Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson sees evidence of greatness in the upcoming NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"When the "NBA 2K10" producers announced that they were lowering the player ratings in their game across the board to better separate the superstars you cheer from the bench players doing all the cheering, all you have to do is look at Jerome James and his embarrassing 42 overall to know they weren't messing around. Other casualties of the ratings game include Adam Morrison (crashing hard to a 55 overall) and even former 2K Sports spokesman J.J. Redick, who despite showing some flashes in the postseason, drops to a 52.

But the change in attitude over the ratings isn't the only aspect 2K Sports was looking to adjust, as in speaking to the game designers, they look back to "NBA 2K7" as still being the best in franchise history. "When fans talk about 'NBA 2K,' they always go back to '2K7,'" says producer Rob Jones. "After they see what we've done with 'NBA 2K10,' they won't need to talk about any of our older games. '2K10' is going to be the game everyone talks about from now on."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TMagic @ 08/31/09 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballballer
Crews can design their own jerseys and logos

sounds like a better create a team
I completely over read that. That's pretty cool.

With their proposed better online functionality and small additions like these, online could be really fun this year. Hopefully they will rebound well from last year.

# 42 Onpoint17 @ 08/31/09 07:25 PM
This was a great article. It really puts the player ratings in perspective from the Combine to the NBA. Its refreshing to know that my pre-drafted combine player could actually have a higher rating than a veteran NBA player.

With the new rating system, new tendencies and animations and 82games.com data, this truly sounds like this could be an all-new NBA game. I'm really looking forward to it.

# 43 Goffs @ 08/31/09 07:25 PM
You guys think OS will have their own logo ingame?

# 44 bigsmallwood @ 08/31/09 07:28 PM
I look forward to the in-game videos and the DEMO!!!! For B-ball fans its going to be a wonderful year!!!!

# 45 NumberOneRB @ 08/31/09 07:33 PM
Its great to read about all the improvements 2K has made with their new game, but that's all we've been doing so far...READING. I'm hoping 2K actually SHOWS these overly talked about improvements via some videos this week. We have about a month before it gets released its time for 2K to show us what they have to offer.

# 46 J-Unit40 @ 08/31/09 07:36 PM
Outstanding article. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I just hope I don't end up spending a buck and a quarter on NBA titles this year.

Damn you video game producers making good games!

# 47 TMagic @ 08/31/09 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Outstanding article. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I just hope I don't end up spending a buck and a quarter on NBA titles this year.

Damn you video game producers making good games!
LOL

Better find a buddy...Make him buy one while you buy the other...That's how I used to handle my video game purchasing.

# 48 reptilexcq @ 08/31/09 07:42 PM
Man i am not sold onto the comment made by Rob Jones because i remember last year, they say the same thing about 2K9...you know like the game is going to be fast like 2K7 blah blah blah..but when i played it damm...i was soo pissed again it looks and play just like 2K8 with players running up and down like they're dragging their legs through water. I am a big 2k7 fan and after all these years waiting and i am still here complaining about what the hell have they done to 2K7?? The producers need to realize that this is a VIDEO GAME!! And if you're going to make a game with realistic physics, you have to take into account of the fun factor. But when you present a game where weight and foot planting are involved...it tends to slow the game down and not fun anymore to play with because as a player, you're not able to do what you want to do INSTANTLY like you can with NBA2K7.

I mean i don't mind having great physics with legit weight factor, ect. involved....BUT if it is slow and uncontrollable or laggy..it ain't good!

From what i play of the NBA2k10 Combine...i don't see much different to the speed of the game?? So i am not sold!!

Another thing about NBA2k8 and NBA2k9 is that why are they making the game easy to make the basket?? In NBA 2k7, it takes skills to make shot even at the line. Some players require u to release the ball earlier and some require to hold down longer. At the line, same thing, it takes skills to shoot and remember how each player shoot...and i remember i have to practice constantly to try to perfect each player unique shot. But man, 2k8 and 2k9 they screwed up!! When you're open...it's pretty much automatic...which is ashamed because it doesn't reward you for your skills at making shots. This is another reason i am pissed at 2k8 and 2k9. It seems the developers are making a conscious effort to make the game easier for the noobies because they suck at 2k7!! Perhaps to cash in as much as they can and the way to do it is making the game easier to shoot so kids can play it too!! What a shamed!

To this date, my 2k8 and 2k9 are sitting on the shelf collecting dust while i am STILL playing 2k7!! Go figure!!

# 49 jfsolo @ 08/31/09 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq

...To this date, my 2k8 and 2k9 are sitting on the shelf collecting dust while i am STILL playing 2k7!! Go figure!!
Not to rain on your parade, but my guess is that that 2K10 is probably not going to be for you because the speed will probably be a lot slower than 2K9. The foot planting and weight will probably be even more of a factor than ever.

Most sports developers are going in the direction of having authenticity be the source of the fun factor, instead of lightning fast, twitch based, User control always outweighing the players skill set, governing gameplay. I for one am glad that is the case.

# 50 TreyIM2 @ 08/31/09 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRice
Wish we could see this stuff in action instead of reading it.
My sentiments exactly but what I haven't read before is how you'll be able to roll the ball up the court when trying to preserve clock on an inbound. Nice touch.

# 51 TreyIM2 @ 08/31/09 08:19 PM
Also, anyone hear anything on when the demo drops? I know the PSN gets the combine this week, finally, but it's not the same. Any word?

# 52 ffaacc03 @ 08/31/09 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Not to rain on your parade, but my guess is that that 2K10 is probably not going to be for you because the speed will probably be a lot slower than 2K9. The foot planting and weight will probably be even more of a factor than ever.

Most sports developers are going in the direction of having authenticity be the source of the fun factor, instead of lightning fast, twitch based, User control always outweighing the players skill set, governing gameplay. I for one am glad that is the case.
you are right about reptile and by doing games the sim way (wich I like most too), this approach opens another nich or window of potential profits in terms of games like BIGS and STREET that focus prominently on the "fun" factor.

# 53 reptilexcq @ 08/31/09 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

That's where the problem lie...because i am ABSOLUTELY certain that they can create a game that run fast like 2K7 and still maintain the physics weight factor whatever they want to throw in and for whatever reason they're not doing that. I don't know if i say this correctly but i do feel that 2k7 speed is more real and i don't feel the speed of 2k8 and 2k9 even as some claim it's fast. I don't know if it have to do with the dimension of the court or the size or whatever...i am just not feeling the speed. And i mean seriously, if you go watch a REAL NBA game right now in real full motion video and then come back and watch 2k8 and 2k9...the speed is not even close...it's more like 2k7. Maybe i guess 2k7 is easy to control the player and pretty much do whatever you want with him?? It's more quicker to move here and there...like you want it. 2k8 and 2k9, you're not feeling that at all......sorry!

# 54 jmood88 @ 08/31/09 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
This sounds good, and I trust Jon Robinson a lot more than most other sports game reviewers. I was happy that he mentioned how nice the halfcourt movement is.. too bad he didn't mention anything about the help defense really, since that was the primary concern Chase voiced on the build he played. Glad to see a very positive review on a more recent build though. Wait and see, wait and see.
Quote:
I was amazed at how everything from the player spacing to the defensive rotations and the way inside shots are contested

# 55 Goffs @ 08/31/09 08:34 PM
I don't even remember 2k7s speed but then again I don't remember much of 2k7....I for one love the new game speed for 2k10!

# 56 XenoZograscope @ 08/31/09 08:38 PM
The article was nice, lets just hope everything we read in previous weeks stay true to its word once the game drops. Im just waiting for some visual proof and not word of mouth.

# 57 The 24th Letter @ 08/31/09 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88

dont waste your time mood lol

Quote:
I even saw Jameer Nelson miss a game-winning shot against the Lakers, and as Kobe walked toward the locker room, he had this smirk on his face like he knew he just got away with one. It might sound small, but details like this really add to the value of the game and individuality of the players, especially if you're a hard-core hoops fan.
you gotta be kidding me lol

awesome preview ...time for some GAMEPLAY!

# 58 bigballa21 @ 08/31/09 09:22 PM
it's crazy that some people can still find something negative to say about this game

# 59 Goffs @ 08/31/09 09:31 PM
All people have to do is bring up how bad 2k9 did this and that from there they just ignore what's coming up for 2k10 lol

I trust what's Rob Jones is doing and its evident in the combine....it feels like choops2k8 on how you're able to dribble past the guy without being felt like stopped by a brick wall...

# 60 cam21224 @ 08/31/09 09:36 PM
the defensive rotations and the way inside shots are contested (virtual Dwight Howard, in particular, swatted virtual Pau Gasol back to Spain)

Best part of the article period!!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.