Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Digital Trends has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
There are other new features in the game, such as having the ability to interact with fans, and shot reviews. At one point during one of the games, my opponent went for a three-pointer as the clock zeroed out. He nailed the basket, but it was so close to the wire that the shot went up for review. It was ultimately ruled against — the shot was close, but we all saw on the replay that the ball left his fingers after the clock ran out — and I won because of it. It’s a nice added touch for a simulation that already receives high marks from fans and critics.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Da_Czar @ 08/25/11 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Hey Czar,

Can you also ask if classic teams will be usable online in 2k12 ??
Mintsa I don't anticipate getting an answer to this one.

# 62 eko718 @ 08/25/11 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Okay fam this is the gospel truth right here. Just got off the bat phone with deuceK. One you unlock a classic team they are available for use in ANY other game mode. Same as last year with the exception that they can now also be used in playoff mode.

The playoff mode request was one of many that I made on behalf of the community that got put in the game this year ( for those who still believe they don't listen to their fans)
THANK YOU CZAR! This was a burning question of mine. Good look on that request.

# 63 King_B_Mack @ 08/25/11 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Okay fam this is the gospel truth right here. Just got off the bat phone with deuceK. One you unlock a classic team they are available for use in ANY other game mode. Same as last year with the exception that they can now also be used in playoff mode.

The playoff mode request was one of many that I made on behalf of the community that got put in the game this year ( for those who still believe they don't listen to their fans)
Dammit Czar, 2K just got another 60 dollars and my life for the next six or seven months cause of this post. I already was buying 12 when I knew Jordan was back on the cover, I was giving another 60 when I heard about the Greatest Mode and now this? If you ain't on salary with them you should be lol. Me and my peeps are going to waste countless hours on Playoffs man.

# 64 youvalss @ 08/25/11 02:39 PM
Thanks Czar! Good thing we have you here.

# 65 Da_Czar @ 08/25/11 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulP34
Infamous Czar actually replied to my post LOL
soo hold on, how do they review it though?/ do they show it on the big box on top of the court? do you actually see refs pointing there hands up weather the shot is good or not? cause I remember i saw that on nba live series * cant remember which one though* how does it work?? im kinda confused here , does it cover the whole tv screen?? details please
Man I am just one of the family Abdul. This is going from memory but it was like watching it on tv. Full screen not in a box. Ref walks over to the table and I can't remember if he puts on headphones or not but he watches the review then like a tv broadcast they show us what he is watching I think and then you can see the Ref make his decision. Very immersive.

# 66 Pared @ 08/25/11 03:46 PM
Damn you're not going to let them have anything to see come release day.

Half the fun is getting the game and seeing this stuff for the first time.... like the intro last year.

# 67 Colts18 @ 08/25/11 03:51 PM
Not to be a jerk but shot reviews were in NBA Live 06. Why is everyone so happy about this? Just an extra animation/cut scene more than anything.

# 68 Da_Czar @ 08/25/11 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Damn you're not going to let them have anything to see come release day.

Half the fun is getting the game and seeing this stuff for the first time.... like the intro last year.
LOL I figured somebody will post a video of it soon anyway. Plus I wait until after they read about it at least.

# 69 qpc123 @ 08/25/11 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
Not to be a jerk but shot reviews were in NBA Live 06. Why is everyone so happy about this? Just an extra animation/cut scene more than anything.
Because it hasn't been in 2k games, just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't.

# 70 youvalss @ 08/25/11 04:16 PM
I don't think Live had replays of the last-second shots reviewed. I think 2K has it, plus it will probably be a little deeper than just seeing the ref signaling.

# 71 VDusen04 @ 08/25/11 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
For me it's about immersion. It's not a matter of which game had it first. I never played NBA Live 06 so it doesn't really mean a whole lot that shot reviews were in an iteration of a basketball game one time. I'm more pleased that they'll be present in the game I'll be playing this next year, NBA 2K12.

In the past, buzzer beaters felt grossly overlooked in the 2K series. And truthfully, there is something horribly anti-climatic about discovering whether your buzzer beater counted (or didn't count) based off of whether the score overlay increased your point total. More celebratory reactions, an exploding crowd, more consistent commentary feedback and shot reviews all play a part in maximizing one of the most exciting plays in the game.

# 72 joel_g @ 08/25/11 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Wow, this video really put things in perspective for me. I'm about to turn 19 soon, so I never played the old basketball video games (if I did, I don't remember), but I remember watching my older cousins play. Its been so long sense I've seen the old b-ball games, that I forgot what they actually looked like and just how far we have come sense then. Sometimes you have to see or play old games to really appreciate what developers are delivering now.

Before I watched this video I really didn't see what the buzz behind this new mode was all about. But this video really brought back my memories of the old b-ball games, and I now understand why so many older gamers would be crazy about this new mode. I think I'll have more fun with it as well

# 73 LeBronistheKing @ 08/25/11 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_g
Wow, this video really put things in perspective for me. I'm about to turn 19 soon, so I never played the old basketball video games (if I did, I don't remember), but I remember watching my older cousins play. Its been so long sense I've seen the old b-ball games, that I forgot what they actually looked like and just how far we have come sense then. Sometimes you have to see or play old games to really appreciate what developers are delivering now.

Before I watched this video I really didn't see what the buzz behind this new mode was all about. But this video really brought back my memories of the old b-ball games, and I now understand why so many older gamers would be crazy about this new mode. I think I'll have more fun with it as well
Ya man, trust me I'm 30 and I grew up playing Bulls vs blazers, NBA live 95 and NBA shootout. I don't think the younger generation really understands what having all these classic teams in the game means to those of us who had to deal with this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JROy8CY8zQ

# 74 qpc123 @ 08/25/11 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBronistheKing
Ya man, trust me I'm 30 and I grew up playing Bulls vs blazers, NBA live 95 and NBA shootout. I don't think the younger generation really understands what having all these classic teams in the game means to those of us who had to deal with this...

I was watching this on full screen although I used to have this game when I was a kid I guess I never noticed how out of proportion the players are to the court. If Ewing is supposed to be 7 feet tall in the game it looks like the free throw line is about 21 feet from the basket.

# 75 VDusen04 @ 08/25/11 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBronistheKing

I have to be honest, NBA Live '95 was legit when it first arrived on the scene. It was the first simulation break from all those side-scrolling "Bulls vs. Blazers" types. Unfortunately, I had to roll with NBA Showdown '94 for two years because I think I spent my '95 basketball game money on NBA Jam: Tournament Edition or something.

The first NBA Live I had was Live '96, and it was awesome. The courts were vaguely representative of each team's real court art, there were starting lineups, and it was the first game to offer a create-a-player. Further, the create-a-player had a secret mode where you could enter in legend's names (like Bill Russell) and their likeness and attributes would appear and you could add them to teams. It was pretty awesome, and probably illegal.

# 76 LeBronistheKing @ 08/25/11 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I have to be honest, NBA Live '95 was legit when it first arrived on the scene. It was the first simulation break from all those side-scrolling "Bulls vs. Blazers" types. Unfortunately, I had to roll with NBA Showdown '94 for two years because I think I spent my '95 basketball game money on NBA Jam: Tournament Edition or something.

The first NBA Live I had was Live '96, and it was awesome. The courts were vaguely representative of each team's real court art, there were starting lineups, and it was the first game to offer a create-a-player. Further, the create-a-player had a secret mode where you could enter in legend's names (like Bill Russell) and their likeness and attributes would appear and you could add them to teams. It was pretty awesome, and probably illegal.

I absolutely remember that. I remember being so geeked when it happened and also wondered if it was legal lol. Now we actually get Russell's whole team in black and white with signature styles and no three point line........October cant get here soon enough man.

# 77 neptuneniq @ 08/26/11 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by williskb24
why dont the 01-02 kings have a rival???

whats going on, this dont make sense..they must have someone to dance with in their time line...01-02 lakers???

goddam laker fans are spoiled...u already got a ton of laker teams in the Greatest Mode along with 98 kobe shaq...and u want more?!

01-02 are DLC dude, so they're not necessarily part of the GREATEST mode. Along with warriors, it's more for the bay area fans

# 78 tril @ 08/26/11 07:17 PM
it's good too see that the classic teams are bringing some older gamers back. However I dont think that the number of older gamers buying NBA 2k12 will increase by that much.
Thats because when it comes to video games, it's either you're a gamer or you're not. Im an avid older gamer and an avid sports fan. so playing these games have never stopped. I would bet that the majority of older gamers are the same way.
In addition, even if 2k12 did bring back some older gamers, the complexity of the game would probably turn them away.
In order for this mode to be successful with new or retuning gamers, the game would have to be as simple as playing those games found on social media networks.

Nostalgia will only go so far. I can see older parents playing a game every once in a while. However, if their kid isnt into the NBA 2k franchise, the likelihood of them buying a copy for themselves will be very low.

Thats my take.

# 79 Knickerbocker @ 08/26/11 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
it's good too see that the classic teams are bringing some older gamers back. However I dont think that the number of older gamers buying NBA 2k12 will increase by that much.
Thats because when it comes to video games, it's either you're a gamer or you're not. Im an avid older gamer and an avid sports fan. so playing these games have never stopped. I would bet that the majority of older gamers are the same way.
In addition, even if 2k12 did bring back some older gamers, the complexity of the game would probably turn them away.
In order for this mode to be successful with new or retuning gamers, the game would have to be as simple as playing those games found on social media networks.

Nostalgia will only go so far. I can see older parents playing a game every once in a while. However, if their kid isnt into the NBA 2k franchise, the likelihood of them buying a copy for themselves will be very low.

Thats my take.
2k12 can be even simpler than that. Forgot the playstation move mode? So they did think about that as well.

# 80 B-Wills @ 08/26/11 10:28 PM
awesome add, but I hope the shot reviews aren't ridiculously obvious like in Live 06

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.