Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 demo is available for the Xbox 360. Post your impressions here. The PS3 demo will be available next week.

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Vikes1 @ 08/20/09 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I think it's worth mentioning that the overall teammate and opponent AI in BAP is way improved.
I messed around with BAP myself, for 3-4 games. I thought it was a lot of fun and very rewarding. I didn't score...but getting the couple of assists I got felt great. I've never really spent much time with the BAP mode, but that may very well change this year.

# 162 onlybygrace @ 08/20/09 10:04 PM
Realm...did you mean to say that the saucer passes are harder on hardcore???

Gonna go play some more...

# 163 Redshirt_EA @ 08/20/09 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Can anyone answer the question about the broadcast camera? Is it the same as last years or did they actually make it a broadcast camera view?
Same.

# 164 Redshirt_EA @ 08/20/09 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeberg
Well thanks for following through with the screen shot!
And if I am going to find some positive, then at least VL4's face looks better than it did last year.
If you cannot make anymore changes, does this mean that the game has gone gold?
Yep, we've been hands off for final certification (internal and with first party) for a while now.

# 165 Redshirt_EA @ 08/20/09 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akula
what the hell EA? how could you not see this? the leg lift should be limited to once every 5 seconds or something. PATCH!!!!!!!
I have to look at this more myself, but it looks a lot like the guy recorded the video playing on rookie, where you can skate through the other team like that with or without the leg kick.

Seems like someone trying to stir the pot to me, I do not think this will be exploitable and we will follow up on it to make sure that it isn't. No argument that it looks absurd and that alone is reason to make a fix.

# 166 RoyalBoyle78 @ 08/20/09 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Hank, I'm very tempted at this point after putting an absolute metric asston of time into the demo today that NHL10 is EA's version of NHL2k3. IMO it's that damn good. As for your questions
1 With one timers you need to be spot on pretty much else you either fan on the shot or end up taking a weaker shot.

2. From my experience its only the more skilled CPU players who will do a one on one. I've only seen guys like Hossa and Sykora and the like do it when I'm lining them up. Better players seem to be better at doing it imo.

3. When playing against Detroit I notice that if I stand them up at the blue line well enough, they'll cut back towards center ice and regroup. Pittsburg on the other hand dumps alot more from what I've seen today. Thats not to say the Pens don't regroup as well, the Crosby line tends to do it more than the other lines though.

4. To a degree yes, the AI will try and play to the players attributes more and I've found it a tad harder to knock guys like Staal off the puck vs someone like Hal Gill for example. I do still think CPU passing is too tape to tape on the whole, mostly when the're already set up in your defensive zone but I'm figuring the sliders in the full version should help to tone that down a tad.
5. Eh I play with both, I was on a pens kick during those early impressions posts
WOW, 2K3 my favorite Hockey ever

# 167 Eddie1967 @ 08/20/09 10:33 PM
After playing the demo for a few hours the A.I. seems to be very challenging. I also like how my d men put themselves in great position to stop goals when I'm just running around trying to lay out the CPU players. There is no way you can just skate up and down the ice in this game. I really had to make good passes and cycle the puck around to get a clear shot on the goalie. I still don't feel a real difference in individual players just yet. I really dislike the after the whistle scrums which are a bit arcadish IMHO.
I could see it happening for a few seconds but it goes on for way too long IMO. The passing was hard but in a good way. I still have to get used to shooting with the skill stick (haven't scored a goal yet). One thing I'm not feeling is the animations of the players, and that includes the goalies. They all have this hunched over look that will take sometime to get used to. The way the players move and react just doesn't seem natural to me. All of the animations aren't bad but the majority seem too robotic to me.

I am definitely not impressed with the in game presentation. After watching those IGN videos yesterday I thought that the look and sounds of the game were really good, but after playing the demo, I can see why I prefer 2k's brand in the presentation dept. The crowd doesn't seem loud enough for my liking, although I did hear some MVP chants which was nice but not enough to call it anything other than okay. I saw the the players catching the puck and putting it down and other little things but stuff like that doesn't impress since it was already in 2k's game. It's not a bad game by any means, but I feel it needs to have more personality to keep me interested. Hopefully more time with it will lead me to discover new things that will change my mind.

It's hard coming from one hockey game to another so I'm sure I will have to be patient.

# 168 Redshirt_EA @ 08/20/09 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akula
ea needs to see this.. hardcore mode isnt very hardcore considering you cant make hard passes without waiting for it to charge up! is this an oversight or is there a fix in the works? hmm.. i like the idea of controlling pass speed but this sure is one NASTY side effect redshirt?
You could try turning the Manual Passing option off and leaving Pass Assist at the minimum level. Then the power will not be on the duration of the press.

# 169 kellkasey @ 08/20/09 10:34 PM
I'll be very surprised if it's late September and I haven't declared this the best sports game I ever played.

I've played NHL09 more than any game in my life--I usually tire of games within a few weeks--and NHL10 (even if it only improves by a SMALL SMALL margin) should be the best sports game we ever played.

From what we've heard, it has a bunch of new additions and it seems improved over last year...and last yr it was widely considered the best sports game of the yr. The guys who put NHL together keep getting better and better ever since NHL2k strongly challenged them.

If ever there was an example of why "competition" is great for the sports gaming industry, this is it. I wouldn't touch EA NHL for 2 or 3 years there because NHL2k was lightyears better. Last year, I bought both games and returned 2k within a week.

These guys really care about the product they put out there and it shows. The new physics and additions in the demo look great and I cant wait until the game hits store shelves. I've said "WOW" while playing the demo like once per period...and I've played the demo probably 10 times over the course of the past day.

# 170 bcgudely @ 08/20/09 10:51 PM
This game is 110% f*cking incredible. Best sports game I've ever played hands down. Wow, what an improvement over 09. I cannot stop playing the Battle for the Cup game over.. and over and over. If I'm ahead by 1 at the end of regulation, I pull osgood to go to OT lol!

If you don't like this game, sure you have a right to your opinion. You just have poor taste.

# 171 Eddie1967 @ 08/20/09 11:09 PM
Quote:
Presentation is so much more than some flashy intros and good looking arenas. The crowd sounds great and look great with glass bangers, properly reacting to the play going on around them etc. not sure what you're even talking about there. Not to mention Thorne and Clement's commentary and especially their delivery puts what 2k has to offer in their game to shame.
I'm not saying it's awful, but I think 2k9's was better and we have already seen glimpses of the 2k10's improved presentation. Your idea and my idea of presentation are two totally different things and that's cool. I'll give you the delivery for Thorne and Clement but I don't think the commentary is any better than Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda in 2k9.

# 172 Eddie1967 @ 08/20/09 11:12 PM
Quote:
Lets not turn this into an EA vs 2k thread but if you perfer weaksauce herky jerky realtime celebrations all the more power to ya.
Your the only one doing that, some of us are just giving our opinions and comparing it to the game we play. Allow us to do that without getting all sensitive and turning this into something it isn't. Not everyone feels the same way you do, go figure.

# 173 MizzouRah @ 08/20/09 11:20 PM
I feel bad for my copies of Madden and NCAA.. this game is going to be a classic.. and get most of my free playing time.

Even on pro default the game has grown leaps and bounds imho.. I loved 2k's board play, but EA nailed it and it flows so nicely. Game is definitely "organic" and the atmosphere is really intense. Camera seems a bit closer to the ice and I love that.

Goalies have a bunch of new animations and I actually like the fighting.

This game can't come soon enough!!!

# 174 MizzouRah @ 08/20/09 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Disgree big time that is so weak. When I score a goal I want to see more celebration. I was not impress with that at all. 2k wins hand down in that department to me.
C'mon Scott.. 2k9's celebrations were non-existent.. sometimes players even celebrating by themselves.

# 175 Eddie1967 @ 08/20/09 11:24 PM
Another thing that could use some improvement are the checking animations. I figured out how to do that pretty quickly but I have yet to see someone get laid out when it was appropriate. They collide but there is very little affect to the way the body reacts it seems.

# 176 Eddie1967 @ 08/20/09 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
You are the Eddie of EA. Any way I love playing as be a pro. I love the blue arrows telling my dumb *** where to go. I just want to score goals. That is fun! But the Kings. I am not happy about that.
LOL, so true. We really have a lot in common.

One thing I will say for sure is that this game is definitely challenging for me. I'm going on a few hours and the only goal I scored was an empty netter. I'm still playing though so there must be something I like.

# 177 Roscosuper II @ 08/20/09 11:34 PM
Ok, I understand Littman wants more play from the points, but why is there no pressure at all put on the points from cpu or cpu teammates? I'm playing on superstar too. And the cpu passing on superstar hardcore is not sim at all. And allstar is to easy.

# 178 mkharsh33 @ 08/20/09 11:43 PM
so i'm getting the impression that, in spite of all the hype, this game has a number of holes in it and may have taken a few steps backwards in some areas (all the while understanding that this is a demo version). hope the developers are taking notice of the thoughts here...

# 179 SeaNNyT @ 08/20/09 11:55 PM
The on ice graphics seem to have taken quite a hit. Maybe next year they can bump those up a lot.

# 180 phillyfan23 @ 08/21/09 12:04 AM
lots of good things from the demo....

1) player differntiation is more pronounced. Speed of course, but turning, puckhandling, agility, etc.

2) goalie animations look great

3) more neutral zone play

4) great crowd ambiance

5) goal variety is even better

But these great things will be moot if the hardcore passing on SUPERSTAR for the CPU isnt fixable via sliders.

Some say on default, it's better than last year's ....no way, it's the exact same, they don't miss ANY passes unless it's intercepted.

The demo is incomplete to judge for me just on this aspect alone. Imagine struggling completing passes as the flyers, while watching the lightning complete tic tac toes like there's no tomorrow...

Hopefully the cpu pass accuracy is extremely sensitive so that this problem can be dealt with.

The game has a slew of new sliders that can really fine tune this game to a simmer's dream.....but it ALL depends on the cpu pass acc slider. If that works well, this game has got the goods.....if not ? bad bad news for ofline gamers

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.