Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

EA Sports have posted a new NBA Elite 11 defensive blog.

Quote:
"This year we’ve spoken a lot about “Hands-On Control” and how it relates to shooting, dribbling and Post Play but we haven’t given you a ton of info on defense in NBA ELITE 11. Our goals for defense this year were simple:

- Ensure “Hands-On Control” applied to defense just as much as offense.
- Reward defenders for good positioning using the new Real Physics system
- Provide the user the tools to be proactive on defense.
- And most importantly - making defense fun to play.

Mistakes of the past – In previous basketball games there have been many gimmicks and features that allowed you to guard the ball but took the control completely out of your hands. Features like the “hold a button down and let the AI play defense for you”. Or, using 2 player animations as a crutch to stop the dribbler from getting to the basket – taking control away from both the offense and defense. Features like this aren’t fun, remove any element of skill from the game and limit the user’s ability to control the player. All reasons for a new approach to playing defense.

On Ball Defense – the most important aspect of defense is guarding the ball. This year we’ve developed a great system for dribbling the ball using a combination of the left and right analog sticks. This gives the offensive player the ability to pull off any type of dribble move, at any time, in any direction, while always maintaining user control. It’s a very powerful game play mechanic that could have been very unbalanced had we not put the same emphasis on guarding the ball."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 NoTiCe_O @ 09/17/10 04:20 PM
I learned some things in that blog that i didn't know about that I will definitely take advantage of on D..

For one, I didn't kno that the defensive slide worked in defferent directions, so if i time it right i can lunge at the ball and swipe it right out a ya hands

Also the right that you can roll it down like the opposite of a layup and choose which hand you want to reach with, which will be very useful.

Its like they give you every option available to you in real life defense and translate it to the controls. For someone who plays basketball alot like myself this is perfect, I can mimic the strategies i use in real life defense (one on one as opposed to team defense) and put it into the game. I like what they're doing with these controls, and i think this game has crazy potential to be great.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.