Home
News Post

According to Kotaku, we might see the Gran Turismo 5 demo on December 17th.

Quote:
"Sony announced today that, come December 17, we'll be able to play a Gran Turismo 5 demo. Probably.

See, there's a little confusion as to whether this is a GT5 demo or just some new, GT5-flavoured content sprinkled atop the existing GT5 Prologue. The download is called the "Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge" in the US, and in Europe, "GT Academy 2010". Not, as you'd think it'd be called, the "Gran Turismo 5 Demo."

Member Comments
# 21 mikenoob @ 12/17/09 10:56 PM
Wow #1 time is 1:36:###

My time is supposed to be 1:43, but I forgot to click exit time trial for it to save. As of now it's 1:44. I ran so many laps, I wanna see how the #1 guy did it.

# 22 bcruise @ 12/17/09 11:41 PM
Man, it takes NO effort at all to fishtail this car...guess I'd better download Prologue again or I'll be hopeless by the time the real thing comes out.

Best so far is 1:48, but I know I can do better than that.

# 23 DirtyJerz32 @ 12/18/09 12:09 AM
So is this just a time trial of GT5 or of the Prologue

# 24 DirtyJerz32 @ 12/18/09 09:27 AM
After playing for about 2 hours last night I've come to conclussion that this game is going to be best played with the wheels. Either that or they made it very difficult to control your car. The slightest push of the left stick had my car fish tailing all over the track.

Anyone else get the same thoughts?

# 25 Kruza @ 12/18/09 09:56 AM
Hey guys,

Which Nissan car is the one you guys are driving on the GT5 demo? Is it the GT-R or a lesser-powered model of a Skyline? Or maybe it's the Nismo 370Z? I'm guessing here, but from what I'm reading in this thread it seems to be the 370Z that's on the demo as it's known for being one of the very best cars for drifting. However, I can't forget that the GT-R is highly capable of drifting with ease itself.

Kruza

# 26 DirtyJerz32 @ 12/18/09 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
Hey guys,

Which Nissan car is the one you guys are driving on the GT5 demo? Is it the GT-R or a lesser-powered model of a Skyline? Or maybe it's the Nismo 370Z? I'm guessing here, but from what I'm reading in this thread it seems to be the 370Z that's on the demo as it's known for being one of the very best cars for drifting. However, I can't forget that the GT-R is highly capable of drifting with ease itself.

Kruza
If I was home I would confirm but, I'm not. Anyone else?

# 27 bkfount @ 12/18/09 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
After playing for about 2 hours last night I've come to conclussion that this game is going to be best played with the wheels. Either that or they made it very difficult to control your car. The slightest push of the left stick had my car fish tailing all over the track.

Anyone else get the same thoughts?
like I said a few posts up, it's set on professional physics for the GT Academy time trial. That virtually requires a wheel. The full game will also have standard physics for the controller users, so this isn't really a "demo" in the traditional sense. they should have made this more clear, as some people will play this and get pissed off.

# 28 koebner @ 12/22/09 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
like I said a few posts up, it's set on professional physics for the GT Academy time trial. That virtually requires a wheel. The full game will also have standard physics for the controller users, so this isn't really a "demo" in the traditional sense. they should have made this more clear, as some people will play this and get pissed off.
Count me among those pissed off.The un-tuned car felt like driving a taxi in a snow storm.The challenge is fake,a real 370 handles better than this.

The graphics are surprisingly underwhelming,especially compared with Forza.

# 29 bukktown @ 12/23/09 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koebner
Count me among those pissed off.The un-tuned car felt like driving a taxi in a snow storm.The challenge is fake,a real 370 handles better than this.

Yeah. I was stunned by the visual blandness.

# 30 Blzer @ 12/23/09 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koebner

I'm really hoping it just has something to do with it being a demo, because I was hoping for this game to simply have the best graphics of all time. So far, I'm unimpressed myself.

# 31 Artman22 @ 12/23/09 04:54 AM
The demo was disapointment for me. Forza feels like it's way ahead of this game, and that's something very surprising to say because i was a die hard GT fan.

# 32 rspencer86 @ 12/23/09 02:20 PM
I would like to hear what the thinking was to releasing this. It is extremely underwhelming and (I hope) not indicitive of what the final version will look or play like. This sneak peek might actually do more harm than good.

# 33 videobastard @ 12/23/09 03:39 PM
Not impressed with the demo. They should of just waited to release a more polished demo. The physics were set on too high of a difficulty. It felt like trying to turn on ice. The graphics looked worse then prologue. This demo did more good for forza 3 then it did gt5.

# 34 Hellisan @ 12/30/09 03:15 AM
I don't have a PS3 but I just wanted to say that it amazes me how far they've fallen in terms of the respect they garner. I was a PS1/ps2 guy and always loved the Gran Turismo series. In fact it took me a helluva long time to be convinced to buy a 360 simply because I wanted to have the GT series in my library.

Gran Turismo seems to have taken themselves so seriously that they just can't make games come to fruition anymore. Is it correct that Turn 10 has released two, or even three, great games since the last time DP put out a full title?

I can't believe how things have turned...

will you even be able to customize the appearance of cars in Gran Turismo 5?

# 35 Blzer @ 12/31/09 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
If you guys are judging the full game by the demo in any way you will most likely be very pleasantly suprised when the real game comes out. The demo was most likely released just to shut the fanboys up for awhile and play with people's heads a bit by lowering people's expectations and blowing them away in the spring. I would be shocked if the demo closely resembles the full game in any way.

It's like MW2, a demo is not really necessary for this game, it's gonna sell regardless. The designers are just ****ing with people or they wouldn't have released a demo with just the pro physics that make it virtually unplayable. The way they kept teasing a release date the last 2 years shows these guys seem to have a warped sense of humour and this demo falls in line with that.
I genuinely feel the exact same, but I certainly hope they come through as well. Look, the demo was very small in size, and I mean very small in size. Having seen other screenshots, I believe that the graphics are going to destroy what we saw in the demo. Plus, with NASCAR and Rally series', this game will have far too much depth to pass up anyway.

Unfortunately for these guys though, I guarantee you that many reviewers are going to put a hit in the score because of how long it took to come out. This should not be a factor in the game's overall review, unless they make a point with it by saying something like, "They had this much time to work on it and they couldn't fix/implement feature X? Not good." That's different. But to be harsh on a game for not releasing earlier is not the way to go, and I hope that if the game itself deserves a 10.0 then it gets a 10.0, and not a 9.4 because of being delayed so long.

# 36 Whitesox @ 12/31/09 04:42 PM
I'm not worried yet, because this is just a very, very small fraction of the game. I don't even know if I would call it a demo. (Although by definition I guess it is)

# 37 mikenoob @ 01/05/10 07:54 PM
I just got a time of 1:39:###.

"they wouldn't have released a demo with just the pro physics that make it virtually unplayable."

How is it virtually unplayable? I think it plays just fine with professional physics on. I'm also using a controller and plan on getting a wheel when this comes out.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.