Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

In this video from NFL.com, Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley and Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugua are the first to get their Madden NFL 11 headshots created with EA's new 3-D pod.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 oneamongthefence @ 01/29/10 04:06 PM
Any kind of improvement excites me tho.

# 42 CatMan72 @ 01/29/10 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I'll probably get slammed, but I don't care...

I'm tired of hearing about gameplay. I really am. It's not that I don't appreciate it or want a good game to play, but for the first time in years, I like Madden. I think Madden 10's gameplay is fine--I enjoy it, despite a bare bones franchise mode.

Is the game perfect? Nope, but it's fun.

People have literally been complaining about gameplay for ten years in football video games. It's never going to be perfect, and I accept that. What keeps me coming back is the immersion factor. The fact that my team looks real, my backups take a significant hit in quality compared to my starters, that my players properly progress when appropriate, and that I feel like I'm playing in a living, breathing stadium and league.

I definitely like a challenge in games, and that does go back to gameplay, but I'm not popping in Madden because I can't wait to see the blocking schemes. I play it because it's fun, that it feels fairly authentic, and that the cut scenes, sounds, graphics, franchise mode, and yes--player faces--give me an enhanced experience that I otherwise haven't had since 2K5.

Gameplay is great. With that said, great gameplay mixed with mediocre immersion will kill my replay value.
Agree, I play Madden because I want an authentic NFL experience and 50% of that is accomplished visually through touches like uniform accuracy, player faces, etc.

EA could save themselves allot of $$ by making a generic football game, but they realize that 50% of what people are buying in Madden is NFL authenticity... "if it's in the game, it's in the game" doesn't just mean blocking schemes and playbooks.

# 43 TheWatcher @ 01/29/10 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
Seriously... who really needs authentic 3D game faces... fix the gameplay first then worry about fluff.

just my $.02
Video games aren't developed that way, and thank God because we'd still be playing with stick figures.

Games are developed in teams, and that means the people who work on gameplay mechanics aren't doing art and vice versa. So, there is no need to cut back on any of this. Remember, the people doing art are getting a paycheck to do just art and I'm pretty sure they don't wanna see cuts taking place anywhere, since if there are no advancements in their area they're out of a job.

# 44 Felipe526 @ 01/29/10 07:53 PM
this shouldn't be a #1 priority but it is a good step to maing this version better. last year they made matt ryan have jet black hair and players' heads dissapear randomly. IMO my main concern isn't the gameplay, but instead the restricted franchise mode. mic ten's gameplay and 06's franchise options and that would be my ultimate madden.

# 45 MattIntellect @ 01/30/10 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
Has anyone ever thought of this? Maybe they are planning on having player interviews and celebrations post game, pre-game, half time, etc etc. And possibly bringing back the helmets getting knocked off among other types of elements where player's faces are needed to be correct. Ever thought of this? I highly doubt EA would ever spend that kind of money to capture 3d faces if they planned on the faces staying inside of the helmets the entire time. Think out side the box guys, quit being so narrow minded. I see this as a positive thing, not a negative thing.
I'd hate to shoot this down, but Ian said that they already had the technology to allow helmets to come off during games. They were unable to use it due to NFL restrictions. Hopefully the NFL loosened up on that a bit this year, but as of right now, I would not get my hopes up too high just yet.

# 46 reo @ 01/30/10 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan72
Agree, I play Madden because I want an authentic NFL experience and 50% of that is accomplished visually through touches like uniform accuracy, player faces, etc.

EA could save themselves allot of $$ by making a generic football game, but they realize that 50% of what people are buying in Madden is NFL authenticity... "if it's in the game, it's in the game" doesn't just mean blocking schemes and playbooks.
So true. Regardless, let them complain.

It's already been stated that there is not enough space on the disc to put the ridiculous amount of code required to get NFL AI intelligence in the game. The majority need to recognize that we are just getting the movie experience.

# 47 roadman @ 01/30/10 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Video games aren't developed that way, and thank God because we'd still be playing with stick figures.

Games are developed in teams, and that means the people who work on gameplay mechanics aren't doing art and vice versa. So, there is no need to cut back on any of this. Remember, the people doing art are getting a paycheck to do just art and I'm pretty sure they don't wanna see cuts taking place anywhere, since if there are no advancements in their area they're out of a job.
This needs to be restated. People tend to forget this.

# 48 kjcheezhead @ 01/30/10 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This needs to be restated. People tend to forget this.
Quote:
Exactly,
Just b/c they have seperate teams working on things, doesn't mean they are putting one above the other. Let the gameplay guys do what they do and let the art guys have fun w/ the 3-d Pod.
This is a game being developed for the purpose of making $. I'm sure like any good business they have a budget in place.

If they spend x amount of dollars on graphics/art design equipment for example, you don't have the money for the audio equipment needed and you end up with a nice looking game with a chopped up monotone Tom Hammond doing the play by play.

# 49 da ThRONe @ 01/30/10 12:32 PM
Its a lil too early to freak out. Just because they did this doesnt mean its a waste just yet. M10 had cut scenes in it so the player scans most likely wont be a complete waste especially if their looking to add more cut scenes.

But I do agree with the detractors that this could easily be a waste of resources. Sure there are different groups for different things but there is only so much money going into this game one way or the other and they need to invest wisely.

# 50 KBLover @ 01/30/10 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I definitely like a challenge in games, and that does go back to gameplay, but I'm not popping in Madden because I can't wait to see the blocking schemes. I play it because it's fun, that it feels fairly authentic, and that the cut scenes, sounds, graphics, franchise mode, and yes--player faces--give me an enhanced experience that I otherwise haven't had since 2K5.
Who's saying that they want Madden to just have good blocking schemes?

But to me, that's part of the gameplay AND immersion. If I can't run the ball like my real life team does because the linemen don't block like a NFL line would - that's going to make it hard to feel like I'm playing with my NFL team.

If I have to use Ray Rice to break a bunch of tackles so he can have the YPC he's capable of - that doesn't "feel real" to me. Ray Rice isn't a trucking back like Barber or Jacobs or any other power back, but if I have to use him like one because the blocking doesn't work right or the defense reacts unrealisticly (or not how their ratings would indicate) then that kills part of the immersion for me as well.

I'm all for improved graphics. I want both, though. I'd love to see Rice's real face on a cut scene or in a pre-game or the like, but I also want to be able to use him realistically on the field as well.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.