Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The new Madden NFL 10 blog is online, taking a deeper look into pass blocking.

Quote:
"Hello Madden faithful - it's Monday, and it’s time for another blog! This week we'll be following up a little bit on the last PRO-TAK blog [link]. We covered gang tackling in detail last time, so for this blog we thought we’d dig a little deeper on our pass blocking, and also mention how PRO-TAK’s dynamic steering technology will help take our blocking a little bit farther into that next level that we know we need to hit of realism. At the top of nearly every community wish list for the past 3+ years has been OL/DL interaction…so this year we’re proud to say we’ve spent a really good amount of time improving this area, and we’ve also built a strong foundation that we can continue to add on to in the future."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Sauk @ 05/11/09 05:44 PM
oh I agree. A defensive lineman unless he reads run will never run right into an offensive lineman especially a edge guy. He will work to a shoulder and do his "branching" from there. In those videos he just runs right at him and hand fights him.

That is not how it works unless it is a run wherehe will then usually play a two gap or pick a side and take away some gap

# 22 Captain Obvious @ 05/11/09 05:47 PM
beautiful. romo got owned rofl. i really like the animations, looks very life like. well done. and to answer someones question about ratings. look at the last clip with procedual steering. thats an elite pass rusher, he completely owns that tackle. the one on the left is the tackle doing a great job keeping the DE at bay.

damn Ian, this brings a tear to my eye. tear of joy

edit: now that you guys mention it, it seems they go straight for the tackle then start to run the arc. guys like freeney fire at the outside shoulder and 'get small' and dip under the tackle to get around him. i mean sometimes the tackle doesnt even touch him. Elite pass rushers dip and get their arm underneath the tackle and go around.

but they did show 3-4 DE's who cant really dip their shoulders as quickly like a freeney or merriman can...

# 23 lolfalconsbeatu @ 05/11/09 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
you made an account to post this
lol I was thinking the same thing...but any news is really good news...

Cant wait for gameplay blog when Ian talks about Rocket Catching Hopefully...

Great Job Ian!

# 24 MrSkagTrendy @ 05/11/09 05:51 PM
look so good!

# 25 dougdeuce @ 05/11/09 05:52 PM
so next week is injury then? Ian said he wrote two blogs... or are we getting a scooby snack again sometime this week? I would love to read the injury blog also since you've put so much effort into making it.

# 26 adembroski @ 05/11/09 05:52 PM
Dang it, Ian, I thought you were gonna open the flood gates on this one, man. I was hoping we could finally let loose the hounds on blocking.

# 27 MrNFL_FanIQ @ 05/11/09 05:52 PM
Excellent to see the Line play getting some love.

# 28 will12203 @ 05/11/09 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
oh I agree. A defensive lineman unless he reads run will never run right into an offensive lineman especially a edge guy. He will work to a shoulder and do his "branching" from there. In those videos he just runs right at him and hand fights him.

That is not how it works unless it is a run wherehe will then usually play a two gap or pick a side and take away some gap

very good point

# 29 lolfalconsbeatu @ 05/11/09 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
Excellent to see the Line play getting some love.
This is true....

When I first saw the title..I was like aww man..but its something that really needed it be addressed...

Great Job Ian

# 30 bxgoods @ 05/11/09 05:54 PM
Defensive Lineman do rush right into the Offensive Lineman on pass plays unless they know its a pass, which is rarely. They don't just rush on the outside all the time, because they will lose containment if its a run to their side.

# 31 Clarke_311 @ 05/11/09 05:56 PM
Loves who they working to make OL/DL interactin. In real football, the battle in the trenches is so important, it can determine who wins or loses.

# 32 Pakeege10 @ 05/11/09 05:57 PM
I like how they used the 2k clip example...I guess they are getting tired of the 2k crap...Nice!!!

# 33 Americas Team1 @ 05/11/09 05:57 PM
One thing I noticed was that Spears could have tryed to strip the ball from the QB on the last two plays.I think you should have to press RB or LB to try and swipe at the ball in that kind of situation.Other than that it was great.

# 34 lolfalconsbeatu @ 05/11/09 05:58 PM
Maybe this will solve the issue with the Nickel 1-5-5 defensive formation how ppl can use it as a base defense to defend both pass/run.

# 35 Big_Mig_11 @ 05/11/09 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Dang it, Ian, I thought you were gonna open the flood gates on this one, man. I was hoping we could finally let loose the hounds on blocking.
I agree. However, I now have an understanding on how a pocket can form in the game...

# 36 jWILL253 @ 05/11/09 06:00 PM
I think everyone has it confused: Only a defensive end wants to avoid his blocker, if he can. A defensive tackle's job is to go straight at offensive linemen, so the linebackers can attack the ball carrier...

# 37 Sauk @ 05/11/09 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
Defensive Lineman do rush right into the Offensive Lineman on pass plays unless they know its a pass, which is rarely. They don't just rush on the outside all the time, because they will lose containment if its a run to their side.
A defensive lineman will never give up his entire body to an offensive lineman like you saw in those videos. You might as well lay down on the ground with a white flag waving and saying I give up.

It just does not happen. You always play half the man

# 38 Captain Obvious @ 05/11/09 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
I think everyone has it confused: Only a defensive end wants to avoid his blocker, if he can. A defensive tackle's job is to go straight at offensive linemen, so the linebackers can attack the ball carrier...
no you're confused. the vidoes werent showing DT's they were showing 3-4 ends. besides like i said we wont see those guys running the arc, they would want to use their strength to beat their guy. and again, watch the last vid with procedural steering part, the tackle dips under his guy and beats him. without prcedural steering the tackle holds him at bay. if we had a video of guys like osi or mathis and freeney im sure we woulda seen it plain as day. imo the right guys werent chosen to show off the video.

# 39 Deegeezy @ 05/11/09 06:03 PM
Quote:

Depends on the scheme. A 3-technique rusher doesn't always try to engage. Typically the 2-technique tackle in a 4-3 and a 0-technique tackle in a 3-4 do. The 5-technique DEs in a 3-4 do as well.

# 40 lolfalconsbeatu @ 05/11/09 06:03 PM
Quote:
Thats true is some cases...but not most.

Have you ever heard the saying "it starts up front"

Teams like Tennessee last year with Albert Haynesworth did not have to totally rely on blitzing to get sacks like most teams have to.

If your DTs can engage, and get past the OTs that team has a bonus.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.