Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

One more nugget from the Cowen and Company piece is that Madden sales are in fact down 18% year over year for the month of October:

Quote:
"Even with disappointments for NHL 11 and Medal of Honor, EA's software sales grew 17 percent year over year in October. EA Sports MMA sold 45,000 units, and the Madden NFL franchise is down 18 percent year over year."

If you recall, I predicted in a blog post back in late August ('Are Madden Sales Slipping?') that Madden sales would probably end up down even after initial reports showed the game's sales were up 12% back in August. But an 18% drop was far more than I ever expected, that's nearly a 1/5 cut in top-line revenue from one of EA's biggest franchises on a Y-o-Y basis. If the trend continues, Madden sales could end up down substantially with the all-important Winter Shopping Season approaching.

That's incredibly bad news.

There is a lot of speculation as to why sales have slowed so much so fast, but I believe the reasons are the same now as I initially thought back then: consumers aren't impressed with the direction of the Madden series with so many other options for them to partake in. The longevity of the game is definitely in question and the word of mouth factor seems to be non-existent this year.

This is easily a referendum on the direction of the direction of the series, especially if trends continue to hold through December. I initially thought there wouldn't be much panic from the suits at EA, but this was before the Elite Fiasco hit the world, so now you can never be too careful when trying to prognosticate what EA might do next.

No doubt the decision makers at EA know exactly about the slip in sales of the Madden franchise, which are slowing substantially moreso than previous years after being on store shelves. So whatever panic decisions/reshuffling you would expect have probably already been made in some regards, although some may not be made until the Christmas shopping season is over. There is definitely increasing pressure on the Madden team to perform, and if sales do come in flat to somewhat down there could be some changes to the gameplan going forward.

This is definitely not good news for gamers who have liked the direction of Madden for the past couple of years if this trend holds into the Christmas shopping season. Also just as alarming is Madden's shrinking sales to the hardcore gamers on the top platforms, with sales down between 30% and 40% depending on how you calculate game sales and from whom from it's high in the middle of the last decade.

This is an interesting story we'll continue to follow. In the meantime, do you think we'll see some big changes in the direction for Madden NFL 12?

[ Update ] It's not clear whether Cowen and Company's analyst was commenting on the entire sales volume from Aug-Oct or just in the Month of October. Either way, that would only slightly give the news a bit less negativity for EA -- but it'd still be very negative news. We'll keep on this story.

[ Update #2 ] After analyzing the data and receiving word from a few trusted analysts this is definitely a Monthly drop from last October of 18%. This means after Madden sales started out on a rush, they have plummeted as the product has stayed on store shelves. The real test will be the Christmas shopping season. Roughly 30% of Madden's sales come from Christmas-time sales. If sales are still down substantially in November and then December, things could get ugly for EA. As it is right now though, this is a sharp drop worth watching. Edited the original article to reflect these clarifications.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ryan36 @ 11/17/10 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
What immediately caught my eye was that the peak of the Madden sales was mid-decade....which is about 2004-2005. Remember that year? The last year we had more than 1 NFL game to choose from? Coincidence? Maybe....
You know there's marketing research that shows Quizno's business goes up when Subway advertises more. Maybe good competition just raises the overall consumer impression of football gaming

# 22 pietasterp @ 11/17/10 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
You know there's marketing research that shows Quizno's business goes up when Subway advertises more. Maybe good competition just raises the overall consumer impression of football gaming
Yes, I think that's very likely. There is actually a good deal of market research showing similar correlations. Of course, that's not "proof" per se, but something to think about nonetheless...

My own personal take is that it's a combination of 2 different companies hyping the NFL = some synergistic effect, plus the two games make each other better. I mean, I don't think it's a coincidence that Madden 2005 is considered one of the best games in the franchise's history, and incidentally NFL2k5 is considered one of the best football games ever (by some). Gamers and sports fans aren't as dumb as they seem....even if they don't seem to be able to express it on a collective conscious level, they seem to know which games are capturing their fancy and which ones are stale and boring....

# 23 ryan36 @ 11/17/10 05:40 PM
Madden isn't going anywhere. The NFL doesn't care. People keep thinking the NFL cares...

They NFL only cares in 2 ways. 1: They may see Madden as a marketing tool, and hope for quality since it helps the NFL advertise, and 2: they want Madden to do well so that EA will renew their license.

# 24 pietasterp @ 11/17/10 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsoldier
haha NFL will most certainly not resign with madden after the 2012 season.......IMO if it wasn't for FIFA this year, which posted record sales across the board, EA would take the worst financial loss since its' beginning. its what happens when greed overtakes and money is more important than a quality product. NBA elite gone.......NFL madden soon to be gone.
I think the NFL most certainly WILL re-up that deal, for as long as EA cares to play ball...the NFL's cut, if I understand it correctly, doesn't really have anything to do with the sales numbers. In other words, I don't think that the NFL cares how many games EA sells, because EA pays them up-front for the licensing fees, so their cash is guaranteed. It's EA that needs to decide if the premium they pay to keep others from playing in the NFL sandbox continues to be worth it...

# 25 TDKing @ 11/17/10 05:55 PM
Maybe now they will really listen to the community instead of pretending too!
No more gimmicks, half truths, and mis-representations! We know more about want we want in the game EA than you do. Give the people want they want not what you think they want.

# 26 Eski33 @ 11/17/10 06:01 PM
The Madden series needs to look at what the NCAA team did. They brought in not only much improved graphics, but atmosphere.

I am a long time Madden fan and it still boggles my mind that they add a feature but instead of building on it they simply remove it. The Extra Point is something that could be outstanding. I thought that after Madden 10 we would have seen a huge presentation lift. Instead, we got Madden 10 with stripped down presentation....

# 27 GoJayzGo @ 11/17/10 06:03 PM
I'm sure there are alot of gamers such as myself who wait a couple of months before purchasing the game due to the ridiculous amount of game breaking bugs that EA has produced in the last few years. I have not bought Madden as of yet and I doubt that I will as they've continued to ignore franchise mode.

EA has burned me too many times and now I don't buy until I know the game works properly and is actually worth investing my money and time.

# 28 ryan36 @ 11/17/10 06:09 PM
What amazes me about this is how badly people want to play NFL video games year in and year out.

The demand for a quality product is definitely there. But they can't capitalize on it because their offering is so off the mark.

This is akin to a company not being able to sell water in the desert.

We should also realize that with an 18% decline, it's not just the type of people on message boards that are rejecting their product. We're not 18% of their customers. Nope, folks. This is all those people they keep trying to "simplify" the game for that are saying no. Those same people used to say yes.

# 29 RaychelSnr @ 11/17/10 06:12 PM
Quote:
graphics and atmosphere won't cut it anymore......people want a true to life game with exceptional gameplay.....in my blog "graphics over gameplay" i explain how eye candy is short lived and its the gameplay that keeps one playing for years.
In today's market, you have to have a realistic and smooth presentation as well as good and well balanced gameplay. If you have both, a game doesn't have to play realistic in the sense of true to life stats in order to be considered realistic. From a psychological point of view, a lot of the gaming experience is believing what you are seeing and a good chunk of us experience a majority of our sports via the TV. The key to a good game is mimicking that delivery with gameplay that's well-balanced (ie neither the defense or offense has a built in advantage due to how the game is played). Of course, that discussion is something I'm saving up for a future Op-Ed for the frontpage at some point

# 30 Bellsprout @ 11/17/10 06:13 PM
Quote:
graphics and atmosphere won't cut it anymore......people want a true to life game with exceptional gameplay.....in my blog "graphics over gameplay" i explain how eye candy is short lived and its the gameplay that keeps one playing for years.
If they stuck ESPN logos all over Madden 11 and released it next year as Madden 12 I'm betting it sells a fair bit better.

# 31 Bellsprout @ 11/17/10 06:20 PM
Quote:
maybe, maybe not....ESPN logos all over the field will not improve the game......thus your casual gamer might say "oh wow espn i must buy now!" but your regular hardcore sim gamer will just look at it and say "another bs gimmick and makeup job to hide the terrible gameplay....thanks but no thanks".
There's a lot more casual gamers than hardcore gamers. Hence the Wii selling like hot cakes.

# 32 TDKing @ 11/17/10 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
This is akin to a company not being able to sell water in the desert.
good one!!!!

# 33 greenieblue @ 11/17/10 06:31 PM
This was the first year that I owned a system and did not buy Madden. The reasons? NCAA was a very good game and NBA 2K11's release was on the horizon.

Personally, I think this story is unfortunate. EA has pushed (mostly in the 90's and early 2000's) sports games development and innovation and I don't think we would see games like The Show or NBA 2K without their dedication to trying to walk that fine line between sports gamers and sports fans. There have been a lot of ideas borrowed from EA over the years and they have (at the very least) pressured competitors to strive for solid, balanced and innovative games.

That said, I think (having never played Madden 11) NCAA 11 is the best football game ever made.

# 34 edaddy @ 11/17/10 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
In today's market, you have to have a realistic and smooth presentation as well as good and well balanced gameplay. If you have both, a game doesn't have to play realistic in the sense of true to life stats in order to be considered realistic. From a psychological point of view, a lot of the gaming experience is believing what you are seeing and a good chunk of us experience a majority of our sports via the TV. The key to a good game is mimicking that delivery with gameplay that's well-balanced (ie neither the defense or offense has a built in advantage due to how the game is played). Of course, that discussion is something I'm saving up for a future Op-Ed for the frontpage at some point
Man these are sentiments to a tee...I have been preaching for years that sports gamers want immersion more than anything..we want to feel like we are at the game ,playing the game, or watching it on tv..all those elements can be improved presentation wise including multiple camera angles, ridiculous crowd noise and to include all the little nuances that go on in a nfl telecast and nfl stadium..from pregame warmups to real commentary ...etc..Ea is also lacking in the basic nuances of the game of football that hold it back..including things like real penalties that are more than clipping or holding, signature running styles..signature and varied catching styles and animations.. player personalities..pre snap movement..individual team tendencies and realistic play...and creatioing a sim that truly is a chessmatch on the field not who has the fastest players...Ea created this by resting on its laurels and like i have sted before if someone can point out the major differences or improvements between madden 10 and 11 I would love to listen...Sim is the way to go and leave the arcade version to blitz or whatever..etc..follow NBA2K11's lead include everything thing that goes on in a game and madden will be a succcess...remeber 2k11 isnt perfect gameplay wise by any means but the immersion factor, attentio to detail, and presentation makes everyone overlook that fact!!!

# 35 rooney8 @ 11/17/10 06:36 PM
They have already restructured putting someone overlooking each game franchise rather than studio who has to report to the top so they don't have anymore Elite surprises. Bad sales are good news for sim gamers as it doesn't support their targeting the casuals approach.
However, I think some people are a little confused. That article says Madden sales are down 18% for October compared to last year. It did quite well in August and September so is probably up overall. Hopefully this slump will continue through the Christmas months and change the direction of the game.
Quote:
Publisher Take-Two's titles are seeing strong performance, however: NBA 2K11 sold 1.15 million units in October, twice what the previous installment did last year. Creutz indicates this is, "most impressively, 60 percent more than last October's combined sales for NBA 2K10 and NBA Live 10."
I hope EA realises Nba2k11 success was purely down to it being a great game and a good representation of basketball and that drew in a whole range of fans. More likely they will still go with thinking football fans are more casual about their sport so Nba2k being a successful sim game is just down to basketball having a more hardcore fanbase than football. If anything, I think the opposite is true.

One day the penny will drop with the suits at EA but not on this news.

# 36 RaychelSnr @ 11/17/10 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Man these are sentiments to a tee...I have been preaching for years that sports gamers want immersion more than anything..we want to feel like we are at the game ,playing the game, or watching it on tv..all those elements can be improved presentation wise including multiple camera angles, ridiculous crowd noise and to include all the little nuances that go on in a nfl telecast and nfl stadium..from pregame warmups to real commentary ...etc..Ea is also lacking in the basic nuances of the game of football that hold it back..including things like real penalties that are more than clipping or holding, signature running styles..signature and varied catching styles and animations.. player personalities..pre snap movement..individual team tendencies and realistic play...and creatioing a sim that truly is a chessmatch on the field not who has the fastest players...Ea created this by resting on its laurels and like i have sted before if someone can point out the major differences or improvements between madden 10 and 11 I would love to listen...Sim is the way to go and leave the arcade version to blitz or whatever..etc..follow NBA2K11's lead include everything thing that goes on in a game and madden will be a succcess...remeber 2k11 isnt perfect gameplay wise by any means but the immersion factor, attentio to detail, and presentation makes everyone overlook that fact!!!
You nailed it. Just make sure your game plays well and balanced and you've got yourself an all time classic if you nail the immersion factor.

# 37 dougdeuce @ 11/17/10 06:47 PM
I'm part of the 18%... This is the first time in years I didn't purchase Madden, and it's because they didn't change anything franchise from last years. I want a deep franchise mode that actually works. Unless this is overhauled, I'm done with Madden.

Even I don't believe I'm saying this. I don't even come to this forum anymore because I'm too disappointed to participate anymore.

Practice squad
45 man active rosters
80 man rosters in pre-season
cut down days
injured reserve
HC style practice (more in depth though)

the list goes on.

# 38 rooney8 @ 11/17/10 06:49 PM
Chris you have Madden sales down 18% this year on the front page but they are not. It's just for October. Year over year means compared to the same period last year and this article is just about sales for October.

# 39 l3ulvl @ 11/17/10 06:55 PM
The thing that scares me is the thing that made me so excited to buy Madden 11 in the first place: Advertised early as almost exclusively focusing on gameplay, then making the gameplay worse. Now next year the attention is focused towards Franchise, so will they screw that up too?

Instead of making Franchise mode exciting, I have a feeling what they'll do is make it overly intricate and time consuming. Referencing CH2K8's incredible Legacy mode for a minute, the important thing to me is it's deep but doesn't necessarily take hours of excruciating tasks between games. Take recruiting, after establishing the players you want to target, your week to week time spent on recruiting is only a few minutes. Madden, meanwhile would probably include some strange fine-print contract gimmick, and add dumb side-modes like planning the pregame meal for the practice squad. No, make it addictive and yet somewhat simple.

# 40 Senator Palmer @ 11/17/10 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
Chris you have Madden sales down 18% this year on the front page but they are not. It's just for October. Year over year means compared to the same period last year and this article is just about sales for October.
In the article, it said sales "year over year", not specifically the month of October. I thought that meant calendar year from one October to the next.

Quote:
Even with disappointments for NHL 11 and Medal of Honor, EA's software sales grew 17 percent year over year in October. EA Sports MMA sold 45,000 units, and the Madden NFL franchise is down 18 percent year over year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.