Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

We recently changed our review process. Read all about how we do our reviews now.

I love going to Walt Disney World. I got hooked as a kid, and since then it has become my family’s favorite vacation destination. And after many trips, it’s easy to feel a sense of familiarity if there’s no groundbreaking new attraction on a subsequent visit. Yet, it’s still Disney World.

MLB 11: The Show is similar. The new thrill ride is analog controls. Beyond that, it’s pretty much the same place since my last visit. Still, however, it’s The Show.

Read More - MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Rodrian @ 03/09/11 02:40 PM
I agree. The analog control really seems to deepen the game, especially hitting is now even more realistic, because you are fored to wait for your pitch and work the count to get it.

# 2 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/09/11 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Good review and very fair. I know many will give you grunts when you say that fielding is relectively unchanged except for putting analog in.

The fielding did change more than just analog added though.

There is momentum. So missteps are critical. Every fielder is unique. You will want to make subs in late close games. Their jumps, speed, throwing, acceleration. All changed.

How they react to close played balls where you will take less risks with less than stellar fielders.

Way more realistic ball physics and collision on the field of play.

How can this not be noticed? We all noticed the first few hands on times at the CE.

# 3 Jeffy25 @ 03/09/11 02:49 PM
Am I the only person annoyed by the complete lack of attention to the franchise mode?

They didn't even touch it. The arbitration system is a complete albatross, the trade AI is terrible at best (I was offered Joe Mauer for a 'fakey' middle reliever, just an example) and contract renewable players get dumped into free agency without warning. You can't extend players in season, the draft is awful, you can't edit the players contract to make them accurate.

You can't play the game multiple years down the road and expect it to be anywhere near realistic, and yet, there are PC games like Mogul and OOTP that every year make gigantic strides in improving this. How come San Diego Studios can not?

Also, they really sold us on this co-op mode, but you can only do it in exhibition games, why not put that elsewhere in the game such as franchise or season mode?

I was let down, RTTS was much improved, and gameplay was much nicer, but for being the predominant seller on the block, I really expected some attention paid to the franchise mode. I feel like they just re-packaged last years game with a few patches.

# 4 Doran @ 03/09/11 02:53 PM
The fielding is so improved. Bad fielders really are bad fielders. Their throws aren't perfect. Their desperation dives might knock the ball down, but they'd be lucky to come up with it. I saw a RF in AA make a throw to third. The throw took him off his feet and he landed face first into the grass. And the throw was late, of course.

I actually kinda like Karros, when he's not just repeating Rex. His insight is new and fresh. That said, commentating still needs a complete overhaul on the way the booth is done.

# 5 ChaseB @ 03/09/11 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
The fielding did change more than just analog added though.

There is momentum. So missteps are critical. Every fielder is unique. You will want to make subs in late close games. Their jumps, speed, throwing, acceleration. All changed.

How they react to close played balls where you will take less risks with less than stellar fielders.

Way more realistic ball physics and collision on the field of play.

How can this not be noticed? We all noticed the first few hands on times at the CE.
My beef with fielding more has to do with OFers still. I just don't like someone like Coghlan running a ball down deep in the gap and running a perfect route in the process. The issue is it's hard to really figure out a better way to combat that unless you make some sort of "tentative running rating" where a guy who is new to a position does not run his max speed until he knows for sure where he thinks the ball will land.

# 6 Doormat @ 03/09/11 03:29 PM
An amazing review, enjoyed every single word there. Hope you enjoy the game also

# 7 Jgainsey @ 03/09/11 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
My beef with fielding more has to do with OFers still. I just don't like someone like Coghlan running a ball down deep in the gap and running a perfect route in the process. The issue is it's hard to really figure out a better way to combat that unless you make some sort of "tentative running rating" where a guy who is new to a position does not run his max speed until he knows for sure where he thinks the ball will land.
Yeah, that seems like it's always been a problem. Anyone in the game with a good fielding and speed rating can be a good CFer.

Though it does help that OFers in general are much more human than they've been in the past. I've already seen better doubles variety than last year, and I've only had the game for a day or so.

Btw, hats off to you guys for the new game review process. Great move, imo.

# 8 ty5oke @ 03/09/11 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy25
Am I the only person annoyed by the complete lack of attention to the franchise mode?

They didn't even touch it. The arbitration system is a complete albatross, the trade AI is terrible at best (I was offered Joe Mauer for a 'fakey' middle reliever, just an example) and contract renewable players get dumped into free agency without warning. You can't extend players in season, the draft is awful, you can't edit the players contract to make them accurate.

You can't play the game multiple years down the road and expect it to be anywhere near realistic, and yet, there are PC games like Mogul and OOTP that every year make gigantic strides in improving this. How come San Diego Studios can not?

Also, they really sold us on this co-op mode, but you can only do it in exhibition games, why not put that elsewhere in the game such as franchise or season mode?

I was let down, RTTS was much improved, and gameplay was much nicer, but for being the predominant seller on the block, I really expected some attention paid to the franchise mode. I feel like they just re-packaged last years game with a few patches.
You're not the only one but we all knew that this mode was largely untouched before we bought the game. Its been said that the franchise improvements will be made for next year and I can't wait.

As far as co-op, I agree with you 100%. For a studio who has always said they want to get it right before putting into the game, it seems like the right way to add co-op would be allowing it in franchise games. I guess what they mean by "getting it right" is that it has to work correctly and it still does but only in exhibition.

# 9 adayinthelife @ 03/09/11 03:41 PM
I see the general consensus being that this game is basically "the same, but better", but I have to say it hasn't been that way for me thus far.

Much like NHL 11 last year, The Show 11 feels like a legitimate step forward from the 09 version. While I did enjoy last years game, it truly felt like The Show 09.5 to me, and as such it just didn't get nearly as much play. Granted, this could be because I didn't play the hell out of '10, when I first popped in this years version I was floored.

The new controls are an acquired taste to be sure, but I'm really coming around to them. Visually speaking it just feels like the game is miles ahead of past iterations. The player models are MUCH improved, which in turn makes all of the animations seem more life like. I can't say enough about the custom camera feature either, as well as the true to life broadcast views.

So far I've been making use of the new controls, as well as the aforementioned cameras and it really does make it a whole new game. Maybe I'm not quite as stoked as I was the first time I played '09, but it's pretty damn close. I was hesitant to say that '10 was really an improvement over '09 because it just felt so similar that I was never really sucked in. This however, this feels fresh and I'm really loving it so far.

# 10 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/09/11 04:12 PM
Quote:
I can see that, and that is a legitimate complaint. It has been adjusted a little, but more can definitely be made. And will be brought up I am sure at the next focus tests.

I was just referring to fielding as how it feels, and plays out, is still largely changed compared to last year as a whole, and not just "analog added".

Is it perfect? No. But it is definitely a major improvement IMO where they feel unique, misplay balls, and lower fielders definitely are wanted to now be replaced by better ones late in close games.

And as others have said, liking the new review process! Making us read, which is what reviews are about! Not just scrolling for a score... leave the scores till the end, and those are for the PR/Marketing departments.

# 11 Bahnzo @ 03/09/11 06:06 PM
For starters, fielding is VASTLY changed. I noticed the very first game I played and every game since. If you don't notice it, then I don't know what to say. Balls down the lines no longer are sure bets to get by corner infielders, outfielders have much improved fielding animations that give them more options to field balls, etc.

Quote:
I spoke about this last year and basically it fell on deaf ears...where were you? And it's still my pet peeve...AI outfielders always take perfect routes to balls, especially balls that deflect off the outfield walls. They *always* play the deflection perfectly. The only times OF'ers make mistakes are in misjudging line drives they think they can catch, and then trying to make diving grabs that you already know they are going to miss.

I've got my own ideas on how it can/could be fixed, but until SCEA and others realize there is a problem here, I'll keep to myself I guess......

# 12 Uncle Stumpy @ 03/09/11 07:04 PM
I'm willing to venture that the Show won't be truly mind blowing again until the next console comes out. Not their fault, just a fact of gaming life. I'm not saying it's not a great game, but it's extremely hard to bring out the wow factor year after year on the same console.

# 13 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/09/11 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Stumpy
I'm willing to venture that the Show won't be truly mind blowing again until the next console comes out. Not their fault, just a fact of gaming life. I'm not saying it's not a great game, but it's extremely hard to bring out the wow factor year after year on the same console.
It is also a testament on how phenomenal the game plays.

But they can definitely spruce up the presentations, and such to add more wow. And I am sure the rumored/impending Franchise redesign will help as well.

But there is so much to this game, it has definitely wow'ed me over '09/'10.

# 14 DickDalewood @ 03/09/11 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
It is also a testament on how phenomenal the game plays.

But they can definitely spruce up the presentations, and such to add more wow. And I am sure the rumored/impending Franchise redesign will help as well.

But there is so much to this game, it has definitely wow'ed me over '09/'10.
Yah, IMO presentation should be the main focus for next year... commentary, graphical overlays, highlight shows, etc.

Adding an MLB Today type feature definitely wouldn't hurt either.

# 15 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/09/11 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Yah, IMO presentation should be the main focus for next year... commentary, graphical overlays, highlight shows, etc.

In total agreement. The gameplay is the best in the business right now, and arguably the best of all time. It truly needs some minor tweaks and that is about it. No need for any overhauls there.

Presentations like you mentioned will go a long long way in this series I believe.

# 16 Armor and Sword @ 03/09/11 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I see the general consensus being that this game is basically "the same, but better", but I have to say it hasn't been that way for me thus far.

Much like NHL 11 last year, The Show 11 feels like a legitimate step forward from the 09 version. While I did enjoy last years game, it truly felt like The Show 09.5 to me, and as such it just didn't get nearly as much play. Granted, this could be because I didn't play the hell out of '10, when I first popped in this years version I was floored.

The new controls are an acquired taste to be sure, but I'm really coming around to them. Visually speaking it just feels like the game is miles ahead of past iterations. The player models are MUCH improved, which in turn makes all of the animations seem more life like. I can't say enough about the custom camera feature either, as well as the true to life broadcast views.

So far I've been making use of the new controls, as well as the aforementioned cameras and it really does make it a whole new game. Maybe I'm not quite as stoked as I was the first time I played '09, but it's pretty damn close. I was hesitant to say that '10 was really an improvement over '09 because it just felt so similar that I was never really sucked in. This however, this feels fresh and I'm really loving it so far.
I pretty much share your same exact sentiments. I played the hell out of 2009. Almost three full franchise seasons playing about 100 games each season. I too passed on 2010 after playing the demo. Felt the same with some added polish. But when I played this demo I was floored. It truly is a major upgrade from 2009. I also must preface this by saying the 2009 version was my first ever Show baseball game. I played MVP 2005 for about 5 years on PS2 before making the jump into the PS3 and The Show is what pushed me to finally buy one.

I am not nuts about the new controls (pitching is very cool) but the rest is sorta meh for me. I love the pitcher/batter dual first and foremost and The Show is the best ever with no competition. I tried for a full season to embrace the fielding and base running (classic and analog) control schemes and just always found it too clunky and a legacy problem I still see is collision detection (no biggie for the most part except when I see guys slide right through players lol). So I started using auto fiedling and throwing as well as baserunning and I just love playing the game that way. It looks just jaw dropping and I get a real kick out of watching my guys back me up as I pitch. It really makes for a superb sim style experience.

This game with the new broadcast camera angles has taken this title to a new level of greatness. And the franchise ticker during my games is awesome. Now I feel part of the league and am able to keep up with stats and scores around the league.

Huge upgrade from 2009.

# 17 DJ @ 03/09/11 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood

Yep, all that stuff plus a Playoff Mode (how great would that be, especially once Knight and Co. start cranking out those Classic Roster sets?) would be the ultimate gaming experience.

# 18 Russell_SCEA @ 03/09/11 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
For starters, fielding is VASTLY changed. I noticed the very first game I played and every game since. If you don't notice it, then I don't know what to say. Balls down the lines no longer are sure bets to get by corner infielders, outfielders have much improved fielding animations that give them more options to field balls, etc.

I spoke about this last year and basically it fell on deaf ears...where were you? And it's still my pet peeve...AI outfielders always take perfect routes to balls, especially balls that deflect off the outfield walls. They *always* play the deflection perfectly. The only times OF'ers make mistakes are in misjudging line drives they think they can catch, and then trying to make diving grabs that you already know they are going to miss.

I've got my own ideas on how it can/could be fixed, but until SCEA and others realize there is a problem here, I'll keep to myself I guess......
We re-wrote every fielding attribute this year so we still didn't realize fielding needed some love? Not arguing on the part about guys taking perfect routes to the ball but its one of those things that sounds really really good on paper then you try to design it and the wheels fall off. Not saying it's something we won't try work on this year buts its far from easy.

# 19 econoodle @ 03/09/11 09:48 PM
my impressions..
your FIRST impressions are better thought out and well written them practically every websites FULL review.
Bravo.

And man did u hit it on the head with the analog pitching assessment.
man i love these front page articles.

this game is 'tv presentation' away from being untouchable.

# 20 Bahnzo @ 03/09/11 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
We re-wrote every fielding attribute this year so we still didn't realize fielding needed some love? Not arguing on the part about guys taking perfect routes to the ball but its one of those things that sounds really really good on paper then you try to design it and the wheels fall off. Not saying it's something we won't try work on this year buts its far from easy.
Russell, the new fielding shows you guys worked on it and gave it some attention....and it's done very well, as usual.

But I did bring up this route issue last year, and it pretty much was ignored by most (even by you I believe) and was written off as "guys dive and miss balls, don't know what you are talking about". Totally missed what I was talking about in other words. I never said it was something that was easy, just something that needs looked at.

Hit me up for a game or two, Russell...I wanna see if you are still the check-swing champ this year (FWIW - Russell can checkswing online like a mutha...it's so frustrating)

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.