Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Don't know what "Swagger" is? Check it out here.

If the embedded code doesn't work, click here.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 djordan @ 07/01/10 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Unless there is something I am missing, I have yet to see any NEW impact Swagger has on Madden NFL 11.

These celbrations were already in Madden 10, and played out in Madden 10. That wasn't the problem. the problem was that the presentation didn't show them as often as it should. Jared Allen would get the sack and do his hog tie and we would see two linebackers bump each other in the presentation. If you went back to the replay, or paused the action early enough, you would see Allen in his Hog tie pose.

Similarly, I have only seen randy Moss do his Part the Defense animation twice when I have played Madden 10. I don't miss 09's blue boxes, but I miss being able to choose your own celebrations. This way I was sure to do the TD dance I wanted, if I even wanted to do one. After a Pick 6 on a pass to Randy Moss, i want to be abel to do the Part the Defense celebration to taunt him. I could do that in 09, I can't in M10 or 11. Sad face.
Co-Sign...People that say they like this answer this....

What is too like when this was in Madden 10? This is just basic touchdown/ Post play celebrations. What is new about this "Swagger" video I should get excited about?

# 62 rrrdawg2 @ 07/01/10 08:10 AM
So lemme get this straight, Madden has many game flaws that have plagued the series for years: Rocket catching, Morphing, Suction blocking, Bad physics, Bad animations, Bad ratings, etc.

What does EA focus on? Shortening game times, Easier to use playbooks, Locomotion (which if it is anything like in NCAA 11 demo, ins't something to be completely proud of yet), and Swagger.

I don't mind playing a longer game, I had no trouble with the old playbooks, and Locomotion just isn't there yet (using NCAA 11 demo as a judge.) How about fixing what's already broken BEFORE making new things? I'd rather buy Madden if it's back of the box feature literally stated: "Madden 11: Glitches Fixed" and that's it. EA, just step your game up. Literally.

# 63 slickdtc @ 07/01/10 09:20 AM
This seems like one of those things that should just be in the game. It shouldn't be touted as a feature and it shouldn't be used as a rating. Special teamers celebrate after every tackle, and they're the worst players (well, typically backups) on the whole team. You don't need a rating to celebrate, that's for sure!

This is just a "Madden" feature in my book. Easy ammunition for those who want the meat & potatoes (gameplay) fixed and don't care for all the gravy.

# 64 HealyMonster @ 07/01/10 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Co-Sign...People that say they like this answer this....

What is too like when this was in Madden 10? This is just basic touchdown/ Post play celebrations. What is new about this "Swagger" video I should get excited about?
well I know specifically that CJ celebration is actually a custom celebration and its new so, thats "new" but im not sure you really need to be excited about it.

# 65 TheWatcher @ 07/01/10 09:58 AM
It appears that it has to do with whether a player will celebrate or not (or how they'll celebrate) in a given situation. Man, I've been asking for this since forever. I hated watching Marvin Harrison doing dances or Peyton Manning wiggling his body like a krump dancer (2K5) after running for a TD. It was ridiculous because they never did this in real life. So it sounds like this new rating is trying to address that. I like it a lot.

I hope it also translates to post-play, because not every player gets up and starts celebrating after a play. Not everyone has that kind of personality. I've felt for a long time like there should be a rating to reflect that.

On a related note, I saw an on-the-way-to-the-endzone point in a recent video that looked to be fixed from the one they had before (I called the old one the John Travolta). That's another thing I've been complaining about forever, so it's good to see this finally being addressed. I want to see something here every year. It's one of the emotional parts of making a play, you see it in every game in the NFL, so it should be taken seriously.

# 66 Unlucky 13 @ 07/01/10 11:20 AM
Quote:
Exactly how is "the engine falling apart"?
I would like to see the game get back to the levels that it was prior to the jump to the PS3 and 360. Gameplay is crawling back. Madden 10 was much better in this regard than 07 was. That game was nearly unplayable. Just as importantly, there have been so many features that were in the game back then that are still missing, and for me, were so much more important than something like swagger, which is nearly meaningless....

I suppose its all a point of view. I imagine that most of the guys who are all excited about this (and things like it) are younger. Guys like myself (Im 32), I think want more substance and less glitz.

# 67 ODogg @ 07/01/10 12:06 PM
As I said, I don't understand at all those of you who feel it should be in the game but don't like it being a rating. You can always disregard the rating completely if you wish. But having the rating means we can edit players and when we create our own we can create him with the swagger of our choice. Having the option is never a bad thing. The rating idea is a great one by EA.

The irony here is I can guarantee you if EA had this as a new feature and it was not a rating that could be edited you'd hear the community screaming bloody murder for the ability to edit it and demanding it be a rating...

# 68 Skyboxer @ 07/01/10 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I would like to see the game get back to the levels that it was prior to the jump to the PS3 and 360. Gameplay is crawling back. Madden 10 was much better in this regard than 07 was. That game was nearly unplayable. Just as importantly, there have been so many features that were in the game back then that are still missing, and for me, were so much more important than something like swagger, which is nearly meaningless....

I suppose its all a point of view. I imagine that most of the guys who are all excited about this (and things like it) are younger. Guys like myself (Im 32), I think want more substance and less glitz.

I'm 44 and I haven't had a FB game with the same depth and fun as Front Page Sports Football....

There are soooo many things I also feel should be in Madden, but hey they aren't.
Madden current gen has been for lack of a better term.... craptastic.

Madden 10 however gave the first indication we were finally going to get some improvements and a fun Madden game again. So that's where I'm at. Keep improving it and hopefully it will get better and better.

I was all for letting EA know my frustrations for a few years but seeing that they did turn it around the past year...I'll give them a tad more time to work it all out

Until I know exactly the In's and Out's of who works on what at EA I can't with any certainty of being correct say that adding this feature hurt another feature being added etc...

Either way I'll have fun...

# 69 roadman @ 07/01/10 12:07 PM
Is this advertised as a back of a box feature?

# 70 ODogg @ 07/01/10 12:08 PM
Oh im' sure it will be, it's going to appeal to the "young kids" that EA loves to target.

# 71 Pacman83 @ 07/01/10 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
As I said, I don't understand at all those of you who feel it should be in the game but don't like it being a rating. You can always disregard the rating completely if you wish. But having the rating means we can edit players and when we create our own we can create him with the swagger of our choice. Having the option is never a bad thing. The rating idea is a great one by EA.

The irony here is I can guarantee you if EA had this as a new feature and it was not a rating that could be edited you'd hear the community screaming bloody murder for the ability to edit it and demanding it be a rating...
Exactly, as The Watcher said, Peyton Manning doesn't do the Bankhead Bounce....so for the sake consistency make it controllable, hence the rating. As for those complaining that they wasted time to do this, do you really this they brought in the franchise guy and said "Hey, i want you to spend the next couple hours working in a new Swagger rating, the thing thats gonna sell this game!!! Forget months working on franchise mode, today is what matters!"....no, this took little time and resources, so get off it. So many acting like they "aren't trying" over there, if anything last years game should be a statement in itself...

Edit: they'll still market it, thats how things work...but a main focus? lol

# 72 stiffarmleft @ 07/01/10 01:03 PM
I'm all for anything that adds individuality to players, although I would have preferred additional ratings to further differentiate on field play.

# 73 jcofor25 @ 07/01/10 02:33 PM
swagger rating? kinda stupid but keeps the foofball's equivilent to "teabagging" to a minimum

# 74 spankdatazz22 @ 07/01/10 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
It appears that it has to do with whether a player will celebrate or not (or how they'll celebrate) in a given situation. Man, I've been asking for this since forever. I hated watching Marvin Harrison doing dances or Peyton Manning wiggling his body like a krump dancer (2K5) after running for a TD. It was ridiculous because they never did this in real life. So it sounds like this new rating is trying to address that. I like it a lot.
That would seem like a base programming issue though. No one would want to see Peyton Manning doing Adrian Petersen's TD celebration, for example. From what I saw in the video, they were just three custom celebrations. I guess it is good to have it editable, but not sure what a scale of 0-100 would represent - the player's likelihood that an unnecessary celebration should occur (when he should/shouldn't be doing it in the first place)? I think it was 2K5 or 2K4 that had editable customizable celebrations; would seem to be more appropriate in how it was described as affecting the overall presentation. I mean, what would be the difference in someone having a celebration rating of 40 versus 60 if the animation is programmed in regardless? If I'm understanding it correctly. Would seem to be better if it were a toggle-option. Perhaps that's why this whole "Old Spice Swagger" angle doesn't make sense to some. Personally I'm sure it's just a way of them making some extra cash. Not faulting them, but it's just another thing from Tiburon that comes off as kinda cheesy

# 75 Skyboxer @ 07/01/10 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcweezlestein
Soooooo they put this in the game this year but don't touch franchise mode.......lol ok ?
Who's "they"?
I'm assuming you know for a fact that whoever worked on this was also the group responsible for franchise...

Seriously how about adding something to the conversation other than a quick hit and run post.

# 76 Maniac-64- @ 07/01/10 06:46 PM
I am sure adding this Swagger rating is a lot easier to do than overhauling Franchise mode. Some of guys need to relax.

# 77 da ThRONe @ 07/01/10 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
That would seem like a base programming issue though. No one would want to see Peyton Manning doing Adrian Petersen's TD celebration, for example. From what I saw in the video, they were just three custom celebrations. I guess it is good to have it editable, but not sure what a scale of 0-100 would represent - the player's likelihood that an unnecessary celebration should occur (when he should/shouldn't be doing it in the first place)? I think it was 2K5 or 2K4 that had editable customizable celebrations; would seem to be more appropriate in how it was described as affecting the overall presentation. I mean, what would be the difference in someone having a celebration rating of 40 versus 60 if the animation is programmed in regardless? If I'm understanding it correctly. Would seem to be better if it were a toggle-option. Perhaps that's why this whole "Old Spice Swagger" angle doesn't make sense to some. Personally I'm sure it's just a way of them making some extra cash. Not faulting them, but it's just another thing from Tiburon that comes off as kinda cheesy
While I agree this could have easily been a hidden rating. Why hide it when you can get paid to show it?

# 78 Millennium @ 07/01/10 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Who's "they"?
I'm assuming you know for a fact that whoever worked on this was also the group responsible for franchise...

Seriously how about adding something to the conversation other than a quick hit and run post.
He won't have the chance to, as he has been banned.

Guys, the stickied post at the top of the forum is serious. Constructive posts. Not blind bashing.

# 79 nhiverson @ 07/01/10 07:28 PM
Heres the TD dance CJ does in the madden vid but done by Sims-Walker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khZblvkHRm4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgIq5...eature=related another

Then CJ vs the Rams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckT7AUUB7Hc

Madden gots it looking close to how its done but it looks fast like someone else said.

# 80 spankdatazz22 @ 07/01/10 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
While I agree this could have easily been a hidden rating. Why hide it when you can get paid to show it?
I said I didn't fault them for trying to make more money - I was saying it is what it is. Additional options are usually always welcome. I didn't understand how the video correlated to the rating. The celebrations are things those players do. Emotion is something almost all NFL players show. If Peyton Manning is programmed in such a way that he's going to breakdance after throwing a TD pass, I don't see how a 0-100 rating helps - it's just something he's not supposed to be doing. From what I can tell you really can't control how a player celebrates, just how often he does it. Unless I'm missing something.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.