Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

If you are like me and like to use a variety of teams and offenses here is a run down of some teams for you to try out when you get the game.

In no particular order:

Florida Atlantic- If you like to pass FAU is a team you should check out. A spread team who is lead by their star QB Rusty Smith. Smith is a 6'5 pocket passer with a big arm. A legit NFL prospect with prototype skills. While FAU does not have much of a run game, they do have solid receivers with decent speed. This is a team I used a lot last year, even online. I had a lot of success with Rusty Smith at the helm. He is only gonna be better this year so that should be fun. The defense is average across the board but they have good speed for a small school (Florida speed i guess).

Buffalo- They were once the laughing stock of the NCAA. Last year they were MAC Champions. They didn't lose much from that team, but they did lose their starting QB Drew Willy who was an integral part of their success. They do however return three stars. RB James Starks, WR Naaman Roosevelt, and S Devonte Shannon. James Starks is a big RB with decent speed, hands, and power. Naaman Roosevelt is a big play threat who will have an impact no matter who is throwing him the ball. And Devonte Shannon is not your typical ball hawking safety, but rather he's not afraid to stick his nose in run support. If their QB has the ability to manage the game, they will be a solid solid sleeper.

Western Michigan- A surprise team last year, the Broncos were a team that I won a few games with online. They are lead on offense by NFL prospect Tim Hiller who stands at 6'5 230. Another pocket passer with a big arm and accuracy. WMU, unlike FAU, has a capable RB for their spread attack in Brandon West. A small, quick back who is a big play threat and capable receiver out of the backfield. Their receivers are average. Last year, their secondary held the defense together. They lost the entire secondary including second round pick Louis Delmas, but do get Miami transfer Doug Wiggins. If you like to air it out, WMU is a team to try out because of their QB Hiller.

Central Michigan- Do I really need to give reasons why to use CMU? Look no further than Heisman hopeful Dan LeFevour. LeFevour is a dual threat QB who is good for 3,000 passing and another 1,000 rushing a season. He's a poor man's Tebow who can single handedly take over a game. No experienced RB's returned, but the Chippewas boast two very good receivers who couldn't be anymore different. Bryan Anderson is a 6'5 possession receiver and a Antonio Brown is 5'10 stick of dynamite. Once again, another spread team who runs the option while also airing it out. LeFevour is a must use. He can do it all.

Navy- No matter what year it is, Navy is a must use just for the offense. They basically lost their entire offense, but they just keep plugging guys into that offense and it works.

Nevada- The "Pack" present a unique offense. If your tired of playing a tradition I-formation power running game, give Nevada a try. They are one of the elite rushing teams in the country. They are lead by their dual threat QB Colin Kaepernick. He stands 6'6 but don't let that fool you. He uses those long strides to out run defenders on his way to the endzone. He's not a bad passer either. They have two very good RB's who are more pounders than speedsters. RB Vai Taua is a fireplug who burst onto the scene last year for 1500 yards. The man who got hurt giving Taua an opportunity, Luke Lippincott was an underrated star in the pistol before his injury. Kaepernick, Taua, and Lippincott offer a unique rushing attack to try.

Memphis- If Memphis is rated correctly, they should be a solid team to compete with. They are loaded at the skill positions with big school transfers. Their QB Arkleon Hall is athletic and has a big time arm. Behind him is RB Curtis Steele who averaged 5.5 yards a carry last year. Spelling him is Wiconsin transfer Lance Smith who is a burner and big time gamebreaking threat. Now to the receivers. I don't think there is a bigger group of receivers in CFB. Their #1 target is Duke Calhoun who has some serious skills. 6'4 with 4.3 speed. Next to him is 6'8...yes 6'8 Carlos Singelton. I know I'm gonna give Memphis a try just for him. Add to that Miami transfer Jermaine McKenzie at 6'3 and that is some serious size. Oh I almost forgot another Miami transfer, 6'5 TE DajLeon Farr who was a big time recruit 4 years ago. Interesting group of players to say the least.

Southern Miss- As is a common theme amongst these teams, talent at the skills positions is what makes Southern Miss attractive. QB Austin Davis is a young dual threat QB. RB Damion Fletcher is the key to the offense. Certainly not the biggest guy at 5'10 177, Fletcher is quick and explosive and has the ability to take it to the house at any moment. The Golden Eagles also boast a talented group of WR's lead by Super Soph 6'6 DeAndre Brown. This kid is a special talent who is in the same category as Julio Jones and AJ Green. He should be a CB's worst nightmare.

SMU- Ok maybe they are a year or two away, but this is an extremely young team who is worth a look. If you were a fan of all those air it out Hawaii teams, well this is the same June Jones team. A nice dynasty team if you want a challenge.

Tulsa- They lost some key players from a top 25 team last year, but this is a high power offense who just happens to have one of my favorite players- 6'3 230 lb FB/HB/TE Charles Clay. This guy is a jack of all trades. He can run and is one of the best receivers out of the backfield to boot. They also have the diminutive 5'8 Damarius Johnson who just makes plays.

Houston- To say this is a pass happy team is an understatement. Star QB Case Keenum threw for over 5,000 yards 44 TD's and just 11 INTs. Yes, the next "star" QB in the long line of great college QB's from Houston. Behind him is the reigning CUSA Freshman POY Bryce Beall who averaged over 6 yards per carry.

Baylor- Robert Griffin III. Enough Said.

I hope you guys like my input and try out some of these teams. Feel free to add to it or discuss anything I may have missed.

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 gator3guy @ 07/12/09 08:57 PM
I find that sometimes when I choose a lower ranked team, that my opponent uses a team that is good but not elite. Most times he is unfamiliar with that team but feels he can still get an easy win over me. Most times its an epic fail for my opponent.

The key to using an underrated team in NCAA, and having sucess online, is knowing YOUR team. Know your weaknesses and know your strengths. Play to your strengths. If I play with Navy, I'm not gonna sling the ball 40 times a game. I'm gonna pound the ball, wear the defense down, and eat up clock. Or if I'm playing with Buffalo, I'm not gonna chuck the ball all over the field with the inexperienced QB. I'm gonna hand the ball off to Starks and setup a big play to Roosevelt.

You have to manage the game with teams like this. Their talent as a whole is not enough to beat Great teams. Individually they may have 2 or 3 good players. You have to eliminate your mistakes and capitalize on your opponent's mistakes.

I feel that winning with a variety of teams makes a good player. Not using Florida every game and destroying opponents game after game. If your good enough and smart enough, you can win with any team.

# 42 Dallasin2K3 @ 07/12/09 09:19 PM
I played a lot of games online last year, and my favorite thing to do was let my opponent pick a team and then I'd pick one rated a few points below his pick. I had a list of about 25 or 30 teams from 90 overall to 60 overall, and used them all randomly. Made it a lot of fun.

# 43 gator3guy @ 07/12/09 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasin2K3
I played a lot of games online last year, and my favorite thing to do was let my opponent pick a team and then I'd pick one rated a few points below his pick. I had a list of about 25 or 30 teams from 90 overall to 60 overall, and used them all randomly. Made it a lot of fun.
Keep the game fresh

# 44 Ronizzle @ 07/12/09 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by six
I got one that's in the SEC that I think would be fun to use, but I"m a homer so who knows.

The Kentucky Wildcats.

The defense is led by 95 rated Lindley at QB...but other than him no one is really rated that high...so it will be more of a challenge stopping the SEC offenses you will face like FL, GA, etc.

Offensively, I think true freshmen Morgan Newton at QB is an interesting person on the game. He is rated 83 overall, so he has star potential all over him by his 3rd year, and he has 87 speed so he is fast as well. Kentucky also has several fast runningbacks and some underrated WR's...

So, if you are looking for an underrated and not juiced team in the SEC...try UK...or Vandy. Building those teams up are always challenges and so fulfilling when you win your first SEC championship game.
I might go with Kentucky this year...I was doing rosters for PS2, and came across them. Newton is a BEAST, they also got damn fast running backs. The defense is alright, but the defense will be able to be built up with Newton still there(most likely will be a 90 or so by his senior year)

# 45 aimiami @ 07/12/09 10:54 PM
definatley southern miss or baylor i mean robert griffin just a beast

# 46 UATide @ 07/12/09 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
I find that sometimes when I choose a lower ranked team, that my opponent uses a team that is good but not elite. Most times he is unfamiliar with that team but feels he can still get an easy win over me. Most times its an epic fail for my opponent.

The key to using an underrated team in NCAA, and having sucess online, is knowing YOUR team. Know your weaknesses and know your strengths. Play to your strengths. If I play with Navy, I'm not gonna sling the ball 40 times a game. I'm gonna pound the ball, wear the defense down, and eat up clock. Or if I'm playing with Buffalo, I'm not gonna chuck the ball all over the field with the inexperienced QB. I'm gonna hand the ball off to Starks and setup a big play to Roosevelt.

You have to manage the game with teams like this. Their talent as a whole is not enough to beat Great teams. Individually they may have 2 or 3 good players. You have to eliminate your mistakes and capitalize on your opponent's mistakes.

I feel that winning with a variety of teams makes a good player. Not using Florida every game and destroying opponents game after game. If your good enough and smart enough, you can win with any team.

What he said! Excellent post, man.

Gosh I can't wait any longer for this game!!

# 47 BigDofBA @ 07/12/09 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimiami
definatley southern miss or baylor i mean robert griffin just a beast
I plan to bust up some fools with Robert Griffin and the flexbone.

# 48 gator3guy @ 07/12/09 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
I plan to bust up some fools with Robert Griffin and the flexbone.
Their playbook is very unique. They have ace, flexbone, i formation, strong i, and a bunch of shotgun sets to run a spread. It definitely looks great with Griffin running the show.

# 49 TracerBullet @ 07/12/09 11:51 PM
Great post gatorguy. To be honest, I try to avoid usuing Florida at all costs in the game. I only used them once on a PSP dynasty 3 years ago. I love small schools especially navy. I hated playing online becaiuse everyone uses Florida, Texas, OU, etc. and its just unfun. Kind of like how everyone uses the Lakers Cavs, or Celtics in NBA games. Last year I had a lot of fun taking Houston to the Big 12 and winning the Championship in 6 years. Hopefully I can find a new school to do this with this year. I'm thinkin' Dan LeFevour and the Chippewas right now.

# 50 gator3guy @ 07/13/09 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
Great post gatorguy. To be honest, I try to avoid usuing Florida at all costs in the game. I only used them once on a PSP dynasty 3 years ago. I love small schools especially navy. I hated playing online becaiuse everyone uses Florida, Texas, OU, etc. and its just unfun. Kind of like how everyone uses the Lakers Cavs, or Celtics in NBA games. Last year I had a lot of fun taking Houston to the Big 12 and winning the Championship in 6 years. Hopefully I can find a new school to do this with this year. I'm thinkin' Dan LeFevour and the Chippewas right now.
Yea its weird. I never thought I'd see the day that the Florida Gators would be the most popular team in NCAA. I remember when online gaming started and they were a distant third in the state of Florida. Well behind Miami and Florida St. Nobody used them. They had a bland offense (post Spurrier), and average players. Now everyone and their mom uses them. It sucks that people are "jumping on the bandwagon." Where were you guys when Chris Leak and Ingle Martin were the Qb's?

Because of this I feel guilty using my "own" team. That is why I use a different team every time I play online. Keeps the game fresh and forces me to be a complete player.

# 51 TracerBullet @ 07/13/09 12:23 AM
Quote:
Yea its weird. I never thought I'd see the day that the Florida Gators would be the most popular team in NCAA. I remember when online gaming started and they were a distant third in the state of Florida. Well behind Miami and Florida St. Nobody used them. They had a bland offense (post Spurrier), and average players. Now everyone and their mom uses them. It sucks that people are "jumping on the bandwagon." Where were you guys when Chris Leak and Ingle Martin were the Qb's?

Because of this I feel guilty using my "own" team. That is why I use a different team every time I play online. Keeps the game fresh and forces me to be a complete player.
Ugh the Ron Zook days, don't remind me haha. I feel the exact same way about feeling guilty. So many people use them it makes you feel like you jumped on the bandwagon like them. That and the fact they get a 99 ovr in every game now makes them less fun as well. I try to use teams who have a B ovr at most just to give myself a challenge.

# 52 BigDofBA @ 07/13/09 12:42 AM
Quote:
Their playbook is very unique. They have ace, flexbone, i formation, strong i, and a bunch of shotgun sets to run a spread. It definitely looks great with Griffin running the show.
I do like their playbook. That being said, I don't ever remember Baylor running the flexbone.

# 53 gator3guy @ 07/13/09 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
I do like their playbook. That being said, I don't ever remember Baylor running the flexbone.
I only seen there first game of the season last year and didn't see it either, but I do recall they had the flexbone in their playbook in '09.

# 54 Jobe111 @ 07/13/09 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikka
I'm just like you gator I probably use my favorite team once in a dynasty.. I tend to take on rebuilding challenges like Utah State or SMU I loved to use 1AA schools but ofcourse you couldn't for PS3 up until now with TB..
in the PS2 days UMass Montana and Villanove were my favorite to turn into D1 and build.
William and Mary (Had two great running backs in '06)

Harvard (Loved to build the program)

FAMU (Fun to recruit)

New Hampshire (In '06 they had a phenominal QB Sanchez. Offense was fun and hard to recruit)

Wish you could've included Marshall in that list

# 55 gator3guy @ 07/13/09 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe111
Wish you could've included Marshall in that list
I was thinking about it. Cody Slate is a favorite of mine.

# 56 yanks26ngoin @ 07/13/09 08:39 AM
Rice and Nevada were pretty good and fun to use in 09. I'd imagine that Nevada still is but Rice maybe more difficult and challanging now.

Also, where is Army?

# 57 jmqrsq @ 07/13/09 09:47 AM
what about USF? Grothe, Ford and super end George Selvie!

# 58 ChampIsHere42 @ 07/13/09 11:20 AM
it doesn't matter what team you use in NCAA to pass. Passing is way too easy in NCAA

# 59 gator3guy @ 07/13/09 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by russstwin1
Two words: Eugene Jarvis
I was thinking about it, but they lost Julian Edelman. That's a huge blow.

# 60 ChubbyBanana @ 07/13/09 11:38 AM
Nice list gator3guy!

Thanks for posting it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.