Home
News Post

It has now been four months since MLB 09: The Show was released. When the game was released, it received rave reviews from a number of different sources and still is generating passionate discussions on forums across the Internet.

But now that consumers have been able to reflect on "The Most Realistic Baseball Game Ever," what are some aspects of the game that are already polished and excellent, and what are some aspects that still need to be worked on for next year?

To begin with, MLB 09: The Show is still the best baseball game on the market. The few positives I will mention in this article only scratch the surface of what this game offers to both hardcore and casual fans of the sport, and the nuances that are only discovered after playing scores of games really set it apart from other baseball games available.

Read More - MLB '09: The Show Midseason Report

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 rudyjuly2 @ 07/13/09 12:43 PM
The pitcher/batter duel is fantastic and that's the heart of a baseball game. It's what separates this game from everything else. But the defensive side of the game needs an upgrade - more user fielding errors and an option for analog fielding.

The presentation is great but the colour guys need to mesh a little better. Matt V is really good as the play by play. I'd love to have a couple more camera options as well but the current ones certainly work well.

# 2 ckarlic @ 07/13/09 12:55 PM
Love the game..been playing it religiously from day. Can't wait to see what the new player models will look like.

Also, would love to see weather (ie. precipitation) in the next iteration.

# 3 Tovarich @ 07/13/09 01:08 PM
yes, weather would be a needed addition for franchise. Making moves for pitchers for double headers, removing pitchers in long delays, re-scheduling games(2K had game postponements, but it was always simply a double header the next day when in reality, it's re-scheduled for later in the season if at all possible) etc are necessary for franchise's realism. Being able to close the roof in Arizona, Milwaukee, Toronto, would be nice too.

The RTTS fielding issue brought up is indeed a royal pain when you're a pitcher. The OF animations could use some work, as they often affect the result. Even though that animation where the OF catches the ball on the run, but actually runs past the ball and sticks his glove behind him while still moving is annoying, it doesn't affect the result, and ultimately, irritates me less. The single most annoying OF problem for me though (RTTS and franchise) is that they don't charge groundballs. When someone's trying to tag, the arrows come up to catch the ball with momentum going forward to get more on the throw...this needs to be in there for groundballs too. Runners go 1st to 3rd on fairly hard singles far more often than they should, and it's because the OF animation takes over where he will stop and wait for the ball to get to roll to him rather than charge it. This gives even the slowest runners time to go 1st to 3rd, especially because once they field the ball, they shuffle their feet around for 2-3 steps before they even throw the ball. Close 2nd for RTTS defensive problems is the tag animation, namely the catcher, but it can be a problem at other bases too. The ball beating the runner only by a foot or two and the catcher not getting a tag down is understandable, but I've gotten the ball to the catcher with 5 or more feet to spare and he takes forever to turn and apply the tag and almost always misses it. Also when trying to take the fielder and run to 2nd or 3rd for a force, the tag animation will come up sometimes, and the tag will be missed when simply running to the base like I was trying to would've sufficed.

Fix what I just mentioned, as well as the DL problem(maybe we can get A-ball teams some day, eh eh?) and this game will be darn near perfect.

# 4 ajaxab @ 07/13/09 01:09 PM
RTTS works pretty well, but ultimately I don't have to care about my team. The mode is entirely focused on the individual. I don't even have to look at the standings (they pop up every once in awhile in pregame load screens) if I don't want to. Even if they just included standings in the post game load screen alongside your individual performance, that would go a long way in making you feel like you're part of a team and contributing to something bigger than your own stats and attribute growth.

The devs might even incorporate this into the goal system. In the current version, you have to steal or you have to swing at a pitch when the 3rd base coach calls for a hit and run or you're penalized. Why not allow players to be selfish by allowing them to avoid doing what coaches want them to do? Have something like a 'selfishness' meter. If a player gets too selfish and ruins team chemistry (from the mysterious manager request we can make now), he could be traded to another team. The selfishness rating could also factor into contract negotiations, contract offers from other clubs and possibly, relationships with teammates.

Baseball is the most individually-oriented of team sports, but adding a bit more emphasis to the team would be good.

# 5 ehh @ 07/13/09 03:58 PM
Unfortunately '09 lost my interest about six weeks ago, I couldn't take the hitting anymore and the random results it provides.

The pitcher/batter interface is such an intense battle that when you finally get a pitch and put a wheelhouse/perfect swing on it the results were way too random. The game would be on the line in the 9th inning and I'd get a fastball down the middle, put a perfect swing on it with A-Rod and hit a ground ball to 2nd. Why?

Then I'd hit a towering home run on a down-n-in pitch where my PCI would barely be touching the ball. Why?

This game needs a true cursor/zone hitting system for me to ever be addicted to it. It's still fun to play every now and then but I'm not going to get really into a game where the results are that random and out of my hands.

# 6 jbrew2411 @ 07/13/09 04:57 PM
I have loved this game since I poped it in and played the first game. I would like to be able to download a profile picture for any player. I hate the fake players mixed with the real pictures. I use full minors rosters. If you have the freedom to add any picture then they could get around the MLB/2K thing I would think.

# 7 slickdtc @ 07/13/09 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP598
The one thing that really bothers me about the game is the number of passed balls. I'm getting like 4 or 5 a game. Other than that, just very minor annoyances like the pitching coach coming after every first walk by the CPU. Sometimes the CPU's AI is just bad like runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and a slugger coming up late in the game and they pitch to him. Taking relievers out in the middle of an inning for no apparent reason. Like they will have a lefty reliever in the game who gets the first out and then, with another lefty hitter coming up, they will take him out and put in a righty.

Another thing that isn't a bug but bothers me in pretty much every baseball game is the strike zone. No umpire in major league baseball calls strikes above the belt. I know it's technically a rule, but come on it doesn't happen. I mean if anything leave it as part of the zone, but have the umps just not call it. I like the umps having variable strike zones, but it would be cool if each umpire was a little more consistent. Like, for instance, one guy gives a couple inches on the outside corner consistently, or one guy calls low strikes more often. Right now it seems like it is just completely random, and usually favors the CPU.

Anyway, all my complaints are minor because to me this game is awesome and just a few little things away from being perfect.
Passed balls were a problem for me until I started pitching to where the catcher called it (the majority of the time). Since then, my pitching has been stellar and passed balls have been way down. It's worth giving a try...

But anyway, yeah, midseason report, same as early season report. This game is gold. In a few short months, it's lived up to every expectation that I had transitioning from MVP Baseball 2005 on the XBOX to this. I've logged nearly 100 games now and now that I'm past the early jaw dropping moments, it's really reared its head as just a rock solid baseball game. After playing one game of MVP since I got this game, I can say that MLB 09 is the best baseball game ever released. SCEA got it right.

My plan is to stick with this game for a few years. They're going to add neat little features in upcoming editions, but the gameplay will probably be largely unchanged (as it should be, since it's pretty much perfect now). I'll just have to fight down the urge of wanting those fresh rosters and those glitzy features.

# 8 PsychoBulk @ 07/13/09 06:12 PM
Nice article.

For me the pitcher/batter duel in this game is stellar, the biggest thing they really need to work on, and i mean really go to town on, is the fielding, way too many poor decisions taken by AI fielders and Human fielders whilst the AI controls them before the Human take charge on a ball.

Other than that its absolutely superb.

# 9 Artman22 @ 07/13/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The pitcher/batter duel is fantastic and that's the heart of a baseball game. It's what separates this game from everything else. But the defensive side of the game needs an upgrade - more user fielding errors and an option for analog fielding.

The presentation is great but the colour guys need to mesh a little better. Matt V is really good as the play by play. I'd love to have a couple more camera options as well but the current ones certainly work well.
I completely agree with all you said. Fielding needs a lot of work and i agree that we need real manuel fielding. I'll add that the online needs much work as well. Overall the game is good, but just needs a few adjustments with fielding. Theres other things as well like weather, player models, etc.., but fielding should be priority #1 for mlb 10

# 10 countryboy @ 07/13/09 08:36 PM
Great writeup Chris.

I've said it a few times before, but given the topic of this thread I'll repeat it. This is by far the best baseball game that I've ever played. Hands down, no comparisons, and not even last year's installment. The leap this game made from last year to this year is astounding. This is also, in my humble opinion, the best sports game that I've ever played, hands down.

After 4 months, 3 seasons, and countless hours, I'm still eager to get home from work each night and play this game. I find myself thinking about the matchups coming up for any given night, as I daydream at work. Its amazing how much I've been "sucked into" this game. The game hasn't gotten stale. I haven't gotten bored with the game, nor have I grown tired of it. In fact, my appreciation for the game, the series, and the devs behind it, grows each and every night I play.

"The most realistic baseball game ever"? Baseball is my all time favorite sport and when it comes to the video games, I've played them all, some not to the extent of others, but I have played them all in some way. The Show '09 is the most realistic baseball game to ever come across a gaming console. What this game does on the field is nothing short of amazing. What it does off the field is quickly catching up to the greatness that it portrays on the field.

Yes, the game has bumps in the road, shortcomings, areas that need improvement. But at the end of the day, the good of this game, far outshine the bad. And the thing that excites me the most, is that this game is this good, no this great, with areas that still need improvement. We will never see a perfect baseball video game, but if there was one that could achieve that unattainable goal, it would be the Show. The passion for baseball the devs possess and express in their game, and the game itself that I've played, is what gives me the confidence to make that statement. And lets be honest, when you have gamers plunking down $400+ for a gaming console just to play your game, then you have to be doing something right.

To end this rambling session, let me say this...from one gamer and baseball fanatic to the Show development team......job well done.

# 11 RoyalKing716 @ 07/13/09 11:32 PM
Yea it's one hell of a game overall... 2  up Sony... I'm praying that 2ksports get it right in the Future..

# 12 Bodizzy @ 07/13/09 11:58 PM
I couldn't agree more with the overall sentiment that this game is just flat-out awesome. The pitcher-batter duel is great; if played on a somewhat difficult setting it takes a while to get the hang of it. I've just now become OK at anticipating pitch types and locations on All-Star. This makes the game.

Alas, the game's not perfect. Everyone knows the player models need addressing. Fielding needs... something. Other than random user errors and fielding animations, I don't know what could be done. Camera angles, maybe?

I would love more cut scenes like ones you get when you rake a fast ball 400+ feet. Fielding cut scenes would be nice. Maybe even quick ones when you hit the snot out of the ball for a double? Etc.

Also, and I know I'm dreaming on this, but classic stadiums like the Polo Grounds. Perhaps more customization with teams and players. The ability to choose an alternate roster of totally fictitious players and start in the 1800s? Have players and stadiums evolve along with the times, so say if you start your franchise in the '70s you'd see guys with 'fros and long hair. I'm not saying recreate OOTP in the Show, but I'm just saying. Give us tons of stuff to play with.

It's a great game. Very little needs to be fixed. So SCEA, fix those few little things and then throw in the kitchen sink.

# 13 bkrich83 @ 07/14/09 12:19 AM
For my money, best sports game I have ever played.

# 14 Knight165 @ 07/14/09 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodizzy
I couldn't agree more with the overall sentiment that this game is just flat-out awesome. The pitcher-batter duel is great; if played on a somewhat difficult setting it takes a while to get the hang of it. I've just now become OK at anticipating pitch types and locations on All-Star. This makes the game.

Alas, the game's not perfect. Everyone knows the player models need addressing. Fielding needs... something. Other than random user errors and fielding animations, I don't know what could be done. Camera angles, maybe?

I would love more cut scenes like ones you get when you rake a fast ball 400+ feet. Fielding cut scenes would be nice. Maybe even quick ones when you hit the snot out of the ball for a double? Etc.

Also, and I know I'm dreaming on this, but classic stadiums like the Polo Grounds. Perhaps more customization with teams and players. The ability to choose an alternate roster of totally fictitious players and start in the 1800s? Have players and stadiums evolve along with the times, so say if you start your franchise in the '70s you'd see guys with 'fros and long hair. I'm not saying recreate OOTP in the Show, but I'm just saying. Give us tons of stuff to play with.

It's a great game. Very little needs to be fixed. So SCEA, fix those few little things and then throw in the kitchen sink.

Bo....

I'm so with you on the customization and adding the classics...
I'd love to be able to set up a custom size league...with the ability to add teams to the division(s) where we like....assign stadiums and such so that we could recreate baseball's great history.

It sounds like you would enjoy them...so take a look in the Roster Section and grab my Classic Team set. They are in the Vault also under the name ClassicMLB. Great teams from the past for every franchise.
A blast to play with.

M.K.
Knight165

# 15 asu666 @ 07/14/09 10:44 AM
Best sports game ever! Thanks Sony San Diego.

# 16 Bodizzy @ 07/14/09 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Bo....

I'm so with you on the customization and adding the classics...
I'd love to be able to set up a custom size league...with the ability to add teams to the division(s) where we like....assign stadiums and such so that we could recreate baseball's great history.

It sounds like you would enjoy them...so take a look in the Roster Section and grab my Classic Team set. They are in the Vault also under the name ClassicMLB. Great teams from the past for every franchise.
A blast to play with.

M.K.
Knight165
I will definitely check out your classic team set of rosters. One of the greatest parts of baseball is the history and tradition of the sport. Can you imagine playing a franchise in the '30s and having to face Gehrig and the Babe? Or trying to scrap out a clutch hit with Koufax dishing you yakkers?

I truly appreciate the authenticity of the present as it's rep'd in the Show, but I think this series hasn't touched its ceiling yet. Let us create more players (something I'm sure you'd dig), give us full-throttle control over team and stadium customization, and throw in an active history (as far as licensing will allow), and you will have squarely cornered a market.

# 17 sportyguyfl31 @ 07/14/09 02:29 PM
I cant tell you how many times, I have come close to trading in my 360 for a PS3, jsut for this game, since just about everything else I play is available on both consoles anyway.

# 18 DubTrey1 @ 07/14/09 03:06 PM
I have to agree with everything in this post. However, for me the biggest gripe I have is the check swing calls. Other than that, this game is pure gold.

# 19 SwinginAs12 @ 07/14/09 09:34 PM
i absolutely love the game. One question, where did homerun durby go?

# 20 SDwinder @ 07/14/09 10:20 PM
Classic Oldtime stadiums and rosters, no doubt.

Realtime dynamic weather where clouds and shadows are moving in realtime, not just inning to inning. That would add to the immersion experience that much more.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.