Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Check out the second Madden NFL designers podcast.
  • Animations and defense (zone) is going to be worked on extensively
  • Discussion on real time physics, it's a long term goal and is the future
  • Triumphs and failures, over the years (discussion)
  • Donny talks about speed rating domination
  • One of the top priorities is DEFENSE, as well as value
  • Metrics - Play Now, Online Play Now, Offline Franchise are the most played modes, the rest are tied well below.
  • Bowling pin tackle discussion.
  • Penalties... PI and defensive holding discussion.
  • Slowing down the CPU snap discussion
  • Next podcast to showcase Franchise mode
Quote:
"Madden Creative Director Ian Cummings this week sets down with Donny Moore and Larry Richart of the Madden design team to talk about a few things; This Week's Roster Update, Game Play Guru Larry Richart, Real Time Physics Discussion, NBA Elite to Tiburon Chat, Twitter Questions, and the already famous Hateful Tweet of the week."

Listen to the podcast, right here.

According to Ian Cummings, it is already available on iTunes.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 jeremym480 @ 11/22/10 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
ARGH I AM NOT SAYING THAT.

The point is that the DEFAULT settings should not have high penalty numbers and long game times. Period.

I am 100% in agreement with everyone that Madden should be able to have realistic stats, penalties, physics, locomotion, blocking, catching, etc, you name it. I'm just saying that the DEFAULT settings out of the box are going to be shorter games and less penalties. More sliders and customization and toggles are all means to get to an ultimate perfect simulation for those that want it.
Ian, nice to have you back. Quick question...
Have you guys ever considered going with different game play modes for offline play? NBA 2K11 is sort of has this with the Sim, Default, Casual, Arcade settings. However, really it's just slider adjustments rather than a completely different game.

I'm at work now so I don't have a lot of time but here's some quick examples of what I'm talking about:

Arcade:
- CPU snaps the ball at a quicker rate
- Penalties are few and far between (kind of like they are now)
- Offense is a little more "wide-open"

Hardcore:
- CPU QB's like Peyton Manning use the entire play-clock
- Penalties occur at a realistic rate and you see every type of penalty to offensive pass interference to late hits out of bounce
- Offense run an offense similar to their real life counterparts

Default-
Somewhere in the middle of those two.

For example: I know some people would hate to wait on the CPU to snap the ball but, for other's they want the CPU to take longer so that they can make pre-snap adjustments and what not. But, if we can just get this as an option then everyone can set their own happy-medium an this way everyone is pleased. Same goes for penalties.

Is that even possible, or is it to much to implement in one cycle? Either way, I think you guys are heading in the right direction. So keep up the good work!

# 122 rangerrick012 @ 11/22/10 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Imagine OS misunderstanding what Ian says..that never happens!!!

But Ian , I think it would be awesome if the devs tuned the sliders into pre-packaged styles a la the arcade, sim...etc. So maybe default is all "50" but then when I flip one tab to "sim" I get speed threshold "35", Pass rush "55" , kicker accuracy "15" etc... that way we would have a pretty easy starting point to make the slider adjustments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Good post Ryan, I think thats how the game should modeled overall. you have arcade with ratings, playcalling and presentation to match that, sim and so forth so if you have someone that wants a tiered system for playcalling then they fall into that sim package, arcade pretty much would be one button push for everything limited playbook . then have a normal slot that would be the standard setup , with current playcalling, and penalties.
Agree with these sentiments.

# 123 ryan36 @ 11/22/10 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Ryan rephrases exactly what Ian said, Ryan gets the "good post" comment and agreement. And people wonder why Ian gets so frustrated:P

Not knocking you, Hova, you just happened to be illustrating it.

I think the thing that threw everyone was the way you guys were praising the "new direction" of EA's NBA franchise, which many took as your personal opinion of how sports games should be.
AJ, I am very confident Ian knows what we want to be in the game, and he knows what would make it more fun for him. My comment was more in the way that customization was packaged. As a poster above said, if they're making slider tweaks , because they want more sim, a pre-configured slider set would be a way to know, "Ok, this is how the game plays right, in our view."

I doubt that the devs play M11 as it is out of the box.

For me, all I ever do is turn up user pass rush, lower kicker accuracy, and tweak fumbles when possible , because I hate the "cover" button. I think it's a waste of space.

# 124 falconfansince81 @ 11/22/10 04:56 PM
first off, i thought the podcast was better than any of the ones last year and really hit some majors concerns and issues which is great to see you guys acknowledge. the recent increase in community interaction will only further better the game so i'm already pumped to see these things so far.

my question is, if the game DID have a preset slider set for sim/online (arcade) could online franchise managers choose the simulation route? we run a league called maddengroup with 11 franchises, all sim style members...and are ALWAYS wishing we could apply some of the great sim slider sets that people on here have came up with.

# 125 ryan36 @ 11/22/10 05:52 PM
From the TOS...

FROM NOW ON, ANY AND ALL OFFENSES WILL BE MET WITH AN IMMEDIATE AND PERMANENT BAN. THERE ARE NO INFRACTIONS, AND WARNING WILL BE USED AT A MODERATOR'S DISCRETION, IF AT ALL.

VIP's
You will notice we have many VIP's who post here, designated by their name in a purple color. Many of them are game developers or guests at Operation Sports. They are to be respected at all times. If you want to interact with our VIP's, you are to keep the discussion mature and in a professional manner. Any type of attack will not be tolerated.

....Be aware guys. And report anything that violates this with the little triangle/exclamation point icon. Nobody knows who reports things, so don't worry about being a snitch. We want to keep this useful and constructive for everyone. And I'm critical of certain areas of Madden too, and you can see some of my posts in the forum...but personal attacks aren't allowed, ok? (And this isn't for anyone in particular at the moment, just a heads up in advance)

# 126 roadman @ 11/22/10 09:59 PM
Wow, sounds like a wish list instead of comments on podcast #2.

Just an observation.

# 127 at23steelers @ 11/22/10 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Wow, sounds like a wish list instead of comments on podcast #2.

Just an observation.
Yeah, fair point. But this was the thread Ian was responding in, and on the podcast they talked about how to improve Madden with better defense. So, that's the direction I went. To be fair, many posts on here have no relevance to podcast, and even go so far as to criticize Ian unnecessarily.

# 128 rooney8 @ 11/22/10 10:55 PM
If I remember correctly for podcast #3 you are gonna try and get Josh Looman on the phone to talk about offline franchise. Is he trying to build Head Coach 12 or something more simple. Also could you get him to maybe tell us how the CBA is affecting things.

# 129 PGaither84 @ 11/23/10 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Ryan rephrases exactly what Ian said, Ryan gets the "good post" comment and agreement. And people wonder why Ian gets so frustrated:P

Not knocking you, Hova, you just happened to be illustrating it.

I think the thing that threw everyone was the way you guys were praising the "new direction" of EA's NBA franchise, which many took as your personal opinion of how sports games should be.
Actually, Ryan says that is what should be done, and while Ian may agree, we haven't see it yet in Madden. We cannot go online and play games on the "sim" setting. We are stuck with out of the box/post patch or nothing at all. Sliders are for off-line only.

I don't doubt that Ian agrees, but the next step is to do something about it. If not him, then who? I cannot go online and play OTP on "sim" only on Rookie through All-Madden.

Furthermore, this is not just about having the PI sliders "working" properly, there are many penalties that are not in the game, or do not work like they are supposed to, Intentional Grounding comes to mind the most.

# 130 at23steelers @ 11/23/10 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Actually, Ryan says that is what should be done, and while Ian may agree, we haven't see it yet in Madden. We cannot go online and play games on the "sim" setting. We are stuck with out of the box/post patch or nothing at all. Sliders are for off-line only.

I don't doubt that Ian agrees, but the next step is to do something about it. If not him, then who? I cannot go online and play OTP on "sim" only on Rookie through All-Madden.

Furthermore, this is not just about having the PI sliders "working" properly, there are many penalties that are not in the game, or do not work like they are supposed to, Intentional Grounding comes to mind the most.
IMO, Ranked online games should all be the same difficulty. However, unranked games and online franchise especially should be able to utilize the sliders. Good idea!

# 131 TDKing @ 11/23/10 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
ARGH I AM NOT SAYING THAT.

The point is that the DEFAULT settings should not have high penalty numbers and long game times. Period.

I am 100% in agreement with everyone that Madden should be able to have realistic stats, penalties, physics, locomotion, blocking, catching, etc, you name it. I'm just saying that the DEFAULT settings out of the box are going to be shorter games and less penalties. More sliders and customization and toggles are all means to get to an ultimate perfect simulation for those that want it.
Can we get these customization you speak of available for ONLINE games? and ONLINE leagues and franchises?

# 132 Hova57 @ 11/23/10 03:24 PM
Steelcurtain your right bout the animations its so frustrating that i can play ncaa and they have the best jump ball animations with the db and wr, but play madden the receiver has no awarness to even prepare to jump and the db is too busy looking at his feet to realize the ball is inthe air.

# 133 ryan36 @ 11/23/10 06:02 PM
Guys, talk about the podcast...not a wishlist

# 134 at23steelers @ 11/23/10 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Guys, talk about the podcast...not a wishlist
So, you don't want us to criticize them, understandable. But what else should we do, if we don't give them a list of suggestions? They talked about Defense, and different additions to madden which makes madden 12 suggestions relevant. Do you want us to blow their quotes out of proportion regarding NBA Elite, and how they are not trying to be Sim which is clearly not the case? What exactly do you want us to talk about?

# 135 ryan36 @ 11/23/10 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
So, you don't want us to criticize them, understandable. But what else should we do, if we don't give them a list of suggestions? They talked about Defense, and different additions to madden which makes madden 12 suggestions relevant. Do you want us to blow their quotes out of proportion regarding NBA Elite, and how they are not trying to be Sim which is clearly not the case? What exactly do you want us to talk about?
Criticize all you want. Just don't do it in a personal fashion. I'm saying 200 line wishlist posts go in the wishlist thread...

# 136 KANE699 @ 11/23/10 08:42 PM
I have to strongly disagree, a lot of football fans have managed to find their way to at least one NFL game and if not then at least a college football game.

Both are pretty similar in the way they are handled on the field just the uniforms and speed of the game are slightly different.

Point is everyone knows the broadcast is meant to resemble tv but there are plenty of aspects broadcast trys to get to make you feel like you are on the field or at the game, much like the sky cam for instance. Hell the way you watch the games on tv are basically sitting yay high up in the stands with enhanced zoomed in vision.

I do not believe they do not understand what we're asking for when we talk immersion and broadcast, they just haven't quite nailed it just yet is all.

# 137 at23steelers @ 11/24/10 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
Kane699, what are you disagreeing with? You think most Madden gamers have been to a NFL game? Network broadcasting does NOT make the NFL more immersive?

I never stated "they do not understand", I stated there has not been enough attention focused on these aspects yearly.

I don't understand what you strongly disagree with about my post. Maybe you are a Native American and didn't like my happy Thanksgiving reference. If so, I apologize. LOL
Well, they should understand. It's not like their making the first example of a broadcasting presentation ever! They can just look at all the games playing that week, as an example, or look at games like nhl 11, mlb the show, nfl 2k5, and nba 2k11. Everything is there for helping them improve and "copy" off of, they're just not executing to the quality we expect from them. They need to have it flow and make it come alive. (sorry for my wishlist comment, but I think everyone hopes for this).

# 138 RGiles36 @ 11/24/10 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
I do not believe they do not understand what we're asking for when we talk immersion and broadcast, they just haven't quite nailed it just yet is all.
I know that you have an inside track so to speak, so you're more informed than I am certainly.

But after the last two years, I'm convinced that authentic broadcast presentation is not on their agenda. I always say this: M10 was the year presentation was supposed to be blown out. Bringing atmosphere to Madden was one of the many focuses in that dev cycle. Well it missed the mark, but many of us gave a pass as it was the first effort.

In comes M11 and there was minimal improvement. Yes, the staff has added atmosphere to Madden. But you still don't confuse it with watching a game on TV. There's too many details to list as far as what they're missing -- variety is a biggie though.

NFL2K5 & APF2K8 have been out for years now. Both games did a great job of bringing presentation to a football game. Ian mentioned a few years ago that NFL2K5 was 'looping' in the studio, presumably to get presentation ideas. And 2 years later, fans are still regurgitating how they want broadcast presentation, not Madden presentation.

So why hasn't the team nailed it when they watch just as much (if not more) NFL games than we do? They have to see how games are presented on TV, and how Madden is a shadow of that. Where's the disconnect between what fans want in broadcast presentation & what Tiburon is giving us?

# 139 kjjnesb @ 11/24/10 02:59 PM
I just want a deep franchise mode and strong presentation that ties in more than anything... Makes me kinda wish the NFL Head coach series was still going.

# 140 KANE699 @ 11/24/10 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
Kane699, what are you disagreeing with? You think most Madden gamers have been to a NFL game? Network broadcasting does NOT make the NFL more immersive?

I never stated "they do not understand", I stated there has not been enough attention focused on these aspects yearly.

I don't understand what you strongly disagree with about my post. Maybe you are a Native American and didn't like my happy Thanksgiving reference. If so, I apologize. LOL

Im disagreeing with this part.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.