Home
Madden 2010 News Post

According to Kotaku and Ian Cummings, 350,000 people played Madden NFL 10 online once, to never return to another Madden 10 online game again. That is a crazy number, don't you think?

Quote:
"An estimated 350,000 people played last year's Madden NFL 10 once online and never played it online again, series creative director Ian Cummings recently told Kotaku.

He and publisher EA are mum on online multiplayer details for this summer's Madden NFL 11, but that's a number the creators of one of gaming's biggest franchises clearly wants to reduce.

More than a third of a million people dare to go online with a game and never try it a second time? Something or somethings are scaring them away."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 raz77 @ 04/26/10 10:18 PM
I'm probably part of that 350k. I don't really care if they fix up online though, I want offline franchise improvements.

I think a lot of people underestimate the number of offline players as obviously they don't have as much of a presence on the forums.

# 42 stlstudios189 @ 04/26/10 10:55 PM
I think that online is a great idea ruined by the people who use it. same with cell phones

# 43 Exonerated @ 04/26/10 11:41 PM
LAG
LAG
LAG
GLITCH
CHEESERS
LAG
DC
DC
DC

# 44 Joborule @ 04/27/10 12:37 AM
Not that surprising pf a number actually. Many go for the online roster update, and the game gives the non-sim style players too much of a advantage if they have stick skills. It's a huge turnoff for those gamers that want to look for a fair style game that they can be competitive in more times then not. Fair play is not the answer to this, infact that's going against the simulation mantra since restricting the coaches play calls is not sim. The game still needs to work on the fundamental foundations of football gameplay to make sim-style with adequate stick skills trump a person that doesn't play proper football.

Also the sever/lag doesn't help. People need to have really good connections to have a decent connection it seems.

Ultimately the more realistic and fun the gameplay is, the more that number will drop as more gamers will participate in online play more often.

# 45 DJ @ 04/27/10 12:57 AM
Not surprising since for some reason in Madden to get a roster update, you have to enter into an Online game.

I really don't understand that at all. On a related note, I also don't get why you need to have an XBL Gold Membership to access the EA Locker? It should be made available to everyone, regardless of level of membership.

# 46 Mr. Franchise @ 04/27/10 01:10 AM
PLEASE FIX OFFLINE FRANCHISE

# 47 Cnada @ 04/27/10 03:29 AM
Its soooooo simple

"LAG"

I live in Australia, the game online simply doesnt work even if its agaisnt my friend down the road.

I go online once a year after the game comes out, yep still broken and i play offline 100%

# 48 kmart2180 @ 04/27/10 03:38 AM
Simple- Update roster/ play offline franchise.

I don't know if they realize that there biggest fan base if us Franchise guys. Although the truth is if me and 3 friends could ever co-op (ON THE SAME TEAM) in a franchise. We'd be online all the time. It actually would save us all the trip that we make each week in order for us to play our 4 (ON THE SAME TEAM) franchise.

Wishful thinking, some day it will happen

# 49 MaddenFranchise10 @ 04/27/10 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franchise
Screen pass spam. Never played again.
This. Plus lag.

# 50 briax87 @ 04/27/10 04:55 AM
I was one of them, main reason was lag. Can't understand how a game can be that laggy these days, it's as if they're using the same networking code from the first madden that had online (whichever one it was) and decided not to improve on it :/

# 51 Exonerated @ 04/27/10 04:57 AM
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

Up 21-3 with 2 minutes to go in the First half and the opponent DISCONNECTS.

Now i've wasted 30 minutes of my life.

# 52 Valdarez @ 04/27/10 04:57 AM
They don't have their own servers, it's all point to point connections when you play a game, with one of your consoles acting as the server. If there's lag, then it means their not doing a good job matching players before launching the game launches.

# 53 ryan36 @ 04/27/10 08:14 AM
I played some dude online once. All he did was throw in the flat to percy harvin, and then move his right defensive end out to a spot on the left side of the LOLB.

All this could probably be countered, somehow. But I'm not like a lot of people on OS, I don't feel like googling all the counters to cheese.

So I said **** this. It wasn't fun.

I didn't want to play a "ranked " game in my first ever game online, so I was left picking random idiots to play.

# 54 ODogg @ 04/27/10 09:20 AM
Exonerated - sorry but that's not lag, that's someone who just can't handle losing, which is 95% of the online football players.

# 55 slickdtc @ 04/27/10 09:27 AM
I'm one of those 350,000+ as well. But my reason is because I did not want to download the patch. I felt the statistics were more realistic without the final patch, and I didn't want to go back to Madden 06's stats engine where there would be 2-3 2000 yard rushers a season. I just upgraded from that game, I don't want to go back to it! I do have the itch to try out the patch because of the gameplay tweaks they made, but it's not worth sacrificing some franchise realism. I think the game played decently enough for my liking without screwing up the rushing yardage leaders.

# 56 mavfan21 @ 04/27/10 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Maybe this would be a sign to concentrate on offline franchise?

AMEN, HERE, HERE, AGREED, YES, WHAT HE SAID, and LIKE!!!

BTW- Get your guns up!

# 57 will12203 @ 04/27/10 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Fair play needs a comeback.

Either that or there needs to be a percentage statistic for things like "goes for it on forth down" so that people can search for users to play with based on the percentage they go for it on fourth down. Would just make it easier to find games with people that play fair when your friends on your friends list aren't on...
I totally agree go Bills man!!!!!

# 58 will12203 @ 04/27/10 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I am in the monority because I enjoyed my online experience both online franchise and random opponents. I love beating cheese with sim solutions.

true I enjoy that too but losing to cheese is the worse

# 59 ODogg @ 04/27/10 10:19 AM
You know I have as much issues as anyone with online Madden but this stat isn't that shocking, I'll bet almost every other online game, Modern Warfare, NHL, whatever, is going to have a stat like this. The simple fact is a lot of people get a game, go online just to see how it's different and then that's it, they just go back to playing online. This number is not a damning indictment of Madden by any means IMO.

# 60 ODogg @ 04/27/10 10:19 AM
go back to offline i meant..

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.