Home
News Post

Operation Sports, the largest and most extensive sports video game website around, is seeking new feature writers, reviewers and news commentators right now. We are currently seeking qualified and talented sports gamers to join our team of sports gaming professionals.

We are looking for people who are clearly passionate about sports games, and they must also have a wide range of sports and gaming knowledge -- casual fans need not apply. Writers at Operation Sports have gone on to work for such companies and organizations as EA, THQ, Activision, the WWE, the NFL and several major publications.

Simply put, this a great place that connects you to all facets of the sports world. We expect you to reflect the passion of writers past and present. This is an amazing team, and we are looking to add only the best to it.

We currently have two different types of positions open, and we are expecting you to pick one. The first is a feature/reviewer/previewer position. We want you to be able to write about sports games from the perspective of a feature writer and games reviewer. The second position is for a "news blogger" because we are looking to spice up our news coverage, and we are looking for one qualified person to help with this.

This is a paying freelance writing position. So be on top of your game because we definitely are.

Your application should contain:

-Your name

-Your basic biographical info: age, location, favorite teams, etc.

-Indicate if you are either applying for the news blogger or feature writer position.

-Two short relevant writing samples (preferably 400 words or less)

-A brief sketch of your sports gaming passion in 250 words or less. You want to be DQ'ed quickly? Go over the word count limit, we dare you.

-A resume detailing any prior experience as a writer or other qualifications.

-A Twitter username (Not required, but highly beneficial)

-Your OS forum Name (Again, not required but also highly beneficial)

-If you are applying for the feature writer position, please indicate which games you feel you are able to cover the best. Don't just list everything, we won't believe you.

OR

-If you are applying for the news blogger position, please provide a brief blog post sample. Cover the story linked here for Operation Sports.

Get everything together in either an e-mail or within a single .rtf or .doc attachment -- don't send everything in multiple attachments unless you want to annoy us all. Please send your app to me at [email protected].

Your work will be based on meeting deadlines first and foremost, thus you will have to get your application in by the deadline to qualify. The deadline to get an application in is noon (EST) on September 12, 2011. Any applications sent in after, even if you are Hemingway reborn, will not even be read.

We will reach out to qualified applicants shortly after to let you know about the next step.

This will be a tiered and highly competitive application process, as we expect hundreds of applicants. We wish everyone the best of luck and cannot wait to see your applications!!!

Member Comments
# 21 Aces15 @ 09/05/11 09:22 PM
Quote:
-Two short relevant writing samples (preferably 400 words or less)
Is there a certain preference for the category of these writing samples? For example, can it be a blog post, an article, a forum post, etc.

# 22 DLowery @ 09/06/11 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Hey, congrats on the FSU degree. I also graduated from FSU with an English/Communications degree.
What are the odds of that? haha, what class?

# 23 bronco92 @ 09/06/11 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
I would love to apply but I live in Australia, does that disqualify me?
I live in Australia, I'm Co-CEO. Does that answer your question?

# 24 boomhauertjs @ 09/06/11 09:17 AM
Does the brief blog sample on the Kotaku article count as one of the short relevant writing samples or is it in addition to those writing samples?

# 25 RaychelSnr @ 09/06/11 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Does the brief blog sample on the Kotaku article count as one of the short relevant writing samples or is it in addition to those writing samples?
It's separate. The news article should be a pretty short piece in and of itself

# 26 sroz39 @ 09/06/11 12:22 PM
I think, after disqualifying myself many times over because of a lack of experience, it's time I apply. Can't hurt.

# 27 DustinT @ 09/06/11 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I think, after disqualifying myself many times over because of a lack of experience, it's time I apply. Can't hurt.
That's the spirit

# 28 RaychelSnr @ 09/06/11 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces15
Is there a certain preference for the category of these writing samples? For example, can it be a blog post, an article, a forum post, etc.
Any of the above, whatever you feel is best.

# 29 adayinthelife @ 09/06/11 03:51 PM
For the news blogger position: is this more commentary based, straight up news, or something in between (similar to a Kotaku or Joystiq posting)?

# 30 RaychelSnr @ 09/06/11 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
For the news blogger position: is this more commentary based, straight up news, or something in between (similar to a Kotaku or Joystiq posting)?
You nailed it on the something in between.

# 31 MaynEv3nT @ 09/07/11 02:18 PM
Just applied! Nervous yet excited at the same time. Good luck everyone!

# 32 LeBron_TheKing_James @ 09/08/11 12:44 PM
"two relevant short writing examples":
any modifications refering the subject? Does it have to be about games/gaming? Or could it be about sports in general?
Should it be a complete text or does an extract do the job too?

# 33 acts238shaun @ 09/08/11 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_TheKing_James
"two relevant short writing examples":
any modifications refering the subject? Does it have to be about games/gaming? Or could it be about sports in general?
Should it be a complete text or does an extract do the job too?
This is what I'm wondering.

# 34 acts238shaun @ 09/08/11 05:54 PM
Let me clarify...I am going for the news blogger position. Do I need two 400 word samples (or less) plus 250 words essay on sports gaming and then the piece on the article? The first pages confused me a bit.

# 35 electrickeeper @ 09/08/11 11:01 PM
What ever happened in the search for a soccer writer?

# 36 ChaseB @ 09/08/11 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrickeeper
What ever happened in the search for a soccer writer?
We found one who has worked out swimmingly so far for us.

# 37 electrickeeper @ 09/09/11 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Good deal, guess I missed the announcement. Catching up on some reading now!

# 38 acts238shaun @ 09/09/11 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Hey man, never heard from you about my question.

EDIT: this was meant for Chris, sorry.

# 39 Undead @ 09/09/11 05:31 PM
I'm going for the job, only recently turned 16, by the way, do we have to send you an actual resume or can it just be a brief summary of your skills because that's what I did but I have an actual Resume if need be and I can easily send it once more with the resume attached this time around.... although there isn't much to see xD

# 40 RaychelSnr @ 09/10/11 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead
I'm going for the job, only recently turned 16, by the way, do we have to send you an actual resume or can it just be a brief summary of your skills because that's what I did but I have an actual Resume if need be and I can easily send it once more with the resume attached this time around.... although there isn't much to see xD
Whatever works!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.