Home
Madden 12 News Post

Donny Moore recently announced four players in Madden NFL 12 rated at 99. Are they overrated? Who do you feel should be rated this high?

Quote:
It's official...The Four Highest Rated Players in Madden NFL 12 are Tom Brady, Troy Polamalu, Antonio Gates, & Darrelle Revis all at 99 OVR

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Palo20 @ 07/21/11 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
Let's assume everyone is right and Nnamdi doesn't cover number 1 receivers. Then why isn't Stanford Routt a 90+, since he must be doing it and putting up nice numbers?
It's not that Nnandi doesn't cover number 1 WRs, it's just that he always plays RCB. If the number 1 lines up on the left, he covers him.

Nnandi and Revis are both special players.

Using 2009 as an example, Revis covered all number 1 WRs on the opposing team and when he was thrown at, QBs had a rating of about 32.0. That was Brady to Moss, Schaub to Johnson, Manning to Wayne (for one half), Ryan to White, Matt Moore to Steve Smith, Brees to whomever Revis covered that day, etc. Revis was thrown at as much as any CB in the league and held those combos to a rating of 32.0. Was he helped by a good pass rush? Yes, but those numbers are ludicrous. He made those guys worse than Jamarcus Russell.

Now also in 2009, Nnandi was thrown at less than 2 times per game (Revis saw over 120 passes his way) . Nnadi was right around 30 throws his way. That's legitimately shutting down half the field. Obviously other teams were showing him serious respect because he's that good.

I just think Revis is a once in a generation talent to do what he is doing in the most pass happy time in league history.

And for the record, Routt had an outstanding season last year. He should have a high rating.

# 122 ..GameOver.. @ 07/22/11 02:20 PM
I replied to a post made on the first page so I quickly deleted this since it is probably irrelevant at this point.

# 123 mojo6911 @ 07/22/11 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
Ed Reed and Peyton Manning should definitely be a 99..
No way Manning should have a 99. He had his worst season since 2002. He didn't even have a 2:1 TD:INT ratio, his yards per attempt were the 2nd lowest of his career. The only reason he threw for a lot of yards is because he threw it 50 times more than he ever has in a season.

Compared to Brady, who only threw 4 INTs all season, had more TDs than Manning, had a yard more per attempt than Manning. Brady had one of the greatest seasons of QB play all time and was throwing to guys like Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead, and two rookie TEs.

Manning is overrated. Ed Reed, I agree, should be a 99.

# 124 crenk @ 07/22/11 02:56 PM
My bro and I have been playing a 2 man franchise on madden 09 ps2 for the last couple of years. If memory serves we are in year 7 and I alone have something like 8 or 9 players ranked 99, he has about the same. Probably another 20-30 in the league. I think 5 or 6 Qb's are 99 etc. I Hope the progression in madden 12 limits it so after a few years we aren't overloaded with talent. Way better to get a 99 on your roster an feel like you really have a special player imo

# 125 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
It's not that Nnandi doesn't cover number 1 WRs, it's just that he always plays RCB. If the number 1 lines up on the left, he covers him.

Nnandi and Revis are both special players.

Using 2009 as an example, Revis covered all number 1 WRs on the opposing team and when he was thrown at, QBs had a rating of about 32.0. That was Brady to Moss, Schaub to Johnson, Manning to Wayne (for one half), Ryan to White, Matt Moore to Steve Smith, Brees to whomever Revis covered that day, etc. Revis was thrown at as much as any CB in the league and held those combos to a rating of 32.0. Was he helped by a good pass rush? Yes, but those numbers are ludicrous. He made those guys worse than Jamarcus Russell.

Now also in 2009, Nnandi was thrown at less than 2 times per game (Revis saw over 120 passes his way) . Nnadi was right around 30 throws his way. That's legitimately shutting down half the field. Obviously other teams were showing him serious respect because he's that good.

I just think Revis is a once in a generation talent to do what he is doing in the most pass happy time in league history.

And for the record, Routt had an outstanding season last year. He should have a high rating.
I'll say this about Revis, I have seen him frustrate big big time opposing WR's with no help more than I have seen any CB since Deion. That includes guys like Aso and Champ Bailey, etc.

Aso is a great player, bar none the 2nd best cover corner in the league, but Revis in what I have seen is simply at a different level. He's that good imo. I thought he was off a bit early last year, but the holdout and a hamstring injury I think put him behind, but he seemed to get stronger as the season progressed.

# 126 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpleen
revis also has safety help and exotic zone coverage to help. ASo was one on one with fits last year and fitz was invisible, no safety help nothing. Sorry, Aso is the best Cb in the league.
That's not really true. They play a ton of zero coverage, or play 1 coverage with safety help on the other side so they can load the box and do all that whacky stuff up front. Revis is alone on an island as much as anyone.

I've seen him now twice frustrate Vincent Jackson like no other including Aso, and he did a number on Andre Johnson unlike I have ever seen.

# 127 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 03:06 PM
Quote:
Except Aso is better. The raiderrs DID in fact use Aso a lot more on just #1 receivers and moved him around. he made Larry Fitzgeral dissappear last year all game. No safety helop, ever always 1 on 1, Revis does not play man to man 1 on 1, he almost always has safety help and other exptic coverages to help him.

Aso statistically has had 2 of the best years a cb can have in shutting down receivers.
Defensive stats particularly in the secondary are a lot of hokum.

Again the Jets play a TON of zero coverage. Or basically man/free rolled to Cromartie's side. But they have so much confidence in the two CB's they play zero coverage a lot. How do you think they are able to run those overload, and underneath zone blitzes?

The notion that Revis gets a ton of safety help is false. Their front's and blitzes are exotic, but their coverage in the secondary is pretty vanilla. You'll see a robber techinque occasionally, but that defense is predicated on pressue man coverage on the perimeter which allows them to overwhelm the offensive line with numbers.

Not sure what you're basing Aso being better than Revis on, other than some coverage stats.

# 128 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 03:06 PM
Quote:
Revis has a lot more help then NAm ever had.
Where are you getting this?

# 129 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 03:11 PM
Quote:
Again, revis gets a lot more help the man to man only NAM.

What are you basing Revis being better? ASO shuts down everyone period, with no help, ever.

Aso is also a great tackler.
Again where are you getting this info that Revis gets more help?

I've seen Revis do things to opposing WR's that I have not seen anyone else do. I have seen up close and personal him frustrate Vincent Jackson more than once, I have seen Jackson make plays vs. Aso.

I saw him do things to Andre Johnson I have never seen.

Aso is a great player, I just don't see how he's better than Revis, as someone else said, Revis to me is a once in a generation player.

If he didn't play for the Raiders I doubt we have this conversation.

# 130 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 03:18 PM
Quote:
What the fooooo>>> revis has done nothing ASo has not been doijng for 4 years................................ Aso is every bit as good as Revis, better even.

Aso was shnutting down everyone he touches for years, Revies gets beat more often... and he DOES have more help from his scheme..

he get more help from more blitzing which increases pressure which makes Cb cover for less time. he does get safety help from time to time a zone help. Aso gets NONE of this.

I have seen receivers make plays on revis,...how is that relevant Everyone gets beat sometimes...... And i know the play your talking about,.... it was not on ASO, Aso was supposed to release jackson but the Safety was not there so aso had to turn back and try and make up ground.....

Fitz nevr made a play on ASo, the hardest to stop one on one..... neither did wayne.....You act like Revis never gets beat he does and more so then aso, the stats show that.
Yeah it was the safeties' fault. LOL. If that was the only time Jackson beat him you might have a point.

Have you ever watched a Jets game? I don't think you really understand what they do on defense.

If you want to believe your opinion as fact as well, more power to you. If you want to believe you know more than I, again more power to you.

Imo, Revis is the best CB and possibly the best defender in the league. Until I see otherwise I'll stick with that.

# 131 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 03:29 PM
Quote:
Charles woodson was better then revis last year, Aso was as well. Again, I have seen revis get beat many times what is even your point bringing up one time aso got beat? want me to bring uop that time revis got beat? LMAO, thats a pathetic argument. deion got beat to.............................. Aso shuts people down with may more consistency and yes, Revis has a lot more help. Aso is also a much better tackler.

revis got beat often against the ravens, you never see aso get beat that much in a game.

revis plays on a great D aso does not.... who has more help? it's common sense. Put aso ona great D and you'll see a great CB.

Ask peyton Manning after ASo shut down wayne manning said "Thats the best CB I have ever seen i don't throw it his way". I'll take mannings word.

Aso = 1 td in 3 years.......................
Now you're changing your argument around. So no you really don't know much about the Jets defensive principles.

In your opinion Aso is better. You're welcome to that. I simply disagree. I've seen both play, a lot and live. Given what I know of the position and how those defenses deploy them I'll take Revis any day of the week. Maybe it's just me. If it is, I am ok with that..

# 132 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 03:33 PM
Quote:
good for you I also have seen both play, and Peyton manning has played against both, he said ASo was the best Cb he has seen. Given what i know of the position and the defense they deploy I'll take Aso any day of the week, manning would to. So would Rod woodson. I think those 2 know more then you.

revis is flashier, has a much better supporting cast and has the New york media hyping him up, Aso is way better.
Given what you've posted recently you disagreeing with me, makes me feel even better about my opinion. thank you.

There's no reason to get upset when others don't agree with your opinion.

# 133 iBlievN5 @ 07/22/11 03:43 PM
I want to jump in on this, I read a lot of profootballfocus.com and they do "in-depth" film analysis and give out grades.

So, you say Aso is an excellent tackler, these paragraphs:

"One name that jumps out at the lower end of the spectrum is that of free agent supertarget, Nnamdi Asomugha, who has missed 20 tackles, which is one in every 5.5 he has attempted. I’ve had brief discussions with people before on this topic and so I didn’t want to leave it with just the raw numbers – I wanted to look a little further into Asomugha’s misses.

13 of his 20 misses were against running backs on designed running plays, including all of his 2010 misses. I’ve heard it suggested that this is a result of Asomugha not being asked to support the run, and so he is often out of position and approaching the tackle from poor angles or positions, but that isn’t really the case. In the majority of times, he’s in position, but simply can’t make the stop. Six of the misses were in the passing game against receivers, but perhaps the most damning miss came from 2008 when he was stiff-armed to the ground by a scrambling Jay Cutler."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...ts-and-worsts/

say otherwise.

you say Revis has been had in coverage, and while that is somewhat true in the beginning of 2010, this article:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...is-overlooked/

details that by the end of 2010 Revis once again #1. Asomugha is amazing, but he's not Revis, he's not too far off of Revis though.

# 134 Bk1234903 @ 07/22/11 03:53 PM
Where is Mike Vick? Lol

# 135 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 04:06 PM
Quote:
This is the dumbest post i have ever read. name one Cb that can tackle a RB one on one? You know why Aso is left at times 1 on1 versus RB? The raiders play man to man, if a Rb gets past the LB's the CB's all have their backs turned to the play so they have tendency to give up big plays. Aso at times is left in the open field against a RB no CB can make that tackle often. Learn some football.

The stats clearly show aso much better in coverage. statistically ASo has the best shudown numbers ever. Again, revis also has a much betetr supporting cast and help.

Manning rod woodson and other players have said aso is the best corner in the game.
Yeah it's everyone else who needs to learn football. Classic.

# 136 iBlievN5 @ 07/22/11 04:12 PM
Quote:
This is the dumbest post i have ever read. name one Cb that can tackle a RB one on one? You know why Aso is left at times 1 on1 versus RB? The raiders play man to man, if a Rb gets past the LB's the CB's all have their backs turned to the play so they have tendency to give up big plays. Aso at times is left in the open field against a RB no CB can make that tackle often. Learn some football.

The stats clearly show aso much better in coverage. statistically ASo has the best shudown numbers ever. Again, revis also has a much betetr supporting cast and help.

Manning rod woodson and other players have said aso is the best corner in the game.
So, you didn't click the links.

# 137 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 04:13 PM
Quote:
Anyone who uses TACKLING RB"S as proof a cb is betteer then another dosnt have a clue that's a fact.
That wasn't what he was saying at all. He was arguing your point that Aso was a superior tackler to Revis.

However the notion that CB's cant tackle RB's is laughable. CB's are used in a run force role in today's defenses more than ever thanks to the proliferation of the cover 2 and zone combo defenses.

# 138 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 04:17 PM
Quote:
Learn some football.
Irony.

10 char.

# 139 bkrich83 @ 07/22/11 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLivingLegend
Lets all be realistic here. At what point in any era did you honestly think a player was the best of the best? In order to have a 99 rating that player needs to be absolutely flawless. Jordan in his prime didn't make every jumpshot, Sweetness didn't gain a consistent 10+ yds a carry, and Agassi didn't win every set! To have a 99 player in any game is FAR FETCHED! These ratings are simply thrown in there because the rating czar says so! Of all the players listed at 99 Tom Brady would be the closest for me. Maybe a 96 at Best!

To give someone a high rating like 99 they have to be without a doubt the best players of their sport, and potentially the greatest of all time. EA Sports is not in the game, They are trying to get in it. Too bad they are failing miserably!
Excellent points.

# 140 Automatik @ 07/22/11 04:18 PM
Quote:
Anyone who uses TACKLING RB"S as proof a cb is betteer then another dosnt have a clue that's a fact.
A CB who can tackle is a COMPLETE corner, Deon Sanders was the bes shutdon corner ever but not the most complete corner.
Champ Bailey and Aso are complete corners I've seen both make amzing one on one tackles vs RB,WR etc...
The only reason I haven't put Revis in yet is because he hasn't done it for long enough.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.