Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

One more nugget from the Cowen and Company piece is that Madden sales are in fact down 18% year over year for the month of October:

Quote:
"Even with disappointments for NHL 11 and Medal of Honor, EA's software sales grew 17 percent year over year in October. EA Sports MMA sold 45,000 units, and the Madden NFL franchise is down 18 percent year over year."

If you recall, I predicted in a blog post back in late August ('Are Madden Sales Slipping?') that Madden sales would probably end up down even after initial reports showed the game's sales were up 12% back in August. But an 18% drop was far more than I ever expected, that's nearly a 1/5 cut in top-line revenue from one of EA's biggest franchises on a Y-o-Y basis. If the trend continues, Madden sales could end up down substantially with the all-important Winter Shopping Season approaching.

That's incredibly bad news.

There is a lot of speculation as to why sales have slowed so much so fast, but I believe the reasons are the same now as I initially thought back then: consumers aren't impressed with the direction of the Madden series with so many other options for them to partake in. The longevity of the game is definitely in question and the word of mouth factor seems to be non-existent this year.

This is easily a referendum on the direction of the direction of the series, especially if trends continue to hold through December. I initially thought there wouldn't be much panic from the suits at EA, but this was before the Elite Fiasco hit the world, so now you can never be too careful when trying to prognosticate what EA might do next.

No doubt the decision makers at EA know exactly about the slip in sales of the Madden franchise, which are slowing substantially moreso than previous years after being on store shelves. So whatever panic decisions/reshuffling you would expect have probably already been made in some regards, although some may not be made until the Christmas shopping season is over. There is definitely increasing pressure on the Madden team to perform, and if sales do come in flat to somewhat down there could be some changes to the gameplan going forward.

This is definitely not good news for gamers who have liked the direction of Madden for the past couple of years if this trend holds into the Christmas shopping season. Also just as alarming is Madden's shrinking sales to the hardcore gamers on the top platforms, with sales down between 30% and 40% depending on how you calculate game sales and from whom from it's high in the middle of the last decade.

This is an interesting story we'll continue to follow. In the meantime, do you think we'll see some big changes in the direction for Madden NFL 12?

[ Update ] It's not clear whether Cowen and Company's analyst was commenting on the entire sales volume from Aug-Oct or just in the Month of October. Either way, that would only slightly give the news a bit less negativity for EA -- but it'd still be very negative news. We'll keep on this story.

[ Update #2 ] After analyzing the data and receiving word from a few trusted analysts this is definitely a Monthly drop from last October of 18%. This means after Madden sales started out on a rush, they have plummeted as the product has stayed on store shelves. The real test will be the Christmas shopping season. Roughly 30% of Madden's sales come from Christmas-time sales. If sales are still down substantially in November and then December, things could get ugly for EA. As it is right now though, this is a sharp drop worth watching. Edited the original article to reflect these clarifications.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 rooney8 @ 11/17/10 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Also on your John Riccitiello point, I'd like to know how he's surviving with EA's stock flat since the 08 crash while everyone else has seen at least modest stock gains. That's as much an indictment on Riccitiello as anything else. But don't forget that total sales were up 17% for EA in October, so the company as a whole isn't doing too bad.
That's down to more titles being released like Medal of Honor compared to last year. Madden, NHL and MMA not doing well is bad but when Fifa and NBA2k are doing better than ever there aren't many excuses for Riccitiello to hide behind. Him and Peter Moore are very target the casual gamer so I will be glad to see him go and hopefully Moore too.

# 62 Palo20 @ 11/17/10 09:21 PM
I've enjoyed Madden the past couple years, but I really hated their "Simpler, Quicker, Deeper" slogan this year. I completely understand the need to cater to new users, and they absolutely should have modes that appeal to them. I love gameflow when gameplans are created. BUT, for the new users, advertising that the game is simpler just doesn't work. When they pick up and try the game, make sure it's simpler. But basing so much of your advertising on being quick and simple was just a huge mistake IMO.

# 63 JWO35 @ 11/17/10 09:23 PM
No surprised, if anything Madden over the last few years have took steps back...after seeing other companies like 2k making huge leaps in games year-from-year, hopefully either EA or NFL decides to do something about it
EA by actually changes somethings like their Franchise Mode(circa 2007)
or the NFL by ending the license between EA to make exclusive NFL games, and open the door for other companies such as 2k/

Hopefully its the NFL

# 64 RGiles36 @ 11/17/10 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Man these are sentiments to a tee...I have been preaching for years that sports gamers want immersion more than anything..we want to feel like we are at the game ,playing the game, or watching it on tv..all those elements can be improved presentation wise including multiple camera angles, ridiculous crowd noise and to include all the little nuances that go on in a nfl telecast and nfl stadium..from pregame warmups to real commentary ...etc..Ea is also lacking in the basic nuances of the game of football that hold it back..including things like real penalties that are more than clipping or holding, signature running styles..signature and varied catching styles and animations.. player personalities..pre snap movement..individual team tendencies and realistic play...and creatioing a sim that truly is a chessmatch on the field not who has the fastest players...Ea created this by resting on its laurels and like i have sted before if someone can point out the major differences or improvements between madden 10 and 11 I would love to listen...Sim is the way to go and leave the arcade version to blitz or whatever..etc..follow NBA2K11's lead include everything thing that goes on in a game and madden will be a succcess...remeber 2k11 isnt perfect gameplay wise by any means but the immersion factor, attentio to detail, and presentation makes everyone overlook that fact!!!
Agreed with the bolded. Granted, they have some of that already in the game, but it's not nailed. That's what feeds the theory that EA/Tib is not sharp with the details.

# 65 RumbleCard @ 11/17/10 09:31 PM
I didn't buy it this year. Played NCAA like others here did and yeah its a great game but I grew bored with it pretty quick...month and half at best. Couldn't justify buying a game that is basically the same or worse.

"reaching a broader market" makes no sense. Echoing the sediments in this thread I think more sim over accessibility is the obvious approach. This isn't a one off title. Its reoccurs year after year. The only people who buy games systematically like that are the ones who want to be immersed in a game. As close to being as realistic as possible.

If this were a one time game I think finding ways to mass market makes more sense. They need to concentrate on bringing back their niche (albeit large) market that has grown bored and complacent with the game.

# 66 roadman @ 11/17/10 10:10 PM
They need to retool and step up their game.

# 67 TreFacTor @ 11/17/10 10:24 PM
The "telemetry" is giving Ian and co. the information needed to make changes in Madden, and that's the sad part. The game hasn't progressed the way many of the faithful would wish, and with an annual release schedule, this will not change in the foreseeable future. They simply don't have enough time between releases to make marked improvements to the game. The engine can't be scrapped tomorrow. I predict that EA will ride the bull until it collapses and then it will make changes. It's clear that EA doesn't listen to the fans, but rather to marketing who in turn tells them that they need to cater to the more casual gamer but that simply means that there is a compromise and the game suffers in performance because of it. It can not be both as complicated and complex as the actual game while at the same time being pick up an play friendly.

There are people that play chess, and then there are people that play checkers.... madden attempts to be both.

# 68 Nunyerbiz @ 11/17/10 10:45 PM
I don't know if it really has much to do with "sim roots" .. I don't even know what the heck that means and I've been playing Madden somewhat regularly since the first PC version in 1989. It's not like Madden is suddenly NFL Blitz. They just didn't make a very good foundation out of the gate for this current gen and have built on this shaky foundation for 3 years running. People realize this and stop buying. It's not anymore complicated than that.

NBA2K11 is selling like hotcakes right now because they truly made a leap forward. The early adopters confirmed the hype from the game review sites that never give a major sports title anything less than 8 out of 10 anyhow... word of mouth spread... and everybody realizes this isn't a case of "good but not great" games like NBA2K9 and 2K10... There was a major leap forward...

That is what Madden needs. It has nothing to do with catering to sim versus casual versus tourney players. They just need to make a game that is better... and by better I mean across the board for everyone. They need to make that major leap... come up with the good foundation they have been missing and then everything else works itself out in the wash.

# 69 l3ulvl @ 11/17/10 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
There are people that play chess, and then there are people that play checkers.... madden attempts to be both.
This really is a great line.

# 70 d3fcon @ 11/17/10 11:00 PM
I'm not surprised.... Since only EA can make/publish NFL games there is NO competition which means less need to be innovative. Instead of making a great game year after year, they can make a mediocre one and throw in some menu changes and a few tweaks here and there and they "have a new game". I mean how long did it take for them to realize players weren't able to catch balls going to the sidelines? A fix for it costs 49.99 (Madden 11)

# 71 greenieblue @ 11/17/10 11:06 PM
"year over year" literally means nothing. Unless you consider the progression of time as some sort of stack or, possibly, linear. Even then, what year over what year? Nevertheless, it's nonsense. So it's easy to see how the article that informs this article can lead to confusion.

The reason that this is worrisome is that the reason we are in this situation is a lack of competition. If EA goes away, guess what? We have problems.

# 72 PantherBeast_OS @ 11/17/10 11:11 PM
I think one of the down falls of the Marketing Department is they seem to make the madden team add stuff into the game they think fans would love to have. But they failed at that. Another example of how the Marketing has failed EA in the last few years on madden is Josh Looman. When they brought Josh Looman in the Madden Department. Josh main focus was at first was going to be the franchise mode. But that quickly failed when they changed Josh job from working completely on franchise mode to working on this MUT stuff. I understand some people enjoy MUT and all. But that is not what Josh was brought in for. Josh was one of the leading guys who worked on HC 09 and made it's franchise mode on HC 09 a big success. That is why he was brought in. To work on Madden franchise mode. But yet the Marketing Department change that around quickly and made him work on something like MUT that is completely worthless in my eyes. I felt we as fans was lied to by EA on the reason Josh was brought into madden in the first place. His job was to work on Franchise mode and to make it much better. Now 2 years later and franchise mode is still the same. I really hope that madden crew does something big franchise mode this year. Atleast that would be a good step in the right direction for the madden serias for 2011 coming up.

# 73 DangerDanjo @ 11/17/10 11:11 PM
Why build a Rolls Royce when people will buy a Yugo for the same price?

# 74 bpd115 @ 11/17/10 11:23 PM
Well tonight I traded both NCAA and Madden in. That was by far the earliest I've ever dumped the games. I finished one season in NCAA and Madden sucked so bad I couldn't finish one year in franchise.

I found NCAA had a decent on field game but both franchises felt stale. With Madden's obvious gravitation to the arcade/online gamer I just had enough.

With a young family my gaming time is limited and NBA 2K11 is dominating that time. That was the final nail in EA's foot all coffin with me.

Out with NCAA/Madden in with **** Yarn & Donkey Kong Country Returns.

EA Sports needs to take a hard look at what VC did with NBA 2K.

# 75 PantherBeast_OS @ 11/17/10 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd115
Well tonight I traded both NCAA and Madden in. That was by far the earliest I've ever dumped the games. I finished one season in NCAA and Madden sucked so bad I couldn't finish one year in franchise.

I found NCAA had a decent on field game but both franchises felt stale. With Madden's obvious gravitation to the arcade/online gamer I just had enough.

With a young family my gaming time is limited and NBA 2K11 is dominating that time. That was the final nail in EA's foot all coffin with me.

Out with NCAA/Madden in with **** Yarn & Donkey Kong Country Returns.

EA Sports needs to take a hard look at what VC did with NBA 2K.
I still play my madden 11 time from time. I like madden 11 still. It's just they need to look this as a whole. EA wants to gain more fans for madden. The best way of doing that is going back to their roots of madden they had in the past. That's how they sold so many maddens to fans each year back years ago. But EA has screwed up big time with trying new things instead of improving the old ways and making it better. That goes for gameplay,franchise mode , and presentation aswell. If they would stop trying to invent new things to add into madden year after year. Just go back to their roots that started this all. Then maybe they would get back their hardcore fans and new ones aswell. EA is trying to hard. EA needs to take a step back and take alook around and find out what works best and stick with it. Listening to the fans completely and use fans ideas the best way they can in a one year cycle would help their sales and more.

# 76 Aggies7 @ 11/17/10 11:41 PM
As I posted in the poll thread Madden needs to cater to the hardcore football fans and cut the year to year gimmicks.

And instead of Madden moments for DLC why not add downloadable commentary and cut scenes for pre and post game so the game doesn't go stale.

# 77 PantherBeast_OS @ 11/18/10 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
As I posted in the poll thread Madden needs to cater to the hardcore football fans and cut the year to year gimmicks.

And instead of Madden moments for DLC why not add downloadable commentary and cut scenes for pre and post game so the game doesn't go stale.
I completely agree on the gimmicks need to be gone from the game. The time for gimmicks have gone. I"m one of those Hardcore gamers of 19 years who has played madden. I still play madden 11 time from time. I can see why EA is doing things with gimmicks to bring in new fans to game. They must know they are lossing their hardcore fans aswell in the process aswell. Why they maybe bring in new fans. They are lossing more faithful yearly fans then bring in new ones. That's why their sales are way down on madden 11. Because hardcare fans refuse to buy it anymore until EA makes hugh changes. I see myself buying extra commentary and cut scenes for pregame and post game and all. But I much wheather see them stop with the Gimmicks and with MUT and DLC stuff and go back to basics. Fix the current gameplay and make the franchise mode much much deeper then it is currently is and fix the presentation and make it somewhat better. Anything above that would nice nice. But those 3 main areas need the most attention this coming year to win back fans and Hardcore fans at that.

# 78 Palo20 @ 11/18/10 12:43 AM
I still think real simulation of the sport sells. I can't stand soccer, but I'm willing to give FIFA a chance because I hear about how realistic the gameplay is.

Master the game of football and Madden will sell.

# 79 l3ulvl @ 11/18/10 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
I think one of the down falls of the Marketing Department is they seem to make the madden team add stuff into the game they think fans would love to have. But they failed at that. Another example of how the Marketing has failed EA in the last few years on madden is Josh Looman. When they brought Josh Looman in the Madden Department. Josh main focus was at first was going to be the franchise mode. But that quickly failed when they changed Josh job from working completely on franchise mode to working on this MUT stuff. I understand some people enjoy MUT and all. But that is not what Josh was brought in for. Josh was one of the leading guys who worked on HC 09 and made it's franchise mode on HC 09 a big success. That is why he was brought in. To work on Madden franchise mode. But yet the Marketing Department change that around quickly and made him work on something like MUT that is completely worthless in my eyes. I felt we as fans was lied to by EA on the reason Josh was brought into madden in the first place. His job was to work on Franchise mode and to make it much better. Now 2 years later and franchise mode is still the same. I really hope that madden crew does something big franchise mode this year. Atleast that would be a good step in the right direction for the madden serias for 2011 coming up.
I never knew that. I posted earlier suggesting they'll wreck franchise mode with their focus next year, but if they do a HC '09 style offseason I'd definitely be interested.

# 80 mestevo @ 11/18/10 01:22 AM
This is spin for a headline. The original thread was predicated on early reduced pricing by some retailers at release trying to surmise that sales were down, when it's a common practice to have day 1 sales, and prices went back to normal making the entire premise incorrect.

How much of this 18% is still PS2 falloff? There's almost 200k missing units right there YOY using vgchartz data, and they're not going to come close to last year's 900k on that platform.

Also, it's an article about October NPD, I don't see what isn't clear about Madden's YOY or they'd cite an Activision statement for context, the source is still NPD's October data.

Like the first article, this is more a flashy headline than anything of substance.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.