Home
News Post

PSNation has posted their day 1 MLB 12 The Show hands-on impressions.

Quote:
Today, many of us used the time to simply dig-in to the game and experience the new features and changes. Visually, it’s pretty similar, but the list of fixes, changes, redesigns, and other features is pages long. One of the first changes we noticed right away is the all new physics engine applied to the Baseball. The old system was completely ripped-out and replaced with an all-new system, and the change is immediately noticeable. The ball reacts to everything in the environment as it actually should. When you see the ball jump off of the bat, the path and trajectory that the ball takes feels incredibly natural. I actually hope to talk to the brains behind this new engine, and obviously, if I do I’ll post anything I find out. For now, let’s just say, if you’ve ever actually played the game of Baseball, you know, on a field and stuff, that the Baseball in MLB 12 The Show actually reacts to everything like it did when you were playing. It’s damned impressive and really impacts the game and how you play it. Hits don’t seem “formulaic” or “canned” as in years past, and even on this first “half-day” that consisted of about 10 hours, we’ve already heard many instances when someone yells “did you just see that?!?!” Of course, there are many more changes and fixes, and trust me, I’ll cover as much as I can (there’s so much, and also, some things I still am not allowed to talk about.)

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 tvman @ 01/18/12 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the info.

I gotta say though that it appears as if some of the gamers could actually use a little onfield action!

# 22 Geronimo22 @ 01/18/12 03:45 PM
I'm really curious about the Pulse pitching. And I've always though broadcast cam had potential. Can't wait to hear about it.

# 23 DamnYanks2 @ 01/18/12 06:33 PM
So besides Russel, are those OS'ers sitting in that room, and who are they?

# 24 42 @ 01/18/12 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Good read, although the part about Pulse Pitching and Broadcast Camera had me worried a little bit.

DJ, I'm using Pulse Pitching w/ Broadcast Cam on the Vita as we speak (will be my Pitching choice for this year... Love it!) - going from my HDTV to the Vita there was an adjustment period (at least for me) but should you be worried? Not at all!

FYI, I never owned a PSP - probably another reason why it took me a bit to get comfortable.

Bottom line, the game looks fantastic and gameplay is extremely fluid. I'm enjoying every minute with this device and I'm looking forward to purchasing one upon it's US release - I was sold the moment I saw this in action.

For the Poster who asked about turning off the Foul/Out graphic - you can't. Hopefully it'll be an option next year.. I passed on the word about that.

# 25 Doormat @ 01/18/12 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
For the Poster who asked about turning off the Foul/Out graphic - you can't. Hopefully it'll be an option next year.. I passed on the word about that.
Ahh thanks, doesn't really change my view on getting it but hopefully it does gets implemented next year. Looking forward to getting the Vita version

# 26 bcruise @ 01/19/12 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos
42, is that a real cat lol. What and the god did you do to him?! Rippin' up those tables like a pro haha. I bet he didn't choose that uni himself!
You do not know the power of the DJ Kitty.

http://procatinator.com/?cat=76

# 27 brett the jet favre @ 01/19/12 02:12 AM
Ahh, so excited, can't wait!

# 28 Super Glock @ 01/19/12 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Good read, although the part about Pulse Pitching and Broadcast Camera had me worried a little bit.
Also worried about the comment regarding Pulse Pitching and Broadcast Camera on the PS3 version. Would like to hear more about it.

Edit: Never mind, after reading it again it sounds like an issue on the Vita.

# 29 tnixen @ 01/19/12 11:18 AM
They also now have a podcast up and a report from San Diego

And there is a very exciting tidbit about online this year

MLB 12 The Show talk starts around 1:41:50 into it.

http://www.psnation.org/2012/01/18/e...-less-tangent/

# 30 tko27 @ 01/19/12 01:16 PM
Please please please tell me this:

1) Is online franchise still an option and did they fix the scheduling? Last year I could play an online franchise with a friend (me Rockies him Cardinals) but the schedule was a major problem. All games alternated home-road-home-road etc.

2) Is co-op online franchise an option this year? I've been crossing my fingers since last year. They are so close with online franchise, did they add a co-op option?

Thanks! Keep up the good work.

# 31 LastActionHero @ 01/19/12 02:31 PM
Did he say SERVERS this year!?

# 32 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/19/12 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Did he say SERVERS this year!?
Yep, dedicated. No more peer to peer.

# 33 nomo17k @ 01/19/12 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I wonder if that actually makes online play less laggy. Sure, some things will definitely be better (like detecting deliberate disconnects, etc.), but I tend to think adding a "middle-man" doesn't necessarily make the connection smoother.

Guess we'll see how you guys think of online modes, as you test things (heard on the podcast that's on your table for Thurs.).

# 34 authentic @ 01/19/12 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Wow. MLB 12 The Show has dedicated servers and the great Call of Duty doesn't. Another big step for online gamers.

# 35 AtlantaBraves22 @ 01/19/12 11:17 PM
Can someone explain to me what it means for a game to have dedicated servers? What changes?

# 36 jkra0512 @ 01/19/12 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBraves22
Can someone explain to me what it means for a game to have dedicated servers? What changes?
Basically, The Show will have servers available to host games on their end, which presumably make playing online faster. Peer-to-Peer hosting relies on one of the people playing the actual game to host the server, which is much slower because it comes from a slower connection.

# 37 AtlantaBraves22 @ 01/20/12 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
Basically, The Show will have servers available to host games on their end, which presumably make playing online faster. Peer-to-Peer hosting relies on one of the people playing the actual game to host the server, which is much slower because it comes from a slower connection.
ok thanks man, that sounds like its going to make it a lot better

# 38 jkra0512 @ 01/20/12 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBraves22
ok thanks man, that sounds like its going to make it a lot better
Maybe a better way of visualizing it is downloading a song from your friend's computer using the internet would be much slower than downloading that same song from a dedicated server from the record company.

Before, we had to rely on our friend's connection to the internet to gauge how reliable and quick the game played online head-to-head (other computers connected to their network took bandwidth away from the PS3 and slows the overall connection down.) Now, with dedicated servers from SCEA, the connection is more stable and completely dedicated to the game you're playing and not being slowed down by other outside influences, as such other computers connected to the network sucking away bandwidth.

# 39 nomo17k @ 01/20/12 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
Maybe a better way of visualizing it is downloading a song from your friend's computer using the internet would be much slower than downloading that same song from a dedicated server from the record company.

Before, we had to rely on our friend's connection to the internet to gauge how reliable and quick the game played online head-to-head (other computers connected to their network took bandwidth away from the PS3 and slows the overall connection down.) Now, with dedicated servers from SCEA, the connection is more stable and completely dedicated to the game you're playing and not being slowed down by other outside influences, as such other computers connected to the network sucking away bandwidth.
Not to be a downer but this isn't necessarily true though. If your opponent's network to the dedicated server is much slower than yours (to the server), it's still likely the slower one is going to be the bottleneck.

I transfer a large amount of files between computers all the time, and in general, P2P is still much faster than having another server in between.

I'm curious what aspect of online gaming is going to be improved by the new scheme though.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.