Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"The first time you hit the court in NBA 2K10, something might look a bit different. Yes, you'll notice things like the improved player likenesses, including animated faces, better skin textures, and greater lighting effects. But you might also notice a sense of space on the hardwood that simply wasn't present in previous iterations. As developers put it to me, that's because the proportions between player size and the floor had gotten a bit out of whack in older games, resulting in players that were slightly larger than in real life. The team took a look at all of the player models in NBA 2K10 and made size adjustments across the board, with the result of having a slightly more open feel to the play on the court.

Of course, correcting player proportions is just one of the issues addressed in this year's game. As gameplay producer Rob Jones told me, the team wanted to address animations in a comprehensive way this year. To that end, Jones said his mo-cap team captured something in the realm of 9,000 animations during the mo-cap sessions for 2K10. And while not all of those animations were entered into this year's game, a good chunk have either replaced older animations or been added to the game. As he put it, if an animation is pre-NBA 2K9, it had less than a 50 percent chance of making it into NBA 2K10. Part of that new animation philosophy had to do with providing further definition between players. Naturally, a point guard will have access to a different set of moves than a massive center, but developers didn't stop there. They also wanted to capture the differences between how a 7-foot player moves from how a 6-foot-9-inch player gets around the court. As a result, Yao Ming will move like Yao (assuming he ever plays again, that is), Nene will move like Nene, and Steve Nash will do his thing."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Daxeem @ 08/06/09 12:23 AM
The best things about the article were the praise for the commentary and the partnership with 82games.com

Hopefully, 82games.com is actually involved with the game directlly, as opposed to providing links for the 2K Insider to check

Graphically, the Wade model looks off. Seems like they're using older face models. It looks like the 2K6/7 Wade face

# 122 jmood88 @ 08/06/09 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1nat3_24/7
all im sayin is both live and 2k add fancy animations and words to their articles for marketing and want consumers to get the games... none of these things are for sure and promising until you play the final product oct. 6th......ppl shouldnt judge anything until oct. 6
They didn't write the article, someone from gamespot who played the game wrote it.

# 123 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/06/09 12:26 AM
Pared they don't listen to us. I'm pretty sure Mike Wang told them to add those features in the game since he is the Almighty Basketball God and therefore has the power to make or break any Basketball game with the snap of his fingers.

# 124 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/06/09 12:29 AM
Goodness, did the other thread have to be locked too?

# 125 ai2k2 @ 08/06/09 12:40 AM
(I wanted to post this in the Screenshot's thread, but its locked. Here it goes...)

Mannn this is why I love OS. Lmao you guys got me, I didn't read the article arrest me. Lol... but I just read it. Mannn they def did some great work, I can't even lie. I came in pre judging. I am guilty. I agree great job, only thing to complain about is the graphics... damnnnnnn 9, 000 animations though?... Yikes!

# 126 B-Wills @ 08/06/09 12:40 AM
Wow

D-League license
Summer league
"9,000 mo capped animations"
Improved commentary
Warm-ups

My player mode is shaping up well, and the new menu looks SICK. 2k really does listen to the community. Can't wait to see what Association mode has in store this year. 2k10 Looks like another 1st day purchase for me.

# 127 tcnumba10 @ 08/06/09 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai2k2
(I wanted to post this in the Screenshot's thread, but its locked. Here it goes...)

Mannn this is why I love OS. Lmao you guys got me, I didn't read the article arrest me. Lol... but I just read it. Mannn they def did some great work, I can't even lie. I came in pre judging. I am guilty. I agree great job, only thing to complain about is the graphics... damnnnnnn 9, 000 animations though?... Yikes!
lol now tell the other "LIVE Fanboys" who post in here to never judge a book by it's cover...

# 128 Pared @ 08/06/09 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnumba10
lol now tell the other "LIVE Fanboys" who post in here to never judge a book by it's cover...
Enough of the fanboy talk, kidding or not. Let's just talk about the games.

# 129 ai2k2 @ 08/06/09 12:46 AM
No they feel the way they feel for a different reason. I can't tell anyone what to say nor do lol... but I do now want to see both games in motion. That will be the icing on the cake.

# 130 spankdatazz22 @ 08/06/09 12:47 AM
Wow. Great preview; tons of info to digest. I like how they're releasing info and things are slowly coming together. Initially I didn't see the wisdom behind the CAP DLC and it's online component, but now I can see a LOT of people wanting to create themselves and playing in pickup 5-on-5 games online. Almost like a true virtual streetball court, if I'm interpreting what they're doing correctly.

The new commentary sounds interesting; wonder if they'll do something along the lines of what's in MLB2K9. Graphics were already great and looks like they managed to improve on that; some of the player faces are near-perfect. My favorite screenshot was the one of the Bulls arena; amazing detail. I think a lot of people missed that they had realtime functioning jumbotrons (or whatever they're called) in '09; looks like they'll expand on that - hopefully they'll show them off in-game more in '10. I like the screen overlay showing it's a Thanksgiving Day game; again already-great presentation should be getting a nice bump up. The constantly changing main screen sounds really cool.

And love all the gameplay enhancements. Improved spacing; better double-teaming mechanic (have to see how it's implemented); the emphasis on signature play... it's all coming together quite nicely. In addition kinda nice that they seem to have addressed so many of the community concerns and shows they're more in touch than some are willing to allow. Looks like the dev team can walk and chew gum at the same time

# 131 TreyIM2 @ 08/06/09 12:49 AM
I think the game looks pretty good. I'm not gunna nickpick someone's face not being as accurate or little non-sense like that. Now, I wish they woulda addressed how they are going to fix some of the on court stuff like the long animations that affect controlling players, at times, that it wonks out and u end up going in a direction u DON'T wanna go.

Maybe some of their 9 trillion additional animations will help fix some of the gameplay probs. Eh. As long as it's a good game, I'm in but I want Live to be good, as well.

# 132 statum71 @ 08/06/09 12:49 AM
Looking really good. The player models still have a little shiny glaze look though. 2K, can you tweak that?

I'm still impressed.

# 133 Goffs @ 08/06/09 01:03 AM
hmm im still iffy about the commentating...they said the same thing last year and it was just added "OOOOOOHHHH" and "AAAAAAAHHHHS" this is one of those things that i need to hear it to believe it...

# 134 Ty @ 08/06/09 01:09 AM
I'm amazed at the stuff they have done. Graphics look noticeably improved over last year. Can't wait!

# 135 enfilade22 @ 08/06/09 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the graphics are just as good as last years if not better relax everyone.

# 136 RipCity71252 @ 08/06/09 01:27 AM
All of this means little to me unless they worked on animation triggering, basic player movement (extremely over-animated, casually dribbling around the perimeter shouldn't be a chore as it is in 2k9). And most importantly the defensive end of the court, because the fundementals in this game are god awful and really killed the game experience for me in 2k9.

Hpefully the AI is a little less scripted this time as well. What's the point of having extensive playbooks when the CPU only bothers to run 2-3 of them?

# 137 KaptnKirk12 @ 08/06/09 01:28 AM
I'm very pleased with everything from that article.

The only thing I am suspect on is the commentary. Presentation wise overall NBA 2k has always been okay, nothing amazing, and nothing that really took away from the game, but it never really added much like NFL 2k5 did, or even College Hoops. I'm hoping this year is different though, so hopefully this is a good sign.

I absolutely can't wait for that My Player mode. A draft combine, training camps, summer league and D-League. Jeez that's going to be a blast. Hopefully there is some interaction with teammates and coaching staff to go along with this thing. Example, I want to see Phil Jackson walking around at the practices and such.

The online feature that goes along with that is going to be awesome as well, still earning points to make your player better, while playing online with friends. Sweet.

Create a Draft Class should excite a lot of people, and being able to share them. How awesome is it going to be to have updated rosters throughout the entire Association process? I know there will be some busy people here, and I definitely can't wait to see that take off. Really wish there was some more information on the Association mode, so hopefully we get something more on that in the near future.

Definitely can't wait to play some cheese players online with that sprint meter, they'll be so screwed over without being able to press and run around all day. Nice addition.

Screens look pretty good, faces definitely look spot on. Player models look like they've been tweaked a little to look even better. Jerseys and some of the textures still arn't up to NBA Live standard, but I can live with it when the gameplay and overall player models look and feel more life like.

# 138 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/06/09 01:49 AM
One thing I would like to know is if the big men are 7 feet and above, will they still dominate defensively? (like Ilgauskas for example).

I really don't like the fact that guards like Jameer Nelson, CP3, and Tony Parker will miss a bunch of easy layups inside simply because they were contested by a big man.

Assuming the court spacing helps, it should clear that up a bit.

It's something that worries me because I felt small quick guards were largely ineffective going inside and were blocked left and right on any layup attempt. This made the game much more superstar/big man heavy instead of running a team point guard style.

# 139 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/06/09 01:51 AM
After viewing the live screens again, they were really good, it's hard to say which screens are better.

Looking at the lighting/skin textures on Derrick Rose, Wade, Shaq, Jermaine O'neal, and Artest, their color tones/textures are very good. I'm impressed with facial expressions and animations much more in 2k than I am in Live, certain players look great in live, others just have ridiculous angry facial expressions (like Nash, Deron Williams). I do like the muscle definition more in the Live pics, very clean, and great skin textures.

The jerseys are definitely still a problem, looking at the Shaq screen it clearly cuts through his left forearm.

# 140 23 @ 08/06/09 02:02 AM
I dont care who's screens were better... I want 2 good freaking games this year after last years releases

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.