Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

We have just posted our NBA 2K11 review.

Quote:
"When you boot up NBA 2K11 the first time, he is there to greet you. His Airness emerging from the tunnel, "Sirius" by the Alan Parsons Project (Bulls introduction theme song) playing at the Chicago Stadium, and the PA announcer introducing the players to an audience that I was now a part of despite being behind a TV screen. It was Jordan, it was June 1991, and it was Magic all over again.

This phenomenal intro was a great way to start off the NBA 2K11 experience, and it also set the tone for what the game has to offer this year.

This opening sequence capsulized the fact that the developers at 2K Sports team were up to the challenges that came with using one of the most popular sports figures in history as a cover athlete for their top franchise.

Meeting the expectations that come with creating an authentic Jordan experience would have been enough, but 2K Sports didn't stop there. NBA 2K11 dared to go even beyond that and put together the most compelling basketball video game to date. Just like MJ had done throughout his career, NBA 2K11 sought out greatness."

Read More - NBA 2K11 Review Written By: TD St. Matthew-Daniel

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 lv2bll @ 10/08/10 08:17 PM
A great review for the best sports game of all time,at least till nfl 2k13 comes out that is.

# 2 JkA3 @ 10/08/10 08:22 PM
Very nicely written review.

# 3 DR Russell @ 10/08/10 09:31 PM
Great review although this game, for its amazing gameplay should be at least a 9.5.

# 4 bigsmallwood @ 10/08/10 09:41 PM
Nice review! I give the game a 9.7 though!

# 5 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 10/08/10 10:59 PM
Good stuff. Online has certainly improved (thankfully)

# 6 80tiesBaBy @ 10/08/10 11:00 PM
Best game ever made hands down.once online is tweaked its going over da top.Great review 9.5 though.lol

# 7 CJBEeZy @ 10/08/10 11:40 PM
This game would receive a close to perfect score from me if (the players didn't run like big men with "low" ball-handling when using turbo....and if the NBA logo was on the "outside" of the right sock like its supposed to be,instead of the inside) "How could 2k miss this"....Oh n another thing I "love" that we get to wear 40 different pairs of Jordans but I "hate" that on sum of the Jordans theres a glitch that only allows 2 colors to show up on the shoe when customizing when it should be 3....Overall I ain't played any of my other games since I got 2k11 lol

# 8 taqiyya @ 10/09/10 12:03 AM
Great review, I agree with everything that was mentioned. Great game gets a great review.

# 9 BlackRome @ 10/09/10 12:09 AM
Let's hold the applause.

Have you actually played a human. Cherry picking is back. How many times are they going to release a game with this cheat.

Playing the AI offline. It's nice. Stepping out into the real world. Not so nice. You might want to play a few humans before you decide how great a game is.

The dribbling system does not represent the NBA. . Basketball is a game of quickness, ball movement, and the ability to use your dribble or first step.

Quickness:
This game feels like one of the old NBA LIve's in regards to player movement. Sluggish. 2k9ish.

They didn't make it more sim. They just made the game slower.

In the NBA you can make a move left or right even if you don't have the space. You do not go into a frenzy bumping into your man outside the paint. In the NBA. That's called a foul. Reminds me of 2k9 again. .

They have continued to slow down the speed of the game since 2k8. It's a mistake.
I'm seeing things that I have to wait for to react to. So much for quickness .

Ball Movement.
Running a play still takes forever. At least online the play selection comes up whenever I want it to.

Offline the play option does not come up every time you call for it. You have to pass the ball then pass it back to your PG and hopefully this time when you hit the pad your play option will appear.

Passing is terrible. I swear there is a delay but it's not. The game is just sluggish.

First Step/Dribbling.

You barely want to touch the stick because any move will result in two or three steps towards a certain direction I don't want after the pause.Lord help you on defense. We used to call this skating . Every year it seems as though I have less and less control over my man.

2k8 had the best control. No skating. 2k10 was an improvement over 2k9 which introduced sluggish skating players to the 2k series.

Now we are back to 2k9 levels of control. You mentioned it in your review.

"My one qualm with dribbling moves is the effectiveness of the step-back dribble. The move often creates so much space that you can essentially go from around the charity stripe to the 3-point line in an instance "

That's happens because you have no control. I have used the step back move and I don't want to back up that far. Yet I'm watching my man skating and doing whatever animation I'm locked in until the animation finishes.

"My player could be fun."

The entire game could be more fun. They have slowed the game down to the point I no longer feel the speed of the NBA. I played with the Wizards while my friend played with the Bulls to see if we could feel any speed. Wall vs Rose.

The answer was a resounding no.

Now just to let you know I have been playing basketball games since the Atari. I have probably played close to 40,000 games of NBA 2k. I've played every version they have released. Not all online because I play in leagues offline and tournaments. I have been ranked in the top 10-150 every year. This is what I do and I do it for money. I'm an authority on this game.

Right now the game is just to slow, they changed the controls for the worst, and online still sucks.

Why move the hesitation move from the right trigger to the left trigger. The hesitation move was controlled by the right trigger since the original 2k on the Dreamcast. Why now after 10 years.

Right now I would rather play 2k10 over this version.

In my opinion the best versions of 2k were 2k1, 2k7, 2k8 and 2k10 on the PS3. On the 360 it was to easy to score in the paint. The PS3 version played a much better game of basketball than the 360.

This is not one of their best releases as far as game play.

The complaints are starting to come in over at the 2k website.

Right now it's comparing with one of it's worst releases game play wise. 2k9 which was to sluggish and made the spin move the move of choice.

That spin move is out of control this year just like 2k9. Must have something to do with all the skating.

You can't make razor cuts in this game like you do in real basketball. That's a problem.

If this was a Euro version of 2k it would be great since no one in the Euro league has a first step and they don't run isolations.

I don't feel like I have my feet firmly planted on the court.
Watching the movement of my player I completely understand why I feel that way.

The presentation has stepped up but the game play has not. It's a taken a step back from last year.

This site gave 2k9 a ranking of 9. Which was one of their worst releases.

Let's hold the applause for now because that game should have got a 7.

# 10 spankdatazz22 @ 10/09/10 12:42 AM
Nicely written review for the most part. I have to wonder given all 2K did, and how they've changed the dynamic for ALL sports games going forward - what would they have to do to warrant a 9.5? Chances are we'll never see this type of effort again, this unique a circumstance with Jordan. And I wonder if it's worth it, if in the end their graded no differently than Tiburon's Madden 11 effort. It's like NBA2K is never judged for everywhere it goes beyond what other sports games are attempting to do. I can see quibbling about a gameplay quirk here, or someone's face not being "perfect" there. But I'd think the areas where they go above and beyond what other developers do (additional gameplay options, customization, player characterization/personality, presentation, etc.) would help overcome some of those things. Personally I think this will be the game other developer efforts will be compared to going forward - and rightfully so. And it should be appropriately recognized/rewarded

# 11 ChaseB @ 10/09/10 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
Let's hold the applause.

Have you actually played a human. Cherry picking is back. How many times are they going to release a game with this cheat.

Playing the AI offline. It's nice. Stepping out into the real world. Not so nice. You might want to play a few humans before you decide how great a game is.

The dribbling system does not represent the NBA. . Basketball is a game of quickness, ball movement, and the ability to use your dribble or first step.

Quickness:
This game feels like one of the old NBA LIve's in regards to player movement. Sluggish. 2k9ish.

They didn't make it more sim. They just made the game slower.

In the NBA you can make a move left or right even if you don't have the space. You do not go into a frenzy bumping into your man outside the paint. In the NBA. That's called a foul. Reminds me of 2k9 again. .

They have continued to slow down the speed of the game since 2k8. It's a mistake.
I'm seeing things that I have to wait for to react to. So much for quickness .

Ball Movement.
Running a play still takes forever. At least online the play selection comes up whenever I want it to.

Offline the play option does not come up every time you call for it. You have to pass the ball then pass it back to your PG and hopefully this time when you hit the pad your play option will appear.

Passing is terrible. I swear there is a delay but it's not. The game is just sluggish.

First Step/Dribbling.

You barely want to touch the stick because any move will result in two or three steps towards a certain direction I don't want after the pause.Lord help you on defense. We used to call this skating . Every year it seems as though I have less and less control over my man.

2k8 had the best control. No skating. 2k10 was an improvement over 2k9 which introduced sluggish skating players to the 2k series.

Now we are back to 2k9 levels of control. You mentioned it in your review.

"My one qualm with dribbling moves is the effectiveness of the step-back dribble. The move often creates so much space that you can essentially go from around the charity stripe to the 3-point line in an instance "

That's happens because you have no control. I have used the step back move and I don't want to back up that far. Yet I'm watching my man skating and doing whatever animation I'm locked in until the animation finishes.

"My player could be fun."

The entire game could be more fun. They have slowed the game down to the point I no longer feel the speed of the NBA. I played with the Wizards while my friend played with the Bulls to see if we could feel any speed. Wall vs Rose.

The answer was a resounding no.

Now just to let you know I have been playing basketball games since the Atari. I have probably played close to 40,000 games of NBA 2k. I've played every version they have released. Not all online because I play in leagues offline and tournaments. I have been ranked in the top 10-150 every year. This is what I do and I do it for money. I'm an authority on this game.

Right now the game is just to slow, they changed the controls for the worst, and online still sucks.

Why move the hesitation move from the right trigger to the left trigger. The hesitation move was controlled by the right trigger since the original 2k on the Dreamcast. Why now after 10 years.

Right now I would rather play 2k10 over this version.

In my opinion the best versions of 2k were 2k1, 2k7, 2k8 and 2k10 on the PS3. On the 360 it was to easy to score in the paint. The PS3 version played a much better game of basketball than the 360.

This is not one of their best releases as far as game play.

The complaints are starting to come in over at the 2k website.

Right now it's comparing with one of it's worst releases game play wise. 2k9 which was to sluggish and made the spin move the move of choice.

That spin move is out of control this year just like 2k9. Must have something to do with all the skating.

You can't make razor cuts in this game like you do in real basketball. That's a problem.

If this was a Euro version of 2k it would be great since no one in the Euro league has a first step and they don't run isolations.

I don't feel like I have my feet firmly planted on the court.
Watching the movement of my player I completely understand why I feel that way.

The presentation has stepped up but the game play has not. It's a taken a step back from last year.

This site gave 2k9 a ranking of 9. Which was one of their worst releases.

Let's hold the applause for now because that game should have got a 7.
You have to at least say /rant if you go on a diatribe like that.

# 12 theprocess @ 10/09/10 12:56 AM
BlackRome must own a PS5 or an XBOX 1080 because I Can't see any other basketball game being better than this.

I've also owned an ATARI. I even played "Kobe Bryant in NBA COURTSIDE". You name it I've played it. As far as I know this is the most fun I've had playing a basketball video game in a loooooong time. So let's not forget this is just a video game...an amazing one at that.

Thanks for the review.

# 13 Tomba @ 10/09/10 01:19 AM
A 9? This is sports gaming bliss. easily a 10.

# 14 Tomba @ 10/09/10 01:25 AM
Let me go on the record and say that in my years of editing sports games no game needed less tweaking than this one except for maybe nfl 2k5...

A 9 does this game no justice when comparing it to last years score.

# 15 fatta @ 10/09/10 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Nicely written review for the most part. I have to wonder given all 2K did, and how they've changed the dynamic for ALL sports games going forward - what would they have to do to warrant a 9.5? Chances are we'll never see this type of effort again, this unique a circumstance with Jordan. And I wonder if it's worth it, if in the end their graded no differently than Tiburon's Madden 11 effort. It's like NBA2K is never judged for everywhere it goes beyond what other sports games are attempting to do. I can see quibbling about a gameplay quirk here, or someone's face not being "perfect" there. But I'd think the areas where they go above and beyond what other developers do (additional gameplay options, customization, player characterization/personality, presentation, etc.) would help overcome some of those things. Personally I think this will be the game other developer efforts will be compared to going forward - and rightfully so. And it should be appropriately recognized/rewarded
absolutely agree!!! It demands a 9,5 at least....

But nice read anyway.

# 16 Tomba @ 10/09/10 01:45 AM
It's ridiculous actually. The more i think about it i don't know what will ever please anyone anymore...

# 17 TreyIM2 @ 10/09/10 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiddy71323
BlackRome is just an Elite fanboy whose still bum-hurt from it getting the axe. You can admit this game is great, it's okay
I have to agree with the lack of control on BlackRome's part. Still a big issue in this game. I don't know how people say this game controls much smoother. It's just as wonky as ever, control wise. 2K needs to overhaul the controls and player controlled movement or find a way to fit in people who prefer better controls ala Live 10/Elite 11.Everything else is just fine, to me.

# 18 Behindshadows @ 10/09/10 02:01 AM
Good review, too much Jordan talk, but overall it's a good review and good rating. Can't see myself giving it a ten, it's not perfect because it has too many bugs.

# 19 #1^2kgamer @ 10/09/10 03:57 AM
If You play with the drive camera CHERRY PICKING is UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! online & offline it doesnt matter, 2k PLEASE read this and make a patch and have the cherry picking like last year where you would throw it out of Bounds because it is unstoppable someone used kobe bryant and played zero defense with him after I would shoot he would grab the rebound and bomb it down court he finished the game with 3 turnovers and 58 points on fast break all off of cherry picking I dont quit online so I had to suffer the whole game. If 2k makes a patch for this and some other minor problems such as maybe toning down the verticals of the big man this will no doubt get game of the year!

# 20 ffpp @ 10/09/10 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
On the 360 it was to easy to score in the paint. The PS3 version played a much better game of basketball than the 360.
How can those two versions differ in gameplay ? Its the same game ported to two different plattforms.

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.