Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

The battle for videogame hockey supremacy wasn’t much of a battle last year, as EA seemed to pull ahead with NHL 09. But a lot can change in a year. Previous developer Kush was disbanded in 2008, months after the development cycle of NHL 2K9 was already in full swing, which put the new developers (Visual Concepts) in a tough spot. (If that development studio sounds familiar, that's because it's the studio that's responsible for the critically acclaimed NBA 2K series.)

And the shortened development cycle certainly did hurt NHL 2K9, but it also seems to have benefited NHL 2K10. Visual Concepts took the criticism of 2K9 to heart and is now trying to build the best possible NHL game this year to make up for it. From what I saw, it won’t take long for gamers to notice the improvements.

Read More - NHL 2K10 Hands-On Preview

NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kai123 @ 08/12/09 07:54 PM
thanks Os, you always do great hands-on for sportsgames.

looks like there is High Sticking.

# 2 BigH2k6 @ 08/12/09 09:31 PM
Good job OS.

It's refreshing to read previews from people that actually know sports

# 3 KaptnKirk12 @ 08/12/09 09:53 PM
Sounds promising, will definitely be checking it out this year.

# 4 savoie2006 @ 08/12/09 11:46 PM
I knew this game is gonna suprise some people, I can't wait! Good write up Chris.

# 5 Avizzv92 @ 08/13/09 12:20 AM
Completely pumped for this to come out for the Wii, I don't care if the graphics won't be as good I'm just looking for a good time hockey game... And Im finally getting one it seems

Too bad it's the same month school starts which will cut my free time considerably...

Still curious what this Wii Exclusive feature is... For those of you familiar with MK:Wii perhaps NHL 2k10 will add it's own channel where you can check out your online stats/standings/teams/players/information/ect... on the channel without needing to insert the disc. Or it could be Wii Connect24, though possible it could be Mii integration, not sure if I'd want that though.

# 6 Avizzv92 @ 08/13/09 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Yeah it sounds like this game is going to kick *** on Wii. I might have to get a Wii now. I can tell my wife it would be good for my son's fine motor skills.
If you do get one and need motion+ attachment and you enjoy golf I recommend purchasing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Wii... Not entirely sure but I think you can still get a free bundle M+ with it and it's an amazing game I spent half my Summer playing it and still am. And the bundle will save you $10... Even for those I know who dislike golf in real life have enjoyed it.

# 7 tabulaRasa @ 08/13/09 02:59 AM
Sounds good, 2 good games of hockey equals = Win

# 8 Acedeck @ 08/13/09 03:09 AM
I'm so glad hockey and basketball still have competition in the sports gaming world. We benefit greatly. Without 2k, Live wouldn't have started making a comeback. Without EA's hockey game, 2k wouldn't have had to rebuild their game.

Great preview. I'm pumped for this game. I can't wait for both hockey games this year.

# 9 slickdtc @ 08/13/09 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck
I'm so glad hockey and basketball still have competition in the sports gaming world. We benefit greatly. Without 2k, Live wouldn't have started making a comeback. Without EA's hockey game, 2k wouldn't have had to rebuild their game.

Great preview. I'm pumped for this game. I can't wait for both hockey games this year.
Totally agree with you, Acedeck. I admit, I have a soft spot for the NHL 2k series (though I'm not a complete lemming -- I guess it's because I've followed NHL 2k since it's inception), but what I want first and foremost is the OPTION to go with either EA's or 2k's game.

This year, both games look incredible. I really think we're in for a big year for NHL games.

# 10 Money99 @ 08/13/09 02:44 PM
Nice preview Richard!

How much time did you have with the game?

# 11 Eddie1967 @ 08/13/09 10:33 PM
"While the gameplay has improved, everything else has as well. The new and improved franchise mode gives the user much more roster freedom, including uneven trades, a new team-budget system, GM personalities and team identities. The GM personalities and team identities will make computer-controlled squads behave as they would in real life. That means Lou Lamoriello will build a defense-oriented team in New Jersey, while the GM of the Islanders, Garth Snow, will be a seller at the trade deadline. As teams improve or regress over the years, these GM identities can and will change".

Are you kidding me? This is brilliant and will go along way towards make this whole franchise a true simulation. I cannot wait to play this game. I knew VC would come through. They are showing what they can do with a full development cycle.

# 12 buzzguy @ 08/16/09 02:41 PM
Have you guys been following the Wii version at all? That is looking SICK!
I know the reputation the Wii has, but this could be the definitive sports game on the Wii.
It's supposed to have all the features of the HD consoles, but with Wii Motion+. I'm stoked for it!

# 13 slickdtc @ 08/16/09 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzguy
Have you guys been following the Wii version at all? That is looking SICK!
I know the reputation the Wii has, but this could be the definitive sports game on the Wii.
It's supposed to have all the features of the HD consoles, but with Wii Motion+. I'm stoked for it!
We've been forced to.

I'll admit, it's looking good for Wii. Though that's not my primary system, I am happy deep down inside that it's getting the full treatment. I never liked how Nintendo's recent consoles got no love in the sports games department. If I had just a Wii, I'd be absolutely ecstatic over what NHL 2k10 is shaping up to be. Finally a legitimate sports game on the Wii.

# 14 goheat @ 08/17/09 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avizzv92
Completely pumped for this to come out for the Wii, I don't care if the graphics won't be as good I'm just looking for a good time hockey game... And Im finally getting one it seems

Too bad it's the same month school starts which will cut my free time considerably...

Still curious what this Wii Exclusive feature is... For those of you familiar with MK:Wii perhaps NHL 2k10 will add it's own channel where you can check out your online stats/standings/teams/players/information/ect... on the channel without needing to insert the disc. Or it could be Wii Connect24, though possible it could be Mii integration, not sure if I'd want that though.
It looks like the Wii-exclusive mode is called Mii Superskills mode.

See http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1014248p1.html

# 15 SoxFan01605 @ 08/26/09 02:32 AM
As someone who can easily be described as a casual hockey fan at most, I don't generally follow these games all too closely during development. I do always give them a go when the season roles around though.

Anyway, I was disappointed in last year's, but I've always preferred the 2K brand of hockey. I'm glad to see that the outlook is positive and am looking forward to giving it a try.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.