Home
News Post

Check out the new MLB 12 The Show screenshots, showing off the new default camera view, as well as a few other tidbits. Can you find them all?

Click here for a higher resolution screenshot.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 341 Blzer @ 01/06/12 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickieWR18
if you could add the option for when created players celebrate... like hitting a go ahead homer late in the game, not celebrating at all and being modest... and how much you celebrate that would be awesome and that could affect a players ego and then big city teams would be more prone to have big headed guys until new management comes in like the cubs with big z... that way manager personalities would also be realistic. you could add interviews too. because i'm tired of my guy jumping around like a lunatic when he hits a homer and i'm losing by 5... love the rest of the game though

sorry about the last one it was kinda hard to read
This was easier?

# 342 BrickieWR18 @ 01/06/12 09:28 PM
if you could choose when your player celebrates... and that affects his ego. because i'm tired of my guy jumping around like a lunatic when he hits a homer and i'm losing by 5

# 343 Doormat @ 01/06/12 11:34 PM
Nice to see the changes to the scoreboard on top of the screen. I might be wrong but I think you guys also changed up Adrian's batting stance :P can't wait to play this game, 2 months feels so far

# 344 Blzer @ 01/06/12 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWayneFTW
Nice to see the changes to the scoreboard on top of the screen. I might be wrong but I think you guys also changed up Adrian's batting stance :P can't wait to play this game, 2 months feels so far
The scoreboard looks the same, does it not?

Adrian's stance is probably different this year with him coming into the studio to mo-cap himself, one would imagine. His stance is a little tough to translate to a video game though, because it's not really that much of a rhythmic motion, and is instead just kind of relaxed and all timed with the pitch, along with the load. If he was mo-capped, I wonder how "natural" it will look in comparison. It sure is different from last year's stance, though.

# 345 Doormat @ 01/07/12 12:01 AM
Haha not sure if I called it right, I forgot what it's really called..
in 11 it was all white only this time they added some black

# 346 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 01/07/12 03:33 PM
Quote:
It's called the score bar and yes it's quite different and really looks like one you would see on a broadcast now

# 347 Blzer @ 01/07/12 03:39 PM
Quote:
Oooh haha I was looking at the Camden Yards scoreboard. Yes, the score bar/bug has changed, probably for the better.

# 348 Aussie141414 @ 01/08/12 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
that last shot is heaven.
Everything looks great except for every pitch having the rotation as a 2 seam fastball. Have been wanting this to be changed for the past 3 years, but nothing has ever been done. Weird how a curveball and four seam fastball have the same rotation.

# 349 Skyboxer @ 01/08/12 06:58 PM
Love what I see.
Cant wait to get it.

# 350 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/12 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie141414
Everything looks great except for every pitch having the rotation as a 2 seam fastball. Have been wanting this to be changed for the past 3 years, but nothing has ever been done. Weird how a curveball and four seam fastball have the same rotation.
New ball physics may have granted your wish...

# 351 WarningTrackPower @ 01/09/12 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
New ball physics may have granted your wish...

Any chance these new ball physics will lead to less opposite field homeruns on inside pitches? It was frustrating when a player swings late on a fastball up and in, only to hit a bomb to the opposite field. I hit as many as I gave up so at least it was somewhat even, but whenever they happened it would usually leave me shaking my head.

# 352 Bobhead @ 01/09/12 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarningTrackPower
Any chance these new ball physics will lead to less opposite field homeruns on inside pitches? It was frustrating when a player swings late on a fastball up and in, only to hit a bomb to the opposite field. I hit as many as I gave up so at least it was somewhat even, but whenever they happened it would usually leave me shaking my head.
Most opposite field home runs ARE on middle/inside pitches. The outside ones are the easiest ones to pull.

# 353 Blzer @ 01/09/12 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Most opposite field home runs ARE on middle/inside pitches. The outside ones are the easiest ones to pull.
Are you claiming this is how the game does it, or how it is in real life?

If the latter, I'm prepared to write an essay on how factually incorrect you are... and you know how much I like to write essays.

# 354 nomo17k @ 01/09/12 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

If the latter, I'm prepared to write an essay on how factually incorrect you are... and you know how much I like to write essays.
I'm actually curious about how the inside pitch issue should be addressed. While I think you can pull both inside and outside pitches, I bet you cannot really hit an inside pitch with some authority to the opposite field.

A vast majority of HRs are mid to inside over the plate, hit to the pull side:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...ome-run-pitch/

# 355 Bobhead @ 01/09/12 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

I did mean the latter (real life), and please do, I'd actually be interested in reading it.

Just to reiterate what I said so you know what you're responding to:

I'm not saying oppo. HRs are easy or anything. I'm just saying of the ones hit, the minority are from pitches on the outside portion of the plate.

I also believe that pitches over the middle or outside (but still in the strike zone) are by far the easiest ones to pull, because full arm extension is easier and less awkward.

And finally, realize that both of the above statements were intended to refer specifically to fastballs, since that is what warningtrackpower was talking about when I quoted him, but I'd like to see your essay on pitches in general either way.

# 356 nomo17k @ 01/09/12 08:10 PM
I'm curious to read as well. I think it was Blzer who a while ago wrote a nice post about swing mechanics on what essentially is the same topic. If the inside-out swing leading to opposite HRs issue isn't address in MLB12, the issue will probably be brought up several times in coming months, haha.

EDIT: Found Blzer's post.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042388850

# 357 WarningTrackPower @ 01/09/12 08:59 PM
I'm no hitting coach, nor do I claim to know everything about swing mechanics so my post will be based on my own personal experiences.

(for argument's sake - let's say fastball, though I'm not sure if pitch type really matters and let's say inside = the inner 3rd of the strike zone to the inner black)

When swinging late on an inside pitch, you're not able to get the barrel of the bat on the ball and will most likely hit the ball off the handle. A ball off the handle will usually lead to a weak hit to the opposite side.

As far as hitting a ball on the outer third of the zone and pulling it for a homerun... In my experiences, these have usually been weak hits to the pull side because you're out in front of a pitch that you're trying to pull. Your front shoulder will probably fly open too early and you'll hit that ball off the end of the bat. Though, I'm not saying that it's impossible to pull a HR, or hit a rocket on these pitches... I guess it all depends on how early you are on this outside pitch.

# 358 nomo17k @ 01/09/12 09:36 PM
Not so scientific, but just by quickly searching the MLB videos with "opposite-field home run", at least the ones found in the first page or two, I'd say a vast majority of opposite HRs are middle/outside pitches.

I couldn't find another good video for this purpose, but this one is a collection of opposite-field HRs in the Japanese league (hey it's still baseball... can't be that different....) Quality is bad as most cuts are from 90s...

Some data points there.

# 359 nomo17k @ 01/09/12 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarningTrackPower
As far as hitting a ball on the outer third of the zone and pulling it for a homerun... In my experiences, these have usually been weak hits to the pull side because you're out in front of a pitch that you're trying to pull. Your front shoulder will probably fly open too early and you'll hit that ball off the end of the bat. Though, I'm not saying that it's impossible to pull a HR, or hit a rocket on these pitches... I guess it all depends on how early you are on this outside pitch.
I think this is commonly believed... A left-handed power hitter who tends to pull outside pitches often ends up hitting grounders to 2B, and that's one of the reasons why you want to use the extreme fielding shift against him, bringing SS over to 2B, 3B to SS, etc. I he tries to go opposite way (despite the lack of skill to do so), you are successful in depriving him of power that way.

# 360 ksig24 @ 01/09/12 11:04 PM
This is a great reason why "bat speed" should be an attribute.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.