Home
Madden 12 News Post

ESPN The Gamer has posted the Madden NFL 12 player ratings for the top 6 wide receivers in the game.

Andre Johnson: 97
Larry Fitzgerald: 96
Roddy White: 96
Reggie Wayne: 95
Calvin Johnson: 93
Greg Jennings: 93

Are there any changes you would like to see, or are they just about right?

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 at23steelers @ 08/04/11 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks5
I agree with most of that. However I would still switch White and Wayne. His days are numbered but he seems like the most complete receiver. But there is NOOOO way that Desean is worse than Wallace and only one spot higher than Bowe......in my opinion.
Stats last year:

Mike Wallace - 60 catches, 1257 yards, 10 TD's, 26 catches of 20 yards or more (most in NFL), 10 catches of 40 yards or more (most in NFL)

Desean Jackson - 47 catches, 1056 yards, 6 TD's, 21 catches of 20 yards or more, 8 catches of 40 yards or more

Who is really the bigger deep threat?

# 102 BleacherBum2310 @ 08/04/11 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
They both piss me off lol. One week they put up 150 yards and a couple TDs and the next they'll put up 1 catch for 20 yards. I think Calvin has the better skill set personally and that Jennings is just in the absolute perfect system to get the most out of his skillset, but obviously that's impossible to really prove.
Yup. That's thing the pisses me off about Jennings the most.

Yeah, I'd give the Nod to Calvin as well, just saying.. He's not far and ahead the better WR.

# 103 ConnSKINS26 @ 08/04/11 11:30 PM
Quote:
He was a stud last season but I still think of Steve smith as the giants #1 receiver. I'd still take nicks over bowe any day.
Steve Smith is nowhere near as talented or dominant as Hakeem Nicks. Nevermind the fact that Smith will likely be out for the first 6 weeks of the regular season on the PUP list.

Agreed on Nicks over Bowe.

# 104 ConnSKINS26 @ 08/04/11 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Stats last year:

Mike Wallace - 60 catches, 1257 yards, 10 TD's, 26 catches of 20 yards or more (most in NFL), 10 catches of 40 yards or more (most in NFL)

Desean Jackson - 47 catches, 1056 yards, 6 TD's, 21 catches of 20 yards or more, 8 catches of 40 yards or more

This is exactly what I've been talking about this whole thread. I'll repeat: Wallace has already lived up to DJax's hype, while being a more complete receiver on a less talented team. He already is what everyone says DJax can be, and he's going into his 3rd year now, with nowhere to go but up.

The numbers he put up last year, while NOT being in the top-20 for targets, are almost historical (when looked at in that context).

# 105 at23steelers @ 08/04/11 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnSKINS26
This is exactly what I've been talking about this whole thread. I'll repeat: Wallace has already lived up to DJax's hype, while being a more complete receiver on a less talented team. He already is what everyone says DJax can be, and he's going into his 3rd year now, with nowhere to go but up.

The numbers he put up last year, while NOT being in the top-20 for targets, are almost historical (when looked at in that context).
I wouldn't say a less talented team at all, but agree with everything else. Desean Jackson is more agile IMO, makes people miss more often, as witnessed why he is a punt returner and Mike Wallace is not. However, Mike learning to go over the middle and some comeback routes.

# 106 ConnSKINS26 @ 08/04/11 11:49 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't say a less talented team at all, but agree with everything else. Desean Jackson is more agile IMO, makes people miss more often, as witnessed why he is a punt returner and Mike Wallace is not. However, Mike learning to go over the middle and some comeback routes.
Brain fart, I meant more talented offense. Good catch!

# 107 The_Wise_One @ 08/05/11 12:16 AM
Quote:
Stats last year:

Wasn't desean out with a concussion for awhile last season?

Regardless both are dynamic players I just believe desean has a bit more flash.

# 108 at23steelers @ 08/05/11 12:23 AM
Quote:
Wasn't desean out with a concussion for awhile last season?

Regardless both are dynamic players I just believe desean has a bit more flash.
So flash makes up for a lack of catches, yards, and TD's??

# 109 The_Wise_One @ 08/05/11 12:40 AM
Quote:
So flash makes up for a lack of catches, yards, and TD's??
They are very similar but the flash refers to return ability.

# 110 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/05/11 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJayman5
Isn’t it amazing that a man nicknamed “Megatron” still doesn’t get the credit he deserves?

Seriously, what else does Calvin Johnson have to do to be rated accurately by Madden developers, NFL analysts and fans.

No receiver is as good as Calvin Johnson in this league. That’s right, I said it.

Once again, he’s being highly underrated in Madden. Roddy White and Reggie Wayne are rated higher then him. Give me a break already. White and Wayne are 96 and 95 overall, respectively, while the almighty Megatron is a mere 93? This is BULL!!!!

You mean to tell me Megatron is as good as that Packers Cheesehead Greg Jennings? Poppycock!

I can live with Andre Johnson being No. 1 Yet Calvin’s abilities on the field and statistics during his short career should propel him above the likes of White and Wayne, that’s for sure.

Wayne is still a solid route runner with great hands, but he does not have the speed he once used to. He is a declining veteran, who by the way, gets to play with Peyton freakin’ Manning! Could you imagine if Calvin was able to play with Peyton instead of Detroit’s quarterback carousel of Matthew Stafford, Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton!? His numbers would be off the charts!

Don’t even get me started on Roddy White. White has developed into one of the best receivers in the NFL, no doubt, but by no means is he better for Madden. Megatron is bigger, faster and stronger. He has the great hands and solid route running as well, plus he can leap out of the building.

Once again, let’s take a look at the Calvin’s quarterback carousel last season compared to the consistent and durable Matt Ryan in Atlanta. If Matty Ice was tossing Calvin the rock instead of Roddy, he would’ve been a superior fantasy quarterback last season.

There’s no questioning who you want for this game. And you know damn well if you’re starting a franchise and have the choice between Megatron, White and Wayne, you’re taking Megatron and not even thinking twice...

IM A LIONS FAN & WE NEVER GET RESPECT WE DESERVE!!!!! SMH.
I hope it doesn't piss you off that my response to that essay is just a couple of words, but here I go anyway:

Potential =/= Best WR

Calvin SHOULD BE the best WR in the NFL. Physically, he has everything you ever hope for in a WR. However, he still isn't consistent enough to put him over Wayne or Roddy in my opinion. Yes, his QB situation sucks because Stafford is constantly hurt, but Calvin himself has been inconsistent too. Despite the fact that he's athletically superior to probably all of these WRs, he catches BY FAR the fewest passes of them all, and while some of that can be attributed to his QB situation, some of it also has to do with the fact that he just disappears for portions of games. Until he consistently puts it together, or until White or Wayne crumble, Johnson is right about where he should be (though I think he's better than Jennings as you said).

# 111 ANDROMADA 1 @ 08/05/11 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJayman5
Isn’t it amazing that a man nicknamed “Megatron” still doesn’t get the credit he deserves?

Seriously, what else does Calvin Johnson have to do to be rated accurately by Madden developers, NFL analysts and fans.

No receiver is as good as Calvin Johnson in this league. That’s right, I said it.

Once again, he’s being highly underrated in Madden. Roddy White and Reggie Wayne are rated higher then him!?!?. Give me a break already. White and Wayne are 96 and 95 overall, respectively, while the almighty Megatron is a mere 93? This is BULL!!!!

You mean to tell me Megatron is as good as that Packers Cheesehead Greg Jennings?

I can live with Andre Johnson being No. 1 Yet Calvin’s abilities on the field and statistics during his short career should propel him above the likes of White and Wayne, that’s for sure.

Could you imagine if Calvin was able to play with Peyton instead of Detroit’s quarterback carousel of Matthew Stafford, Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton!? His numbers would be off the charts!

Don’t even get me started on Roddy White. White has developed into one of the best receivers in the NFL, no doubt, but by no means is he better then Calvin. Megatron is bigger, faster and stronger. He has the great hands and solid route running as well, plus he can leap out of the building.

Once again, let’s take a look at the Calvin’s quarterback carousel last season compared to the consistent and durable Matt Ryan in Atlanta. If Matty was tossing Calvin the rock instead of Roddy, he would’ve been a superior fantasy quarterback last season.

And you know damn well if you’re starting a franchise and you have the choice between Megatron, White and Wayne, you’re taking Megatron and not even thinking twice...

(But honestly if i had too give up calvin johnson as a lions fan. The only WR i would be comfortable in getting in return is Andre Johnson)

IM A TRUE LIONS FAN! & IT HURTS TO BE DISRESPECTED LIKE THIS... SMH
Smart man. For Madden purposes I would have to agree Calvin is the second most dominate wr in the game.

# 112 Bellsprout @ 08/05/11 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBum2310
What's with the all Jennings hate. Granted I'll admit he's not better than Calvin, but take a look at Calvins last 3 Years and Jennings last 3 Very comparable.

Jennings is a very underrated WR IMO.
Jennings isn't flashy.

I feel like 99% of the people hating on Jennings don't look at his stats, watch him on Sundays, or pay any attention to anything besides who makes the most SportsCenter Top 10's every year.

# 113 Tyrant8RDFL @ 08/05/11 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
miles austin should be on that list. top ten anyway. but i think he's at least a 93.
I was going to post on this, but enough was said, and Mile shad one good year lets see what happens this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglish20
DeSeasn Jackson is not top a top 10 receiver. Neither is Austin.
Agree 100%. DeSean shows up here and there. He is not even involved in every drive. The boy is dangerous cause he will hit that HR on you, but to me that does not count you as a top ten wr.

Top ten in my opinion is a Wr who is involved in pretty much every drive. A wr who is clutch
on 3rd downs, in the redzone, and in a 2 minute drive.

I think we are basing this top ten off of ESPN highlights and what the media wants to showcase. Look at the list of the top ten wr's stats wise last season.

1.Brandon Lyodd 77 Catches 1,448 Rec Yrds 18.8 Avg 11 Td
2.Roddy White 115 Catches 1,389 Rec Yrds 12.1 Avg 10 Td
3.Reggie Wayne 111 Catches 1,355 Rec Yrds 12.2 Avg 6 Td
4.Greg Jennings 76 Catches 1,265 Rec Yrds 16.6 Avg 12 Td
5.MIke wallace 60 Catches 1,257 Rec Yrds 21.0 Avg 10 Td
6.Andre Johnson 86 Catches 1,216 Rec Yrds 14.1 Avg 8 Td
7.Dwayne Bowe 72 Catches 1,162 Rec Yrds 16.1 Avg 15 Td
8.Larry Fitzgerald 90 Catches 1,137 Rec Yrds 12.6 Avg 6 Td
9.Calvin johnson 77 Catches 1,120 Rec Yrds 14.5 Avg 12 Td
10.Santana Moss 93 Catches 1,115 Rec Yrds 12.0 Avg 6 Td

To me is more about receptions. This tells me you catch the ball underneath a ton. You get involved in most of the drives, and run good routes. Top 5 in receptions are:

Roddy White
Reggie wayne
Santanna Moss
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson

Funny thing is Jason Whitten is #3 with 94 receptions, but we are talking Wr's.

A Player like DeSean is not even a top 10 receiver in my mind.

His number are not really impressive. They just indicate he is a HR hitter. Which is nice to have on a team don't get me wrong, but we are talking about all around top 5 or 10 WR's in the league.

D.Jackson Ranked 71 in receptions last season with 47. He played 14 games. That is not impressive at all. Like I said he is just a HR hitter. Once his speed declines his career will be over. Not a great route runner.

Hakeem Nicks is a much better all around wr than DeSean Jackson, and Steve Smith of the Giants. They catch the ball anywhere on the field. Nicks more with his size and strength, Smith with his great route running.

H.Nicks ranked 12th in receptions. His stats are: 79 Catches 1,052 Rec Yrds 13.3 Avg 11Td
Also played in 12 games. Missed out on 3 games. There was 1 game where he just did not start.

Why was DeSean even mentioned is truly a mystery, But there is more to a top 10 WR than speed.

My Top 5 WR's for last season would be in this order

1.Roddy White 115 Catches 1,389 Rec Yrds 12.1 Avg 10 Td
2.Reggie Wayne 111 Catches 1,355 Rec Yrds 12.2 Avg 6 Td
3.Larry Fitzgerald 90 Catches 1,137 Rec Yrds 12.6 Avg 6 Td
4.Andre Johnson 86 Catches 1,216 Rec Yrds 14.1 Avg 8 Td
5.Brandon Lloyd 77 Catches 1,448 Rec Yrds 18.8 Avg 11 Td
6.Calvin johnson 77 Catches 1,120 Rec Yrds 14.5 Avg 12 Td
7.Santana Moss 93 Catches 1,115 Rec Yrds 12.0 Avg 6 Td

Now how can I remove a player like Lloyd when he produced better number than Megatron, and had a circus at QB, and then we have S.Moss with 93 receptions.

There are so many other WR's that run great routes that are not even on this list that I would choose over players like DeSean, Wallace, or any WR who is just a HR hitter.

Not in rank order just what is poping into my head at this time.
Eddie Royal , H.Nicks, S.Smith (Both of them). Brandon marshall, Santonio Holmes,
Sidney Rice, Boldin, Wes Welker, Vincent Jackson, And some others, but Im sure you get the idea.

To be a top ten WR its more than jus speed and highlights. Not all players get the same exposure.

# 114 ybtherockstar @ 08/05/11 09:46 AM
Glad to see greg getting some love on this list. Can't wait to use him.

# 115 BleacherBum2310 @ 08/05/11 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
Jennings isn't flashy.

I feel like 99% of the people hating on Jennings don't look at his stats, watch him on Sundays, or pay any attention to anything besides who makes the most SportsCenter Top 10's every year.
Couldn't agree more.

Also like was said in Previous post, I think he also gets Knocked because of the System he plays in. People would tend to argue that if he played in any other system he wouldn't be of successful. I disagree.. I disagree w/that 100%

# 116 Tyrant8RDFL @ 08/05/11 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBum2310
Couldn't agree more.

Also like was said in Previous post, I think he also gets Knocked because of the System he plays in. People would tend to argue that if he played in any other system he wouldn't be of successful. I disagree.. I disagree w/that 100%
I can't see why there would be argument about G.Jennings. He is a solid wr, and on my list his is number #8.

He has that balance of a solid underneath receiver, and that HR threat. He put up solid numbers last season.

Definitely a solid WR.

My problem was DeSean being mentioned in the top 5 or top 10.

# 117 pootytang @ 08/05/11 10:45 PM
Super happy to see no one arguing that AJ being the beast he is.

As a Texan fan, he is about the only thing I can be proud of.

# 118 tebowfanai @ 08/05/11 11:14 PM
I'll just stick with my guy, Reggie Wayne. Steady, consistent, and always reliable. I'm very pleased with the ratings though, Madden got this one right as far as the top 6 go.

# 119 RayAllen20 @ 08/06/11 01:50 PM
My top 6 would be...

1. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Roddy White
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Greg Jennings

Andre Johnson is definitely the best as he flat out dominated games, and he still has some of the best stats in the league despite missing games last year with injuries.

You have to remember the last time Fitzgerald had a good QB throwing him the ball in Kurt Warner and how amazing he was in the playoff run for the Cardinals (Anquan Boldin helped too). Fitzy is still a beast and even though I don't know if he'll have an amazing year since I don't know about Kolb, he deserves a very high catching, CIT, spectacular catch, jumping, and route running ratings.

Calvin Johnson's ratings should be very high also due to his athleticism and speed. When you watch him play you know he's one of the best receivers but he doesn't have that great of a QB throwing him the ball most of the time or a legitimate threat at wide receiver across from him.

Then I'd go with Roddy White after a great year with Matt Ryan last year, Reggie Wayne who is still a great route runner but declining a little bit, and Greg Jennings was fantastic in that Super bowl run for the Packers. After this 6 I'd look at players like Brandon Marshall, Santonio Holmes, Anquan Boldin, and Miles Austin.

# 120 adriano @ 08/06/11 03:25 PM
Jennings should have been rated higher, White should be a little lower..
Other than that I am good with the top 6..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.