural like a real match. It needs to be implemented a little better, but I think it's a step in the right direction. Whereas in SVR, you just do random MOVES~ with no continuity.

I still feel as if this game is a first day buy.

Oh, and for those complaining about Hulk being able to lift Andre...I'm pretty sure SVR got rid of the weight system as well. They tried it for a couple years and could never get it right.

# 68 utexas @ 03/09/09 04:01 PM
I actually enjoyed the demo. I will purchase this day 1, and I haven't bought a wrestling game since n64 days.

# 69 sportznut02 @ 03/09/09 06:14 PM
sounds like most people are enjoying the demo.

Can`t wait for Thursday to actually get to try it out on my PS3.

# 70 sportznut02 @ 03/09/09 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Is the demo actually on the PSN store on Thursday because I read somewhere it was next week.
i`m sorry i meant it was coming out this thursday

# 71 vernond @ 03/09/09 10:52 PM
The game is somewhat fun, a little better than i thought it would be. The game play is kind of jerky. Does anyone elses screen shake or the color go funny when you hit a guy? I'm playing on the ps3. It's definitely something i'm going to want to buy cause it seems like it'd be real fun over a weekend but I don't know if the replay value is going to be there for the game. The demo is really easy. I'm sure i'll end up with it anyway.

# 72 GnarlyKing @ 03/10/09 04:52 PM
The chains at least on finishers seems to vary by wrestler. Hogan's actually flows pretty well, but Austin's does not. I haven't used Andre's yet and you can't play as The Rock in the demo so I haven't seen his yet. I agree that some of the chain sequences look pretty weird, but honestly it doesn't bother me too much. On most of those parts, the window to press the button is so small that I'm not too focused on the animations.

# 73 lasthour @ 03/10/09 04:58 PM
If you look at it as in wanting it to be SvR then do not bother. This is not the other game period. The animations in my opinion give the game a good presentation. It is more of a highlight of your special than the screen CRACKING on the other game.

The vibe I get from the matches feel epic also.

Most people I see complaining about the game are complaining about character build, not being able to spam the run button?, and the new feel of the game. I usually do not even play wrestling games because they went the Madden route long ago, but this one has peaked my interest and will be a must buy amongst the other wrestling games.

Give the game a chance before passing judgment from a YOUTUBE video.

# 74 fpac @ 03/10/09 05:04 PM
I enjoyed the demo. Not the greatest wrestling game of all time or anything, but IMO it's fun. I'm not sure if I'll be buying it or not yet though.

# 75 oldskoolmaddenfanz27 @ 03/10/09 05:20 PM
I found it to be awful, unplayable, clumsy, and not resembling what wrestling looks like whatsoever. This was a guarenteed purchase for me, but thanks to the demo, I can save my money.

# 76 oldskoolmaddenfanz27 @ 03/10/09 05:22 PM
Quote:
Ok I'm still waiting for the PS3 demo sometime this year so I have yet to play it but there was a youtube video of Hogan\Bossman and the ending sequence (I guess these chain sequences) was HORRIBLE and I mean gamekiller horrible. I mean like you must be insane to waste money on this horrible.

The animations are all ****ed up. Hogan gets Bossman in a sleeper and then the next scene Bossman's on the ground .

Then Bossman does his sequence and it's just a herky jerky set of animations that aren't fluid and it seems that with every successive animation they cut out 5 seconds and the wrestler is not even in the same spot. There is no continuity whatsoever. How hard can that be to implement? At least make it fluid if you're gonna use cutscenes as finishers. I would get no satisfaction of hitting my finisher if it's just a mishmash of illogical and sloppy scenes. If SF4 can do it right then so can this game.

I know it's arcady but at least make it flow like it's supposed to. Is it like this in the demo too? Because if it is then I question anybody's sanity who would spend $60 on crap like that when the most important part of the game (finisiher) is just a cluster ****. What a letdown.

If I'm overrreacting it's because I've been waiting for a Legends game for so long and I think many are ignoring this huge flaw (I haven't even seen it mentioned yet) because of the nostaglia factor. If the newest SVR game had this kind of Atari like animations there would be an uproar but we see legends and all is forgiven.
It plays exactly how it looks on the youtube videos. I had those hopes as well but they were dashed.

# 77 TimmeH @ 03/11/09 01:19 AM
Quote:
Ok I'm still waiting for the PS3 demo sometime this year so I have yet to play it but there was a youtube video of Hogan\Bossman and the ending sequence (I guess these chain sequences) was HORRIBLE and I mean gamekiller horrible. I mean like you must be insane to waste money on this horrible.

The animations are all ****ed up. Hogan gets Bossman in a sleeper and then the next scene Bossman's on the ground .

Then Bossman does his sequence and it's just a herky jerky set of animations that aren't fluid and it seems that with every successive animation they cut out 5 seconds and the wrestler is not even in the same spot. There is no continuity whatsoever. How hard can that be to implement? At least make it fluid if you're gonna use cutscenes as finishers. I would get no satisfaction of hitting my finisher if it's just a mishmash of illogical and sloppy scenes. If SF4 can do it right then so can this game.

I know it's arcady but at least make it flow like it's supposed to. Is it like this in the demo too? Because if it is then I question anybody's sanity who would spend $60 on crap like that when the most important part of the game (finisiher) is just a cluster ****. What a letdown.

If I'm overrreacting it's because I've been waiting for a Legends game for so long and I think many are ignoring this huge flaw (I haven't even seen it mentioned yet) because of the nostaglia factor. If the newest SVR game had this kind of Atari like animations there would be an uproar but we see legends and all is forgiven.
Yes, the finishers are a bit different. You go through the RTE motions, with each one being a signature move. They don't flow really well. But I can handle using my imagination to fast forward the skips in action. Honestly, I like the way finishers are handled in this game more than SVR, the RTE makes it hard to actually accomplish the finisher, as it should be. I just wish they would have made the moves link better.

You definitely need to play this game with an open mind

# 78 TimmeH @ 03/11/09 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyKing
you can't play as The Rock in the demo so I haven't seen his yet.
Rock's is actually pretty cool. You get the signature Rocky punch, followed by a spinebuster into the Most Electrifying Move in Sports Entertainment.

# 79 DJ @ 03/11/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmeH
Yes, the finishers are a bit different. You go through the RTE motions, with each one being a signature move. They don't flow really well. But I can handle using my imagination to fast forward the skips in action. Honestly, I like the way finishers are handled in this game more than SVR, the RTE makes it hard to actually accomplish the finisher, as it should be. I just wish they would have made the moves link better.

You definitely need to play this game with an open mind
Agreed. I like that this game is trying something different. Is it perfect? No. But it's fresh and changes the way you've typically played a wrestling game. I never came close to losing a 1-on-1 match in the SvR series, even on the highest difficulty. That's not fun to me. This game might not be that challenging, either, but at least they make you work for the victory and try new things along the way.

The nostalgia factor is great and the pre-match video packages are going to be awesome if the Rock-Austin one from the Demo is any indication.

# 80 lasthour @ 03/11/09 12:54 PM
**So if LOW wants to be arcade like they should keep it in that vein totally by seeing the move immediately as you pull it off.**

You mean like SvR? Are you serious?

Its a wrestling game with signature moves pulled via quick-time events. I personally think that this is awesome. It is not supposed to play in real time like SvR, etc. It is different, but not broken

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.