Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted an article discussing the ongoing NBA 2K12 online issues with Jeff Thomas, the director of development at Visual Concepts.

MrPurple0 gets a shoutout, as well.

Quote:
Approaching Kotaku to talk about the online problems, the key thing Thomas wanted to get off his chest was that the game's development team and community managers were not, as MrPurple0 alleged, ignoring the customer, sitting in a little room counting money and doing nothing.

"We're not ignoring this," he says firmly. "We are listening. We are reaching out. We've had guys on the team send [direct messages] to people asking 'Hey, can you tell me what you saw there.' We want to know of all these problems and make sure this is not something that tarnishes our game."

"We love My Crew," Thomas said. "But it's one of the more complicated features to put online. If we wanted to have a game this year, we needed to keep the feature set tight and small. When you get involved with Crews, there's a whole thing with data exchanging that gets involved."

My Crew was the online experience in NBA 2K11 where gamers took their created player from the "My Player" career mode, formed up teams and, in an environment supporting 10-player multiplayer, ran some ball. It was like having a regular rec league game, except online (and with guys who had mad skills).

Though Thomas cannot promise anything, he also sincerely did not rule out My Crew's return in future editions, attributing its absence in NBA 2K12 solely to the new codebase.

Read the entire article, right here.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BlackRome @ 10/29/11 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloNYK7
This man speaks the truth... I'm getting tired of all these offline players who play the CPU all day with adjusted sliders (cheese) and make smart remarks when the online base is not happy with the BS that is going on
Couldn't have said it better.

# 22 rangerrick012 @ 10/29/11 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
How is that, they tried to so something in a year that should have taken at lease 2 then they give us a patch 9 days later, yeah 2k owes us, some of you need to grow up, every modern game offers DLC and somehow 2k is trying to screw us.
Yeah I definitely said that 2K owes us. Read my post again sir.

They definitely should have been more up front about things like lobbies, customizable sliders, and crew being out. Instead it was all roses in the leadup to release, and it seemed like 2K was trying to hide the fact that these major online features would be missing.

I'm not mad, I'm still enjoying the game for what it is at this point. But 2K certainly was misleading to a degree, especially in the OA insight when they said league commissioners would be able to control every aspect of the league when they can't even customize sliders and can only boot or promote other users, from what I've seen.

# 23 Pared @ 10/29/11 12:28 PM
Guys, settle down. Bickering back and forth doesn't offer anything productive.

# 24 LRBTODAY @ 10/29/11 12:38 PM
I honestly don't have any problems playing online at all. Maybe it's because I just don't play it as much as others simply because I have so much going on that I don't get the same experience as others. If you don't like the game don't buy it. Barkley's is not going to be in this yrs game and neither is Crew. I wanted them in the game as well, but I did get the best Basketball game I've ever played. Peace....................

# 25 HeavenlyTouch @ 10/29/11 01:07 PM
All this article did was make me more frustrated with the company and the game..

1. What is he supposed to answer to these questions? It's all politically correct.. "yes of course we messed up, and yeah we're not working on fixing it because we care more about your money".. well that is definitely not going to happen so he'll give the answer everyone wants to hear "we have a top team working on it".

2. They have been using the same online code since Dreamcast? They've been receiving complaints about their online play for many years.. why is this the first year that they are finally 'addressing the issue'? (Which they haven't done so yet other than claim to do so in this article).. claiming they re-wrote the code and such and didn't have time to test it.. you shouldn't release a half done game and expect that the patches will take care of it because all you do is piss off your client base and make them wait..

# 26 HeavenlyTouch @ 10/29/11 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IV THA UNITY
I would definitely like to see a postmortem report on how they continue to develop this game year after year and not fix the online issues. I mean the gameplay is fine, stop re inventing it and polish it and reallly fix the online. Then go back to adding features once the game actually works online as intended.

For me I look at it this way, if the gameplay is solid why not fix the one issue thats been bogging you down for years, instead of adding an existing element like online association when the online portion doesn't even work? This is not rocket science, maybe they need dedi servers. At least they to my knowledge I would think they would be better equipped to solve issues that arise quicker than having to wait 2 - 6 months to get the game somewhat playable online. I really want to play the game online but its been collecting dust for about two weeks now due to online being a wash.
While I agree with all of the things you said.. your casual gamers care about 'new features'.. people buy games when they know something new is in it.. it's the biggest gimmick there is.. to a hardcore guy such as yourself you will want some improved gameplay/animations and to fix the issues that were persistent in past titles.. but for the guy who buys it every few years or they want that person to get back to buying their title.. they will put things like 'my legend' for some guys who might be retro and consider going back and playing as some of the oldschool guys and such.. features sell games.. thats the truth.. in reality.. COD has been the same game for years now with the exact same engine, but they add some new classes and maps and people think act like it's a brand new game..

# 27 ecworldwide @ 10/29/11 01:28 PM
They have a new article about online and it says they took some online features out because of they where running on a old dreamcast code. But may be added next year but, my question is if you knew this 2K Why charge everyone $60 dollars for any unfinished game!?

THATS NOT RIGHT AND THATS NOT FAIR!

# 28 ecworldwide @ 10/29/11 01:30 PM
SIM NATION ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION AND I HOPE ITS NOT TRUE. IS 2K MUTATING INTO EA? ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

# 29 ksolo12 @ 10/29/11 02:30 PM
As soon as they mentioned Dreamcast and same servers in the article I knew it was bad. Every year the online sucks and it seems like this year the community has finally got their attention.

# 30 MarvellousOne @ 10/29/11 02:34 PM
Just tried 4 times in a row to play online with one of my friends and we got disconnected every time in the first quarter...I thought the patch was suppose to fix some of these issues...not sure what is going on with 2K and these online issues but maybe they just need a whole new online server.

# 31 qnzballa5 @ 10/30/11 01:12 PM
2k12 is a Fail Online Period...

# 32 NINJAK2 @ 10/30/11 01:56 PM
Man they just now switched from Dreamcast online code?..Jeesh!

# 33 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 10/31/11 07:50 AM
Sooooo you take away CREW MODE because your subpar online system won't support it... but you want to charge EXTRA for DLC which introduces ADDITIONAL BURDENS to your already malfunctioning online system??

JUST CALL US "SUCKERS" IF THAT'S WHAT YOU HONESTLY THINK WE ARE.

THIS WAS MY LAST YEAR PURCHASING NBA2broKen.

I WILL BITE THE BULLET UNTIL A LEGITIMATE, REPUTABLE COMPANY OFFERS AN "AS-ADVERTISED" NBA GAME.

http://www.operationsports.com/Blak_Baki_Hanma/blog/15317-nba2k12-and-the-3pt-shot/

# 34 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/31/11 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
How is that, they tried to so something in a year that should have taken at lease 2 then they give us a patch 9 days later, yeah 2k owes us, some of you need to grow up, every modern game offers DLC and somehow 2k is trying to screw us.
Someone completely missed the point. They removed features, gave us an online association with no customizability. The same problems with the "old database are just as prevelant in the new one, with some new additional problems. This has nothing to do with the legends pack, but throwing something like that out, when you have ruined 3 online modes, and taken all custmizability away from the handed leaves a real sour taste in the consumers mouth.

I'm gonna be honest, if I knew that online leagues were gone, online association stripped all control from admins, and they removed lobbies, I would have passed on 2k12. The legends are a nice touch, but I like to run leagues with my friends in sports games. 2k11 had an excellent league system, it wasn't completely perfect, but it was, BY FAR, THE BEST ONE OUT THERE! Scrapping it and leaving this online association that sims games, does not give you an ability to reset, won't let you temporarily boot a guy who can't play his games so the party who can play in the time frame, so the other guy can try against the computer, if you boot, they are gone forever. The ridiculous locked schedule to begin with. The lack of using our own slider sets to compensate for the lack of fatigue, or the obscene amount of bad shots that happen to drop. Just too many things wrong. What exactly did they give us in working condition, that should have taken them 2 years but they finished in 1?

# 35 swimfunk @ 10/31/11 05:05 PM
I still find it funny that Online Association has 40 eligible seasons but with the time frame of advances you will only make it season 10-12 by the time 2k13 hits. The lack of customization in "private" associations demonstrates their flat out lies in the Online Association insight. The only thing that seperates a private and public OA is a password. I'm not even going to get into the "launching soon" message for nba2k.com.
2K completely ruined an online community. The only method of communication is twitter, in which Ronnie answers questions that have already been answered and posts his my player scoring records. He's completely acted like 2K online is in a good state. The 2K forums are a complete joke and have been abandoned in hopes for nba2k.com.
All in all, it could have been a lot smoother. 2K took away all the tools of a good league that made them the best in sports gaming (sliders, someone to re-enter lg, reset gm, flex schedule, etc)

# 36 MG2PRime @ 10/31/11 06:15 PM
Ask Thomas, why nba 2k12 on the ps2 is not good.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.