Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers customization, plus a "behind the scenes" look at a design document.

Quote:
"Hello again Madden fans, we're back again with another weekly blog detailing some more behind-the-scenes exclusive content from the development team as we create Madden NFL 10. Last week was a very busy week with our president Peter Moore presenting the first screenshot [link] and our Art Director Mike Young going into some extreme detail in regards to the improvements and additions made in the shot [link]. This week we thought it would be a good idea to go deeper into an area that we know is very near and dear to the community - the topic of customization.

A typical trait of every game designer is that usually they are in love with their ideas. This is usually always a really good thing (assuming their ideas are good) because if you don't like an idea that you are designing or working on implementing, often you won't have the passion to get that "extra something" into the feature to make it special, or tune it 100% correctly, or make it really stand out. As you might expect, this can also be a major downside to a designer, as often times it is easy to get stuck thinking where you know (or think) you are right and you don't want to change that idea. It is so hard to not be defensive...after all, you put your blood sweat and tears into this feature! You worked til 3 am for a week putting in extra details and tuning it to perfection! How could anyone not feel the same way you do?!?!?"

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 KyGamerLT @ 03/31/09 11:24 AM
Will there be all madden games online? as a hardcore madden player I missed the all madden games when the ai is at it's best. On all pro you could take advantage of things more then you could on all madden.

# 162 rudyjuly2 @ 03/31/09 11:43 AM
I think a lot of this stuff is great. Different game speed options and sliders, cpu sliders, fatigue and injury sliders (usually too low at default) will all improve the game.

But I really have to disagree with Ian about the Global Special Teams sliders. EA ruined the kicking game imo when they went to analog kicking. It made it far too easy to kick overall and nearly impossible to miss on kicks when the ball is spotted in the middle of the hashes. Kick length has always been too long on default (at least for NCAA). If I think the cpu kickers are near perfect this year on default but hit 100% of my field goals, how am I supposed to finetune that? If you drop FG accuracy down to 0, the cpu may start to shank everything. Please separate the special teams sliders. This is the first bad decision I've read on Madden this year (my opinion of course). Better yet, allow us to use the old 3 button system for kicking. The results were SO much better.

Now that we are talking about the kicking game, it really doesn't make sense with how the game depicts field goal length. The arc we put on the kick does almost nothing but it should matter with respect to blocked kicks and lengths (mainly on the 50+ yard field goals). Furthermore, every kicker alive will never, ever be short on a kick inside of 45 yards so why does the power meter play such an important role? It should have a minimal effect on kicking (at most 10 yards from being bottomed out to being maxed out). The only real trick in kicking field goals is accuracy and just pushing up and down on the R-stick is terrible imo. At least add a drift to the accuracy arrow or do something to make it better (go back to the old way).

# 163 mdgoalie37 @ 03/31/09 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I think a lot of this stuff is great. Different game speed options and sliders, cpu sliders, fatigue and injury sliders (usually too low at default) will all improve the game.

But I really have to disagree with Ian about the Global Special Teams sliders. EA ruined the kicking game imo when they went to analog kicking. It made it far too easy to kick overall and nearly impossible to miss on kicks when the ball is spotted in the middle of the hashes. Kick length has always been too long on default (at least for NCAA). If I think the cpu kickers are near perfect this year on default but hit 100% of my field goals, how am I supposed to finetune that? If you drop FG accuracy down to 0, the cpu may start to shank everything. Please separate the special teams sliders. This is the first bad decision I've read on Madden this year (my opinion of course). Better yet, allow us to use the old 3 button system for kicking. The results were SO much better.

Now that we are talking about the kicking game, it really doesn't make sense with how the game depicts field goal length. The arc we put on the kick does almost nothing but it should matter with respect to blocked kicks and lengths (mainly on the 50+ yard field goals). Furthermore, every kicker alive will never, ever be short on a kick inside of 45 yards so why does the power meter play such an important role? It should have a minimal effect on kicking (at most 10 yards from being bottomed out to being maxed out). The only real trick in kicking field goals is accuracy and just pushing up and down on the R-stick is terrible imo. At least add a drift to the accuracy arrow or do something to make it better (go back to the old way).
I agree on the kicking, the ratings should matter more than the fact that I can hit 100% power and 100% accuracy with my eyes closed. To me this is a minor issue though as field goal kicking percentage is at an all time high right now.

# 164 KyGamerLT @ 03/31/09 11:52 AM
Yea fg's suck when you're playing in a tournament and the guy has the ball last. All he has to do is get it a little past the 50 and you might as well say it's a win or into overtime, but the ball was only moved so fast because of rocket catching.

# 165 RGiles36 @ 03/31/09 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
Whats the Presser?
Press Release. It's supposed to debut/release this week I think.

# 166 Golden28 @ 03/31/09 12:40 PM
Gamespeed Slider

Injury Slider

Accelerated clock

Fatigue Slider

Great blog. Very informative and intersesting and thanks for sharing your actual design notes.

Now let's just see what Phil has to say in his press release regarding 'high level features' and this will be a great week indeed.

# 167 TheWatcher @ 03/31/09 01:26 PM
Okay, I'm going to try my best to remember what I attempted to post here earlier, lol.

I think the fact that user customizations are getting attention is a clear sign that you guys are taking the feedback seriously. I'm really pumped about how far this can go.

Now of course I do have some comments/concerns:

*Celebration Hotspots: I gotta be honest... I'm not a fan of this at all and I was really hoping it would be gone entirely. The reason the celebration systems for FIFA and 2K Football have been so well-liked is because they allowed for the flow of (here comes that all important word) continuity. Those systems are seamless, and free/open. In FIFA, you're allowed to control when, where, and how you're going to celebrate regardless of where you stand. In 2K Football, the entire endzone is a hotspot. This is where you wanna be. Running around to hit a spot just to celebrate does not look like what we see on Sunday's.

More importantly, the camera properly captures the scoring player in those two game examples, whereas in Madden it's just not right at all. Madden 09's TD's were anticlimactic not only because of how we had to celebrate, but also because the camera stayed so far away and overhead from the scoring player. It made absolutely no sense. No matter what, the camera should never be far away from the scoring player like that. You've got to get down in there and spotlight. That's what we see on Sunday's, and it should have nothing to do with whether we get to a spot or not. The camera should be capturing the scoring player properly no matter what. A TD shouldn't anticlimactic, and the scoring player should not be treated like he's unimportant to the scene.

I'm not sure what happened when user celebrations were added this generation and what challenge may be preventing a needed fix, but the entire endzone needs to be a hotspot. The entire endzone. I can't imagine why this is being done any other way, but all I know is, this run-to-a-spot stuff just isn't doing it.

*Menu Music: I'm holding out hope for custom soundtracks. That's the only thing I care about involving music. Continue with the stuff you always do, that's fine, but we need to have custom tracks for in-game events. NCAA 09 had it and I was disappointed it didn't show up in Madden. I'm hoping that its absence has nothing to do with EA not wanting to somehow take attention off of the EA Trax label, but to that I say if EA is concerned with that what does that say about their confidence in the EA Trax? If they think they're putting out music people want to hear, then they should have nothing to worry about by having a custom soundtrack option.

*Video controls: I see no option for this. Sooooo many games have this now. I played a 360 Arcade game called "Feeding Frenzy" a kiddie game... guess what? It has video controls. FIFA, NBA Live, NHL, Fight Night... all EA Sports games... all have video controls. Madden is the only one left out. How come?

We need controls for color, brightness, contrast, tint, and filter settings. I'd also wish for a control to be able to choose the brightness and intensity of lighting, but I can settle for just the standard set I mentioned.

*Favorite Team: I'd like to see a "Random" or "All NFL" option. I'm sure I can't be the only football fanatic in the world who watches everybody and doesn't have a specific favorite team. For my type, this option would be perfect. I'd love to see the CPU randomly select team themes. Even those with a favorite team may like this because it will give the game a constant living/moving/fresh kind of personality, because as you start the game and move through menu's you never know what NFL Team or star you're going to see.

*One last thought: I see you have some things to turn on/off some indicators. I'd like to see a setting allowing us to turn on/off passing indicators. This could actually be made into a mini sim feature. What's more sim than a QB having to remember what routes his receivers are running?

I'd also like to see a settings to turn on/off all indicators. This simple little thing would allow a cleaner look for people making videos of Madden in action. Youtubers, and those who record Coach mode action would appreciate this the most. Also, there is potential there to make a mini feature of it.

# 168 drae2 @ 03/31/09 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
This was changed to be global in 09. I think this is actually a valid approach - the CPU still has error in all their kicks and power, so to make it so they can't kick as far seemed a little cheap. Obviously if the tuning is busted then that's a problem, but this was changed last year and it actually seems to be ok. If you guys have major complaints with it from 09, then let me know.

As for the penalty sliders, one of the patches in 09 DRASTICALLY improved their importance. Again though, if you guys have any specific feedback on those sliders not working to your liking, send me a PM.
Question: I noticed that on punt returns you can have a left return or an right return. How come this is not an option on kickoffs? And I think this has been the post blog so far. A LOT of the issues that people have been talking about here have been addressed, like game speed, etc, and yet some are still not satisfied. Considering this is March 31st and we have received all this info already...man, we should just appreciate the fact we are getting info this early. Peace.

# 169 greenegt @ 03/31/09 03:08 PM
Quote:
Kinda surprised few are caring about the injury and fatigue sliders...those have been requests for over 5 years I think.
I LOVE these. Hope they're in NCAA, as well. Thanks!!!

# 170 S1ARk5 @ 03/31/09 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
Im hoping the "high level" feature is

All new, ESPN style gameplay presentation. Complete with pregame, halftime and post game shows. Everything you see in an ESPN gameday presentation, see it in Madden 2010(i refuse to call it Madden 10).

Different style presentation for regular Sunday games, Monday night games, Playoff games and the Superbowl.
One can only hope and dream and maybe we will see that in Madden 2011 and above, but I doubt we will see it in Madden 2010. I hope Im wrong but I doubt it.

# 171 NYyankz225 @ 03/31/09 03:42 PM
Fatigue is going to be great. As mentioned earlier I hope it really has an effect on the default settings so that you can't have someone online constantly no huddle and do the same exact play. Great work.

# 172 NoFear @ 03/31/09 03:55 PM
Another good blog from Ian.

I was honestly expecting it to be about player customization though, would have been great to see some updates in that area.

# 173 NYG34 @ 03/31/09 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
Im hoping the "high level" feature is

All new, ESPN style gameplay presentation. Complete with pregame, halftime and post game shows. Everything you see in an ESPN gameday presentation, see it in Madden 2010(i refuse to call it Madden 10).

Different style presentation for regular Sunday games, Monday night games, Playoff games and the Superbowl.
Just to tell you i wish they had ESPN presentation but Ian said it wont be in the game. so were stuck with two crappy Commentators. same with the crowd they wont change it either in madden it sounds like im at liberty i wish they could change these. and IAN EVERY THING U SEE ON SUNDAY. how about ESPN presentation and Real Crowd noise. U SEE AND HEAR THAT ON SUNDAY.

# 174 Big_Mig_11 @ 03/31/09 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Okay, I'm going to try my best to remember what I attempted to post here earlier, lol.

I think the fact that user customizations are getting attention is a clear sign that you guys are taking the feedback seriously. I'm really pumped about how far this can go.

Now of course I do have some comments/concerns:

*Celebration Hotspots: I gotta be honest... I'm not a fan of this at all and I was really hoping it would be gone entirely. The reason the celebration systems for FIFA and 2K Football have been so well-liked is because they allowed for the flow of (here comes that all important word) continuity. Those systems are seamless, and free/open. In FIFA, you're allowed to control when, where, and how you're going to celebrate regardless of where you stand. In 2K Football, the entire endzone is a hotspot. This is where you wanna be. Running around to hit a spot just to celebrate does not look like what we see on Sunday's.

More importantly, the camera properly captures the scoring player in those two game examples, whereas in Madden it's just not right at all. Madden 09's TD's were anticlimactic not only because of how we had to celebrate, but also because the camera stayed so far away and overhead from the scoring player. It made absolutely no sense. No matter what, the camera should never be far away from the scoring player like that. You've got to get down in there and spotlight. That's what we see on Sunday's, and it should have nothing to do with whether we get to a spot or not. The camera should be capturing the scoring player properly no matter what. A TD shouldn't anticlimactic, and the scoring player should not be treated like he's unimportant to the scene.

I'm not sure what happened when user celebrations were added this generation and what challenge may be preventing a needed fix, but the entire endzone needs to be a hotspot. The entire endzone. I can't imagine why this is being done any other way, but all I know is, this run-to-a-spot stuff just isn't doing it.

*Menu Music: I'm holding out hope for custom soundtracks. That's the only thing I care about involving music. Continue with the stuff you always do, that's fine, but we need to have custom tracks for in-game events. NCAA 09 had it and I was disappointed it didn't show up in Madden. I'm hoping that its absence has nothing to do with EA not wanting to somehow take attention off of the EA Trax label, but to that I say if EA is concerned with that what does that say about their confidence in the EA Trax? If they think they're putting out music people want to hear, then they should have nothing to worry about by having a custom soundtrack option.

*Video controls: I see no option for this. Sooooo many games have this now. I played a 360 Arcade game called "Feeding Frenzy" a kiddie game... guess what? It has video controls. FIFA, NBA Live, NHL, Fight Night... all EA Sports games... all have video controls. Madden is the only one left out. How come?

We need controls for color, brightness, contrast, tint, and filter settings. I'd also wish for a control to be able to choose the brightness and intensity of lighting, but I can settle for just the standard set I mentioned.

*Favorite Team: I'd like to see a "Random" or "All NFL" option. I'm sure I can't be the only football fanatic in the world who watches everybody and doesn't have a specific favorite team. For my type, this option would be perfect. I'd love to see the CPU randomly select team themes. Even those with a favorite team may like this because it will give the game a constant living/moving/fresh kind of personality, because as you start the game and move through menu's you never know what NFL Team or star you're going to see.

*One last thought: I see you have some things to turn on/off some indicators. I'd like to see a setting allowing us to turn on/off passing indicators. This could actually be made into a mini sim feature. What's more sim than a QB having to remember what routes his receivers are running?

I'd also like to see a settings to turn on/off all indicators. This simple little thing would allow a cleaner look for people making videos of Madden in action. Youtubers, and those who record Coach mode action would appreciate this the most. Also, there is potential there to make a mini feature of it.
I agree that the running to a hotspot ruins the continuity, looks corny, and takes out the excitment of a celebration. However, I think they should not be gone entirely. I would like to see only on hotspot in the endzone and thats in front of the field goal posts. BC after Tony Gonzelez scores on a fade route, he DOES have to run to that area to dunk the ball. Also, keep the hotspots for Lambeau Field. But there should not be 3 in the endzone. I would prefer just one right down the middle....

# 175 djordan @ 03/31/09 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Press Release. It's supposed to debut/release this week I think.
Press release isn't going to be released this week my man.

# 176 RGiles36 @ 03/31/09 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Press release isn't going to be released this week my man.
According to the below, it will:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Sorry, no. Miscommunication here.

There will be a press release this week that covers high level features, ship date, and platforms. NCAA had a similar press release a few weeks ago when Season Showdown was announced.

The cover announcement is separate and will occur later in April.

Oh yeah, Ian will have his blog up shortly. It's completely unrelated to the press release so it's like a double-whammy of info this week.

Hope this helps.

Phil

# 177 TheWatcher @ 03/31/09 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Mig_11
I agree that the running to a hotspot ruins the continuity, looks corny, and takes out the excitment of a celebration. However, I think they should not be gone entirely. I would like to see only on hotspot in the endzone and thats in front of the field goal posts. BC after Tony Gonzelez scores on a fade route, he DOES have to run to that area to dunk the ball. Also, keep the hotspots for Lambeau Field. But there should not be 3 in the endzone. I would prefer just one right down the middle....
I don't see why the goalpost stuff can't just be intuitive. You score and keep running towards it, camera changes and you time how you complete the sequence.

As for the Lambeau stuff and anything dealing with player-fan interaction, this needs a complete overhaul. It just wasn't big enough last year. Something like this is more ideal. Something where once you cross the back of the endzone, you go into a large full screen shot like this:

# 178 humblerumbler @ 03/31/09 05:22 PM
When I hear "customization" I think player editing
which has been piss poor for years,team editing I like to keep up with offseason team moves from the main menu however theres not nearly enough room in the free agent pool to do all the moves and it just gets frustrating trying to release Shawn Springs from the Redskins like happened in real life but being prevented because the free agent pool is "full". Why is there not more room?
When I think of customazation I also think of having depth charts based on scheme, schemes based on who the coordinaters are not the head coach.
thats just my thoughts.

# 179 mikeveli20 @ 03/31/09 07:40 PM
Quote:
Kinda surprised few are caring about the injury and fatigue sliders...those have been requests for over 5 years I think.
I'm very happy about these sliders. Is there any chance the injury slider can be split into Injury Frequency and Injury Severity? That would be cool.

# 180 humblerumbler @ 03/31/09 07:42 PM
yes custom controls are a MUST!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.