Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

Hey guys my name is Russell Kiniry and I'm one of the Designers on NCAA Football 10. I work in (and spend my free time in) game-play and Dynasty.

Going to cut right too it... this week’s blog (which I'm wrapping up now) pertains to game-play. So your concerns are being heard.

Another touchy topic right now: The screen shots from last week’s blog. They were bad; no getting around that... the goal was to show some extreme angles of the camera (not game-play). The offense line that Greg had running at the time was not even close to what the game represents. I actually plan on addressing this a little tonight on insideblog.easports.com (I’ll edit this post when it goes live as long as I’m allowed to post links ).

Really I just hope I can help clear up some of the misconceptions we have this year with features/additions we've already talked about.

-Russ

Edit: Here is the link to the Pocket Blog.

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 sportzbro @ 03/26/09 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
99% sure we're getting some sort of accelerated clock. It was brought up by Greg on the NCAA team months ago when addressing the length of games.
I've seen a lot of people talk about this feature..but I don't really understand fully how you guys want it used in the game. Could someone explain please?

# 122 Potatoes002 @ 03/26/09 07:02 PM
In old madden and ncaa this was a feature where the clock ran at a very fast rate. About 99% of us dont run the clock down under 5 sec. each play so the cloack will advance almost like we have even though we havnt. (sorry if you dont follow) The computer takes a while with the ball so the clock is ran down faster where as with us the clock isnt ran down as much.... So in other words we get through games at about the same rate (10-15 min with accerated clock=5-7 min regular quarters) but the stats are more realistic compared to a normal game and our stats compare to the cpu's.

# 123 sportzbro @ 03/26/09 07:05 PM
alright, thanks..that kind of what I thought it was.

# 124 GoToledo @ 03/26/09 07:46 PM
I was just about to ask about an accelerated clock. Glad to see it is a concern for others as well.

# 125 marcoyk @ 03/26/09 09:23 PM
will NCAA have the same new ratings like madden will have???
please say yes!

# 126 ODogg @ 03/26/09 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoyk
will NCAA have the same new ratings like madden will have???
please say yes!
no, read back in the thread

# 127 sportzbro @ 03/27/09 02:17 AM
K I have few others I've thought of...none are life threatening in terms of gameplay but still kind of annoying to see.

-Celebrations

As soon as the human controlled player crosses the goal line, the other players on the team will simply start walking toward the bench with zero emotion. The same thing happens with the CPU team.

Could you somehow make teammates be more excited or emotional when they score, instead of just walking away-possibly continue jogging into the endzone then patting each other on the helmet, pads, whatever (players are pratically always given some kind of "congrats" when they score). I do realize if you press Y (360) your player will celebrate...but rarely with other teammates...and that animation sucks anyway. Could it be set so a celebration would just happen and not have to press the button?

Also should have different levels of excitement. For example an early game score would be just a small, basic animation, but a clenching TD late in the game though would trigger a bunch of teammates going nuts (not Georgia style, but I think you know what I mean). I don't know how far you could take this, but something different is needed.

This would be the type of celebration you for just a regular ole touchdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arbtabW0s8Y (notice how only a couple guys come over)

This would be a celebration for a huge play, game winning/clenching TD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIFqDVUX6XU (notice most of the players going to the endzone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaN_c...eature=related (this being the ultimate obviously)

-Convoy Blocking & Celebration

This is what happened in 09 & needs to be tweaked. - you would have a break away play and there's a teammate or two running with you, and his arms are usually up. But they would almost immediately turn around oddly to pick up a block on a player that has no chance of even catching the ball carrier. They wouldn't continue down the field to the endzone with you ever.

-Diving Into the Endzone

Small thing also, but the motion the player makes when they dive. First the low super man like dive. Its horrible looking & you can't be hit really while in the animation going into the endzone...collision problems. If you have even the smallest amount of daylight and you dive, you get the yards because the defenders will stay upright, and basically run over/in to you not effecting your momentum at all.

Second - the higher dive that happens usually when you are close to the pylons. It looks and feels really goofy. Basically the player jumps and floats unnaturally, and you can basically steer them mid air. This type of jump occurs even when there are no defenders to jump over. And when there are defenders and the ball carrier leaps, make him hittable (something like the animation when a runner tries to leap over the lines, but gets stopped mid air by a line backer).

When close to the front corners of the endzone, they should be programed to reach for the goal line or pylon in that situation under 3 conditions:

1. If you are trying to turn the corner, but have decreasing room to score.

2. You are within a pre-determined proximity to the front corner of the endzone/pylon.

3. You actually hit the dive button at the correct moment.

-Kicking

Just thought I'd throw this in here while I was at it. Has the interface while in a game been changed (kicking meter). And have squib kicks returned?

Thoughts Russ?

# 128 deadlyCane @ 03/27/09 04:20 AM
Potatoes thanks for the explanation on the accelerated clock. A question I have for those who want this: doesn't that give you less time to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage or am I missing something here?

# 129 countryboy @ 03/27/09 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
tropiies for the ps3...

Anybody?
If I'm not mistaken, every game that releases now has to have trophy support. I can't find a link, but I'm sure thats the case nowadays.

# 130 concretefire @ 03/27/09 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
So I'm going to try and cover your questions by explaining what our goals are on the line... Mainly because the line play is still a work in progress and not everything is functioning correctly yet.

1. The D-Line has to matter, blitzing should not be the only way to get pressure

What I mean is simply we want the defensive line to be able to make an impact on the running and passing game, guys should be able to get off blocks and make plays.

2. Higher rated players should dominate (when faced up against lower talent) on both sides of the ball

Ratings need to be able to drive the action, while I don't want to create a situation where a 90+ DE beats a 75 OT 100% of the time, you should be scared that every play that DE can be in the backfield.

Also I'm going to have to double check but I'm pretty sure most of the huge impact blocks no longer play for inteior linemen. It is sort of silly a 280 pound player gets pushed back in the air 3 yards. But they still can be cut blocked, so you will see some D-Linemen on the ground.

-Russ
I'm pretty sure a lot guys who just read that are going piss themselves, me included. Let's hope it happens.

# 131 sinc79 @ 03/27/09 02:46 PM
It looks like this chat may be over, but my big gripe is how un-natural the loose jersey sleeves look. It just looks really bulky.

I've tried to update players to the tight sleeves, but as you go in a dynasty it seems like more and more players have the bulky sleeves. An example is the entire Oklahoma team, even the DB's. I'm sorry but they just don't look cool.

I know it's probably too late to re-design the sleeves, but could you give us an option to update an entire team at once?

# 132 marcoyk @ 03/27/09 08:10 PM
i know this is off topic but please make it possible for the user to pick pants and tops separately.
this year UNC wore carolina blue top with white pants, white on white, white top with carolina blue pants, white top with dark blue pants, and a dark blue top on white pants.
I really want to be able to choose exactly what my guys are wearing.

# 133 jerryrice4949 @ 03/27/09 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
We've fixed the issue with the CPU recruiting a bunch of LTs when they need a RT. The problem is you are only recruiting Ts, and you don't know if they are left/right until you sign them. The depth chart logic puts the best player with that natural position (left or right), but the CPU never does position changes.

Now the CPU will do position changes if the backup on one side is better than the starter on the other side. Note, this does not actually happen during Position Changes in the offseason, so if you look at CPU teams before starting a new season, the change won't have happened yet.
Great info. But could you go a step further and say whether recruiting will be better for the CPU- ie... no more teams with 9 QBs when they need other positions all together. I am glad the depth chart logic has been addressed but the recruiting logic is bizarre.

# 134 PootieTang3198 @ 03/27/09 10:38 PM
I feel like a little kid on the christmas eve just waiting for this game man!!!
ok bad metaphor or what ever!

# 135 ODogg @ 03/27/09 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PootieTang3198
I feel like a little kid on the christmas eve just waiting for this game man!!!
ok bad metaphor or what ever!
dude, don't get your hopes up, seriously. look for a lot of "well we didn't have time to get that in this year but maybe next year" to start appearing here in june..

# 136 Rivers17ncsu @ 03/27/09 11:16 PM
I enjoyed 09 alot, I definitely played it tons and got my $60 worth so im pumped for 010.

09 had its issues of course, but they weren't so bad they ruined the game for me.

# 137 sportzbro @ 03/27/09 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers17ncsu
I enjoyed 09 alot, I definitely played it tons and got my $60 worth so im pumped for 010.

09 had its issues of course, but they weren't so bad they ruined the game for me.
Exactly.

# 138 stoncold32 @ 03/27/09 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers17ncsu

You can make that case for any game if you overlooked the issues hard enough. Plainly put, '09 was borderline terrible, and if it was not, they would not be fixing so many of the issues.

# 139 ODogg @ 03/27/09 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
You can make that case for any game if you overlooked the issues hard enough. Plainly put, '09 was borderline terrible, and if it was not, they would not be fixing so many of the issues.
Slow down there man, they are just saying they're fixing issues, until the game is out and they're actually fixed then you don't know what will end up actually being fixed.

# 140 Rivers17ncsu @ 03/28/09 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32

thing is im not trying to overlook the problems. You may think it was terrible, but I disagree. Only NCAA games ive had more fun playing than this one was 04 and 06.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.