Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

Tecmo Bowl Throwback is now available on the Marketplace and should be available for the PS3 tomorrow. Post your impressions here.

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 301 CaptainZombie @ 05/08/10 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
Smooth as I can't believe it's not butter.
LOL! Sounds good. I might just get this for the SP and then can play against my friend since neither of us will rage quit, but just worried about the lag.

# 302 TheWatcher @ 05/08/10 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Leonard Russell is pretty good, right?
Not really. He's not very fast and has no breakaway speed. I'm in trouble.

# 303 steelersfan7 @ 05/08/10 01:26 PM
Well after a week of gaming and 1 season in the books the only thing that gets me is the online play lag when joining a game, hope they patch this. Also too bad they couldn't make a "juice" version so the beginning weeks would be a little harder when using a good team, all of you from tecmo repository know what I mean. Also I wish that when you switch to 2D it would be the 8 bit nintendo version, that would be nice. And I wish it was the NES tecmo super bowl rosters with Bo Jackson and buffed Okoye instead of the SNES ones. All in all still a great game for 10 bucks.

# 304 TheWatcher @ 05/08/10 01:39 PM
Won three in a row, won the division, and finished 12-4.

# 305 steelersfan7 @ 05/08/10 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Won three in a row, won the division, and finished 12-4.
Just started with Indy, just lost to Dallas, Emmitt ran wild. Lost 23-7. 5-1 now.
Previous season 15-1 with Pittsburgh, lost to Houston in divisional 17-14.

# 306 hyacinth1 @ 05/08/10 06:17 PM
finished up my first season and it was fun. But I'll probably never play this game again. It was a good game for what it is, but I have no passion to go thru 16 games plus playoffs.

One thing i did do is put madden back in and play in broadcast cam, which makes it look like tecmo. really started to enjoy madden again in that camera mode. give it a try. Just was hard using tecmo A/B button controls for madden

# 307 TheWatcher @ 05/08/10 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan7
Just started with Indy, just lost to Dallas, Emmitt ran wild. Lost 23-7. 5-1 now.
Previous season 15-1 with Pittsburgh, lost to Houston in divisional 17-14.
Houston is too good in the playoffs. I barely escaped against them. In reality, the playoffs are just crazy difficult. The CPU completes passes against full double and triple coverage.

# 308 Valdarez @ 05/08/10 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
finished up my first season and it was fun. But I'll probably never play this game again. It was a good game for what it is, but I have no passion to go thru 16 games plus playoffs.

One thing i did do is put madden back in and play in broadcast cam, which makes it look like tecmo. really started to enjoy madden again in that camera mode. give it a try. Just was hard using tecmo A/B button controls for madden
Never understood why another football game didn't use the Tecmo/Broadcast view. I really enjoy that view/perspective.

# 309 KBLover @ 05/09/10 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Never understood why another football game didn't use the Tecmo/Broadcast view. I really enjoy that view/perspective.
Wasn't it Madden waaaay back in the day that first did away with the side view?

I think everyone has copied it since.

And, wow, no patch - not even for the lag issues? Yep, no buying for me. That sealed it.

# 310 Valdarez @ 05/09/10 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Wasn't it Madden waaaay back in the day that first did away with the side view?

I think everyone has copied it since.

And, wow, no patch - not even for the lag issues? Yep, no buying for me. That sealed it.
Yeah, no patch. I hope everyone tweets TecmoGames to let them know your thoughts on it.

Good question about the side view. What was the football game on 3D0? It wasn't Madden was it? That's the first 3D game of football I remember playing myself. Could be bad memory. My internal ROM chips are faulty.

# 311 Valdarez @ 05/09/10 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Young
Tonight, I discovered that this game is exponentially better in 2D while under the influence of a certain leafy green substance that may or may not be legally available in your area. I have a feeling I'll be blazing through this competitive season.
I drink tea all the time. I'm pretty sure it's legally available in all of the continental states.

I've played the 2D game for years in there on my NES, but for some reason, I just can't stand it on the 360. I think the size of the television is the main culprit as it's a 65" in the living room versus the 27" in the bedroom where I've played Tecmo Super Bowl here and there. The 3D/360 graphics are superbly better on the living room television. Otherwise, I have 2 inch pixels, which are too blocky to enjoy.

# 312 Matt Young @ 05/09/10 07:18 PM
Yeah man, that tea is something else. The Chinese folks certainly knew what they were doing when they first brewed it all those years ago.

I always liked the 3D mode better, too, even though I generally prefer 2D graphics when given a choice. But most of my friends/league mates use 2D, so I figured I'd try to get used to it. I don't hate it anymore.

# 313 TheWatcher @ 05/11/10 02:57 PM
Well, that's the end of my season. After narrowly escaping Houston in the Divisional playoff 17 to 14, and then escaping Buffalo 5 to nothing (yes FIVE to ZERO) in the Conference title game, I was taken down by Philadelphia in the Tecmo Bowl, 23 to nothing.

I can't complain because they beat me fair and square. They jumped on a fumble on the first series and never looked back, then Herschel and Randall ran wild, and every time I got into their territory there was a fumble or some kind of crazy interception (okay so the INT thing is a bit of a complaint, lol).

Anyway, good season, good game. I'll be back for more soon.

# 314 McLite @ 05/13/10 04:37 AM
Has anyone won a competitive season? There is some serious BS that goes on about playoff time.

I got there with Houston and then got creamed by KC...a team I beat during the regular season (I think). Every WR was covered and Neil Smith must have been excellent because every single pass play he was in the backfield after plowing over my OT. I did get across the 50 twice...but fumbled twice.

Very frustrating...not as fun as I remember when I was 13. Is casual like the old STB?

# 315 ODogg @ 05/13/10 09:26 AM
Valdarez-Madden was the football game on the 3DO. I bought it for Madden.

# 316 Valdarez @ 05/13/10 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Valdarez-Madden was the football game on the 3DO. I bought it for Madden.
Was it? Couldn't remember. It was awesome for it's time. Controls were a little clunky, but the graphics were amazing. I was a poor kid in college at the time working 2 jobs, so didn't have a 3DO, but I played it at friends house. Speaking of which, I have a little guilt there, as I was only friends with the guy for his 3DO and that football game. heh

# 317 Valdarez @ 05/13/10 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
Has anyone won a competitive season? There is some serious BS that goes on about playoff time.

I got there with Houston and then got creamed by KC...a team I beat during the regular season (I think). Every WR was covered and Neil Smith must have been excellent because every single pass play he was in the backfield after plowing over my OT. I did get across the 50 twice...but fumbled twice.

Very frustrating...not as fun as I remember when I was 13. Is casual like the old STB?
Best thing to do to with out is go passing, pick the pass you can complete even if they call it (which means all shotgun), and run out of bounds before you get tackled each and every time. It's the only way to guarantee you won't get a fumble, which is how the game makes sure the games are tight.

# 318 McLite @ 05/14/10 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Best thing to do to with out is go passing, pick the pass you can complete even if they call it (which means all shotgun), and run out of bounds before you get tackled each and every time. It's the only way to guarantee you won't get a fumble, which is how the game makes sure the games are tight.
Ya I remember that trick from days of old...but it seems even more jacked up on competitive mode. Oh well it was still a blast from the past to play this game again.

# 319 TheWatcher @ 05/14/10 09:25 AM
Quote:
Well, that's the end of my season. After narrowly escaping Houston in the Divisional playoff 17 to 14, and then escaping Buffalo 5 to nothing (yes FIVE to ZERO) in the Conference title game, I was taken down by Philadelphia in the Tecmo Bowl, 23 to nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beankyu
Well, that's the end of my season. After narrowly escaping Houston in the Divisional playoff 17 to 14, and then escaping Buffalo 5 to nothing (yes FIVE to ZERO) in the Conference title game, I was taken down by Philadelphia in the Tecmo Bowl, 23 to nothing

?

# 320 Valdarez @ 05/14/10 04:15 PM
Quote:

?
Looks like spam.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.