Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Another NBA Developer Insights is online, this one talking about NBA 2K10 and NBA Today.

Quote:
"NBA Today is a revolutionary way to experience the NBA 2K game play you love. In the “old days” you’d fire up your basketball game and wind up on a team select screen…try to figure out what matchup you wanted to play and then get going. When it came to commentary, presentation and overlays your game was happening in a vacuum. There was nothing “real” about it. It was a fantasy matchup that had no real-world context and no impact. There was a limited list of subjects the commentators could discuss. They could talk about what was happening in that particular game and they could talk about what happened last season. That was pretty much it.

In NBA 2K10 that’s all changed. NBA Today takes the sport you love, NBA basketball, and the game you love, NBA 2K, and finally puts them in the same “world”. When you start 2K10, your Internet-connected console will reach out and grab all the latest information about what’s happening in the league. After that, you won’t land on the team select screen: instead you’ll go directly to the NBA Today screen which lists the REAL NBA matchups that are actually being played TODAY. Additionally you will see a breakdown of scores from last night’s games, as well as view which players in tonight’s matchups are leading their teams in the various stat categories. Furthermore, while the game is loading you’ll get a quick update on how both teams did in their last games and the stats their key players put up. From the NBA Today Menu, you can access box scores for ALL NBA games that have already been played, division and conference standings, league leader stats, the latest transactions, follow any trades that are happening around the league, and check out an All-Star voting watch menu."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Hassan Darkside @ 08/17/09 08:57 PM
Real good idea as far as ensuring that commentary isn't stale. I wonder what happens in the off-season though seeing as how some of us are still playing well past the NBA finals.

And I also wonder how this works online. Will they still bring up overlays online and speak about the current NBA or will that be sacrificed in order for a smoother online experience? And what about online leagues? Will commentary focus around what's going on in your online league?

# 22 jr2424 @ 08/17/09 09:02 PM
I can't believe they can do this. Will they have the commentators continue to record lines throughout the season? And how the hell will the game know what's going on in my association as opposed to someone else's?

# 23 STLRams @ 08/17/09 09:05 PM
Wow, all I can say is wow. Dynamic commentary, during quick games and in association. Your off to a nice start with the features 2K, im impressed.

# 24 Checmate101 @ 08/17/09 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
I can't believe they can do this. Will they have the commentators continue to record lines throughout the season? And how the hell will the game know what's going on in my association as opposed to someone else's?

That's what I want to know..

# 25 youvalss @ 08/17/09 09:18 PM
Best Insight so far. I'm excited again, trees are green, I feel like singing! La la la...

Really, that sounds awesome! There's always something cool cooking at the 2K headquarters.

# 26 bigballa21 @ 08/17/09 09:26 PM
This news was surprising just what i needed to hear....waiting for the live fanboys to downplay this one

# 27 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/17/09 09:26 PM
Like what im hearing so far. This was one of the slight issues I had with this last year.

# 28 Goffs @ 08/17/09 09:28 PM
I'm still a bit skeptical...I wonder how seemless this will all sound...man now I want vids with audio....dynamic commentary is just unbelievable lol

# 29 yungflo @ 08/17/09 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
I'm still a bit skeptical...I wonder how seemless this will all sound...man now I want vids with audio....dynamic commentary is just unbelievable lol
true. I'm the same way lol.

# 30 Epiffani @ 08/17/09 09:38 PM
Now I can start to anticipate this game as its starting to take shape a bit. It was a lot to like in that blog, but this that I bold really stood out to me.

Quote:
The commentators now have the knowledge of what’s happening league-wide and will reference the most up-to-date information possible in their conversations. But it’s not just all talk, a lot of the topics, the commentary team will talk about, have overlays that coincide with their analysis. During the season, they’ll catch you up on who’s leading the league and how teams are ranked in various stat categories, check out a team’s upcoming schedule and even do a promo spot for an upcoming game. If it’s a holiday, as you may have seen in previous screens, that isn’t going to be ignored; the game will present the holiday in overlays and commentary. As the playoffs are approaching you’ll get the east/west conference standings and once the post season starts, you’ll get playoffs and finals screen wipes. The commentary and presentation will constantly be changing throughout the season to coincide with the real league and transition from pre-season to regular season and finally to the postseason.
You can never have enough stat overlays in the game. Its one of those "little" things, that fans have appreciated for quite some time, but it hasn't been done quite to the extent that it could be done. Having overlays to coincide with the commentary, then have the commentators delve deeper into the statistics that showed up on the overlays (rather it be road trips, injuries, individual performance from previous game etc), makes this sound like commentary has finally took that "next level" step. They've promised new commentary in the past, but never to this extent, and never with this type of detail and excitement. Then you add to the fact, that the commentators are no longer locked into their lines when something big happens..........

As I've said, now that anticipation is building with me, slowly but surely.

# 31 ethanlee29 @ 08/17/09 09:41 PM
2k must've created a lot of scenarios for kevin and clark to read lol

# 32 akiracy @ 08/17/09 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
how come they didnt explain how they could accomplish this? seems not possible
mike wang did all this before he left

# 33 cam21224 @ 08/17/09 09:45 PM
Sounds amazing.

Now I need some vids of this, aww man what a wait it's going to be.

# 34 Goffs @ 08/17/09 09:48 PM
Jeez this is the first time that I'm actually looking forward to listening rather than seeing gameplay....this is like a mind f right here...I really wasn't expecting much in the commentary department but this is a very nice surprise...if they pull it off...

Hmm the guy who did the insight chaudri? The name sounds familiar...I could've sworn he posted in the choops forums as one of the devs....

# 35 Da_Czar @ 08/17/09 09:58 PM
rumble 2k rumble.... Hot !!!

# 36 Spectre @ 08/17/09 10:01 PM
Promos for a big game?

Dynamic commentary?

I need to clean up

# 37 jr2424 @ 08/17/09 10:04 PM
If they can pull this off properly, it would be one of the most jaw-dropping features in gaming -- not just sports games. I gotta see this in action. I just can't see the commentary keep up with all the trades and things we would do in our associations. But if, by some amazing feat, they can get this to work, this game will be groundbreaking -- and not just for a sports game.

# 38 Sinner @ 08/17/09 10:06 PM
Quote:
Jeez this is the first time that I'm actually looking forward to listening rather than seeing gameplay....this is like a mind f right here...I really wasn't expecting much in the commentary department but this is a very nice surprise...if they pull it off...

Hmm the guy who did the insight chaudri? The name sounds familiar...I could've sworn he posted in the choops forums as one of the devs....

How nice would it be if this game played like a better version of CH2k8 with all the things they are adding....lets hope.

# 39 wrestlinggod1 @ 08/17/09 10:11 PM
it would be so cool if i was playing a game in my association and then all of a sudden hear harlan say something about someone getting traded or picked up from FA

# 40 akiracy @ 08/17/09 10:18 PM
Quote:
http://www.giantbomb.com/asif-chaudhri/72-21019/

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.